All Comments on 'The Neighbor'

by HighOctane_

Sort by:
  • 8 Comments
DunkirkDunkirkover 5 years ago
Neighbor

Hope he gets to fuck melissa

luedonluedonover 5 years ago
Looking good so far

I do like stories about mature ladies helping young men to find their way in the world. We shall see how this one goes -- it has started well.

Lue

Birdstheword1Birdstheword1over 5 years ago
Interesting

A decent start to a potentially good series.

HighOctane_HighOctane_about 5 years agoAuthor

The new story is submitted, now you just have to wait for admin to spit it out. I hope you enjoy it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Attention To Detail...

...and spelling, and missing words, and grammar, and dialogue. Etc.

Was only going to give one star, but have allowed an extra one for effort. Suggest you hold off on more submissions until you get the whole writing thing figured out a bit better.

HighOctane_HighOctane_about 5 years agoAuthor

Lol can you be more specific. I don’t have an editor, but I’m fairly certain I can edit small things if you point out misspellings, grammatical errors, etc.

dispatcher59dispatcher59about 5 years ago
Editing

You ask about editing, and that you can do small things if they are pointed out. Let me offer some suggestions. First, proofread, proofread, proofread. Read your story, then read it again. You will inevitably find something that doesn't look right, or that you misspelled, or a typo of some sort. Then leave it in drafts for a couple of days-you're not on deadline-then read it again. I read nearly everything I send in at least four or five times before I submit it. In the course of reading, I often make changes, since sometimes I "rough in" things, just to keep the story going, and change them later when I have a better idea how I want something to read. Piece of advice: economy of words is good. One thing about re-reading is that you will often find a better, more concise way to say something.

Once you've done that, put it through spellcheck, or some similar program. It will check for spelling and grammar errors, and will offer suggestions for correcting them. Beware, though, that when it is checking dialogue, the corrections it suggests may not always make sense. Use your inner voice to tell you if something sounds right. You'll know!! Something this will also guard against, but not totally eliminate, which is why you have to constantly re-read, is missing a typo. No matter how may times I read over a story, I will still find an error in syntax, spelling, or editing in the published story-including one where I misspelled the main character's name in the description-D'OH!!!!

If you have someone who can read your work, that's a plus, since another set of eyes may see something you don't. Not everyone has this-I'm sure there are a lot of folks out there writing for Lit whose spouses don't know they are doing it, so, "honey, can you check my story??" isn't really a viable option.

This was a good start to what could be a multi chapter story, and a decent first effort. Stay at it, proofread, brush up your grammar and spelling, and you'll be fine. Don't listen to the trolls, and good luck.

chytownchytownabout 5 years ago
Good Start Getting Interesting****

Thanks for sharing,

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous