The Legend of Bo Keap

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That's right lassie, I owe him more than I can ever repay. What do you want me to tell him?"

At that, they sat facing one another and Lou tells him of the situation with the newspaper men and that she thinks Bo needs to be notified. "I think he needs to know that more and more people are looking for him and that things seem to be changing around town." Phillip sips his tea and nods in understanding.

"I rode with Bo just after he first showed up here. We had quite a lot of success early on, then I took a bullet one sunny afternoon -- a dammed woman with a purse derringer of all things -- and none of us had any interest in her purse. I figure she couldn't hit a barn on most days, but she got me right in the hip bone. So I was pretty much done with long rides and hard work. But Bo fixed it where I'd have enough to get by. I've just been waiting here for something like this so I could pay him back. I'm a lot better now, and I'll ride out to the places I'm to leave sign that I have a message for him. It may take awhile lassie, depends on where he's at and if I get the notices in the right place."

"Well, we can only do our best Phillip, and I'm in debt to you for your help. Do you have everything you need for your journey -- I can have anything you need brought by?"

"No, I have my kit packed and ready. You can go on back home and I'll be gone from here within the hour. I figure it'll take me a week -- maybe more days to make the round and put out the signals. There's four main trails we always used, so it's a bit of ground to cover."

"I wish I could go with you Phillip -- but I'm sure I'd just slow you down. Thank you sir, and please know you're welcome to the Lucky Strike anytime for a drink or something to eat -- as I said, I am in your debt."

As Lou makes her way back to town, Phillip makes short work of getting the horse saddled and the pack tied on.

*****

Despite the slight discomfort in his hip, Phillip relishes this opportunity to get out on the trails again -- relishes the idea of seeing his old friend Bo again. As always, he's careful in the route he takes out of town -- a route that should avoid most of the curious eyes scattered through the valley. It takes about half an hour to finally breath easier again -- he's on the old trail once again and it brings new energy into his body. He rides southwest for about two hours before he comes to the first landmark where any message might need to be left. He started with four such messages penned and sequestered in weather resistant containers. One down and three to go.

It's getting late by the time he makes it to the next message drop. The way to this valley had required another difficult trek over a ridge of high ground and then a slow winding path down to the old hideout. Phillip decides to stay the night in the secluded cave as it's just too late to make it to the next drop site after this one. As he sits in front of the small fire his thoughts drift back to the days he and Bo and just a couple of other men had decided to take the rich thieves on. Bo had told them of how one rich bastard had set in motion his family's demise. Knowing why he was in a private war with the rich made it easier to join him in the battle. It had been grand times in those early days -- the law and the rich thieves couldn't seem to have a clue about who or where the robbers that were lifting their ill gotten gold disappeared to.

The next morning before sunrise, Phillip blows the small fire back to life and makes coffee and warms some venison. Next drop would be the slot canyon hideaway -- another long day in the saddle and another mountain ridge to cross. Still, despite the pain it's like a breath of new life being out and about again -- but there's just a hope and a chance that Bo would find any of these messages any time soon. The ride is arduous and the decent into the larger canyon where the entrance to slot canyon is located is risky and tense, but by mid-day he is on the trail and only hopes -- and worries -- about finding that damned rock that hid the slot canyon and the ancient cliff dwellings. It's near dark and he feels a bit of panic that he's lost in the wrong canyon when he finally recognizes the landmarks that lead him to the small concealed opening that opens the way to his destination. The sound of a gun cocking both surprises and sends chills down his spine ....

"Don't move and don't do anything stupid -- I've got plenty of light still left to blow a hole through your chest."

"Bo? Is that you Bo? It's me, Phillip -- don't shoot."

"Phillip, that really you old friend?"

"It's me laddie. Lady Lou come by and gave me a message for you."

"I'm coming down -- sit tight and I'll lead you on in. Damn, you're a sight for these old eyes buddy."

It didn't take long before Bo is there in front of the horse and taking him by the reins, the two old friends make their way to the camp inside. Tavasi is there with his own rifle at the ready but quickly recognizes who it is that has found them -- with a wave he walks out to greet their old friend. "Phillip, it is good to see you after so long. Come, get down and come inside -- I will take care of your horse. There is food cooking inside."

Once settled in, Phillip tells them why he's out trying to find them. "Truly, I'm relieved to have stumbled onto you two -- it's sort of a miracle really. I told Lou that it could take weeks, or longer, before you found one of the messages."

*****

Scene# 11: 1893 -- Early Fall -- Meanwhile, Back in Cripple Creek

All the while that Phillip is on his slow and difficult journey, the buzz around town is building. The two newsmen have created quite a stir from those on both sides of the story. But despite the danger, the two press forward soliciting any first hand accounts from people who had been swindled by the gold kings or anyone who had been helped by Bo Keap. The Sheriff is getting chewed on by the Mayor -- the Mayor is getting chewed on by the gold barons -- and the average citizen is just getting confused about who is doing what to who and who are the thieves and who are the good guys.

As the excitement builds, tempers begin to flair. The town slowly segregates itself into three camps; One group against Bo Keap, another in support of his efforts to rid Cripple Creek of the corrupt politicians and the gold barons. -- and the third group consisting of people too confused to take a side.

Soon after, there are street brawls reported in several places around town and in the camps themselves. The Sheriff deputizes two additional men to help the two already in place. And he himself is kept busy by summonses from the Mayor and several of the managers of the big mines. In short, no one had ever seen such chaos in Cripple Creek and there seems to be no sign of it abating anytime soon.

At Lou and Charlotte's urging the two newsmen had settled into a room at the Lucky Strike, figuring being in such a public place will make it more difficult for anyone planning to do them harm -- or kill them to shut them up and keep a lid on the chicanery going on in Cripple Creek.

As the word spreads about the investigation underway by the newsmen, several men do come forward to tell of their own run-ins with the gold barons. There's already enough to write a story, but as it's still early in the game the two newsmen just keep on taking testimony -- and the more the word gets around about what's going on, the more men feel emboldened to step forward with their own tale of either being robbed by the rich or helped by Bo Keap. In short, it's definitely a hornet's nest that the two men have stirred up.

*****

Scene# 12: 1893 -- Early Fall -- Back In The Canyon With Bo, Tavasi And Phillip

After discussing what's been happening in town, the three men eat their meager supper and talk about what their next move should be. The truth is; no person could testify for a fact that Bo Keap had ever robbed or killed anyone. For that matter, there's only a few who can positively identify him at all.

"You know, the more I think about it, the more I think that I should go back to town and shore up and support what Henry and Bill are trying to do. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to finally put the squeeze on all the ones that are the real crooks. What do you two think -- Tavasi -- Phillip?"

Tavasi is the first to respond, "Bo, there is a risk that the law will overpower the good will of the people -- and even the truth of who the real crooks are. There is a risk that you will be outgunned and shot on the spot."

"Phillip, what do you think -- you know the town better than either of us?"

"Bo, you've helped a lot of folks after they've been ramrodded by some of those rich bastards. I've spoken to quite a few who know exactly what's been going on -- some have been legally robbed and others roughed up and forced to take the scraps those rich bastards dribble out. I'd not be surprised that there would be a downright shooting war if something ain't done about the way folks have been railroaded these last few years. Sounds like these newsmen have struck a tinder box into flames and I guess I'd bet on the townsfolk winning the day."

"Okay, let's get some sleep and saddle up tomorrow and head back toward town. At the least, I need to go back and see Lou before I go running south. Tavasi, I don't disagree with what you said about the risk. I won't hold you to going with me, Phillip can go on into town before I do and come back to give me the lay of things. I don't plan on rushing in there to commit suicide, but I just can't make myself turn and run at this point. If I could see the rich bastards go down, I could leave here and never look back. We'll play it safe and easy old friend."

"Okay Bo. Let's go see." And with those words, it would be three men who would make the ride back into the swarm of hornets.

Early the next morning, in short order the three men are saddled up and making their way back to Cripple Creek -- a place that holds danger for them all and the promise of love for one of them. The journey is a might slower due to Phillip's injury -- but he never complains and the trio ride steadily on.

*****

Scene #13: 1893 -- Early Fall -- The Ride Back To Cripple Creek

The ride back seems to take longer than the ride leaving for some reason. There is an urgency in their hearts and a knowing that their lives will take a change this day -- will it be a good change or a bad one is the only question. When they finally get to the edge of town they sit their horses on a rise overlooking town and see the commotion in the streets.

"Phillip, you feel up to riding to town and getting a feel for what's gone down so far. I know you're in pain, so if you're done in I know Tavasi can go have a snoop around."

"Bo, taking this last ride with you has given me new strength. I'll be damned if I'm gonna sit the rest of this out in my easy chair. You two go back to that little flat place under the trees and wait for me there. I'll be back a soon as I can see which way the the winds are blowing in town."

"Thank you Phillip, we'll be waiting where you said. If you can, find Lou and let her know we're nearby -- tell her that I'll try to come into town and see her after it gets dark."

As Phillip rides toward town, Bo and Tavasi ride away from it to sit and wait for word of what's really happening down there.

When Phillip gets into town it's plain to see that there is indeed a hornets nest being stirred. Making his way to the Lucky Strike takes some time, what with the crowds in the streets. When he walks through the doors, Lou finally sees the man she's been waiting for. She quickly walks to where he is standing near the entrance and takes his arm, "Let's go upstairs Phillip ... on second thought let's go to the storeroom behind the kitchen."

Once safe in the secluded room she asks, "Did you get all the messages out?"

"Better than that Lou, Bo and Tavasi were at one of the hidden camps when I got there -- they're waiting outside of town right now. Bo just asked me to come reconnoiter a bit so I can go back and fill him in on the latest news. He said to tell you that he'll try to get into town tonight and come see you -- seems he wants to talk about something."

"Oh, Phillip -- I can't thank you enough for coming into all of this. You tell Bo that I'll come out of town to see him. It's too dangerous and unpredictable around here right now."

"He also wanted me to tell you that he agrees with the newsmen trying to find witnesses to firsthand accounts of being railroaded by the gold barons and such. I think he is worried about them two though -- he says the local law is in the pockets of the rich ones and they can't be trusted to protect the people of this town. He'd like to know as soon as possible if the news lads are in danger."

"You tell Bo that things have moved real fast about all of this. Witnesses have come out of hiding about both; the gold barons and the corruption of the local officials. The news has already spread to the Denver newspapers and it's rumored that state officials might arrive any day to see what's at the bottom of this. As you surely noticed, there have been fist fights in the streets -- more like riots, I suppose. My sense of things is that the majority of the town's citizens are against the local government and the rich who own them. Tell him that I don't think he should come into town -- he'd just be a target for the Sheriff and his gang to turn it all against him and away from the real crooks."

"Okay Lou, I'll ride back out and tell him what's happening. Any message you want me to carry back?"

"Yes. Let me write a short note to him. Where's my manners; please sit and there's drinks on the shelves there if you'd like."

"Just some water for now Lou."

Lou first asks Ming to take the man in the storeroom a pitcher of fresh water, then goes to her office. She sits at the small desk trying to calm herself and then writes her note. What she has to say really would be best said in person -- but for now, this will have to do. When she's finished, she seals it in an envelope and hands it to Phillip. "Thank you again for helping in all of this. I know Bo well enough to know that he has provided recompense for all you've done over the years -- I'd be happy to add to that if you'll take it."

"No Lou, that's not necessary. I rode with Bo long enough to get my needs met. I'll be on my way and get this message back to him. I might add that it might be best if you were to stay here at the Lucky Strike tonight. I know Bo is eager to talk with you and it'd be best if he knew where you'll be."

"You tell him that I'll be right here if he needs to come into town and talk. And thank you again Phillip."

"Good luck in all of this mess Lou. I wish you well."

"And the same wishes to you Phillip."

Phillip slips out of town, doing his best to remain unseen and unnoticed and in short order is back with Bo and Tavasi. "Well boss, there's a hell of a stir going on down there. Lou say's that the news is already in the Denver papers and that state officials are rumored to come to town any time. I figure they'll be coming with some troops. Anyway, her request is that you don't try to come into town -- but I told her she should stay in the Lucky Strike as you might need to find her. Seems that everything is pretty much happening that needs to happen. Plenty of folks have talked to the newsmen and there's a lot of support for what they're doing. Boss, I figure your act is up around here though. You may be the hero in the townsfolk's mind, but I figure the state officials might see that another way -- and it sounds like they'll have the force to back it up. And Lou sent you this note."

Bo takes the note from Phillip's hand and opens it. Leaning toward the small fire he reads her words; 'My Dearest Love, First I must tell you how much I miss you and how much I long to be with you. Second, I must urge you to stay away from town. There are many who adore you, but also many who would like to see you in prison or worse. My sense of things tells me that Cripple Creek is heading toward some big changes. I think those changes will mean the end of your time here for the simple fact that real law is likely to be in place very soon.'

'Bo, I'm ready to leave this place. I dream the same dream you shared with me about the ranch in the New Mexico Territory. I have money saved and I'm sure you do too. Isn't it time we simply vanish and live out our lives in peace and quiet? If you must come into Cripple Creek then let it be to take me away to our new life together. But, I would rather you send Phillip on one more ride to bring me to you. The town is buzzing and one sight of you and it's impossible to predict what might happen. Please, if you love me send for me and I will be ready to go. All my love, Lou.'

Bo is shaken to his core and he knows in his heart that every word of Lou's is the way he should go -- it's the way he will go. "Phillip old friend, are you up for one more short ride?"

"Sure Bo, does Lou have a horse to ride?"

"You already know what I'm gonna ask, eh?"

"It's plain to see that she loves you -- and you look sorta love struck yourself. I need to go get her, right?"

"I think she has a horse. Here, take this poke and if she doesn't maybe you could roust one up at the stables?"

"No problem boss. If not there, I know I guy who usually has a few for sale. I'll make sure she has a good mount."

"Thank you Phillip. You know the offer to go with us is on the table if you want."

"I may take you up on that boss. It's a long ride for a cripple, but I'm hankering to move on from here."

"We're not going to be riding hard and long days my friend -- you're welcome to come along."

"Thanks boss, I'll be back a soon as I can with Lou."

When Phillip returns so soon with Bo's request that she meet him tonight as soon as possible, Lou flies into a flurry of activity. First thing, she goes to see Ming where she signs over the Lucky Strike to him. There is no transfer of cash in this deal since Ming was almost like a father to her the many years they were together. To be able to offer him this security is one of the best moments of her life. Next she goes to rouse the bank owner out of hiding and convince him that it'd be worth his time to open up at this late hour to do some business. It costs her several hundred dollars to get him to open, but the several thousand she withdraws from her account makes is all less painful.

Since she has no horse of her own, while Lou wraps up her loose ends Phillip awakens his friend and secures a nice mount for her. His friend had a used saddled and tack that he throws in at no cost. By the time he's back at the Lucky Strike, Lou is packed and waiting for him. He nods his approval of the trail clothes of leather pants and a long sleeved shirt. All of this happened as the town still stirs over the recent news of criminal doings. It's definitely a rushed departure, but such is life on the dark side of the law. The bright side though is the fact that their lives will soon be riding away from all of that. It's that bright hope that Lou thinks about on the ride out with Phillip.

Unfortunately, and unknown to Phillip and Lou, someone with the sole task of watching Lady Lou was doing just that. He quietly and silently follows the two back to that little flat place under the trees. He's clever and with the stealth of a burglar he sneaks in just close enough to confirm the presence of both Bo and Lou ... then quietly retreats. Once far enough away, the man picks up his pace and hurries to his boss, the Sheriff.

As Bo and those with him prepare to move out, Phillip comes over to Bo and says, "Bo, old friend, as much as I wish I could take that ride with you all -- well, this time spent in the saddle these last couple of days has shown me that I can't take you up on that. I'd just slow you all down and get myself back to being more crippled than I already am. Keep in touch, best you can, and maybe I'll take a stage down there one day, if there's ever a road put in. Give me a hug and get the hell away from here."

1...345678