The One Less Traveled

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm visiting here, and I have a few days to fill up. Any suggestions?"

Kristin lowered her eyebrows.

"Places to visit," he added.

"A couple, I would suggest. The fort downtown is good if you're into history. And the Rolling Rock brewery...if you're into beer," she added, a playful smile on her face.

"Got me," he said, laughing.

"And didn't you say you were from California?"

"Sure am. A long way from home."

As Hey You continued to talk about California, she studied him carefully, working to figure out who he was. He said something that seemed familiar, and it suddenly struck her. A huge smile filled her face.

He stopped mid-sentence. "Where did that sudden smile come from?"

She bit her lower lip. "I think I know who you are." Her cheeks turned rosy as she said that.

"I'm just me, a tourist, and nothing special."

"Wynn," she said softly.

He looked at her, and she looked at herself in his glasses.

She heard him sigh. He moved his right arm toward her, his little finger extended.

"You are, aren't you?"

He wiggled his little finger.

She chuckled and locked her finger with his.

"You figured it out, but it's a secret. Pinky promise?"

"I may explode trying to keep it in, but okay," she said, giggling.

He lowered his glasses.

She could see that it was definitely Wynn Trotter.

"Oh my gosh, I can't believe I'm sitting here with--"

--Shush," he interrupted, sliding the glasses back into place.

Her whole body was tingling.

"How long are you here in Pennsylvania?"

"A couple more months for sure."

"Have you always lived in California?"

"No place else."

"Much snow there?"

"I've skied a couple of times."

You'll see snow here. In fact, it's supposed to turn colder and snow on Friday and Saturday."

"I'll be here to see it, then."

"Drive carefully if it does snow."

"I have driven before."

Kristin wanted to say more but chose discretion.

"I know I'm a nerd, but doing movies must be exciting."

Wynn snorted. "It's still work, and when it goes well, it's good, and when..." His voice trailed off.

Kristin watched the expression on his face change -- the sunglasses couldn't hide it.

"Sorry. Like lots of jobs, sometimes it's not as glamorous as people think it is."

"Even working here can be like that, too," she said with a giggle, unable to stifle the effervescence that was coursing through her body.

Wynn Trotter. It wasn't Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, or Johnny Depp, but it was Wynn Trotter, and no one would believe her if she was allowed to tell.

But, despite how she was feeling, she sensed that Wynn's feelings didn't match hers.

"I guess being a star doesn't keep bad things from happening, does it?" She could see herself in his sunglasses once again as he looked straight at her.

"I guess that with the money I make, and the publicity I get, I should be happy no matter what, huh?"

"If you were, you wouldn't be human."

Wynn slowly nodded. "Am I human?"

"You're sitting here talking to me, and you look and sound very human."

"I'm afraid you're biased."

Kristin wasn't a nurse yet, but her friends all accused her of switching to nurse mode whenever a problem came up.

"So, what happened?" she asked, then wished she hadn't.

Wynn was silent, and Kristin wished she could suddenly become invisible. Who was she to ask Wynn Trotter, "So, what happened." She prayed silently that the lunch crowd would appear. Why was he just looking at her?

Wynn began nodding. "You're really interested, aren't you," he asked, lifting his glasses in order to make eye contact with her.

Kristin's eyes were wide, but predictably, and almost unconsciously, she had gone to nurse mode. She watched him look away, then drop his glasses back into place.

"What time are you finished with work today?"

That surprised her. "I work from six in the morning until two in the afternoon."

"Strictly up to you, but I'll be in the parking lot at two, and we can talk."

She was talking with him now, but talking then...wow, and he wanted to talk with her.

"Okay," was her simple answer. And with customers coming through the door, she said, "You haven't ordered yet."

"Surprise me."

"I can't," she started to say, but the big smile on his face told her he was serious.

In the kitchen, she told Lloyd the stranger would have the chicken fried steak with two sides, maybe home fries, and more green beans. It was difficult not to say anything about who the "stranger" was, but she wasn't about to break that trust.

By the time she'd taken the orders for the four newcomers, more of the lunch bunch were showing up, and she was busy. When she brought Wynn his chicken fried steak, he eyed it warily, then took a big bite.

"I'm learning things every day here," he said, smiling at her. This is different but very tasty. When she handed him his tab, he gave her a fifty-dollar bill.

"Keep it," he said softly.

"You can't keep doing this," she said equally softly.

"I send money to St. Jude's Hospital for kids I never see. I send money to the Special Olympics for kids I never see. This is going to someone I can see and someone who needs it for a good cause. It's a first for me, being here and seeing who I'm helping in person."

Between the lines, she could hear this Hollywood guy gently pleading with her not to steal his enjoyment. He was like no one she had read about in People Magazine.

"Thank you."

"Two o'clock then, if you're sure."

"Two o'clock with the mysterious stranger."

She was sure he visibly relaxed. She knew this was Wynn Trotter, the guy she'd seen in at least two movies, but he didn't seem at all like she'd imagined he would. She watched his back as he walked out the door.

"Hey, Kris, if you have a second?"

"Hi, Jimmy. It's good to see you. Sit down, and I'll get you something to drink. What's your pleasure today?"

"I'm not gonna have lunch today, but remember what we talked about the other day?"

"A computer?"

"Yup. If you can really help me, I'll do it. And I can pay you a little and keep you supplied with fruits and vegetables."

A big smile went in Jimmy's direction. "You're not going to pay me because I'm going to enjoy doing it. I do like fruit and vegetables, though."

"If you're sure."

"How about three o'clock tomorrow to look for a computer?"

An amazed look on his face, Jimmy answered, "Okay, Kris, and thank you."

Two days in a row, she'd be spending her afternoon with a man. Quite a change for Kris.

*****

What had he agreed to?

And what was he going to say?

What would Kristin be expecting?

Coming to Pennsylvania seemed to have had strange effects on Wynn. He'd fumbled lines, something he wasn't used to doing. He'd upset the director and his assistant, and now he was going to unload on the server from the little diner...the diner with the plain but delicious food.

With a few hours to fill, he decided to head to Latrobe and tour the brewery.

The tour was interesting, and he limited himself to a small sample cup of the beer. He preferred craft beers, his favorite being Old Rasputin, as all of the craft beers had unique flavors.

With a little extra time to fill, he reviewed his lines, even adding a few improvisations that he might try out if Alex was in a good mood. Ugh. Alex.

Wynn timed things well, pulling into the parking lot at the diner at five minutes before two. There were just a few cars still there from lunch, so she should be able to find him easily.

He watched her come out the door, look around for a moment, then come directly toward him.

"I hoped you'd find me," he said as a greeting.

"We don't have many Porsches in our parking lot, so it wasn't too difficult," she replied, laughing. She was amazed when Wynn's cheeks turned the tiniest bit pink, and he chuckled.

"That's part of my problem, I think. Too much California in me."

"Is that bad? I don't think I know anyone else from California."

"You're probably lucky," he said, chuckling.

"I think you can learn from anyone you meet."

Wynn eyed Kristin. She had seemed awed by his movie star status at times. He could tell it from her face, but right now, he couldn't detect any of that. She wasn't like anyone he'd ever met before.

"So why did you agree to meet me here in the parking lot?"

She eyed him carefully. "Not because of the big tips you leave," she said with a smile, deciding to lighten things a tiny bit.

"Why, then?" Wynn countered, still very serious.

"Well, I'm not the smartest person in the world, I don't have lots of money, and I'm not famous, but I can listen, and I can talk, and you seemed interested in that."

"You're right, of course."

"Who goes first?" she asked, surprising Wynn.

"Wait, you don't have problems, too, do you?"

"Just the usual; saving money for school, getting to work on time, hoping my car will start each morning, and now helping Jimmy learn about the computer."

Wynn turned his head to the side. "Jimmy?"

"One of the older guys who eats at the diner. We were talking, and I found out he's never had a computer, but he'd like it if someone could teach him how to use it."

"And that someone is Kristin?"

She chuckled. "I'm gonna try. I'm not a teacher, but I hope I can figure out how to make it easy for Jimmy." She cleared her throat self-consciously. "Enough about me. That's not why we're here."

"You're never quite sure," he said. "When you're talking seriously with people, things you aren't expecting can pop up."

"Inside, I asked you a question that I wished I hadn't right then. But now, I'm going to ask that same question. So, what happened?"

Now that he was here and thought he was ready to talk with Kristin, Wynn felt strange. He wasn't usually the one who was timid and uncertain. He was the main attraction on those occasions, smiling and confident. Today was different. At first, when she'd discovered his identity, she'd seemed awed, but that had passed quickly, and he wasn't used to that. Not at all.

"Wynn, I feel silly telling you we don't have to do this."

A nervous smile from the star. "I know, Kristin, but I think I should."

"So, what happened?"

He eyed her again and then sighed. "It's a story of me finding a part of me that I didn't realize existed. Or maybe it didn't exist before, and I allowed it to sneak into my life without resisting it."

"What is IT, Wynn?"

He snickered. "Ego."

"Actors have to have an ego, don't they?"

"Everyone does. It's the size of the ego that's critical."

"So, for you, is ego your identity and who you think you are?"

"Sure, and you have an ego too."

"I do, I guess. I'm proud of the job I do at the diner and other things."

"And if someone complains, how do you react?"

"If they're right, I'm upset with myself and try to fix it. If not, I just ignore it, I guess, and move on." She raised her eyebrows, questioning Wynn.

"That was me," he said, shaking his head.

"So, what happened?"

"Kristin, you're way too persistent. I'm sure you've already guessed; someone stepped on my ego, and it hurt. That really never happened before. And part of it was my fault, but that didn't matter." Wynn took a deep breath. "How dare they come after me like that. After all, I'm Wynn Trotter."

"And that's new for you?"

"That last feeling sure is. And, honestly, it's why I'm sitting here with you."

Kristin wasn't sure if stunned was the correct word to describe how she was feeling, but it had to be close. She was sitting in a car with a movie star, who had asked her to be there and who was sharing his life's problems with her. Did he expect her to solve them?

He interrupted her thoughts.

"I was just turned down for a picture I was sure I was going to get. I had worked out travel and all. They wanted someone more exciting."

She knew what was coming.

"What do you think?"

At least, that was a question she could answer.

"Is that important to you?"

"What, that I'm not exciting enough. I've worked hard my whole career to stay out of the limelight, to be a private person, and not be in all the tabloids, magazines, and late-night shows."

He frowned and stared out the side window of the Porsche. His head slowly pivoted toward her, and he smiled.

"The fruits of my labor, huh."

She was almost afraid to agree with him, and she hadn't known all the details, but he did seem like a quiet and somewhat subdued guy.

"I guess I've got some thinking to do. And thanks for being brave enough to do this."

"I'd say, 'anytime,' but this isn't my thing. I'm just the server at Lloyd's Diner."!

"You sound like you're apologizing."

"No, no, I'm not. Guh! I guess I'm just confused."

"I'm sure you're less confused than I am," Wynn said, chuckling.

She shrugged, still not sure what was happening and why.

"I'll let you go now, and thanks again for your help. I'll give you a ride home if you need it."

"My car is across the lot there." She laughed. "Just wait until I get it started, if that's okay."

It started, she waved, and both of them drove away, headed in opposite directions.

*****

At just after noon on Tuesday, Jimmy Jones came through the door of the diner, a smile on his face.

"Ready for some lunch, Jimmy?"

"Sure am, Chris. Something else too."

Kris looked puzzled for just an instant. "Your new computer, I bet," she said, laughing.

"Yeah. I've gotten kind of excited just thinking about it. Anytime you're ready, I am."

"I'm through here at two o'clock."

"I'll drive wherever you think we should go."

"We could always just order it online."

Jimmy's face darkened.

Kris chimed in. "I figured you'd want to see it and touch it. There's a Best Buy in Greensburg, and they have lots of computers for lots of different prices."

"Are you sure you want to do this, Kris? It may get frustrating. I mean, I'm still a flip phone guy and happy with it."

"I think it will be fun, Jimmy, and I'll be learning stuff too."

The drive was less than twenty miles but still took nearly thirty minutes. Kris was sure Jimmy had never been in a Best Buy as he stood just inside the door looking around, his mouth part-way open.

"Let's head to the computer section unless you want to get one of these giant TVs."

"Kris, my living room is so small that while I was watching one end of that TV, I'd miss what was happening on the other end."

With help from one of the computer clerks, they finally decided on a fairly simple HP with a price tag of $379.

"I'd recommend purchasing Microsoft Office, too," the clerk suggested.

Jimmy looked at Kris, his question obvious.

"I think we'll wait for that. Jimmy has lots to learn before we get too complicated."

Jimmy took the box, and the two of them headed for the checkout counter.

"You'll love that computer, sir," the lady said. "I just bought one like it for my son."

"I hope so," Jimmy replied.

"Is this your daughter?"

Jimmy chuckled. "I'd be right proud if she was my daughter, but she is a friend who's gonna to help me with this thing," he said, patting the box.

The lady smiled at Kris. "Good luck, you two." She turned to Jimmy. If you have your credit card, we'll get you on the way home."

Jimmy smiled. "How much is it, ma'am?"

"With tax, it comes to four-hundred-one dollars and seventy-four cents."

Kristin's mouth nearly fell open as Jimmy pulled a huge wad of greenbacks from his pocket.

"Sorry, I've only got fifties," he said and began peeling off fifty-dollar bills. He stopped at eight. "Guess I'll have to break a fifty for the dollar whatever," he said.

"I have two ones, Jimmy. You can pay me back next time you come to the diner." She knew that Jimmy would insist on paying her back. She tossed them on the counter before he could protest.

"Not used to people handing me cash for a laptop," the lady said. She handed the twenty-six cents to Kristin.

All the paperwork complete, Kris and Jimmy headed for the truck, Jimmy anxious to get started.

"At my age, I don't get many new toys, Kris. This has got me kind of excited."

"If you put in a little effort, I think you'll really enjoy it."

"Open it up," he said as he pulled out of the parking lot and headed for Route 30, just a block or so away.

"Don't you want to wait and open it yourself?"

"Naw, go ahead. I want to see it."

Kristen carefully opened one end of the box and slid the laptop out. "There ya go," she said, loving Jimmy's big smile.

"It's shiny and nice," he said. "Is there an instruction book with it?"

"A small one. The full manual will be on the internet."

"I suppose I should get that internet hooked up to my place. I've got cable TV now."

"The internet will make the computer a lot more fun."

"Let me get the internet, and I'll read the little book and see what I can figure out myself. I've got lots of time."

"Call me if you have questions. I've got plenty of time to help you."

"A youngster like you shouldn't be spending their time with an old coot like me."

"Who should be, then?"

A long pause before Jimmy said, "I don't know, Kris. But I do enjoy it when I'm around you. You're always so bright and cheerful."

"Then don't be afraid to call if you need help."

"I promise I won't."

*****

It was Thursday before she saw Wynn again. He stopped by for lunch, but closer to noon this time, and she was busy. She finally got to his table, wondering what he might have to say to her after their time together on Monday. At least he was smiling.

He greeted her with, "It's way too cold."

"Gonna be colder tomorrow. And it's supposed to snow tonight."

"I had to buy a coat today. I heard that it may get into the teens by morning."

"Pretty coat, though."

"They said it should keep me warm. Goose down."

"Listen, I'd love to talk more, but..." She glanced around the restaurant.

"Big crowd. Just bring me the special." He handed her a fifty-dollar bill."

"Thank you," she said simply.

When she brought Wynn's food, he told her, "I've been thinking."

"And?" she asked as she set the plate of beef stew in front of him.

"We'll get together again, and I'll tell you. Maybe Sunday since I'm back to work next week."

"Sunday afternoon?"

"Perfect. Let me give you my personal cell number."

Once more, she could see her face reflected in his sunglasses. She held up her pinky.

"Not worried," he said and quietly recited the ten numbers as she entered them in her phone, watching her add "Stranger" as the name. "Call Saturday, and we'll work out the details. It's weird, but I'm anxious to share with you."

Kristin paid for Wynn's meal and put the change from the fifty in the pouch where she kept her tips.

In the kitchen, Lloyd grabbed her arm. "They're talking about maybe six inches of snow. I may just not open until noon tomorrow. I'll let you know this evening."

At home, Kristin was settled. Home was the apartment over her mother's garage. It was cozy and well-insulated. Her father had taken care of everything until the heart attack that changed their close-knit world. The house had three bedrooms, but Kristin had slept over the garage once she was old enough to be able to handle it.

Cold weather and her car were mortal enemies, taking turns winning the battle to get it running each cold morning. She'd be happy to hear that Lloyd had decided not to open the diner. It was only ten minutes later that she heard exactly that. She checked outside and watched the snow falling through the cone of brightness from the security light, snoozed through a movie, and went to bed.

In the morning, she trudged through the snow to have breakfast with her mother, who would try to do some of her house cleaning jobs this afternoon. She'd started making minimal money cleaning people's houses after she'd become a widow. It was difficult at first, but she was extremely conscientious and careful, along with being very thorough.