The Oathkeepers Ch. 10

Story Info
Zoe and Aegis get some news.
9.2k words
4.73
6k
5

Part 10 of the 12 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 06/17/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Thank you for reading! This (obviously) is an ongoing story so will not make much sense unless you've read the other parts. This chapter is a bit light on the sex, though I'm beginning to explore some fun new avenues. As always, I love reading the comments and messages. They are incredibly encouraging and since I'm still writing this as I go it's quite fun to see everyone's guesses and who knows, perhaps some are taking fruition as I write. :)

Enjoy!

~~

Aegis was jittery. He still felt Zoe all around him. She echoed in the empty ship. As he'd flown to his rendezvous with Wing and Scout he'd been in near constant contact--through Beam--with the Confederation. The Silent Maiden was moving to the Forked Band and now lay right in the path of Bastion. Exactly where he DIDN'T want Zoe to be. But she'd made her choice. Now it was up to him to keep Bastion and the might of the Oathkeeper fleet from running through the human ships and worlds.

Every time he spoke with some intelligence officer from within the human fleet he had to keep himself from asking after Zoe. They'd known it wouldn't be a good idea for the humans to learn of their closeness. They would be cautious about accepting Aegis's help, learning of their relationship would complicate things and likely cast doubt on both of them. And he couldn't risk the humans using Zoe against him...if it came to that.

He watched now as Wing maneuvered the sleek scouting ship in to dock against Aegis's transport. The ships were similar in size, but the scouting ship included weapons, a higher-powered engine, and stealth technology. Aegis pushed away the distraction of Zoe for the moment and hurried to the cargo bay to greet his friends. As the door whooshed open he grinned, seeing the slight Scout waving on the other side.

They clasped hands and Scout turned to lead Aegis back through the ship. "I couldn't believe it until I saw you in the flesh," Scout said as they walked. He looked Aegis over, beaming with excitement.

"Bastion spreads rumors? What's the latest?"

"I think he just pushes out as many as he can, hoping any take root. That you fled in fear. That you stole Paragon's human. That YOU killed Paragon. That you were actually killed." Scout grimaced up at him.

"We'll put an end to all of that soon," Aegis rumbled.

"So, I do have a bit of a surprise for you. We found a stowaway a few days ago."

Aegis stiffened as he glanced down to Scout, wracking his brain for who it might be. They entered the command deck and he jerked in surprise to find a deep Emerald Oathkeeper hunched in one of the chairs. The wizened Oathkeeper turned as they entered, his milky blind eyes staring through Aegis.

"Keeper," Aegis said.

"Aegis." He paused and Aegis sensed his questing mind. "But where's Paragon's human? I'd heard you'd saved her?"

Aegis cocked his head, glancing between Wing and Scout. They both shrugged. "I left her with the Confederation several days ago. She's of no consequence."

Keeper's face twisted in surprise, agitation coursed from him as he tried to push his frail body from the chair. "No! You were meant to protect her Aegis. What have you done?"

Aegis crossed the room, patting the old Oathkeeper on the shoulder to try to calm him. "She's fine. She's with her people."

Keeper swatted his hand from him. His sightless eyes pinned him as he glared. "You stupid boy. Paragon entrusted you with her. She holds Paragon's will!"

"I don't understand," Aegis shook his head at the distraught Emerald.

~~

Zoe woke slowly. Her head pounded and as she opened her eyes to the bright lights her stomach twisted sickeningly. She turned in the bed and glanced around the bright room. The clinic. Iona sat in a chair across from her, her green eyes wide with concern as she studied Zoe's face.

"What happened?" Zoe croaked out as she tried to push herself up.

"Zoe," Iona glanced around. A doctor spoke in one corner of the room to XO Zakl. Iona leaned into her, grabbed at her hand. "Zoe, why didn't you tell me?"

Zoe met her friend's earnest eyes, shame needling at her. "I didn't think it was important."

Iona swallowed and again glanced across the room. Zakl met her eyes and started. Seeing Zoe was awake he began to cross the room.

Iona squeezed her hand urgently, pulling her eyes back to her. She whispered quickly, "Zoe, don't be an idiot. This changes everything. You need to be honest now."

"Thank you Lieutenant, you're dismissed," Zakl said as he came to stand across from Zoe's bed. He pinned Iona with a look and the willowy redhead gritted her teeth but stood and slipped from the clinic. Zakl studied Zoe for a long moment, his expression dark. Finally he glanced to the doctor. "This is Dr. Cotter."

The grizzled ship's doctor smiled thinly at Zoe. "Hello there Zoe. What do you remember from last night?"

Zoe glanced between the two men. Iona's words pounded along with her headache though. She narrowed her eyes. "I don't remember anything. I had a lot to drink."

Zakl grunted but Dr. Cotter nodded and glanced at a chart in his hand. "Yes, I noted your alcohol level on the blood draw. You really shouldn't be making that a habit if you intend to keep it Zoe."

Zoe furrowed her brow. "Keep what?"

"Enough Zoe," Zakl snapped. "You've held enough back. We found the pills in your belongings. Did the Oathkeepers give those to you? We have a chemist analyzing them right now, but it would help your cause if you explain what they do. Five people, including the marine you gave a concussion, all testify you displayed some sort of Oathkeeper psychic energy."

Zoe paled, her mouth suddenly dry. "No, they're just...they said they were just to help me acclimate to Homeworld atmosphere." She wracked her brain, trying to remember what else Aegis had said. NEVER anything about giving her the powerful abilities of an Onyx psychic shield. "They seemed to help my metabolism, helped me heal faster. Things like that?"

"Why would you need to heal faster, Zoe?" Zakl asked pointedly.

"Maybe I'm really fucking clumsy," she snapped.

Dr. Cotter snorted a laugh, but quickly swallowed it. "Zoe." She slid her eyes back to him. "We think they're some sort of gene therapy. Have you been taking them the whole time since you were captured?"

Zoe scowled as she debated. Finally she nodded. "Yes, they started me on them the day after I arrived on Homeworld."

"But why keep taking them after you'd left?" Cotter asked gently.

Zoe shrugged.

~~

Keeper glared at Aegis. He grabbed earnestly at his large Onyx hand and pulled him close. "Aegis, what do you think Paragon was working on all these years? Did you think he was seriously just a depraved king that liked to fuck humans?"

Aegis inhaled sharply. "What are you talking about Keeper?"

The Emerald shook his head angrily. "You fool. You were the one giving her the pills. My and Paragon's life's work. We finally perfected the formula."

"What do they do, Keeper?" Aegis growled, fear beginning to needle at him.

~~

"Zoe, we'll have to do an ultrasound. Do you have any idea how far along you are? I've no idea what effect these pills will have had."

Zoe stared at Dr. Cotter. His words didn't make sense. "Far along? What are you talking about?"

Cotter again tried to smile comfortingly. "You don't have to hide it anymore, dear. We need to know so we can ensure these pills or the...treatment of the Oathkeepers didn't harm the fetus."

"I'm not pregnant!" Zoe snapped.

"Zoe," Zakl now interrupted. "We know. I assume it was Captain Rin's? You were alone on the scouting mission for two months before you were captured. I understand you trying to hide it before as it's against regulation, but we're too far past that now."

Zoe groaned as she shook her head. "Rin? No, Rin and I never fucked."

Cotter cocked his head as he glanced to Zakl. "Zoe. There's no mistaking. We tested your blood twice. You are assuredly pregnant."

~~

"Did you really think Paragon was content to let his kind die out? Here," Keeper dropped Aegis's hand and began to rummage in his green robes. Finally, he pulled a folded paper from one of the many deep pockets.

Aegis took the carefully folded letter. Turning it over he found Paragon's golden seal and emotion welled in his throat. Was this Paragon's last will? He set his jaw as he glanced to Wing and Scout who still watched the exchange with expressions ranging from intrigued to slightly amused. Carefully breaking the seal, Aegis unfolded the letter, found Paragon's elegant handwriting:

My Dear Aegis,

At the moment, you and sweet Zoe are enjoying Silverwing Falls, you must forgive me for that as I know how much the place means to you. If you're able to resist her in such a romantic place I know I'll never doubt your word again. I imagine you will be angry with me, but I know you Aegis. You will do your duty.

To the point of this note... If you're reading this it means things have not gone to plan in some way. I hate to think that I might be dead as you read this, but you do know I like to be prepared for all eventualities. If I am indeed dead, then hope is not all lost. I'll be giving this letter to Keeper. He's been my secret confidant all these years as we've tried to perfect the formula. Our lovely Zoe is the latest and--hopefully--our first successful subject. I've seen these past few days your mutual affection and so I entrust you with her care. I think you are the one Oathkeeper that would give your life to protect this little human of ours. And if Keeper's newest formula is successful, she will be the mother of a new generation of our people. Can you imagine Aegis? An Oathkeeper-Human hybrid. Very exciting stuff, I'm only sad that I--apparently--will not live to see my life's work fulfilled. How anti-climactic.

If this latest formula works I expect she will fall pregnant soon with my child. But after that...I am not cruel, much as you might disagree. She can be yours. So, protect Zoe. Protect my unborn child and then you will be free to be together.

Good luck Aegis, and I hope you never have to read this. I hope I will live to see Zoe bear my little golden offspring. But in case the worse happens, the future of our people will lay in your hands.

Paragon

~~

Zoe gaped at Dr. Cotter. His words seemed to bang against her mind but were unable to break through. It was impossible. She flashed to Paragon holding her against him as he came inside her. Aegis and their blissful couple weeks. How many times had the pair of them filled her with their seed? If they were human men she'd have been panicking at the prospect of pregnancy the first time Paragon fucked her...but they weren't human. They were aliens. It was impossible. And yet... There were no other options.

"You're right. I'm sorry I lied," she blurted, letting tears fill her eyes as she met Zakl's hard look. "Rin and I were fucking the whole time. I was afraid I'd be disciplined for breaking regulations."

Zakl's face softened slightly as tears spilled from Zoe's eyes. "He was your superior, but since the poor man is dead there's no reason to harm his reputation. Can I trust you to continue to be discrete Zoe?"

"Of course, XO," she nodded demurely.

"And I'll get that ultrasound scheduled and a full blood panel on the fetus to ensure everything is all right. I really have no idea what effect those pills might have had on it," Dr. Cotter said as he briskly patted Zoe's hand.

The two men gave Zoe sympathetic looks before bustling away. Zoe stared after them, using every ounce of the control Aegis taught her over her emotions. How long did she have? Minutes? Hours? Once a blood test was run on her baby they would know the truth. There could be no doubt. As soon as she was alone in the clinic she slipped from the bed and grabbed up her crumpled clothes from the chair beside the little cot. Just as she finished dressing she glanced up to find Iona standing in the doorway, green eyes wide.

"You need to help me," Zoe whispered. She knew her friend. She could read the warring emotions. Her loyalty to Zoe and the Confederation. She had to help her.

~~

Iona stared at Zoe. Her old friend's bright eyes were wild and red with tears. She knew what the Admiral planned. They were trying to keep Zoe calm but the strange ability she'd shown had scared everyone. Zoe would never be free again. She and her connection to the Oathkeepers was too dangerous.

"Okay, let's go. We have to hurry," Iona whispered, decision made. She let her eyes slide to Zoe's stomach. How could Zoe have been so stupid to have tried to hide it? And why had she kept taking the pills?

Zoe hurried toward her, patting at her disheveled blond curls. Iona grabbed at her hand and tugged her from the clinic. Her mind raced. Where to go? Where to go? She just needed to get Zoe on one of the little transport shuttles. From there Zoe could go wherever she wanted. Back to the Oathkeepers? Iona shivered as she pulled Zoe along, keeping her head up and her eyes forward as she marched through the busy ship. "Stay close. Don't say anything," she hissed to Zoe as they entered the flight deck. "You can pilot any of these?" she asked softly, finally meeting Zoe's now determined blue eyes.

Zoe nodded, her eyes now flitting around. She pointed to a sleek scouting ship. "That one would be best."

Iona nodded and looked over the ship. Setting her shoulders, she put on her best authoritative face as she paced towards the ship. "Chief," she called to one of the crew. A short man in dirty overalls jerked his head up to stand at attention as she strode towards him. "I've got an urgent transport mission from the XO, can you get this ship ready to go ASAP?"

The Chief looked the two of them over. His brow furrowed as he took in Zoe. She was still wild eyed and her pretty golden hair was loose, falling down her back in a most unmilitary-like style. "I'll need the orders," he said haltingly.

"Yes, but can we at least get the flight checks started on the ship? XO is having the Admiral sign off as we speak." She stepped around the Chief, glancing up and down the little ship and ending the conversation. Behind her she sensed the Chief shrug and then he began yelling orders to a few of the deckhands scattered about.

Zoe stepped past her and ducked into the doorway of the ship like she belonged there. Iona glanced around and stepped in after her as the crew scrambled to prepare the ship. The ship was tiny, made for quick scouting missions. It included only the bare essentials and Iona glanced around, wondering where Zoe planned on going and how long she could survive on the ship. "What's the plan?" she whispered to Zoe as she dropped down next to her in the cockpit.

"I know the coordinates where Aegis was meeting with his crew. I'll head that direction first. I think I can get a link set up to Beam as well and she can hopefully point me in the right direction."

"So you're going back to them," Iona nodded, her stomach sinking. She'd known, deep down, that it was her only choice but the thought of her friend barreling back to the terrifying aliens that had held her captive for a month... "Are you sure you can't just--"

A claxon sounded and the two women froze, their eyes going wide simultaneously. "We need to go," Zoe hissed. She began tapping at the flight console and the door to the shuttle banged shut behind them.

"Wait, I can't come with you Zoe! Open the door!" Iona yelped.

"Sorry, too late. And they'd toss you in the brig the second you stepped back out there." Zoe's voice had gone frighteningly calm as she strapped herself into her chair and the engines whirred to life. "You're going to want to strap in," she glanced to Iona, her blue eyes determined.

Iona dropped into the chair, shock quaking through her as she numbly tightened the belt over her chest and hips. The ship began to shake and she watched as Zoe expertly swiped at the controls and a voice sounded over the intercom. "Falcon 4, you do not have permission to take off. Halt your engine sequence now. Repeat, you're ordered to shut--" Zoe flipped a switch and the intercom was silenced.

She glanced to Iona with a tense smile, "Hold on."

If there was one thing Iona was good at, it was following orders. She grabbed at her armrests and squeezed her eyes shut as Zoe powered the ship up. The next few seconds became a cacophony of warning sirens and screeching metal as Zoe maneuvered her ship out of the docking bay. Iona was thrown back against her seat at the ship surged from the Silent Maiden. Zoe cursed under her breath as she piloted the ship and sent it spinning sickeningly to avoid pursuit. As she clamped her eyes shut and clutched at her restraints, she really began to doubt helping Zoe escape. Either they'd be shot out of the air now...or she'd be stuck with Zoe as they escaped back into the arms of the Oathkeepers. Or they'd be caught and she'd be tossed in the darkest Confederation prison imaginable. None of these were promising scenarios.

"Iona!" she suddenly felt Zoe's hand on hers and snapped open her eyes to find Zoe staring at her in concern. "God, I thought you'd had a mental break or something."

"What?" Iona croaked out.

"We're free. I've been trying to get you open your eyes for ten minutes but you looked like you'd gone into a fugue," Zoe laughed grimly, still searching Iona's eyes.

Iona stared at her friend. Zoe. She'd known her for nearly ten years. They'd gone through basic together and the moment Iona had seen the pretty blonde with her wild hair and eyes you wanted to fall into she'd been smitten. But now...ten years later she was sitting next to her. Had sank once more into those eyes and thrown her entire career away to help her reckless friend escape. "I'm going to be sick," Iona whispered as she bent over to vomit.

"Shit, fuck," Zoe yelped and suddenly was shoving a receptacle in Iona's face. Iona heaved and heaved into the little plastic bag until her stomach spasmed and only clear bile dripped from her lips. She glanced back up to Zoe with tear filled eyes.

"What have we done? My life is over..." she whispered.

"I'm so sorry," Zoe brushed at the tears on Iona's cheeks, her expression now sad as she took in her friend. "I didn't want to involve you. But I had to protect my child..." she trailed off, her eyes growing distant as she dropped a hand to her stomach.

"Zoe," Iona sighed, grabbing shakily at Zoe's hand. "Why didn't you tell me about you and Rin? This is all so fucked."

Zoe started, her blue eyes narrowing as she studied Iona. Finally she spoke softly. "It's not Rin's."

Iona stared at her, uncomprehending. Who else's could it be? Her mind raced. Zoe wasn't a SLUT per se...but she did get around. But she'd been out on the mission with Rin for months before being captured by the Oathkeepers.... Iona suddenly remembered the bite marks she'd seen on Zoe's neck as they'd bundled her to the clinic after she'd thrown Ethan across the lounge. And then Ethan's raving words about Zoe being an Oathkeeper whore... She suddenly felt sick again as she met Zoe's eyes. "That's impossible." She shook her head.

"I know," Zoe said softly and it was all the confirmation Iona needed.

Tears began to stream down Iona's cheeks again. "Why didn't you tell me they'd been raping you?"

Zoe gulped as she looked away. "I didn't think it was anyone's business. What Paragon did to me. It was over. He was dead."

"But Zoe, they're monsters! How could you want to go back? How could you not tell the Confederation what to expect?" Iona grabbed at Zoe's hands.

Zoe stiffened, her face going hard. "Aegis isn't like that. The rest aren't like that."

"Aegis..." Iona said slowly and the look in Zoe's eyes again told her more than her words. "Aegis. The Onyx that delivered you to us. Which one is the father Zoe?"