The Old House on Drury Lane

Story Info
Luca discovers he's found more than a perfect house.
33.3k words
4.85
40k
56
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This one is for the Halloween Story Contest 2022. As always, your votes and comments would be much appreciated. I hope you enjoy this, and have a Happy Halloween!

ANDI

"Don't you think this whole thing is kind of weird?" I leaned in and whispered to my sister.

Glancing around the room, Kate shrugged. "To be honest, I never pictured myself buying a house with perfect strangers. But I think it might be the only way that Rich and I will ever be able to afford to buy anything."

I took a moment to study the small crowd milling around the room, wondering what she was thinking. "But what if you wind up with people you can't even stand?" I gestured with my head to a couple standing apart from everyone, suspiciously eyeing the crowd. "Like that couple over there. For all you know, the guy with the goatee might be a total perv. And his wife with the drink in her hand could be a closet drunk. Do you really want to risk your hard-earned money to live with people like that? Surely, you must have some close friends or family you could trust enough to consider buying with, before you do something this crazy."

Kate smirked. "Well, Rich's sister Trish and her husband are looking to buy, but I don't think I could live with that laugh."

I grimaced, remembering the first time we met, and how grating her laugh was. "Oh, yeah, she's the one that cackles like a chicken, isn't she?"

"Yeah, and pretty much non-stop. I don't know how they're still married. Though her husband says he won't buy a house without a mancave."

"Can't say that I blame him. If I were him, I think I'd be taking refuge anywhere I could. Even if I had to build a shed in the yard, or dig out something under ground, just to get away from that horrible cackle."

Still chuckling, Katie pointed out a listing on one of the tables. "Andi, check out this little place. It's so cute, it would be perfect for you. It's got two bedrooms, and a nice size yard. And even has a finished basement."

I wrinkled my nose as I looked at the bland little eight hundred square foot, mud-brown bungalow. "For such a small house, it's still a lot of money."

"Well, house prices are going through the roof. Which is why we're here, hoping to find a way to get a foot in the door, before the prices climb even higher and we get shut out. I just don't want to throw away any more money on rent, especially now that we're hoping to start a family."

Lifting my gaze from the listing, I noticed a good-looking dark-haired guy, staring right back. We exchanged smiles, and as I watched him walk towards me, I couldn't believe the little shiver that went through me - especially considering that I'd sworn off dating.

"Ooh, now that's one good looking man," my sister whispered, as hot stuff approached.

Just as he came to stand beside me, I noticed the tall, bleach blonde, heavily endowed real estate agent, waving an arm in the air to get everyone's attention.

"Hello!" She said, with a big smile. "Welcome, everyone. I'm Lacy Duval, the agent that arranged this little get together. And I'm delighted to see such a big turn out. Hopefully you'll be able to make a match and find the home you're looking for, with just the right people."

I noticed the moment her gaze settled on Hot Stuff, from the way her eyes lit up as she shot him a seductive smile.

Still focusing on him, her voice got a little breathy as she cleared her throat and told the room at large, "I'm hoping to talk to all of you individually, before the night is over. But if I miss any of you, my card is on the table by the door. And please feel free to call if you have any questions. For now, I'd like to draw your attention to the white board behind me, which will help to explain a few things about the process."

I looked up and saw that she had a list of reasons why people were willing to try buying a house with friends or even strangers. Obvious things like splitting the cost of the house and all the bills, and of course the maintenance, were no brainers. But it also mentioned the idea of buying with someone else just to enjoy some companionship. Which was something I'd never considered. Though I had been wondering how I was going to enjoy living on my own for the first time in my life.

I listened as she continued, "Somewhere in the crowd is our real estate lawyer Susan Taylor, who can answer any of the questions you might have regarding legal issues. Susan would be able to explain about all the legal technicalities involved in buying a home with other people. She can also show you a copy of a co-ownership agreement, which would of course include an exit strategy, if it were needed."

The tiny gray-haired lawyer, smiled and waved her arm in the air, so we could see her in the middle of the crowd.

Once Lacy had finished, I shook my head and said more or less to myself, "Well, I know this isn't for me. No way would I ever buy a house with a total stranger."

"I hear you," the guy beside me agreed. "I just popped in to see what it was all about. But I couldn't imagine agreeing to buy anything with someone I don't even know."

I felt a little spellbound as I turned and looked into his big, long-lashed brown eyes. Remembering what he'd said, I nodded toward my sister Kate. "I have been looking at houses. But my sister's the one who wanted to come tonight to explore her options. I'm just here to keep her company, since my brother-in-law couldn't make it."

There was a hint of mischief in his eyes as he set another listing down on the table, and asked, "Then what do you think of this place?"

I could feel my eyes pop as I looked at the house of my dreams. "Oh, my goodness, what a beautiful old house. But I could never afford anything like that."

He looked up into my eyes, and flashed the most devastating smile. "Even if you only had to pay half?"

Smirking, I held his gaze, mostly to see if he was serious. "Being on my own, I'm looking for something pretty tiny. And I don't think I could afford even half of what something like that would cost." He had the price covered, and when he lifted his hand, he chuckled at the way I gasped, I was so surprised. "That can't be right. It's not much more than that tiny bungalow I was looking at over there."

"Well, it does say that it needs a little work. Though it's had a lot upgrades over the years, like a new kitchen and new bathrooms. And the roof's only a few years old. But it's also pretty close to an industrial area. Though a lot of the manufacturers are gradually moving out to the suburbs. Which means the value has nowhere to go but up."

"Then you should go and take a look at it, if you think it's a good deal."

"Or, maybe just for fun, we could both go and check it out."

Though I was already shaking my head, I had to admit I was tempted. "Sorry, but I don't even know you. And like I said, I'm not really into buying anything with anyone else."

He shrugged. "To be honest, neither am I. But it wouldn't hurt to look, would it?" He pulled out his wallet and handed me his card. "I'm Luca Barone," he said, holding out his hand to shake mine. "And I think we'd be crazy if we didn't at least go and take a look."

I stared down at his card as he shook my hand. He had me so confused, it felt like my head was spinning. Everything was just happening so fast. One minute I was agreeing to come along to support my sister, and now I was contemplating looking at a house with someone I'd just met.

It kind of reminded me of the time my oldest sister talked my mother into 'just taking a look' at the pets in the animal shelter. Of course, an hour later we ended up walking out with two old tabby cats that the shelter volunteer told us really needed a home together, since their owner had just died.

They were adorable cats that we all fell in love with, but no way was I going to get talked into anything with this guy, no matter how convincing he sounded, or how good looking he was. And I wasn't planning on scratching him under the chin, either, even if he liked it. Although, I couldn't deny that I was curious to see what the old place would look like, especially inside.

I didn't realize that my sister was right behind me, and obviously overheard what we'd been saying. Until she leaned in and whispered, "Andi, I'd go take a look if I were you, before someone else snaps it up."

"So, what do you say?" Luca asked while I was taking a longer look at the listing.

Lacy, the real estate agent came over just then, flashing a sultry smile as she extended her hand to Luca. "I don't think we've met. I'm Lacy, and if there's anything I can do for you, anything at all, just ask."

I rolled my eyes, wondering if she could be any more transparent. But if she started climbing him like a tree, I was going to leave and let her have him.

I nearly jumped out of my skin, when Luca slipped his arm around me and told her, "Since you asked, my lady and I would love to have a look at the old house on Drury Lane."

I turned and stared at the side of his head, wondering if he'd lost his mind. Until I noticed him wink. Obviously, he had his reasons for pretending we were together, though I couldn't imagine what they were.

"Well, I've got an opening around six tomorrow evening, if you're okay to see it then. It really is a beautiful old house. The owner had started to fix it up to sell, and sadly she passed away before everything was completed."

"Sorry to hear that," Luca said. "But six o'clock works for me. How about you, sweetheart?" he turned and asked me.

"Um, yeah, sure. Six is good for me, too."

Lacy finally smiled at me and said, "Well, I'll see you both tomorrow night then." As she was flitting away to talk to another couple, I gave Luca a really hard stare wondering what the hell he was thinking.

Chuckling, he leaned in and whispered, "If she thinks we're serious buyers, interested in finding our forever home, she'll take some time to really show us around. But if she thinks we're just looky-loos, we'll be lucky if she gives us five minutes."

"Sounds like you've done this before. So, I guess I'll go along with it."

Though I still wondered how he'd managed to talk me into not only having a look at the old place, but also agreeing to pretend that we were a couple.

"Just tell me where you live, and I'll pick you up around five-thirty, if that works for you."

"Or, I could meet you there."

My ever-helpful sister, was already handing him a scrap of paper with my address scrawled on it, before I could even finish what I was saying. "She's a teacher, so she gets off work about four o'clock. So, five-thirty should be fine." I couldn't believe she was talking around me like I wasn't even there.

"Hey, Kate, if you like the house so much why don't you and Rich go take a look at it?" I suggested, since she was the one that was here to find a house.

"Oh, I would love a house like that, but Rich said he wants something newer. He's not the handyman type, so he'd never agree to buying an older house. All he wants to do is move in and enjoy it."

"Well, I renovate homes for a living. So, I'd be happy to take it on," Luca said nodding at the listing.

Blowing out a breath, I decided I might as well just give in and go. "Okay. Guess I'll see you tomorrow night, then."

Then my sister, not quite done humiliating me, decided to embarrass me a little more. "Would you happen to have another card in your wallet, Luca?"

When he handed her his card, I couldn't believe that she stood right in front of him and googled him on her phone.

While she looked him up online, Luca connected with someone on his phone and handed it to me. "Say hi," he said as I took his phone, wondering what the heck was going on.

I looked at him confused, and said, "Hi. Who's this?"

The woman on the other end of the phone sounded just as confused. "This is Anna Barone. And who am I speaking with?"

"Um. I'm Andi O'Brien, and I just wondered if you knew a Luca Barone."

"I should hope so, since I'm his mother. Why, has something happened to him?"

"Oh, no, everything's fine. I think he just wanted you to vouch for him."

She laughed, sounding relieved. "Well, even though he is my son, I think he's a wonderful young man. He works hard, he's honest, and he's very good to his family."

"Okay, well thank you, Mrs. Barone."

Luca gestured for his phone, so I handed it back, and rolled my eyes at my sister who was still investigating him online. While Luca was stepping away chuckling and saying thanks and goodbye to his mother, Kate showed me a few pictures that she'd found of him at some kind of charity event.

Holy smokes! If I thought he looked hot in jeans, a sweater and leather jacket, seeing him decked out in a tux, I realized just how good looking he really was. Kind of swarthy, and hunky and sophisticated, all rolled into one. What a lethal combo. The shapely blonde on his arm, seemed pretty happy with him too, from the way she was coyly smiling up at him.

Noticing Luca walking back towards us putting away his phone, I furiously whispered to my sister, "Quick, get rid of those pictures before he sees them."

She grinned as she tucked her phone away in her purse. "But he sure looked hot all dressed up for a night on the town though, didn't he?"

Yeah, he sure did. Not that it mattered to me. We were just going to check out the house, and that would be it. We'd say goodbye and most likely never see each other again.

LUCA

Once I'd said goodnight to the ladies, I laughed to myself as I climbed into my truck and drove back home. I don't know what it was about her, but the moment I saw that cute little redhead with those big blue eyes, I just had to meet her. I sure as hell didn't need to buy a house with anyone else, but I figured it might be fun to look around with her. And once we got to know each other, maybe she'd agree to go out sometime, even just for a coffee.

I took a shower when I got home. And when I got in bed, I just couldn't get her out of my head. As strange as it was, since I was never the type to obsess over a woman, I realized that I could hardly wait to see her again.

Next night, I dropped in to check on a kitchen reno on an older house my crew was working on in the city. Mario, one my finish carpenters was showing me the spice rack he'd built in, and some the other features the client had asked for, like a couple of lazy susans.

While he was busy explaining how he'd managed to make everything fit, I took a quick look at my watch and noticed the time, and thought I'd better get home, shower and change so I could pick up Andi. "Everything looks great, guys," I said with a wave as I walked out the door.

Normally, I'd hang around to see if I could help with anything, but tonight I had other plans.

Besides, I was trying to delegate more, and knew the house was in good hands. Still, I kind of laughed as I was leaving, noticing they all looked pretty shocked at the way I left, but I didn't want to keep her waiting.

When Andi answered the door of a big two-story house in a nice, leafy suburban neighborhood, I thought she looked absolutely adorable. Clad in a short little black skirt, fuzzy white sweater set, and tiny high-heeled shoes, she looked like a little doll. "Wow, you look cute," I told her, because she really did.

Though I'd always gone for tall, shapely blondes, there was just something about her. She was such a cute little package I was tempted to scoop her up just to see what she weighed.

She wrinkled her nose as she started pulling the door closed behind her. "Yeah, I'm the cute one. I've got four sisters that are tall, blonde and gorgeous, but I'm the one that everyone thinks is cute with my fiery red hair and freckles. Sheesh."

Realizing I'd struck a nerve, I figured I'd better not call her that again, at least if we wanted to stay friendly. But she really was cute.

About to click the door shut behind her, she poked her head back in and called out, "I'm off to see the house. See you later, Mom," just as a pretty middle-aged blonde lady came rushing down the hallway to say goodbye.

A little breathless, she thrust her hand out to shake mine. "You must be Luca. I'm Andi's mom, Beth."

I nodded hello. "Nice to meet you, Beth."

Smiling at her daughter, her mom looked a little wistful. "I still can't believe my baby is old enough to buy a house. But I guess she's decided it's time she left the nest."

"Well, considering I'm almost twenty-five, I'd say it's time I got a place of my own, otherwise the two us will be retiring here together. And just think, once I'm gone, you can finally downsize, so you won't have this big house to take care of anymore."

"Sweetie, I'm in no hurry to move," her mother said with a grin, giving Andi a playful little nudge. "But I think you are."

Shaking her head chuckling, Andi gave her a little eyeroll, pressed a kiss to her mother's cheek, and said, "See you later, Mom."

I held the door open to my truck and gave her a hand up, to help her climb in. I could have lifted her in just as easy, but sensing she had a thing about her size, I didn't want to tick her off.

Once we started down the highway, Andi heaved a little sigh. "I love them to bits, but my family is just so overprotective. Which is why I can hardly wait to get a place of my own. My sister Kate, who you met, suggested I buy a place with them. But she's even worse than my mother."

"Your mother seems nice, though."

"Oh, she is. She's an amazing woman. My dad died when I was only ten, and my mother basically had to raise the five of us on her own, since he'd been sick for as long as I could remember."

"That must have been hard for your mom, to have to handle everything on her own."

"Well, she got us through college, and we really never lacked for much. But now I'd love to see her retire, so she can finally get out and enjoy herself. Which is why I think she should sell the house and buy something smaller, like a condo. Then she could travel whenever she wanted, and not have to worry about cutting grass or shoveling snow."

I looked across at her. "You ever think of buying something like a condo?"

"No." She shook her head. "That would never work for me. I want a place with a nice sized yard, so I can grow some veggies and maybe even get a dog."

"Yeah, you like dogs?"

"Oh, I love animals. We never had any pets in my house. It was hectic enough for my mother, with five girls to raise. But in college, I had my dream job, working part time as a receptionist, at a vets. I'd see so many different breeds, and I loved interacting with all of them. And I always thought that one day, I'd love to dog of my own. And there's just so many of them looking for homes."

"Yeah, I've thought about getting a dog, but never really looked into it. I guess 'cause I'm always so busy. Though, I'm starting to learn to delegate a little more, and trust the people I have working for me."

We were just driving onto Drury Lane and Andi turned to face me. "Before we go in, I think we'd better get our story straight. Are we just dating, or are we supposed to be engaged?"

"I think we'd better say we just got engaged, and your ring is at the jewelers being sized."

"Wow, you're good at this. I just hope I can keep a straight face, because I'm not a very good liar."

I reached over and slipped her hand into mine. "Well, at least for tonight, we should act like we're together."

I loved the way she blushed, as she smiled over at me. "I guess we could fake it for one night."

As we pulled into the double-wide driveway, Andi's eyes popped when she got her first look at the old place. "Oh, Luca, don't you just love that big wide covered veranda, and those dormer windows? Its just got so much character that you just don't see in newer houses. I can just picture two big pumpkins sitting on the top step. And wouldn't it look amazing done up for Halloween?"

123456...9