The Next Game Master Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Raven nodded, "I want to hang onto it for Brenda. I do not know what gear she has got. Would not be right of me to ask the goddess it is enough to know she is waiting for us and is carrying triplets from me already."

The guys laughed. He looked at them, "We need to come to a consensus on this gear. We get it all identified distribute to those who need it and can use it. The rest we store until Marshal gets answers on what we will be facing as if we have to double or triple our party size potentially.

Hopefully not. You may have to seek a charter for a mercenary company to travel these lands with a force that large. That is all, on you, Marshal. I think we take the coins and divide those out. We have Shia and Gardner do that. Eight even shares. Jewels and non-magical jewelry we leave alone for now. Any other thoughts on my suggestion?"

Gardner looked at Raven, "Why 2 to do the dividing? Why are we leaving the jewels and non-magical jewelry out of it?"

He nodded, "Fair question. We have to look at where funds are going. Like food for the group, fruits, vegetables, and things we cannot stop to forage for. Food for the horses and other staples. We set some aside for that. That still leaves a lot on the table."

Raven walked over to the big and small chest on the ground. "The big one could be filled with coins. The small one with jewelry and jewels. Which would you prefer to carry because the smaller one will have more value in it? If we have a need to get more money for someone to buy something they just have to come back and ask.

Keep in mind we have a potential bounty for this Baron to deal with as well. Likely to be given as some kind of credit to ensure the funds stay in their fiefdom's coffers. Meaning we will have to spend all of that as well before we go.

Let us know what you want that needs more funds. If it is a few hundred gold pieces, no problem. If it is our entire reserve then it could be a problem; depending on what it is you are looking for. I prefer to find my gear but some things have just not shown up yet.

I might buy one or two small items. We will see. There would need a consensus to give you that much. The other things this could be used for, once we know where we stand, is wands of healing, potions of healing, etc. Make sense now? What you would be given is your walking around money to do with what you wish.

The rest goes to supply the party and act as a reserve for those expensive items you might be looking at getting. The other thing about jewels is that what is worth 100 gold pieces here might be worth 80 or a 150 up the road. Our rogue can appraise them and figure out what she believes is a fair price for each jewel.

If the merchant does low balls on a particular jewel, she could switch it out and see if he hits closer to the mark on the next one. Again, if we get to the point of diving into those funds. At some point, the group may divide.

That is when these reserves get divided out to the individuals still left. To let them form new parties, or divide the goals of the existing party. To answer why two. We have a trust with each other. What happens when we add others? We go from a party of 7 to 70 are you going to trust the 63 new people? It is still better to have 2 sets of eyes going over anything at a minimum."

He nodded and there were no more questions, "Give the luck stone to Shia for now while she is doing all of the appraisings. Any big value gems drop into my bag of holding, a low value in the big chest and medium value in the small chest. After that, it should be in Marshal's possession."

Marshal looked at Raven, "Why me?"

Raven looked at him, "Heraldry, diplomacy, getting the gold mirrors, dressers, and all that other crap sold. Shia should try and appraise those as well. You will be dealing with military patrols, city guards, etc. That carriage is going to attract attention.

Appraise that as well because it goes. I would burn it if it did not have value. I would not take that from you for my 'personal' anger at the bastard. We have a potential problem or reward coming for the baron when we get to the city. I am betting on a reward.

The glory should go to the party leader and paladin. It helps to build his reputation for getting cohorts and such later."

Marshal nodded, "You make fair points. Plus, we have a lot in coins."

Raven nodded. "Any other jewels or objects buried in those coins should be examined for magic. Grab Ersa for that. I am going to scout ahead in case we have any stragglers or patrols from either army.

Marshal, you got a lot to do with the camp, wagons, and horses to get fed and moving. I will be switching out horses. I saw we had at least one nice shadow stead riding horse in the mix we got last night. Fast and stealthy."

Marshal looked at me, "Shadow horse?"

He nodded, "Nothing magical or unique it just called that because it is black to dark grey in color. Usually a mix. Blends in well in the woods. Blend into the shadows. The ones with the darker eyes are more sought after because they blend even more."

He nodded. Raven went and found the horse and saddled it up.

He pointed over as Marshal had followed him Marshal commented, "Good choice for you and Shia."

He nodded, "There is a second one in the string. I did not see her last night. Shia should claim it if you want to take it to her where they will be counting funds in the wagon. I saw 2 charger warhorses as well. I tied those off separately for when you and Gardner decide to see if there are better horses in the group. Lirana can work with Ersa to find Ersa a new mount and herself one. She needs the practice appraising animal flesh."

Raven rode off as he passed the dwarf, "Told you I would replace your wagon." Flar laughed. "Raven scout road."

Raven waited for him to come back and he returned. He set off at a good but slow pace for about an hour. He saw a patrol of 6 armor-clad riders. He did not know heraldry but it was not the Baron's men. He turned and rode back slowly knowing they were watching him, to see if he would bolt as they closed in. They got close and call out, "Do you work for the Baron?"

Raven looked over, "No, I work the Paladin leading out caravan escort. You friends of this Baron?"

He laughed, "Not in the slightest."

He nodded, "Then if you follow me, I can take you to his corpse."

He looked at Raven, "He is dead?!"

Raven nodded. "Yes, he pissed me off. He wanted me and my father's sword. I told him he could have neither. I did offer to give him the sword straight up his ass. You will see when we reach the camp."

They drew swords, "Raven, find Marshal, tell him patrol coming. Stay with him. Now go."

Raven looked back as the bird took off, "We only attack those who attack or threaten us. The Baron and his men did both."

10 minutes later Marshal, Gardner, Ersa, and Lirana showed up. Raven looked at the guards, "The man with blonde hair and shiny teeth up on the charger warhorse is Marshal."

Raven looked at Marshal, "This patrol wants to see the corpse of the Baron and the campsite. I was bringing them to you as you know heraldry."

Marshal nodded as Raven recalled his bird who magically appears on his shoulder. He looked at Raven, "Why do you leave him with me?"

He smiled, "Because if I am dead the bird will disappear into nothing. Then you have the extra warning. It is a scout thing."

He nodded and rode over and talked with the guys who seemed happier talking with a Paladin than a half-breed scout. If Raven's ears did not deceive him. He turned around with the others. They talked for a good 10 minutes.

Marshal looked over, "Can you un-nock that arrow and sling your bow?"

He shrugged, "I am more dangerous with just my hands. I am also a mage."

Raven slung the bow and put the arrow away. He knew he just made it harder for him and he turned, "Can the mages move 300 feet back."

Raven sighed, "May I demonstrate something? It is a waste of a spell but we would have to be almost double that range to not be a threat."

Marshal talked with him, "Show him send it down the road one of these guys is going back 500 feet."

Raven nodded, "I will send it well above him as well."

He waited for the guy to get into position. Raven launch the spell and they watch it fly down the road and climb 50 feet up and explode in the sky behind the distant man. The guy signaled with his sword. Raven looked at the patrol leader, "7 of us took out 30 including the Baron. I am not threatened by you.

I have told you things I did not need to tell you like the range of a spell I carry. Why your suggestion would be pointless and idiotic as you know nothing of magic. Why don't you just look at the camp and decide for yourself? If you like, I will go and grab the Baron's severed head. The explosion Ersa and I ignited ensured that happened."

Marshal looked, "They want to see the head."

Raven nodded, "Ersa stays, she is more dangerous than I am anyway."

He turned and winked at her and she smiled.

Raven went back to the wagons, "Shia I need that head for the patrol we encountered. They are worried about walking into a trap."

She nodded and pulled it from the bag and gave it to Raven. She made a gasped gagging sound, "I guess keeping his head was a good idea."

Raven nodded, "If we are taking his coach into a town that is hostile to him it is good, they know it is spoils of war and the bastard is dead. Hand me his heraldry, I stuck that into the bag."

She did that as well. He wrapped up the head in it and rode back out. He slowed and stopped as he got to Marshal, "Here you go his head and his heraldry thing as well."

Raven rode back with the others and Marshal unwrapped the head. Raven yelled out, "I had it in a bag of holding so it would not rot. If you want your people to see his severed head it might be a good idea for me to put it back."

Marshal rode toward Raven, "You are not making this easy for me."

He smiled and whispered, "I am doing what my character would do. You do what you need to do like send me scouting or back to camp."

Marshal handed Raven the head and said loudly, "Store it so it does not spoil. Wait there for us."

Raven nodded and wheeled his horse around. He took it back to the camp. He spotted the Wagon Master who had gotten his men stacking bodies.

Raven looked at him, "Did you get your money for the oil from Shia?"

He laughed, "Hell it was more fun to watch. You have one hell of a creative mind."

He smiled. "I did the math. Oil versus the numbers seemed like a good place to start. I could not know it would go that well."

He nodded, "Figure between what I would have paid you guys and the entertainment value we are even in that regard. We are getting ready to roast the dead here so we can get going.

Raven looked at him, "You might want to wait a minute. In fact, you might want to go and see Marshal. He is talking with a patrol. They might want to see the dead before you light it up."

He nodded and told his guys to hold. He rode off. About 5 minutes later they came barreling into the camp and they had their weapons put away. They looked at the dead. The Wagon Master was busting a gut about how we blew up the blockade. The leader of the patrol glared at Raven the whole time. Raven stared back at him. He looked at Marshal who rode over, "Why are you staring at him?"

Raven laughed, "Because he was glaring at me." Raven pulled his sword and activate it and handed it to Marshal and he watches the flames change color.

Raven looked at him, "Family blade. Higher powers only work for me or my descendants. Show it to them. Have him hold it, but bring it back or I will drop all 6 of them, and possibly you."

He shook his head and took the blade over and told the guard Raven's story and about the village. He held the sword and handed it back. Marshal returned it to Raven and the flames changed back blue and purple. He left it out for a few seconds and then put out the flames and look over the blade as he acted like he cleaned a piece of dirt off of it. Then he sheathed it.

Raven looked back over, "Can I go back to scouting now?"

Marshal nodded, "Good idea."

Raven took off again. "Raven scout road."

The bird took off and the guards watched it go as he rode out. He unslung his bow and nocked an arrow.

He thought, "Love are you enjoying my forcing Marshal into the mediator role?"

He heard laughter, "It was perfect. Him riding back and asking why was a bit out of character but they are new."

He thought to her, "I know. I deferred to him when dealing with the patrol and told them they needed to talk with him. As you saw. I played being indifferent to them because I told Marshal these would be his things to deal with."

She chuckled, "Yes you did. You got some company."

He chuckled, "They sound like a wagon of scrap metal riding." She laughed.

The head guard approached, "You should watch your insolence half-breed."

A turkey flew out and Raven drew and pop it through its eyes and it fell to the ground. He rode forward and pulled out the tail feather and got back on his horse. They watched him nock another arrow and left the turkey on the 1 arrow.

Raven turned toward them as he mounted up, "They have great feathers for arrows; we do not really need the meat. I took down a 900-pound bull the other day after we killed a forest dragon. That does not count the numerous run-ins with the Baron's men and an assassin squad.

Without a loss of a single life. Ours or the caravan crew. I am at home in the woods. You are going to have a hard time catching dinner with the noise your armor makes so why don't you take the turkey and your men can have meat instead of dry rations. The name is Raven." His bird lands on his shoulder. "Road is clear."

The guy looked at Raven and then his men and they nodded. He took the turkey. He looked at Raven, "You always hunt like that?"

Raven shook his head, "Sometimes I go on foot. Stealthy and downwind of the prey. They fall to the ground before they know what hit them. I took down 2 deer on this trip, followed by 2 bandits, and then a quail. That was in the first 2 hours of my scouting for this group.

They have had meat most of the trip. The Wagon Master wants to hire me on. But I have a mission to take care of with the Paladin. He will need my help navigating the woods. I use him to navigate your cities. Am I arrogant? Perhaps.

I have been called half-breed my entire life. It doesn't matter when I bring food to the group. I am the scout. I am The Raven. I am the hunter. What he is going after is an affront to nature and a danger to your cities. We have a common enemy. You do not have to like me. Just know I am here.

I will defend myself if I have to. I do not go looking for a fight. But when one is found I will finish it. Just like that Baron who killed my parents. I can be a patient hunter. I can also be a valuable asset and ally when you are in my environment. Raven Scout road."

Raven turned and started riding. They rode up past him and the guy looked at Raven, "My men and I thank you for the turkey."

Raven nodded, "You are welcome."

One of the men in the back smiled, "Take care, Raven." They rode on.

He thought, "Did I do ok love?"

She laughed at him, "Yes, you got him trying to figure you out but over half of his men respect you for standing up to him. Nicely done. You will be the first player I have ever put to level 6 at this first stage. But you will have earned it. Looking forward to your arrival."

He smiled and thought, "My Love, I am looking forward to your sweet ass. I do not need to be clean for Brenda as we took care of that with you. If you are going to devour the barbarian I might as well ravage your ass at the same time."

She laughed, "My house my rules. But I will consider it."

He thought, "Yes my Goddess, my love, and the mother of my first daughter."

She giggled. "I love you to, my love."

His raven came back and he turned back around. To find they had finally gotten the caravan on the move. He shook his head. Marshal rode up, "You made that hard."

Raven nodded. "Not every character in your party is going to be viewed the same. The patrol leader sees me as a half breed. His men now see me as I am. A fucking Hunter. I took down a turkey and gave it to them so they could have meat this evening.

I stood up to the man and more than half of his men admired me for standing my ground. One even said 'Take care, Raven.' They know who I am and they know who you are. That is called a win-win situation."

Marshal looked at Raven, "You were deliberately being belligerent toward them to give me an air of authority."

Raven smiled, "You are catching on."

Marshal smiled, "You are an enigma."

Raven smiled, "The Goddess I killed thought the same thing. I am The Raven. I can be a patient hunter."

He chuckled, "You had to have used some of that on that Squad Leader."

Raven nodded, "True. Is there a reward for the Baron?"

He shrugged, "We did not discuss it. That is something we will likely find out when we arrive."

Raven nodded, "Now you can expect to be summoned to whoever rules this city. They will likely want to see you and if the guards have a say, me. You will have to advise me on what is expected of me for this level of a ruler. If he is a king or baron. They will likely want me disarmed.

You need to talk with the Wagon Master and find out what you can, then his men. Some of them might be from this city. Investigate. Be knowledgeable before you walk into a potential vipers' den. I will ride slow and pretend to be the properly chastised scout.

You will go and get the information you need. The information you should have already begun asking questions about. Instead of relying on me to tell you about your job. I told you these items would be yours to deal with yesterday. I fucking meant it."

He laughed, "Very well. Good point. Bad scout. Behave."

He laughed and Raven laughed back at him as he rode off.

Ersa came up, "Marshal was pissed at you. What did you do?"

He looked at her, "I helped to force him into his role as the Alpha. The man in charge when we get to the city. I work for him. People will be less offended by that than a half-elf leading, a rabble of adventurers. We have a Paladin who is smart enough to have a good scout who can hunt and save lives. It feeds his ego, their perception of him, and our group.

It puts me in my place, while at the same time I stand my ground when they are in my environment. I am The Raven. Scout and hunter. I can be a very patient hunter. 20 years for a goddess. Very fucking patient. It is called role-playing.

Fell into my role for this upcoming environment. At the same time pushing Marshal into his role. I explained this to him but I needed him to do it on his own with no warning. Now he understands. Like I hope you do."

She giggled, "Very clever. Because he would have a hard time faking anger and frustration at you."

He nodded, "Sometimes I have to surprise people to get them into their roles. Remember I am also teaching."

She nodded, "I will explain it to Shia and Gardner. They were not sure if a fight was going to break out or not."

He shook his head. "I did everything I could to show that I had no ill will toward them until they physically try to assault me or become a threat to me. I demonstrated I was deadly when I took out a turkey in flight by shooting it through the eyes.

I took the tail feathers for making arrows and I gave them a bird so they could have a meal with meat in it. Making me even more of an enigma. I am the one to be wary of if you piss me off. Marshal now looks like a strong and smart man for bringing on such a good scout."

1...56789...13