The Kingdom Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Lad, that's a very good question. Unfortunately, your conclusions have missed the mark."

I look at him questioningly.

"The Duchess told me you're good with numbers, so let me ask you this. Which weapon smith is more successful, the one who crafts five swords in one day or the one who crafts one sword in one day?"

"The first one," I answer. "He's made five times as much money."

The Captain looks at me appraisingly. "Okay, let's say that's true. How about this? Let's say you're on the battlefield, in the middle of combat, and one of your five swords breaks. You quickly grab the second sword, but after a few blows, it too breaks. Then the third. Then the fourth. How confident would you feel about pulling out that last sword to defend yourself?"

"Not at all sir."

"Exactly. You know it's going to break. So does your opponent, the one who purchased the lone sword made in one day. Craftsmanship takes time. A hastily crafted sword is worthless."

"I see your point."

"Good lad, but we're not done yet. Let's say for a minute that the first man, having no sword left, somehow escaped the battle. Do you think he'd go back to that same weapon smith next time?"

"No sir."

"No. Unfortunately, most wouldn't make it out of that battle, and therefore the bad report of poor workmanship might never get around. Dead men tell no tales.

"However, sometimes a fool does escape. That fool now knows the value of a good blade and is willing to pay the price. You see, that one well-crafted blade cost more than the other five combined.

"This weapon smith," he gestures, "is a blade master. Compared to others, not many blades are crafted here, but what is crafted is very expensive, but worth the cost."

Saying no more, he opens the door and enters. The shop is small, with only a couple dozen weapons on display. Sunlight filters in through small windows in the rear of the structure. Captain Kendric leads me to the back door where the smith is facing away from us, inspecting a newly forged blade.

"Hello Corinne."

The smith pauses, then slowly turns around. Before me stands a woman barely five feet tall, with dark hair, perhaps thirty years of age, and quite attractive. That is, if you find grimy, sweaty, hammer-wielding women attractive. I try not to let my surprise show.

"Kendric?" She carefully sets the blade down, removes her gloves and walks over. She hugs the Captain fiercely, who hugs her back just as fiercely.

"It's been too long," she says, backing up and holding him at arm's length. "How have you been? What are you doing in Carnelia?"

"I'm traveling with the Duchess. We're only here for a short time. I've been well. And you?" He looks at her, evidently concerned.

"I've... been good. Things were tough at first, but the days go by and... you learn to adjust. I spend most of my time at the anvil." She gestures with her head.

"Well... if you have some time... I'd like..." he says nervously.

Corinne listens attentively and watches his face expectantly, as if holding her breath. So do I.

Captain Kendric sees me out of the corner of his eye and suddenly remembers why we're here.

"I'd like... you to meet Quillion." He turns to me, his face red. Is he blushing?

Corinne turns to greet me. "Hello Quillion. Are you his latest student?"

"Yes m'lady."

She smiles and laughs. "M'lady? I'm afraid you're in the wrong part of the city! But I appreciate the compliment."

"Would Blade Master Corinne be more appropriate?" I ask.

She looks at me, then at Kendric. She purses her lips. Kendric merely smiles at her and shrugs. She turns back to me and answers, "That would be fine Quillion. Now, what can I do for you?"

The rest of our visit is spent discussing weights of blades and fighting techniques. Previously, I would have been bored with such a topic, but many of the questions are mine to answer. Since the blade she's planning will be designed specifically for me, my input is important. By the time it's over, we all agree on the design and I'm excited to see the final product.

As goodbyes are exchanged, Corinne encourages Kendric to visit her again at least once before he leaves the city, and not just to pick up the blades. They hug one more time before the two of us begin our walk back to the castle.

"Captain Kendric?"

"Yes Quillion."

"May I ask a question?"

"Yes Quillion."

"What happened to Blade Master Corinne?"

"I don't understand. What do you mean?"

"Well, when we first arrived, you asked how she was, as though you were concerned about her."

He's quiet for a few moments, then replies, "She lost someone close to her."

"Her husband?"

"No. Her brother. He was a good friend of mine. That's how I know her. He was several years older than her and became a weapon smith first. She became interested in the work as she came of age. Others laughed, but he believed in her. Everything he learned, he passed on to her. Eventually, they were both masters of the trade. They ran this shop together until he died. That was three years ago."

"Did he fall ill?" I ask, trying to sound respectful.

"No. He was killed by bandits on the road between here and Jasper. He was delivering a sword he'd made as a gift, for me. There were five of them. He killed four of them before he died. The leader escaped and took the sword with him."

"I'm sorry Captain. I didn't mean to bring up bad memories," I say apologetically.

"That's okay lad. You couldn't have known."

"Did they ever catch the bandit?" I ask.

"No, but I'm hoping some day that I'll find the man and make him pay for it."

"Maybe we'll find him on this journey," I say encouragingly.

"Maybe. And maybe you can cover my back while he and I duel," he suggests.

I try to imagine such a thing happening. It seems too much of a fantasy right now. I'll need to become much more skilled if I'm going to fight alongside Kendric.

"You like her, don't you?" I ask.

"Corinne? She's nice enough. She's my friend's sister. I care about her well-being."

"I think it's more than that."

"That's not your concern lad."

"It's obvious she likes you."

"What?" He stops and looks at me.

"She likes you. You were going to ask to see her again before we leave the city."

"What are you? A mind reader?" He turns and keeps walking.

"No, but I could see the hope on her face, but you didn't finish your sentence. Then she looked a little sad."

Kendric doesn't reply.

"You should go see her again before we leave Carnelia."

"Maybe I will," he says noncommittally.

We continue through the crowds until he leads me to a third shop to pick up items for the Duchess. At the counter, Kendric speaks to the clerk, who goes into the back for a few moments, then brings out a package wrapped in plain cloth, lightweight, about the size of a pillow. Kendric hands me the package then pays the clerk before we leave to go back to the castle.

I don't push Kendric further about Corinne, but I have an idea.

§ 7 ~ Ministration

Later that night, long after dinner, Teritha finds Lisbeth, Micaelah and I in her sitting chamber, talking. We all stand up as she closes the door behind her.

"Good evening m'lady. How was dinner?" I inquire.

She walks directly up to me and looks me straight in the eye.

"Positively dreadful. Thank you for asking." Out of the corner of my eye, I see Lisbeth smile.

"Would m'lady like me to have her bath prepared?" Micaelah asks.

"No, I don't think so. I think I'll just brood in front of the fire."

"I'll take care of that right away," I say, trying not to smile.

"Thank you Quill. Micaelah, Lisbeth, help me out of this outfit and into something more comfortable." Teritha walks into the bedroom with the younger ladies in tow.

Several minutes later, they all emerge wearing pajamas with light robes. Teritha unceremoniously plops down in a comfortable chair in front of the fire while the rest of us hover nearby.

"Quill, go fetch me something from the kitchen. Something strong. A decanter of red wine would be ideal. Micaelah, please grab a brush and do me the honor. Lisbeth, would you massage my temples?"

I make haste to the kitchen for the wine. I return to find Micaelah slowly brushing Teritha's hair and Lisbeth giving her sister a facial massage.

"Oh Quill, I can't thank you enough," Teritha says, seeing the wine. "That was fast. You must have run the entire way. I hope you didn't spill any." She laughs at herself.

I pour a glass of chilled wine and hand it to her. She sits up and swallows it down in one gulp, then holds out the empty glass. I refill it. That too she swallows down in one gulp then holds out the empty glass again. I fill it a third time. This time, she drinks only half of it, then reclines back in the chair again.

Micaelah continues to brush Teritha's hair for several more minutes. When Teritha finishes her glass of wine, Lisbeth suggests, "Would you care for a back massage Teritha?"

"Yes, I think that would be wonderful." She gets up and hands me the empty glass.

"Thank you both for helping me calm down from that horrible meeting with those impossible people."

"You're welcome Teritha," they both reply.

Teritha removes her robe. Now clad in only her pajamas, she lays down on her stomach on the couch.

"Micaelah, please grab a pillow for me." Micaelah fetches a pillow and places it under Teritha's head. Lisbeth begins to knead her sister's back muscles.

"Quill, please fetch three more glasses, then pour a glass of wine for the each of you. Our journey has only begun and I'm afraid it's only going to get longer."

I do as she says, handing the other two a glass of wine.

"Drink up!" Teritha commands. "I insist!" She laughs again.

We each drink some of our wine. Lisbeth sets her glass down and begins massaging again.

"Lisbeth, Micaelah. Would each of you please massage my feet. Quill, use those strong hands of yours on my back. Don't break anything but be firm."

I look at Lisbeth and Micaelah. They shrug and move into position on either side of Teritha. I sit down next to her and slowly knead Teritha's back muscles, locating and attacking the knots ruthlessly, easing up every few seconds before pressing again.

"You're all doing a magnificent job," Teritha says, her speech slurred. After fifteen more minutes, she instructs us to massage lightly, and to spread out. Micaelah and Lisbeth move to massage each of Teritha's legs. I begin working on her shoulders, arms and neck muscles.

Fifteen minutes later, Micaelah says, "M'lady?" Teritha doesn't answer, so she tries again. "M'lady?" She looks up. "I think she's asleep. Should we leave her here?"

"No," I say. "She'll be awfully sore in the morning if we do. Help me. I'll carry her to her bed."

Together, we gently roll her over until I have her securely cradled in my arms. I carry her carefully to her room. Micaelah runs ahead and pulls the covers back before I get there. I lay Teritha down gently and Lisbeth tucks her in. We go back out to the sitting area, quietly closing the door behind us.

We gather our glasses of wine, then sit by the fire, talking.

"Has she ever done this before?" I ask.

"Once or twice," Lisbeth says. "It must have been a really tough meeting, or maybe she didn't sleep well last night. Or both."

"Those other times, how long did she sleep?"

"Most of the night, although last time she woke up hours before daylight and came to lay in bed with me. She didn't talk. She just wanted the company I think."

"Well, maybe we should go to bed early then, in case she wakes up and wants us to be awake with her."

Agreeing that is a strong possibility, we finish our wine and turn in for the night. My words turn out to be somewhat prophetic, although not for Lisbeth or Micaelah.

I'm awakened in the dead of the night when I feel someone crawl in bed with me. She snuggles up close, so I place my arm around her comfortingly.

"Are you okay?" I ask quietly.

"I am now," she whispers. "I'm sorry Quill. I probably made a fool of myself earlier, and it's not fair to you assuming you're okay with me crawling into your bed like this. I just thought maybe..."

"That when I said I liked you, I meant it?" I suggest.

"Yes."

"I do like you Teritha. You're a very likable person. It's just that... well... you're the Duchess, and I'm... well... I'm nobody. I'm just a page."

"Quill, don't ever believe you're nobody," she says. "A fancy title doesn't mean anything. I've met countless people with fancy titles and at least half of them don't deserve the respect it brings. Yes, I am a dutchess and you are a page, but not right now. Right now, you're Quill and I'm Teritha. Right now, I'm not your ruler and you're not my subject... or my servant. Right now, we're just a young man and a young woman sharing a bed."

As I ponder her words, she adds, "Quill, I don't want you to feel compelled to feel something you don't, or do anything with me in private if you don't want to. I don't want you to feel like you're being used. I won't try to coerce you or punish you if this is not what you want. I like you Quill. The Duchess likes you because you're trustworthy, reliable and quick-witted. Teritha likes you because you're kind, honest and you care about others, especially her."

Her words move me. I do care about her, so I pull her tighter against me, enjoying this time of intimacy, simply holding one another. Even if things don't work out in the long run, I'm glad we're able to share this experience.

"Thank you Teritha."

"For what?"

"For caring about me as a person."

"Thank you Quill."

"For what?"

"The same. And for carrying me into my bedroom. You were very gentle."

She finds my face in the dark and kisses me, then lays her head back down on my chest. We slowly fade into sleep.

My dreams are peaceful, interrupted only briefly when I sense Teritha leaving my bed just before dawn.

§ 8 ~ Gratification

It seems as though every meal has been an extravagant affair since we arrived two days ago. But not for me. Or for Lisbeth or Micaelah. The three of us eat off simple plates in the kitchen, huddled around a small table in the corner. Norgin always eats his meals alone in his room, so the three of us have had a lot of time together lately where we're able to speak freely.

The girls mostly talk to each other though, about what they've seen, who they've seen, who was wearing what, and other topics that haven't particularly interested me.

So I usually just eat my food and keep quiet, occasionally glancing at Lisbeth, wondering what her sister said about me, or if I was even discussed.

Lisbeth meets my gaze sometimes, but her expression is typically unreadable, probably because of her time pretending to be the Duchess.

Today has been no different. Finished with my lunch, I stand up, preparing to leave.

"Quillion, will you be a gentleman and walk with us in the Grove?" Lisbeth asks, smiling warmly.

The castle has an enclosed garden area specifically for the Duke, his family and their noble guests, but there is also a large park filled with trees of all sizes, shrubs, even a pond, with trails and benches scattered about, that any of the castle guests or staff are free to enjoy.

Since the Duchess released the three of us for most of the afternoon, merely requiring us back in her suite by dinner time, unless she sends for us sooner of course, I decide it's as good a way to spend the afternoon as anything else I can think of. Perhaps I'll have a chance to speak with Lisbeth alone during the walk.

"I would be honored, Lisbeth, Micaelah." Micaelah bats her eyelashes at me and smiles. "Would you like to retrieve anything from your room first or shall we go there directly?"

"We're ready now," Lisbeth replies, giving Micaelah a meaningful look.

The three of us make our way outside and follow the instructions given to us by one of the castle guards. When we reach the entrance to the Grove, the beauty of the place takes my breath away, and so does the immensity of it. Lisbeth and Micaelah are likewise impressed, their expressions filled with wonder.

"Ladies," I say, offering each an arm. They both smile at me, accepting the gesture. With a beautiful young maiden on each arm, I stroll along the trails, winding through smaller groves, trimmed hedges, along the brook feeding the pond, eventually to a bench at the end of a narrower side trail. Having walked and talked for almost an hour, we all agree to sit for a while and rest.

We sit in silence for maybe ten minutes, simply enjoying the sound of the breeze and the beauty of our surroundings. The silence is broken by Lisbeth.

"Quill."

"Yes Lisbeth?" I reply.

"Do you think I'm pretty?"

Feeling awkward in front of Micaelah, unsure how much I should say, I give her what I believe to be a safe reply.

"Why... yes Lisbeth. I think you're very pretty."

"What about me Quillion?" Micaelah asks, startling me. "Do you think I'm pretty?"

I look at Micaelah, trying to determine if she's serious or if this is some prank they've devised and are now playing on me. But she appears as though she really wants to know, so I play along.

"Why... yes Micaelah. I think you're pretty too." I look around at the scenery as though their questions were as benign as discussing the trees.

"Would you like to kiss me?" Micaelah asks me.

I look at her in disbelief. She smiles at me. I turn to look at Lisbeth to see her reaction. She appears to be waiting to see how I'll reply.

Thinking quickly, I answer, "Micaelah, I'm quite certain I would enjoy kissing you, but I wouldn't want to take advantage of you. I respect you too much to actually kiss you and bring your honor into question."

"So... you don't think I'm pretty enough," she states matter-of-factly.

I look at her, trying to come up with an answer to that even more unexpected statement, but before I am able to respond, she's apparently decided I was merely stalling, not taking her seriously. She grabs my head with both hands and kisses me full on the lips. She holds me there for a full five seconds before letting me go. Then she says, "Hmmmm. I thought it would be more exciting."

Confused, I just stare at her.

"Quill," says Lisbeth. I turn in her direction, dreading what's coming next, but she surprises me. "Would you like to kiss me?"

"Uhm... I'm... I'm not sure."

"What? How can you not be sure?"

"Uhm..."

"Well? Would you like to kiss me or not?"

I actually do want to kiss her, so I grab her head with both hands and kiss her full on the lips. She returns my kiss hesitantly. After our first moments of unsurety, both of us settle into the kiss more comfortably. Our tongues finally meet, share a little time together, then say goodbye. Backing up, we both look at each other and smile.

"You're a good kisser, Quill."

"So are you."

"Did I do it wrong?" Micaelah asks behind me. Lisbeth and I both look at her.

"No... " I say hesitantly. "I just wasn't expecting it. I was doing it wrong."

"Oh," she says, relieved. "Well, then, maybe we should try again."

I look back at Lisbeth. She just smiles at me, so I turn back to Micaelah. She's definitely pretty enough to kiss, even if she isn't actually as old as she claims. I decide to make the best of this awkward situation and make it a good experience for her too.

I gently take her head in my hands and pull her to me slowly. When our lips meet, I kiss her just like I kissed Lisbeth at first, then more passionately, like I kissed Teritha the other night. By the time the kiss is over and I pull back, Micaelah looks like she's ready to faint.

"Are you okay?" I ask her, concerned, holding her steady.

She looks at me dazedly. "I'm more than okay. That was wonderful."

"I think you should kiss me again," Lisbeth says, sounding envious.