The Knight Errant

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I be Eurig de Gomeret, your Highness, a knight serving a household in Bangor, and formerly a squire who followed your army in battle."

"And that marvelous young lass in your company?" Eurig had to remind himself to keep his manners about, as he knew how famously randy his king was, and he felt an instant pang of jealousy.

"I am Ceinwen of Llyn Llydaw, your Highness, and I am guiding this errant knight who is escorting me back to my home." Both men were startled when Ceinwen spoke for herself, but Eurig felt well pleased.

"Greetings, then... by chance, would you not happen to have seen the wild beast that I am hunting?"

"It was drinking by the lake mere moments ago, my king, but I am afraid it disappeared without leaving any trace."

"It was to be expected... no matter, as that elusive beast will surely taunt me again soon enough! Say, young errant, would you grant your king a joust, so that this day not be a complete waste?"

Eurig felt a rush in his heart. "It would be my pleasure, but I dare ask two conditions; the first is that you do not mock my skill, as I have followed the forest path and not the jousting circuit so far; the second is that we joust and fight for love, as I have no goods to wager."

"Granted, and praise you! You do my kingdom proud!" Both knights then set about the task of preparing themselves for the joust, Pellinore aided by his squire, Eurig all alone in front of a bewildered Ceinwen.

(What folly is this? We were near death yesterday and now he asks to fight for love, just like that?)

The onrushing sound of the charging horses brought Ceinwen back to reality. She cringed at the upcoming clash, and watched Eurig fall to the ground. At least he seemed to do so without hurt and without breaking his jousting lance. Pellinore stepped down, while Eurig rose to his feet, and both men drew swords and clashed once more, both of them obviously withholding their blows. That contest was more spirited but Pellinore once again prevailed; Ceinwen could hear the jolliness in Eurig's voice as he yielded.

"I thank you, young knight, and I congratulate you on your errantry. No doubt you will soon gain prowess and glory and I hope to have the pleasure of a future encounter. Godspeed!" And King Pellinore departed, just as swiftly as he had arrived.

The rest of the journey was without event, to Eurig's relief and great satisfaction. The walk was now a descent and they could see their destination coming up ahead.

"Milady, have I done something to displease you? I have the feeling you are brooding."

"I am sorry, Eurig, but I am afraid I do not understand your knighthood and your mores. You ride all alone, unkempt and smelly, and you are congratulated for it; you fight for love; you are a warrior that kills with no hesitation and also a Christian that grants mercy just as swiftly. Please talk to me about yourself, as I want to admire you just as you admire me."

And so, during the last leg of the journey home, Eurig did as requested and talked about the battles he had seen; Dubglas, Badon, and Fort Guinnon, all against the Saxons; the Caledonian Forest, against Picts; a raid in Ireland, to support King Anguish. During his six years as a squire, he had served two knights and had to carry home the body of his knight slain at Badon. He talked about his knighthood ceremony last year, when he turned 21 years old, and about his astonishment when Sir Eifion and his household attended court in Camelot for the first time.

He went on to explain that a knight chooses to ride errant to show humility and to seek adventure, as Arthur's peace in the kingdom now has a great many knights confronting the safer but dull pursuits of peace. His liege was only too pleased to remain in Bangor, studying at the abbey, and let him ride yonder. His squire, a nice lad named Dwai, also remained in Bangor to tend to his palfrey and some of his possessions. He expressed his admiration for King Arthur and the ideals of chivalry he championed.

He paused his storytelling to pick up a lone circular stone lying alongside a nearby quarry.

"Do you see marvels in this discarded stone, Eurig?" Eurig did not answer and walked back towards Cadfael to pick up a small stone-cutting hammer.

Upon seeing the questioning gaze of his Amor, Eurig replied "this is my boon from my grandfather, as I had always loved his tales of prospecting, including some about these stones." He then set about to cut open the circular rock, which was, in fact, a geode. Its insides shimmered in white and Ceinwen was now fascinated. Eurig, his voice full of hope and his heart bursting in his chest, handed it over to his lady. "Milady, please accept this as a small token of my love for you. No doubt it has only little value but I am sure your kingdom has a stone cutter who could polish it or make something of use for you."

"Eurig, I promise you that no one but you or I will ever touch this beautiful gift. Are these diamonds inside the stone?"

"Unfortunately, I don't think so, milady, else my hammer would not have cut through the stone with such relative ease. Grandfather would have known for sure, but I am a knight and no prospector, I am sorry..."

"Do not be, I command you! Do you not see how precious this will be to me, forever! This offering is so much more meaningful than the romantic quest you requested. Thank you, my lord Eurig." And, in saying so, she kissed his hand. She was almost moved to tears.

Alas, they were now entering the fiefdom of Llyn Llydaw and Ceinwen knew in her heart shed would not have Eurig to herself for some time. "Eurig, can you promise me something?"

"Anything, milady..."

"If God and the Goddess do grant the peace you have spoken of, promise me I will travel with you when we are married."

"I promise, milady. It was a pleasure to travel in your company and I cannot wish it again soon enough."

6. The homecoming

To Ceinwen, the homecoming at Llyn Llydaw was as she hoped and dreaded, as peasants, miners and fishermen all recognized her and lauded her return, many running to carry the news to their manor. To Eurig, Llyn Llydaw had a natural beauty and marvel that rivaled, in his heart, the pomp and splendor of Camelot. The fiefdom was small and centered around the large lake - traversed by a raised road that seemed frequently flooded - and boasted a crannog, a manor, several quarries, a similar number of farms and a couple of horse pastures. It seemed to be meager and plentiful at the same time. Peace was ever present.

When they both were in sight of the lord's manor, several people were already massed outside, awaiting their arrival. Meiriona was the first not to follow the choreography of their arrival, as she ran to hug her daughter, crying and speaking muffled greetings that Eurig could not decipher. Mindful of whom it was in his presence, Eurig kept walking and presented himself to lord Heddwyn.

"My lord, allow me to present myself, I be Eurig..."

"Then rise, sir Eurig, that I may hug you and properly welcome you home!" When a very surprised and unsettled Eurig did so, Heddwyn went on. "Proprieties and courtesy be damned, lad! You have returned to me my daughter!!! And in full health! It is I who is in your debt!"

Eurig was still speechless but, taking in the scene, he noticed one figure, in full arms, not partaking in the rejoicing. The arms looked similar enough to a badge he buried two days ago. He cursed himself for his sloth and finally replied. "I am sorry, my lord, because if my eyes do not deceive me I have brought reprisal and strife to your house."

The lone figure heard and felt this a proper time to cut in the celebrities. "Indeed! You there! Are you the killer of Sir Neirin, son of Count Brynmor?" This was said forcefully, and immediately damped any expression of joy.

"That I am, Sir, and I beg you to keep our quarrel outside of this realm. I am willing to submit to the judgment of your Lord if he is willing to accept a duel or trial by combat." Eurig heard Ceinwen scream her disapproval and he flinched inwardly.

"You are as foolish as you are impertinent to think that you two matter more than our claim on these lands. Fight alongside these people if you wish, as you seem to enjoy meddling in others' affairs, and maybe your death will be noticed by some bard out of inspiration. As for that demon you seem to have rescued and tamed, we shall ensure it faces God's judgment soon enough."

This time Eurig stepped right in front of the emissary's face; his eyes were wild with fury and everyone gasped. "I will have you know, sir, that you are quite abusing this good lord's hospitality. For the sake of his house I will not take you to task, as you have insulted my Amor. If Lord Heddwyn welcomes my sword and spear in his defense, please remember my arms as I will charge at your Lord first and, if you do not ask for my mercy, you next. Now I believe you should leave, while there is still peace around you."

The emissary sneered. "This will be most amusing..." and left, without any courtesy.

Heddwyn broke the stunned silence following his departure with a cheer. Eurig then realized that the lord's speech was always musical; it was thus no wonder where his Amor got her heavenly voice. "By the good Lord, now I see why Pellinore pledged loyalty to King Arthur if his knights exhibit such virtue!!! Come in my arms again, my lad! Unless you would prefer the ones of my darling daughter!"

He had a sly smile and seemed not to care a pee wit about the impending warfare for his lands. "I want everyone to feast and be merry tonight! Bleddyn, make sure everyone has a ration of meat on their table and wine instead of ale, even if you have to empty my cellars! Then, have my house prepare a feast! Since it might well be our last, we celebrate our independence and the return of our beloved Ceinwen tonight!!!"

It was after this proclamation that his smile faltered somewhat and he ordered, on a lower tone, a war council while preparations were under way, and then ordered Eurig and Meiriona to attend. He then bellowed once again "Praise God! We are alive and free tonight! Now, I want my daughter in my arms and no one to notice the tears of a worried father! Come to me, Ceinwen, we have much to discuss!"

---

Bleddyn, whom by now Eurig had surmised was both marshal and seneschal to lord Heddwyn, was finishing his appraisal of the situation "...we will be greatly outnumbered, both in knights and men, my Lord."

Heddwyn pondered, and then turned to Eurig. "Sir Eurig, according to my daughter you were a squire at several of Arthur's battles against the Saxons, and you have buried a knight in the process. That makes you as much a veteran as many in this household. Can I count on your spear and your sword?"

"Of course, my lord."

"Do you have advice?"

"My lord, your daughter kept warning me from straying away from the path in several boggy areas during our trek. Could there be similar grounds between the two forces? That way, you could concentrate your knights where they could not be flanked. With luck, maybe mist will also reduce visibility. We could offset numbers with position and offer battle on the ground of your choosing. And the farther from your settlement the better, as I have seen firsthand the dishonor of that house and will not expect either quarter or mercy." That last remark was echoed by a grumble of acknowledgment in the war council.

"Meiriona, my beloved, will there be mist tomorrow morning?"

"I believe so, my lord, and I shall add prayer to my belief."

"Very well, it shall be so. Bleddyn, if you are not already sure of the ideal location for the battlefield, send scouts along the path and then make preparations. Draw up a reserve of pitch and oil for the arrows. Now, everyone, I beg of you, we must project our assurance to our vassals. Everyone feasts, but I ask you keep your wits about you; we ride away, quietly, before dawn."

The feast was as merry and jolly as promised, with good meat and plenty of wine. When distinct plates were produced for both Eurig and Ceinwen, she proudly explained "this is from the boar that my Amor single-handedly hunted while tending my wounds. And I have seen him skewer sir Neirin with a broken arm! Woe to his foe if he brings his greatspear to the battle!" To the boast, a rowdy toast was answered. Eurig, no matter how much he discouraged it, was treated with deference as if he was Sir Gawain in person.

Ceinwen later sung a hymn that brought tears to every person in the hall as, indeed, to not feel its beauty and emotion one would have to be completely deaf or without a beating heart. In the dying hours of the feast, she grabbed Eurig by the arm and rushed him to her room.

"This is where I have lived my entire life, Eurig, I wanted you to see it... and see this!" She proudly showed him his gift, mounted as a bauble. "I had a miner show me how to polish it and give me the tool to do so. I had time to work on it a little while you were at Father's council. He seems to think the world of you."

"You are kind to offer such care to my gift of love, my Amor. And I am glad I got to see you before battle."

"So there will be battle tomorrow?" Her smile faltered.

"Yes, milady... tomorrow it will not be sport or for love of the fight, it will be warfare with all its evils. And I have pledged my fighting arm to both your parents. It is a good thing you have healed it." Seeing her worried, so close to him, Eurig could not resist and, this time, caressed her cheek. He felt her shiver.

"Eurig, I will never love the fight, but know that I love you." After making sure of their privacy, she grabbed both his cheeks and kissed him, on the lips, with such ardor that their teeth clashed... and they kept kissing while laughing. They discovered the joy of their moist lips and reveled in the love expressed for the first time. As they kept kissing and, by now, jousting with their tongues, Ceinwen took his right hand and placed it on her breast. Eurig moaned in surprise and Ceinwen purred in satisfaction. "Goddess, this is good!" She could feel Eurig was losing his battle of wills and getting aroused, pinching her nipple and caressing her breast with more vigor, almost kneading her bosom. She also felt the extreme hardness in both their loins and yielded, breaking off the kiss. "I am sorry, my love. Know that I would give myself to you right now, but you need your legs tomorrow and also not to be swayed from your trait of modesty. I will wait for the proper time. Run along, Eurig, take care of yourself and my parents tomorrow... and return to me, I command you!"

"That you indeed do, milady... I love you." He kissed her one more time, a quick peck on her lips. She could feel him trembling before her. He bowed and left, in silence.

Ceinwen could not stay still, however, such was her own arousal. She closed her door and, while praying inwardly to the Goddess, disrobed and fondled her hard sex and her balls. She was remembering her night of bliss, fearing for her beloved and stroking furiously her shaft, from the base of her balls to the top of her glans. Her prayer, once done, was immediately replaced by a moaning of pleasure she could not withhold. "Eurig... oh Eurig, I want it so much... give it to me... aaarggh!" And Ceinwen felt, for the first time, the warm trickle of her seed on her breasts and chest.

"Eurig... be safe my love, and give me moooorre!" And she fondled her balls and groped her breasts, pinching her nipples, until the hardness returned to her sex. She then used one hand on her shaft, one on her breasts, letting herself being flooded by the sensations radiating from her genitals. She had no wish to tease herself, like the preceding night, she just stroked and stroked in the hope of quenching her lust, at which she was failing miserably, as each stroke made her more wanton. "Where are you, my love... where are you... I want youuuu! aaarghhh! I want you noooow!!! AaaaAAAAHH, Goddess!!!" And she felt the throbbing she was enjoying so much and now stroked herself in frenzy, until she erupted all over herself a second time.

It was a good thing no one heard her cries of lust or tucked her in that night, as one would wonder why the maiden of Llyn Llydaw was sleeping naked, wet and outside her bed sheets.

7. The battle of Llyn Llydaw

"My thanks and compliments, Bleddyn, this is indeed ground worth fighting for." The scouting preparations during the feast had been efficient and rewarded with remarkable results. Heddwyn and his 31 knights were concentrated in two ranks on marked uphill positions. Count Bronwyn's army of more than 70 knights lay in similar fashion downhill, with its flankers facing unmarked bogs in darkness. Both armies waited for the sunrise, draped in a morning mist so heavy it might as well be fog.

"Come what may, my darling wife, you will always have my love and my thanks for a life full of wonder." Heddwyn kissed his wife while saying so and went to address his troops. Meiriona smiled and caressed his face but did not answer and remained quite focused in prayer. Eurig did not pay too much attention to the speech, only noticing that Heddwyn asked his army to fight to the uttermost, as he was captivated by the spectacle of the praying Meiriona, mounted on the tallest of all the steeds on the field; it was gleaming white with ears and mane of crimson red.

For all his humility, Heddwyn was a veteran and capable leader in battle, and he called for the charge at the very first glimpse of dawn; as they were charging eastward, their side had a monopoly on sunlight and achieved surprise.

For a moment, while he and Cadfael were charging alongside the first rank he had volunteered for, Eurig recalled in reverie the mesmerizing sight of his beloved Ceinwen, dressed in a scintillating long dress of white with pink hues, adorn him with her scarf, kissing him on the cheek and wishing her Amor luck and vigor on the battlefield. As this gesture was done in plain view of the departing army, Eurig rode to battle inspired to greatness and surrounded by sly smiles and envious comments he all gladly ignored.

(Well, this is it... at least I will die in love! Now, remember what you told her: this is not for love of the fight!)

Eurig focused, tightened his grip on his spear and then came the first great clash. The order of battle went as planned, with Brynmor's flankers bogged down, unable to support the first rank and now under fire from Heddwyn's few archers, who shot flaming arrows. Eurig felt his spear tear through his opponent's light mail armor and saw him fall from his horse, greatly wounded. The Llyn Llydaw army won the first clash and count Bronwyn's rank retreated and reformed, more compactly in hope of avoiding the bogs. From then on, it was clear they had lost the initiative and were only defending themselves, hoping for attrition to take its toll. But, faithful to Heddwyn's orders, his army pressed on. A second charge; this time Eurig's opponent parried with his shield but was unhorsed nonetheless. A second retreat and a second reorganization. By the time of the third charge, Heddwyn's army was now in numerical advantage and routed the rest of the enemy ranks. After spearing his opponent to death, a clamor on his right shortly caught Eurig's attention: there was movement and struggle in a bog, involving some foul-smelling creature and some unfortunate stragglers.

Heddwyn reformed his army and took stock of the situation. Bleddyn confirmed their side has suffered one dead and two wounded knights, all the while capturing 20 prisoners, including the insulting emissary whom Eurig recognized in the lot. But Eurig was far more interested in a lone figure, clad in roman scale armor, taking stock of his utter defeat in the mist. "Come, Cadfael, it is time to finish what I have set in motion." Eurig approached Count Brynmor, at a trot, and offered mercy as a Christian knight should.