All Comments on 'The Low Road'

by Todd172

Sort by:
  • 321 Comments (Page 2)
AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
great

Thanks,

SS1969

WestcamWestcamabout 4 years ago

What a great piece of work! Beautifully developed with a tear jerker element that got to me!

Love2ReadLitLove2ReadLitabout 4 years ago
Damn

I usually know where you are going, but with this one I sit here dumbfounded.

GrimmerGrimmerabout 4 years ago

Didn't see that coming yet it makes perfect sense.

johnadpjohnadpabout 4 years ago
I Was Wondering The Whole Time....

Why was it that Amber cared when no one else did. However, I understand gratitude for a truly grateful person goes far, but a year's worth of a commitment to someone that by all definition was a loser? I guess the million helped there. Not being malicious, just even the soldiers there at his funeral were there out of duty and not love or friendship.

Still, very interesting story in that it makes one think. This guy had a life destined to be in black and white. Kind of blah person, and blah life. Kind of there; a shadow existence. No friends, even his mother didn't care for him. But at least in the end he got some color in his life. Even if it was out of gratitude combined with money.

Sad that the most amazing thing this guy had going for him was a life insurance policy, and the fact that he happened to be at the right place at the right time to give another soldier the ability to die in another person's arms.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Ok, that was pretty good

Did not expect that twist at the end, and by this point on Literotica I can usually see one coming. Good, unique, and (most importantly) entertaining story. 5 stars.

AutistAdventurerAutistAdventurerabout 4 years ago
@anonymous 3/17/20

There's writer's on here I have a problem with. When that happens I don't read them. I have occasionally left negative comments, although they're usually comments aimed at the nonys who can't be bothered to build a history even with a pseudonym.

I kind of wonder what is the motivation for comments like yours. You have my name (because I don't post anonymously) so if you want you can tell me the purpose of your comment you can (I really am on the spectrum and when something is said that I don't understand I ask for clarification).

I see accusations of sock puppet accounts and cabals and I wonder why you care, what is to be gained. Paradolia and apophenia are my explanations but if you have a better one I'd genuinely like to know it.

That being said I really liked this as a short story. Not quite up to the standards of Raymond Carver but getting there. And @Todd172, if you haven't read Carver I think you should.

Thank you for sharing your imagination.

HillfrogHillfrogabout 4 years ago
As always...

...one of the best.

markellymarkellyabout 4 years ago
WOW...

Now THAT was a class read and a damn fine story. Absolutely loved the final delivery. Just one heck of a story and well told, thank you.

Todd172Todd172about 4 years agoAuthor
Thank you for taking the time

..to read our tale. Things are a bit crazy out there right now, and we hope we've provided a little distraction from it all.

This really is based on a true story - the Soldier was a Combat Engineer. We hope we've done him justice here.

Thanks again to the editors and beta readers, I learn more from them every time. Of course I have a long way to go on this learning curve. It is hard to express how much I appreciate the support from the readers here - it is truly unbelievable.

I have to thank The Missus, she dreams alongside me and makes my world a much better place.

If this didn't suit you, that's fine, we all have different tastes. Try BurntRedstone or SleeperyJim, or maybe stev2244. There are some remarkable writers out there, you'll certainly find something.

Just a note: Be careful out there and take the virus seriously. Especially if you are over 65 or have health problems already. Hopefully in a few months we can all look back, shrug, and say "that wasn't so bad." But hope is not a course of action, stay safe overtip the waitress if you do go out -she'll need the money - and stay healthy.

MrmacjrMrmacjrabout 4 years ago
Excellent

Great story and a surprise at the ending.

BaggyUKBaggyUKabout 4 years ago
Usual brilliance

Another of the highest quality story from another high quality author. For putting this together someone should give Randi a medal...best series of stories I've ever seen here...or anywhere. Thank you

BeBopper99BeBopper99about 4 years ago

5***** Outstanding!!!!! It's so good, that I really am speechless. Definitely Write On!!!!

26thNC26thNCabout 4 years ago
Words

I don't even have the words to tell you how much I loved this story. In my ten years I knew all of your characters, except maybe the strippers. Sergeants are the heart of the army, and anyone who has served knows your Sergeant Major. Again, a magnificent story. Here's to Sgt. Schnell and everyone else who has ever worn the uniform.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago

Really wonderful, thank you.

ErocratErocratabout 4 years ago

Moving, funny, clever and neatly crafted, as all your stories are. I would be happy to throw some of my meagre funds at you if only to prove the naysayers wrong. In the mean time, thanks for sharing, stay healthy, and please relay my best wishes to the Missus.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Outstanding

You are a tremendous story teller with a real flair for language.

I laughed out loud at "... and I hoped a fair amount of DEET."

DistantConstellationDistantConstellationabout 4 years ago

Todd - thank you. As always a cut above - quirky, delightful, real, funny, filled with honor and joy. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Outfuckingstanding!! Thank you.

johntcookseyjohntcookseyabout 4 years ago

Bravo. What a way to go. Makes me want to believe in karma. Makes my wanna click back and reread some of your oldies - maybe TJ and Tammi’s “Soldier Girl”. Many thanks.

robroy93robroy93about 4 years ago
Great story

This one is my favorite of the night. Perfect description of a good Sergeant Major. They can seemingly make anything happen, good or bad. Just great writing that made me think of people I have known. Who hasn't served with a Schnell, and tried to look out for him when you could?

MsCherylTerraMsCherylTerraabout 4 years ago

This was a really great story, thank you!

Harryin VAHarryin VAabout 4 years ago
BEST LW STORY OF THE YEAR...

perfect story in every way

The plot twist even caught me by surprise

Ps The thing about the virus is that mostv dumb for rednecks who voted trump and thinks it all Bs .... are the ones who are going to suffer the most.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago

Great stuff.

Thanks for the story.

Cog

InescuInescuabout 4 years ago
Wonderful story

You bring to life the military experience, mindset, and emotions in ways that continue to surprise and delight me. Looking forward to more.

cybojicybojiabout 4 years ago
Very humane

An average guy gets a great ending.loved it. Your writing justs gets better and better.5

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionabout 4 years ago
Sublime

Lovely story, really well put together. Thank you.

cloakndagger772cloakndagger772about 4 years ago
Wow...

Once again, I am treated to read a tale by one of the best writers around. You have an incredible gift, sir. Thank you for sharing it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Reasonable

Reasonable story.

ender2k2kender2k2kabout 4 years ago
WOW

His wife left him with all the money, his mom turned on him, he gets cancer and dies painfully. And somehow you managed a happy ending. Amazing. I really needed a lift today and this did it. Thank you. I wish good health to you and your family.

ribnitinribnitinabout 4 years ago
Astonishing

You pack an astonishing amount of depth and emotion into such a short story.

LickideesplitLickideesplitabout 4 years ago

Great. Had to go back and recall who Campbell was. Makes it a real tear-jerker.

Oh, CHUTE! Impressed that Todd learned about shoots! Thanks for the read!

5*

enderlocke27enderlocke27about 4 years ago
omy

unlucky in life but lucky in death. a very good story there tyvm for the read

IBTVoyeurIBTVoyeurabout 4 years ago
EXCELLENT

I didn't read past the five comments shown below page 2 but the four comments by ribnitin, ender2k2k, cloakndagger and Spencerfiction covered what I wanted to say. THANK YOU and please keep writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
For such an awful start to his life

he ended it with the envy of everyone. VERY VERY good story. Gave it a 5

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
That was good

Btb in the finest way. Everybody looking out for him. Now that's a life.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
You can find hearts of gold everywhere.

When I was a young lawyer, I had several clients who were topless dancers. General attitudes toward them in society in general were that they were all just whores. I won’t lie, some were. However, most were just victims of the environment that they came from, mostly poor, with bad men involved with their mothers or bad choices in men by them. They had kids to raise alone, poor education, one or the other or both. They were just trying to get by, most without actually prostituting themselves. Some were even attending college, and many graduated to a better life. Judge not that you be not judged. Thanks for the story.

CaOldDogCaOldDogabout 4 years ago
Excellent

Awesome as always, you folks can capture human interest as well as anybody I've ever read.

JBEdwardsJBEdwardsabout 4 years ago

Good story. Moving, with a few surprises. I liked the romance angle to it. -- JB

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Incredible

Short and impactful. Thank You very much!

arrowglassarrowglassabout 4 years ago
Incredible story!

It touches on so many levels!!!!

RimmerdalRimmerdalabout 4 years ago
The ending....

Blew me away.

LoejtcLoejtcabout 4 years ago
Absolutely unique yet credible storyline

How I envy a mind that can create such unique storylines combined with the writing talent to communicate them!

KenfromIndyKenfromIndyabout 4 years ago
Wow yes I blurted that out loud when I finished!

Wow, yes I really blurted it out loud. Yes I am a former Navy man so appreciate a well written military story. This had some great twist. I also knew someone just like Schnell in the service who just got by but stayed in. A really enjoyable story that will stay with me. Yes I will favorite it. A whole lot tucked into a short story. Really shows how well Todd172 can write.

Please keep writing and I will keep reading.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Thank You

Thanks for your efforts, creativity, and talent. Great Story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Nice one

A really sad story but a nice one.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Wow! You did it yet again!

Thanks for another wonderful story - a beautiful set up, and one heck of a kicker right at the end. You make my reading even more enjoyable.

- Austin

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionabout 4 years ago
Tremendous story

Loved the ending, so sweet.

ThatNewGuyThatNewGuyabout 4 years ago
Adding to the accolades

Your writing here reminds me a bit of Tobias Wolff, my favorite contemporary writer. It's terse and restrained, but it also contains flashes of understated brilliance. Like this line:

"It ran so deep in him that it made you secretly wonder if it was the Soldier that was wrinkled instead of the uniform."

That sentence was such a shockingly perfect and succinct encapsulation of Schnell's character that it actually pulled me out of the story for a moment to admire the craft. The twist at the end was great and caught me by surprise, but this is my favorite line in the story.

Like in some of Wolff's stories, there's also an element of the surreal that seeps into an otherwise straightforward narrative and throws the reader off balance. In this case, it's when the three women walk into the funeral.

Masterfully executed from start to finish, and a joy to read.

LwcbyLwcbyabout 4 years ago
Hope everything gets better for you

I constantly go to your author page looking for new tales. Would really like to see a new Needles/Delaney story!!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Caught me by Surprise

The very end was a lightening bolt. Nicely done!

jtwheelsjtwheelsabout 4 years ago
Agree ending was unexpected and great

Enjoyed it and that's the best compliment to give an author

dreaming_dailydreaming_dailyabout 4 years ago

Yep, this is why I keep reading Lit.

FabGMxFabGMxabout 4 years ago
Again 5 as usual...

Todd give us a reason as to why he (and the missus) is/are one of the very best teams of the site. Short, precise without innecesary words, but the story flows natural and the twist at the end it is fitting.

Now about my theory as to why the 2nd wife go those lengths to get payback to the 1st wife and MIL of our MC is rather simply, what begin as a way to repay a debt of honor changed to love maybe even true love for the sergeant once she pass time with him.

The end its bitter sweet but in line to the story.

InfiniteCycleInfiniteCycleabout 4 years ago
Fucking brilliant

All the more because it's based on something that happened.

Loving this event. The fact that you're one of the authors pretty much says it all.

Can't wait to see the new ones you bestow upon us mere mortals. Lol.

WillowghbyWillowghbyabout 4 years ago
Thank You,Todd

Great story with fun twists and turns. Each character rings clear and true - Army folks included. Nice pace and easy to read.

SikemSikemabout 4 years ago
Touching Story

The military portion of the story rang true. You made me cry, jerks. ;)

Concise.

Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
DAMN FINE STORY.....

Love the fact that Schnell found some degree of happiness at the end. Also the bitch ex-wife and ex-mother were aces out of scavenging his carcass. Nice touch giving the cheating whore of an ex-wife an album of his greatest hits with 4 beautiful women.

LilacQueen15LilacQueen15about 4 years ago

Campbell was the dying soldier Schnell comforted. Did he know she was pregnant?

DazzyDDazzyDabout 4 years ago
Righteous

Should be a 15...woo rah

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Cue Up Tina Turner...

"Simply the best..."

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Wonderful story!

Wish I had just a little of your talent.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Dann what luck

Yes indeed. Sister he never knew. Paid to have him come to the club she worked at. Dann what a wonderful thing...family. Wish I had more blood family.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Love the penny drop

One of your best, and that's saying a lot. I loved the penny drop at the end; a very nice twist, with a good sized helping of karma. Thanks Todd, for another excellent read; I'm waiting (as patiently as possible) for your next offering. But hey; I can do patience. ;)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Always Great!

You have a knack of writing the most entertaining short stories. Can't wait for more. P.S: Paul Harvey would be proud. "Now you know the rest of the story" Thanks again.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Ha. What a great story

Keep 'em coming, Todd.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Yo gave me goosebumps mon

Dat was a helluva story mon, sweeet‘a and‘a pinch of wicked.

Ya got from my da juicyses five Spliffs I have, thumbs‘ar up, mon

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Praise

You are a fine, fine writer and your body of work here is professional quality. Now you have to learn it’s barbecue, not barbeque.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Another great story

I keep coming back to your stories and I’m always glad I did!

Thank you for writing, and thank you for sharing your work.

mikie_1_99mikie_1_99almost 4 years ago

I was only going to give this a 4* until the last paragraph. That one sentence made this a 5* story

Great job

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago

What an ending!

If you haven’t read this author’s story called “Duty”, read it. Military themed also, but an excellent, if somber story. One of the very best stories from one of the very best authors on this site.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Amber

One of my all time favorites. Write a followup story on Amber, she deserves it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Surprising content

Really liked your take in this story. Surprised me, hadn’t thought of that ending - loved it. Going to check out you other output. Thanks for a great story!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Amazed

Short, but one of your best. Amazed by your talent. 5*

dgfergiedgfergiealmost 4 years ago
Wish there better words than great, but great story.

Excellent writing and very good story. What goes around comes around. Eat your heart out ex-wife who never was a wife. Some woman don't deserve a good man and some men don't deserve a good woman. Keep writing.

Kirk34Kirk34over 3 years ago
So sweet

Really, that was as great story. All he could do was comfort that soldier before he passed, and wow what a difference. All the time I was reading about him being some average loser, I kept thinking he sounded like a decent guy who did his best. Glad it worked out for him.

pepepilotpepepilotover 3 years ago
WoW Awesome

I had just recently come across one of your stories that I thoroughly enjoyed. I decided to check out more of your stories. Each one of them seems to outdo the next one. Then I found this story. I was teary-eyed when I got to the end but was befuddled by the reference to Campbell. I had to go back and reread the story. I hate to say that I lost it, but I did. There are no words to describe my feelings and my enjoyment of this story. Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
sad but sweet

not much else to say other than cancer sucks

smc331smc331over 3 years ago

What a story! I must confess this is the first time I can recall laughing and crying at a story's ending. Outstanding. Kudos to you and your team.

AnyMooseAnyMooseover 3 years ago

Damn; why can't I give this 6 stars?

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitover 3 years ago

‘Strange funerals’ is a morbid subject, but the story was very good.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Excellent story with great karma

This was a short story with a profound impact delivered at the funeral. Not only did he go out in style, but he left his uncaring ex-wife and mother with the message: what goes around comes around. Excellent writing! 5 stars CC

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
This is a good one ....!!!

THUMBS UP !!!!

👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 ....

NVDiceGuyNVDiceGuyover 3 years ago

Needs a couple more stars. 5 isn’t enough. Really good delivery.

WillowghbyWillowghbyover 3 years ago
Damn!

When I get to the end of a story as good as this and find that I have already marked it with 5 stars, I feel cheated. I willingly read it this second time and enjoyed it immensely - again.

Keep 'em comin'.

KinPAKinPAover 3 years ago

Second time reading this...perhaps one of the best stories, on this site or any other, that I’ve read. Bravo Zulu!

Raleighman53Raleighman53over 3 years ago

Excellent surprise!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Great story

Great story! Thanks!

xtchrxtchrover 3 years ago
Just WOW!

What a wonderful and heart-breaking story. It was kind of sad ...all the way till the funeral. Loved the 'heart-of-gold' angle of the girls and the Twist at the end. Thank You,

Thank you for this fantastic story.

SleeperyJimSleeperyJimover 3 years ago
Oh man

How is this still as poignant on the third reading as it was when I first read it? You have this magical touch in all of your stories.

More, please!

RimmerdalRimmerdalover 3 years ago

Damn hell of an ending!

NitpicNitpicover 3 years ago
Outstanding

Outstanding story.

lukeshortlukeshortover 3 years ago
SHIVERS

2nd or 3rd reading. It is still so poignant it gives me shivers. 5*

Omart57Omart57over 3 years ago
Wow!

That brought tears, Bro! Great story

cabbage01132cabbage01132over 3 years ago
five is not enough

just superb thankyou.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTodd172@Todd172
I write my stories to relieve the population pressure. Too many people banging around in there and the only way to get them out is to write them out. There's a bitter ex-Navy Master Chief living next to a quietly desperate tarnished Russian angel, who is trying to keep her sou...

SIMILAR Stories