All Comments on 'The Magdalene'

by TarnishedPenny

Sort by:
  • 13 Comments
ElectricBlueElectricBlueover 4 years ago

Beautifully written TP, a worthy tribute to a fine man. You have captured an "Englishness" here. Cudos.

SimonDoomSimonDoomover 4 years ago

Moving and well written. It has a nice, understated style, and as EB says it's a worthy tribute to Ogg.

oggbashanoggbashanover 4 years ago

A splendid prologue to my story with one very minor quibble. In a village in the period I doubt the local pub would have a snug used by women. That was a feature of more sophisticated outlets in larger towns - frequently labelled as 'Ladies Gin Room' as can be seen still engraved in glass on one of the more expensive hostelries in my town. Most village public houses were very basic spit and sawdust establishments that would never serve a woman except perhaps at the hatch for off-sales. Even there a woman would be ashamed to use it. But a very good story.

joeyjaxjoeyjaxover 4 years ago

So good, TP. As expected, very well written, and a wonderful entry into the wide and varied world of Ogg for anyone who's not visited there yet. Five Stars!

DrizdartDrizdartover 4 years ago
Nice atmosphere

well done, and an excellent homage to Oggbashan.

LoquiSordidaAdMeLoquiSordidaAdMeover 4 years ago

"Christmas Truce" is one of my favorite Ogg stories. I'm so glad someone chose to base a tribute on it. You did a wonderful job of filling in a robust backstory. It had so much period detail, and felt so authentic I can't imagine that amount of research that went into it.

TarnishedPennyTarnishedPennyover 4 years agoAuthor
Thanks

My thanks to all for the kind words. I had fun with this and appreciate your thoughts.

LocalMan3000LocalMan3000over 4 years ago
Bravo!

Excellent coverage of a topic that would never have been openly discussed at the time. Superb prose and brilliantly crafted work.

MaloufokkerMaloufokkeralmost 4 years ago
Superb and insightful

Few war stories deal with the widows left behind, their plight without support and a livelihood. Perhaps Major Jones could find a role and space in his own life for a good woman on hard times, not just a nude figure for his canvas.

A Romance story line for a man with "The Wound" and a woman with the heart and ability to make the rest of their lives happy...?

Thank you, TP.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Great story. Odly enough I'm currently working on a short story about life on the homefront in a different war. so this story had a double impact.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

A good story - very well written. I enjoyed it.

Btrying2Btrying22 months ago

Super story that provides a look into the emotional pain of one’s journey of survival. The notion that an individual may be defined by a single factor is readily dispelled by this author. Superb story. Great way to tribute. Thanks John

Btrying2Btrying22 months ago

To provide a sliver of backstory to The Christmas Truce was an amazing way to pay tribute to its talented author. Again thanks John.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous