The Leinyere Farmer's Daughter

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"My wife of thirty years is visiting her family in Melima. Ellia's younger brother left for Portoa when he turned eighteen. He wanted to be a sailor on one of the new steamships. Just us at the moment. We hire help when needed."

Gll sipped his cider and nodded. "So I assume you're thinking if you had a Landford, your son may be more interested in staying here."

"Yes yes yes no, that's not the main reason, but it would be nice. Anyway, we'll talk business tomorrow." Andoewof kissed his daughter on the cheek. "Be good. Stay away from the hunt in case Sinsear does arrive. We'll be back after midstar."

"Yes, Dad. I'll stay here or in the barn."

Roksur noticed her flick a quick glance at Gll, which he was sure she was trying to hide from her father. He furrowed his brow and looked at Gll, who was sniffing the gentle breeze. "Ok well, we'd better go before it gets too dark. Have fun."

"Hmm? Yes, I will. Take some information papers and see if you can drum up some interest."

Gll and Ellia watched the other two saddle the horses and canter off towards the village.

"Come inside." said Ellia, "We've got a map of the farm that you might find useful.

Andoewof looked over his shoulder as his daughter and the stranger headed inside. He pursed his lips and sniffed. Normally he'd be reluctant to leave his daughter alone with a salesbeing he'd just met, but Glladin was an Anocot. They were known to prefer their own kind. If it had been Roksur staying, well, he'd be keeping a very close watch on the human.

Ellia rolled out a large plan. "So this is the farm. This area to the south is where the mice mostly try and push through. We grow barley down there, and they love that. And, umm, I also hunt down there."

"Really? How? I didn't think you'd be able to see them in the dark." Gll replied, scratching his ear with a long claw.

"Don't tell Dad, but I have a small half bow that's perfect for this. And I can see their glow as they move through the field."

Gll tapped his chin thoughtfully. "Melima... That's an Elvish village, isn't it? Are you part Elf? You don't look it, but it would explain your eyesight."

Ellia looked down at the floor. "Yeah, back on my mother's side. It's been a problem when people found out. Humans treat me like a curiosity, and Elves ignore me."

"Well, for a mixer, I think you look pretty good," Gll said diplomatically. "Come on, grab your bow and let's go catch a brace of fire mice. I'm getting hungry."

"It's out in the barn. I'll show you the worker's quarters as well." She headed off towards the barn, Gll walking beside her.

"I can smell the little bastards. There's at least a hundred about fifty strides away. I can understand why you have that spell around the farm."

"Yes, most farms around here have the same thing. Even if you only have grazing animals they get into the feed silos, which sets them on fire. It's a constant battle." Ellia sighed. "The spell seems to keep them disoriented so they never re-form into a fireball. It's the only thing that prevents a disaster."

"So why hide your hunting? Surely your father would realise that Sinsear isn't really interested in protecting a few mice."

Ellia opened a door to a building adjacent to the barn and lit a lamp. "These are the quarters. I hope they're ok. Yeah, Dad's a bit old fashioned. He believes a lot of fables are true, like the dragon mice one. I mean, I really don't want a dragon flying in and asking questions but I'm with you. Sinsear has bigger problems to deal with than a few mice."

Gll looked around the room. "This is nice, thanks. Much better than some places that we've stayed in. Umm, do you mind if I take my clothes off? I don't like hunting in them, but I understand if you prefer me to leave them on."

"No, no, that's fine," stammered Ellia. "You can be naked, ummm, well furred. I'll err, go get bone. My bow. And quiver. Arrows, not that I'll quiver... Back soon."

'What was that?' she scolded herself as she climbed the ladder to the barn's mezzanine. 'He's an Anocot. Why are you getting hot and bothered over a large, athletic being covered in smooth black fur? It's not like he'd be interested in you. Just get your gear, and go hunting.'

Ellia quickly retrieved her bow and quiver and slid down the ladder. She could hear the Anocot hissing and growling in the quarters, accompanied by the occasional loud thump. Curious as to what Gll was doing, she peeked around the door frame.

Gll was hunched tight on the floor, tail flicking, and focusing on a spot high on a wall. With a loud growl, he burst forward and climbed the timber planks. He swiped his claws at the imaginary enemy, then pushed off the wall. He hit the floor in a crouch, claws zinging through the air as he slashed in front of him. Gll caught a glance of the girl peeking around the door and stood up.

"Just doing some warm-up exercises," he smiled. "I spend too much time sitting down and I don't want to strain something."

"That was amazing," Ellia said. "The way you climbed the wall and then launched... Wow. That's some power."

Gll chuckled and stretched backwards so his fingers touched the ground. "You should see our special force's platoons. I move like a troll compared to them."

Ellia eyes were drawn to Gll's crotch, thrusting up. His whole body was covered in fur, but in that area, things seemed to be thicker. "Umm, I don't want to be rude, but why do you wear clothes? It's not like you really need them."

Gll looked at her in surprise. "Huh. That isn't a question I usually get asked. Well, we really only wear them in hairless areas. We learnt long ago that some beings took offence at others wandering around without clothes, even if we didn't need them." He shrugged. " Back home in Eikclav and Rrmwite, it's about 50/50. Down at Fscilwite and the smaller villages, mostly unclothed. I don't mind either way. It's part of my job to look presentable. Besides, I like pockets for holding coin."

Ellia laughed. "Ok then. Sorry if it seemed odd, but I've never actually met an Anocot before. I'm told that my curiosity gets me into trouble. Shall we go?"

"Lead on. I don't mind. We're pretty curious ourselves, and being direct is also one of our traits. Like Eikclav - Laketown, is right next to Cir Eik - Deep Lake. None of those fancy Elvish place names. No offence to you..."

"None taken. I don't consider myself an Elf, and they don't think of me as one. So, I normally skirt around the property and climb one of the old hankorn trees. I can walk along the lower limbs and spot them as they scatter from the spell."

"Don't the twigs and leaves get in the way?" asked Gll.

"Adds to the challenge."

He nodded, impressed. "How long have you been doing this?"

"Mum gave me a bow when I was young, but Dad didn't want me to use it. He thought it wasn't a proper thing for a girl to do. I trained myself when he wasn't around."

Gll snorted and patted the woman on the back. "You have my sympathy. Humans are weird like that. Our best stealth fighters are female. You do not want to upset one of them. Anyway, how do you want to work this?"

Ellia shivered unexpectedly at his touch. "Umm, no, I've heard stories about your fighters. Well, I can come out here nearly anytime, so I'll work in with you. To be honest, I'd like to just watch you hunt and pick off any mice that get too far in."

"Works for me. And just to warn you, they are a delicacy. Just if you're a bit... squeamish."

"Nope. Won't worry me. Ok, I can see a few over to the left. I'll climb that tree and let you do what you want." Ellia checked the breeze and moved away towards the hankorn tree.

Gll stared in the direction the girl had pointed. He could smell the fire mice, but couldn't see anything. 'By Kitara's blade, she's got a pair of sharp eyes if she can spot those rakngs. Hope her aim is just as good.' He crouched down and slowly circled around the field so he was downwind of his tiny prey.

Ellia had climbed her tree and lightly ran along a thick limb to where she could watch Gll. It didn't take long to spot him. He was a dull red blob in a sea of darkness, slowly working towards faint red dots. She was surprised he didn't question her more about her sight. Most beings, mainly humans, didn't believe her. Her explanation was that at night, an animal looked like an ember hiding in ash didn't go down well. She learned long ago to keep such things quiet and was surprised with herself for telling Gll. 'Well, it would be hard to explain how I could pick those pests off in the dark with normal sight,' she rationalised.

Gll watched, smelt, and listened. He lay flat on the ground, ears and tail up. It was a point of pride when hunting small animals that the first kill was precise, and preferably more than one victim. After that, it was just having fun. He glanced up at the tree he knew Ellia had climbed. The girl was good. He couldn't see, hear or smell her. He moved his concentration back to his quarry. He set his sights on a quartet scurrying in his direction, about a dozen strides away.

'Come on little micies, just a bit further... Don't make me run,' he thought, watching the slight movement of the grass. 'That's...'

"It!" he roared and launched himself at the hapless creatures. Two were skewered in the claws of his left hand, and a third was flicked into the air with his right. Gll cursed as the last mouse jinked at the last moment from his attack and ran away squealing for Sinsear. Gll caught the flying rodent in his teeth and whirled around to catch the last one, but a call from the tree stopped him. An arrow hissed past him and pinned the mouse to the ground.

The Anocot crunched down his catch and called to the archer, "Nice shot. Thanks for the warning."

He heard a chuckle from the tree. "Well, you'd be upset if I lodged an arrow in your hide, even though they'd probably only sting you. That was something to see. You were just a blur."

"I'm out of practice. City living has made me soft." He pulled the other two off his claws and swallowed them. "Hmm, a bit different from the ones at home, but still nice. Are you sure you don't want one of these? They are quite tasty."

"No thanks. I prefer my meat cooked. Hang on, about twenty strides to your left."

Gll heard a volley of arrows sing, followed by the surprised squeaks of a half dozen rodents. He padded over to the area where his nose could smell death. "Now that's impressive. You're as good a bowbeing as I've ever seen." He collected the arrows and swallowed the remains.

"Thanks, that means a lot to me. Apart from my mother, you're the only person that knows I hunt." Ellia shimmied down the tree and collected the arrows. "I think we'd better shift. I can't see anything moving. They must know there's a predator in the area now." She laughed and placed a hand on Gll's arm. "Over there, by that hankorn. We should find something."

"Sounds good." Gll followed Ellia at a slow jog and climbed the tree she had pointed to. "Air attack," he explained.

After a couple of hours of enjoyable hunting, Gll finally convinced Ellia to try some cooked fire mice.

"You're not going to leave me alone until I say yes, are you Gll? Fine, as long as they're cleaned. I'm not picking through mouse entrails. I'll leave that to the seers," she laughed and rubbed the soft fur on his back.

"Ok, ok. I'll clean, you light a fire. How about that?" he purred and rubbed her back in response.

"Deal. I've got a spot in a hollow by the stream that I use when I want to be alone for a while. I've got a few supplies stored, and a bit of wood for a fire."

"Anything to drink? I'm a bit thirsty." He picked up a dozen mice and followed his fellow hunter.

"Yep. There's a couple of flagons of anciris in a leather bag in the stream, so it will be nicely chilled. There's also some bottles of ale if you prefer."

"You are prepared. The anciris is fine. I think it'll go well with roast fire mice."

Ellia pushed through some thick brush and emerged in a clearing. "I try to be prepared. Sometimes I just need to be alone and, umm, sort through things."

Gll heard her sigh deeply. "I guess it's tough being a mixer, and in a smaller town where people may not be as accepting of you. Anyway, let's get a fire going, have some cider and toast a good hunt. I really enjoyed tonight."

"So did I. Here..." Ellia pulled a bag from under a tree stump and handed Gll a knife.

"Thanks, but I have my own,' he chuckled, extending his claws. "Although they're not as sharp as I'd like."

"Really? May I have a look?"

"Sure." He held a hand out. Ellia took it and felt a claw. It made her fingers look small. Thick, curved and tapering to a bloody point. She lightly ran her thumb over the point and marvelled at how sharp it felt.

"And these aren't sharp enough? Feel quite pointy to me."

Gll had bit his bottom lip with Ellia's gentle touch. "Umm, I like to shape them so they pierce better. These are ok for climbing trees though. Thick and sturdy." He slowly retracted them back as she started feeling his fingers.

"One knuckle less. Your fingers are shorter than mine! And the pads on your palm and fingertips. I guess you can really run fast on all fours." She let his hand go. "Thanks for letting me look. I'd better get the fire going. Those mice aren't going to cook themselves. Well, not anymore. The cider's in a bag tied to that tree root, if you could grab it please."

"Sure, anytime." He lightly rubbed his hand where Ellia had touched. It had been a long time since a woman of any race had touched him, and he had to admit, it was nice. He reached the bag and glanced back at Ellia, who was using a steel to shower sparks onto kindling. His dealings with human or elvish women were mostly soft town based customers. This one looked soft, but there was a self-sufficient core as hard as the fire steel she was using. He pulled the bag up and went back to the fire.

"Looking good, and the fire's going great," he said, handing Ellia a flagon.

She smiled and tossed a log on the fire. "I can see why you're a salesbeing. A real smooth talker." She swallowed some cider and handed the flagon back. "Don't tell Dad, but this is the award-winning brew."

"Your secret's safe with me. Here's to Aersus and Egan. Wine and Profit..." Gll took a small mouthful, then immediately went back for another larger one. "Now that is a cider worthy of the Gods. I'd better clean those mice before I have too much more."

He quickly prepared the mice and skewered them on a thin steel rod sitting beside the fire.

"For when I fish," Ellia answered Gll's unasked question. "Sometimes I throw a line in and see what I can catch."

He nodded and sat down beside Ellia. "You really have everything on this patch of heaven." He took another swig of cider and stretched back. "I'm glad Roksur couldn't get his thing up. This has been a nice break."

"I'm happy you did as well. Hunting with a friend is a lot more fun than solo."

"That's true - they're ready," said Gll, sniffing the roasting meat. "They don't take long."

He shaved a strip of meat off with his claw and presented it to Ellia. She took the strip and dubiously looked at it. "If it's so good, why don't more people eat them?"

"They're small and fiddly, and I guess that dragon has beings scared. Come on, you can't back out now."

She shrugged and nibbled the end. "Well. It's ok. Interesting flavour but it could do with a bit of seasoning." She finished the strip and washed down the taste. "Cider helps."

Gll laughed, "It always does." He pulled a carcass off the skewer and crunched the lot.

Ellia shook her head and went to pull another piece off. "Ow! Still hot."

Gll peeled off another strip and held it up in his claw. Ellia leaned forward and pulled the meat off with her teeth. He raised his eyebrows. "Don't want to get your fingers dirty?"

"Just thought it was a bit of fun. I've never eaten off a friend's claw before."

Gll smiled and started purring. "Never had a human or elf eat off mine. It's not the done thing in hairless towns." He swallowed more of the cider, then ate another mouse. "Reminds me of home, hunting around Cir Eik. A nice cosy spot by the water, some mead, fresh kill, good company..." His voice trailed off and he quickly grabbed the cider.

"What's wrong?" Ellia asked, after having a cooler piece of meat and a drink.

"Nothing, nothing. Just a bit... homesick I guess. I like what I do, and we meet some great beings, but sometimes being the only Anocot within a thousand gallops gets a bit much. Anyway, I knew that would happen when I moved to the Port. More cider!"

The two chatted more about farming, the Crossing, and the type of beings in the area. Ellia shivered, so Gll put his arm around her and drew her close. "Can't let you catch a cold. Don't want your dad asking questions," he slurred.

"Thank you. Your fur is so soft. It's nice."

The flagon emptied and Gll reached into the bag to grab the next one. Instead of the ceramic jar, his hand closed around a firm, but flexible cylinder. He pulled it out and stared at it, trying to figure out what it was. He sniffed the cylinder and looked at Ellia with a faint smile on his face.

"Oh, err, that's a watermaid root. I, umm, use it to add a bit of spice to my fish stew. When I make it. Here. By myself." Ellia stammered.

Gll nodded. "Hmm, yes. I've heard of watermaid. About half a hand in diameter, and maybe five long? There's a reason it's also known as the Widow's Friend." He sniffed the root again, this time a long, exaggerated version. "You've used this to spice something up, but it wasn't a stew. And you hid it in the bag."

"I... I don't know what you mean. I leave it here so it stays wet. It's not as nice when it dries out."

"Yes, I can believe that. For what you've used it for, dry and shrivelled would be no good." Gll tapped his nose. "Water hasn't washed away your scent. This has been inside you. Both sides."

Ellia gasped. She shrank away from Gll and hugged her knees. "How can... Oh, well. The smell. Um, I use it to relieve my... urges," she said in a small voice. "Sometimes I just need a... little extra help when I'm lonely."

Gll shuffled over and put his arm back around her. "I'm not judging you. Believe me, I understand. I haven't seen any err... real action for a long time. It's frustrating in so many ways."

Ellia sniffed and looked up at him. "Really? But you're fabulous. Smart, kind, fast..."

"Furry, whiskers, a tail, and a really big... Anyway, human women treat me like a curiosity, and they're afraid of our... reputation." Gll broke the seal on the next flagon and drank.

"What, they're afraid of your claws? But you can control those."

"Nooo, not the claws. You really don't know?"

Ellia shook her head.

"This," Gll said, waving the root around, "isn't quite as big as me. And I'm an average Anocot male. Human women are afraid we'll tear them apart with our... equipment. Even the ladies by the docks don't want to chance it. We can only get about one, maybe two hand lengths into the average human. Female Anocots get all the action though. Everyone wants to do it with them. It's very sad."

"Seriously?" Ellia said, sitting up. "But there's nothing visible down there and I can't believe I'm having this conversation with someone I've just met."

Gll chuckled and started purring again. "I know. But it actually doesn't seem strange to me. I guess sharing a meal we've both hunted for has helped. Anyway, believe me, it's there under the fur. We're just not built like you hairless. Because we originally came from a really cold area, everything is, shall we say, tucked away."

Ellia took a swig of cider and licked her lips. She had been forced by circumstance to lead a fairly sheltered life, but she had experienced some male company. She liked it. She liked it a lot. And this conversation was going down a very interesting track. "How?" she asked. "How can something that big just disappear?"