The Kingdom Pt. 01

Story Info
A medieval fantasy filled with love, lust and treachery.
39.6k words
4.82
6.7k
25
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is an edited version. I cleaned up a bunch of little errors and fixed the timeline discrepancy. None of the actual story has changed. ;-) Thanks for reading. Let me know if you like it or what not. Feedback is appreciated!

The Kingdom - Part 1

§ 0 ~ Novation

They've always called me by the name of Quillion, as far back as I can remember, so I assume that's the name I was born with. You see, I was raised in the local orphanage in the Duchy of Jasper.

There are no children growing up on the streets here in the City of Jasper. Duke Grethley doesn't allow it, and ensures the orphanage has enough resources to care for every child who ends up under its roof.

Not that there aren't rich folks and poor folks. There are lots of each and more in between, but the Duke has a good heart, or so I was always told. His philosophy is that everyone has something to give, so we're also taught our letters and numbers there too.

Three years ago, at the age of fifteen, I caught the eye of a government official when I was running an errand on behalf of the administrator for the orphanage. He commended me on my manners and bearing, and was particularly impressed with my sharp mind when it came to numbers. Seeing great potential in me, he offered me a position in his own household working alongside his chamberlain.

But that position ended a couple months ago when he moved away. He was a conscientious master, so prior to his departure, he secured for me a position in the castle serving Duke Grethley.

However, the Duke decided just last week to assign me as a servant to his wife, since she would soon be traveling to each of the duchies within the kingdom. So now, at eighteen years old, I'm a Page for Dutchess Teritha, about to go on a long journey. Naturally, I am beyond excited to see the outside world.

I suppose I should mention a little bit about her, since she's kind of important to my life story.

Dutchess Teritha is a kind lady, quite regal, quite beautiful and quite young considering the age of her husband. The Duke was previously married and his first wife bore him three sons. Sadly, the woman died seven years ago during a riding accident.

Less than two years later, the Duke, only forty-five years old at the time, decided to remarry. Being a wealthy land-owner, families offered up their daughters like livestock for the slaughter. He quite literally had his pick of the litter, choosing Teritha, who was just pust her eighteenth birthday at the time.

During the first few months of their marriage, he practically doted on her, but when the thrill of having a new, young wife wore off, plus the fact that he already had three male heirs in line for succession, he lost interest in her as a husband to a wife, preferring the thrill of kingdom building instead.

I've secretly questioned his sanity since meeting Teritha, now twenty-three. A ravenous beauty with dark hair, occasionally sprinkled with gemstones, along with her preference for clothing accented in blue to set off her greyish blue eyes, and her spectacular bosom which she has no reservations about showing off, though subtly, leaves me convinced she may be the most beautiful woman I've ever seen.

But, despite his lack of interest in her physically, he recognized her sharp mind and effective charisma, so he tasked her with hosting guests and gathering information to bolster his social and political ambitions, until recently that is.

The current political situation among the various duchies demanded an emissary. Teritha was perfect for the task, so off she goes. Along for the journey will be several men-at-arms, two horses pulling the Dutchess' carriage, two horses pulling a second carriage, Norgin her Chamberlain, Lisbeth and Micaelah, her maids-in-waiting, and me.

I can't wait to see what adventure is out there just waiting for me to find.

§ 1 ~ Anticipation

Waiting patiently for the door to open, I try not to stare at Lisbeth. At almost nineteen, she's cute in a plain sort of way, certainly no beauty. Her five foot four inch frame is average, as are her grey eyes and black hair, but her bosom is exceptional. She hasn't said much to me since my assignment with the Dutchess, speaking to me only when necessary, but she's probably just being proper, focusing on her duties.

Today is Micaelah's turn to assist the Dutchess with her bathing and dressing, so Lisbeth is busying herself with the final packing for the trip.

Smiling at her politely, I pretend to examine the tapestries while stealing glances her way.

Finally, the bedchamber door opens. I stand up quickly, trying to put on my best appearance. The Dutchess glides in, clad in practical travel attire, albeit, very fancy travel attire. It accentuates her figure nicely.

"Are we packed yet Lisbeth?"

"Almost, m'lady. Just a few more items."

"Good, good. Thank you for keeping track of everything. You've always done a good job of that."

"Thank you m'lady. It's an honor to have the opportunity to serve you."

"Oh, nonsense. I know at least ten others that would be thrilled to have you as their maid-in-waiting. Just let me know if you receive a better offer. I'll gladly match it."

"M'lady is most generous," Lisbeth replies respectfully.

"More nonsense," the Dutchess counters. "It's easy to be generous with someone else's money. If you tell anyone I said that, I'll have you flogged."

"Of course m'lady, and I would deserve every lash," Lisbeth says, smiling.

"Of course you would. Now where's Micaelah?"

"Right here m'lady," she says, entering the room.

I heard through the grapevine that Micaelah is already twenty. She's much prettier than Lisbeth, but petite. Very petite. Just under five feet tall, her waif-like appearance makes her look much younger, and I wonder if she's really twenty, or if her parents lied to the Dutchess simply to get their daughter the position. She has barely any bosom to speak of, but she has pretty hazel eyes, long, wavy red hair, and is unreservedly friendly, having spoken to me many times. She's even giggled once or twice when no one was around to hear.

"Wonderful. Now, where's... Oh, there you are Quillion. Did you deliver my message to the Duke?"

"Yes m'lady, er... no m'lady," I stammer.

"Well? Which is it?" she asks.

"I mean, m'lady, that I delivered your message to the Duke's chamberlain. The Duke was in counsel with the master-at-arms and couldn't be disturbed."

"Very good Quillion. Thank you for clarifying and for being thorough. I'll know who to blame then if my message doesn't reach the Duke."

"M'lady?" My look of panic causes the Dutchess to produce a small laugh.

"Don't worry Quillion. I didn't mean you. I meant that oaf, the Duke's chamberlain. He's too uppity and may decide to burn the note instead of giving it to the Duke. I'm not sure what goes through his head sometimes, but I don't think he likes that I infiltrated his precious turf."

"Yes m'lady," I say agreeably.

"If you tell anyone I said that, I'll have you flogged."

"Yes m'lady."

"Very good then. Let's load up the carriage and be on our way. We mustn't keep the kingdom waiting."

§ 2 ~ Emulation

The first day of our journey is pleasant for traveling. The roads are fairly smooth so the carriages don't jostle around too much. The breeze is light, the temperature mild. Spring is here and so are the birds, their songs fill the air. It's everything I imagined an adventure would be.

Eight hours later, I wished I'd have been allowed to remain back at the castle. Having ridden in the second carriage the entire way with Norgin, who either ignored me or, more often, forced me to listen to his various monologues about politics and the nobility I'd be visiting, I was contemplating whether or not to run away the next time the carriage stopped.

Then it stopped.

Getting out quickly, as it's my job to assist the others with getting out of the carriages, I stamp the life back into my lower extremities while making my way to the carriage containing the Dutchess and her maids. As I lower the step and open the door, my eyes take in the view around me.

A small town surrounds our entourage where it has stopped in front of large inn named the Lady's Crown. The Dutchess takes my hand, allowing me to assist her, as do Lisbeth and Micaelah. Closing the door, I immediately go to fetch the luggage. Two boys, a few years younger than I, come out of the inn to assist. Mostly I direct them as to which items they should grab.

Then, with Kendric, the Captain of the Guard, leading the way, we follow the Dutchess into the inn and up the stairs to the main suite, made up of three adjoining rooms. I direct the lads to carry the luggage to the appropriate places, then follow them back out to gather the rest. Meanwhile, the Dutchess inspects the quarters with Captain Kendric.

Finally, everything is brought in and the horses are led away to the stables. The Captain excuses himself, as does Norgin, then the three of us follow the Dutchess around, moving things, unpacking things and fetching things until all is to her liking. While the maids assist the Dutchess with changing into more appropriate attire, I bring her instructions for the evening meal to the kitchen.

Dinner is held in a private room for the five of us. The Captain and his men eat in the common room. After the meal, to my surprise, the Dutchess leads us to the common room where music is being played by a young minstrel. Norgin excuses himself, retiring to his room, but the four of us sit at a table, just like the common folk.

Some of the minstrel's tunes are lively, some solemn. He's quite good as far as I'm concerned, and the Dutchess seems to agree, clapping her hands along with the music and laughing at the couples brave enough to get up and dance.

Micaelah seems to be enjoying herself as much as the Dutchess, but Lisbeth seems preoccupied with watching the others in the room. Trying not to stare, I follow her gaze. She doesn't seem to be paying particular attention to anyone or anything. Then it hits me like an anvil.

That's not Lisbeth. Whoever she is, she's wearing Lisbeth's clothes, but she isn't Lisbeth. I look at Micaelah. Yes, that's definitely Micaelah. Then I look at the Dutchess. Another anvil hits me.

That's not the Dutchess.

The pretend Lisbeth notices my reaction and subtly gets my attention. Looking at her closely, the mystery is solved.

The Dutchess and Lisbeth are pretending to be each other.

She makes a gesture clearly indicating I should keep my mouth shut and enjoy the music. However, my quick mind presents to me, unbidden, a way to bolster their deception, and for some reason I follow through on it.

I give her a brief wink and a smile. She seems startled by my forwardness, but not nearly as startled as when I reach out and grasp her hand. I get to my feet and pull her up with me to the open area where others are dancing. Her initial look of panic soon changes to amusement, then joy as she follows my confident leading, twirling her smaller frame around with ease. A few hours later, after several dances, we all retire for the evening.

§ 3 ~ Explanation

"You played that very well Quillion," the Dutchess compliments me later during a private audience with Lisbeth. I glance back and forth between the two, comparing.

"Most people only see the clothes, not the person," she states. "Remember this lesson well."

"I will m'lady," I assure her.

"You will tell no one of this, of course."

"Of course not, m'lady."

"Of course not. Because, if you do and I find out it was you, and I WILL find out it was you, I will not have you flogged. I will have you killed and your body will never be found. Do you understand?"

"Yes, m'lady," I say, gulping. "I understand." She continues, seeing questions all over my face.

"You seem trustworthy Quillion, so I will share more with you. I think it prudent. Lisbeth is my younger sister, which is why we look and sound so much alike. But unlike me, she hasn't learned as much court intrigue as I have since marrying the Duke. She is learning quickly though, which is good, because she needs to be able to give an answer to questions when pretending to be me."

"That's ingenious, m'lady."

"Of course it is, and I'm counting on you to not only keep this a secret from everyone, but to help us keep up the pretense when necessary. You did that marvelously when you flirted and danced with me in the common room earlier, after seeing through our ruse."

"M'lady! Please forgive me for being so bold! I don't know what came over me." I look at her miserably.

"Quillion. There is nothing to forgive. I just complimented you on your quick reaction. You should accept compliments when they're given." She looks at her sister. "We will all help you grow into this new role. Won't we Lisbeth?"

"Yes Teritha," Lisbeth replies, smiling.

The Dutchess gives her a pointed look at the use of her name without the title.

"Thank you m'lady," I tell her. "And thank you Lisbeth."

Lisbeth smiles at me and says, "I think you'll do well."

"Quillion... Another thing. I'm quite flattered by your actions." She laughs. "I can't remember the last time anyone flirted with me."

"But m'lady!" I protest. "You're a... a... "

"A what?" she asks. "A lady?"

"Yes m'lady!"

"Oh nonsense. That's just a title. An important one with important responsibilities to be sure, but just a title I gained when an old man decided to purchase me for his wife."

"M'lady!" I protest again.

"Sorry to disillusion you Quillion, but that's the reality of it. I didn't choose this fate for myself. I'm just a woman, and a young one at that. The only reason I'm married to the Duke is because he's wealthy and our parents were greedy."

Lisbeth puts a comforting arm around her sister.

"Sorry, I'm rambling, but it feels good to talk to someone who isn't a lord or lady or king or queen or some scheming prince. And that's the reason for this deception. While Lisbeth pretends to be me, I'm invisible, free to look around and observe the actions of others without having to worry about who feels favored or slighted. Ofttimes I'm simply grateful to look at the trees, or the flowers, or a cloud, or a horse... or a friend... or a man I'd rather be living my life with."

I look at her, scandalized.

She laughs at me. "Sorry Quillion. Sorry you found out I'm a person like anyone else. But... this is our secret. Only you and I, Lisbeth, Micaelah, and Captain Kendric know about it. Not the Duke. Not Norgin. Not anyone else. Are we clear?"

"Yes m'lady."

"Three more things," the Dutchess continues. "What is the name of the Duke of Carnelia?"

I look at her, confused.

She waits for my answer.

Norgin's monotone voice begins to play back in my head as if triggered by some invisible cue. I give her the answer.

She smiles at me in satisfaction. "I know riding with my chamberlain for that long was painful," she says sympathetically. "Believe me. I suffered through the same experience. But I learned what I needed to know, and obviously you have too. I'm not a cruel mistress Quillion. There was a reason I put you through that. But once again, you've proven yourself capable.

"When you are able to provide me the names of every Duke and Dutchess in the kingdom, you may ride on the outside of the carriage with the driver. He may even teach you how to drive horses. Does that sound fair?"

"Yes m'lady!" I say excitedly.

"Good. The next thing may be more difficult. This is not a criticism of your actions, so don't be offended, but I don't really need a page, so I'd like you to be my personal bodyguard as well."

Blindsided, I stammer, "I... I... don't know what to say m'lady."

She looks at me sympathetically, and says, "Don't thank me yet. It may be safer for you to just run away, but I will be instructing Captain Kendric to teach you how to hold your own in combat should the need arise."

"M'lady, I'm honored."

"And that's the last thing. I'm tired of being m'lady all the time, so I command you to call me Teritha when we're alone, or when only Lisbeth or Micaelah is in the room with us. Not if anyone else is present.

"You must be careful. You are not to use my name in conversation with anyone, anywhere. I only want you to use my name when addressing me in private."

"Yes m'lady... Uh, I mean... Teritha." It's sounds awkward. Something I'll have to get used to, but it inspires in me a little boldness.

"May I ask a favor?" I say cautiously.

"Of course," Teritha replies.

"Will you call me Quill instead of Quillion? In private of course."

She smiles at me warmly. "Yes Quill. I would be happy to do that."

"I will too," says Lisbeth. "Quill. It has a nice ring to it."

§ 4 ~ Acceptation

The trip continues for another six days before we reach the capitol city of the next duchy. The size of it overwhelms me as I watch from my place next to the carriage driver.

Having mastered the names of the kingdom's nobility three days ago, I was rewarded with time in Teritha's carriage so she could personally test me. As she drilled me on my facts, she also sprinkled in other pieces of information about the Duchy of Carnelia, which we'll be visiting first.

"You did very well Quillion," she addresses me, keeping it formal in this somewhat public setting inside her carriage where someone might hear, even though just the two of us are present. She does, however, reach out to touch my hand. "Thank you for taking this seriously and for working on it so diligently."

"Thank you m'lady. I'm glad for the opportunity," I reply.

Teritha rolls her eyes at that. Then she leans forward, beckoning me closer. She continues just above a whisper, "And Captain Kendric says you've learned the basics quickly. Dodging, parrying, using leverage and balance to your advantage, where to strike."

I look at her in surprise.

"Oh yes. He already taught me the same things he's been teaching you. Maybe someday you and I will have a chance to spar with one another. He's too good of a swordsman for me, and Lisbeth hasn't been able to spend much time learning. I'm afraid it may not be her thing anyway. She definitely has a gift for politics though. I think she would have made a better Dutchess than I, but she wasn't even fourteen yet when the Duke came calling. So, he's stuck with me and I with him."

"May I ask you something?" I say quietly.

"It depends on what it is," she says in return.

"Well..." I begin, perplexed. "How then will I know what I can ask you until I do and wait to see if you'll answer it?"

She smiles. "I positively love how cunning that mind of yours is. You're on your way to becoming a great asset, and likely, a great advisor to me."

"I don't know how to respond to that," I say, even more perplexed.

"You don't need to. What did you want to ask me?" She smiles at me encouragingly.

"If you're not happy being the Dutchess, why don't you ask him for a divorce, or maybe just leave and go live somewhere else?" I suggest.

"If it were only that simple, Quillion. There are too many reasons to discuss right now. It weighs on my heart a little, but he does not burden me with his overtures. He's a decent man, and I think he feels somewhat bad for me, so he leaves me to live my life as I will, as long as I don't bring disgrace to his rule, and as long as I keep up the image in public. This trip was a vacation as much a necessity to strengthen his position within in the kingdom."

I feel kind of sad for the Dutchess, and apparently it shows on my face.

She briefly squeezes my hand. "Don't pity me Quill. We all have a role to play. I intend to play my role well, but that doesn't mean I'm not able to enjoy myself when opportunities present themselves."

Thinking back on that meeting yesterday morning gives me an idea as I survey the city sprawled out before me. Perhaps I can find some way for Teritha to enjoy herself. Something unexpected.