The One Less Traveled

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You want to explain that to me?"

"It's not right that you use your money like that."

"Kris, are you trying to tell me how to use my money?" he teased.

She thought she might cry. She hated that he'd done it, but it made her life wonderfully simple.

"The look on your face right this instant makes it more than worthwhile. I explained that to you before, didn't I?"

"You mean about the Special Olympics and St. Jude's Hospital?"

He nodded.

"How can I ever thank you?"

"That look thanked me more than anything else you could do."

"Thank you, Wynn. I have to get to class...but thank you."

Kris knew that concentrating on her classes would be a lost cause today. But she was there, even though it was nearly impossible to sit still in her seat. Her tuition was paid for the entire year, and she had a check for nearly ten thousand dollars in her backpack. She'd never imagined that talking with a stranger in the diner could lead to what had happened.

Classes finally ended, and today was one of the days when she helped Jimmy with his computer.

"Kris, what's going on? I've never seen you so, well, bubbly," Jimmy said, chuckling.

"It's just been a really good and exciting day."

"That's good, 'cause I think you have a busy life."

"It is, Jimmy, but I wouldn't trade it for anything."

Jimmy had a big smile on his face.

"You look like the cat that swallowed the canary."

"I guess we match, then," he said, "'cause I'm gonna let you have more time."

"How's that?"

"I saw something on the computer. That Best Buy place has computer classes for people like me. I signed up so you'd have more time to study and do whatever you want,"

"You didn't have to do that."

"I wanted to. You've been so good to me; I wanted to help out a little."

"Aww, Jimmy," she said as she hugged him.

But that gave her an idea.

"How's the email doing?"

"Well, okay, I guess. I don't have people to message with."

"Let me give you two email addresses, mine and my mother's."

"Kris, I already have yours, but your mother's?"

"I'm sure she'd enjoy helping you along with the email, and you two can share things and find out about each other."

"But I don't know her at all."

"And she doesn't know you either, so there's lots to learn, right? I'll let her know, so she'll be expecting your email."

"If you think it's okay, then, I guess."

"So now you can get on your way and bubble somewhere else," Jimmy said, laughing at his humor.

"Okay, friend. If you have problems or questions, you can still give me a call."

"Or send you an email."

Kristin returned his laugh. "Yep, or send me an email."

At home, Kristin debated about telling her mother about Wynn's paying her tuition but decided later would be a better time for that revelation. She did need to tell her about the possible emails she'd be receiving from Jimmy. Of course, she didn't plan to tell her mother the double reason for the Jimmy emails. She'd somehow have to arrange for them to meet at the diner.

She remembered Jimmy's telling her she seemed to be bubbling, and she knew that if she were like that around her mother, she'd be pushed until she admitted what what was causing it.

Lots of deep breaths got her through the evening, and her mother accepted her explanation about the email and Jimmy. She was even able to get some fruitful studying completed and was ready for the test scheduled for tomorrow. It had been a day beyond anything she could have imagined.

*****

Kristin and Wynn had drifted into a fairly regular schedule of Facetime calls that morphed into video conferences on their laptops, Wynn convincing her they needed to do that because she was too small on the phone.

Kris so enjoyed talking to Wynn that she began questioning herself. She was twenty-two years old, approaching twenty-three, and not a teenager, and the feelings she was developing for Wynn weren't a silly crush...as least, she hoped not. When she argued with herself about it, she often lost.

When she watched her mother and Jimmy, who were together much of the time these da ys, she prayed she might have some of the same for herself. Helping him with his email had moved to meeting at the diner for lunch and dinner. Sondra, Kris's mother, volunteered to clean Jimmy's home when he mentioned he had allowed his cleaning to fall behind.

She went three times, and Kris hesitated to ask her mother about it, probably because her mother didn't seem anxious to share it with her. Sondra seemed to be smiling more and seemed to have a different tone to her voice when she spoke Jimmy's name.

Sondra rather continuously questioned her daughter about the Hollywood guy, but Kristin was reluctant to reveal that her attraction to Wynn was growing stronger with each rapidly passing week. It seemed foolish, a server at a small town diner and the Hollywood star. It might happen in fairy tales, but not in Ligonier, Pennsylvania.

It was a cold Friday evening, and time for their call. She sent a text, and quickly they were seeing each other on computer screens.

"Are your finals this week?" he began.

She knew where he was headed, and it was not what she wanted.

Yes, and I'm all ready for them. I could take them tomorrow and get an A on each one.

"Be honest, now. If you need to study, sign off and go do it."

"I plan my work and study so that I have time to talk." That was more true than he could have imagined. There was nothing that would distract her from their calls.

"I trust you not to fib to me," he said with a laugh. "And I have a surprise for you."

She watched him wave at her.

It took just a second to figure it out. "Your cast is gone," she squealed.

"Yes, and that wave is about all I can do with the arm. Rehab starts next week."

"That's exciting news, Wynn. When do you get rid of the one on your leg?" She was so happy for Wynn, who'd finally be free of his "plaster."

"When's your last final?"

The quick change of subject puzzled her.

"Wednesday morning. Why?"

He was silent for a moment.

"I'd love for you to take me to get the cast removed."

"Say again, please." Kristin's eyes were wide as she was sure she'd heard him correctly.

"My cast comes off on Friday, my mother leaves on Saturday to visit friends in Texas...and I need you here to take care of me."

It was right in front of her. If she said no, there'd be no fairy tale, and everything would change. He'd used a special word, and she'd heard it. Need and not want. Had he chosen that word with a purpose? He'd certainly gotten to know her from their conversations, and that was a word that created a response within her.

"Wynn?"

A huge smile filled his face.

"Latrobe has a small airport. I'll have your ticket there for Wednesday, and I'll see you in California late Wednesday or, if that doesn't work out, on Thursday."

"Wynn, this is, well, so sudden."

"For you, I'm sure it is. But I've been thinking about it for a long time. And with you having a break..."

"Wynn, very honestly, there's something telling me to say no, but there's something else that's sweeping that first thought far, far away. Yes, I'd love to come to California.

She watched Wynn's eyes close. When they opened, he said, "Prayers do get answered."

They talked for nearly an hour, Wynn describing things they could do while she was there. But those were activities and not what she was anxious to hear.

She knew she had several days to get ready. That was the physical part. Was that enough time to prepare herself mentally? And what was she preparing herself for?

Her thoughts returned to that single important word she had heard--need. She clung to it fiercely, hoping it held the key that unlocked the reason for her agreeing to make the trip.

She had something to tell her mother when she got home.

"Okay, Sondra said after taking one look at Kris. "Sit down and tell me."

"I'm way too obvious, aren't I?"

"Sometimes."

"Mom, Wynn asked me to come to California for a visit,"

The smile that filled her mother's face was heartwarming and reassuring.

"It's fairly obvious that you said yes."

Kris debated for a moment. "He said he needed me to take care of him.. Not that he wanted me, but that he needed me. Do you think I'm picking at nits here?"

"Wynn impresses me as a man who'd choose his words very carefully."

Mom may have just been trying to make me feel better about her choice, but it didn't matter. She loved hearing her say that.

"So, when is this happening?"

"I have my last final on Wednesday morning, and he says he'll have tickets ready for me on Wednesday afternoon."

"I know you're going, but what are your feelings about all of this?"

"I'm excited just to see what happens. I really had no idea, although I guess I was hoping quite a bit. Talking to someone for weeks like we have, it seems, should cause something to happen.

"You sure have my blessing, so have fun and be safe."

"I will, Mom, and I'll keep you informed."

Later that night, Kris received a quick call from Wynn.

"Kristin, I have to hurry since Mom and her boyfriend are forcing me to go out to dinner with them, and it'll be late when we get home. I've booked your flights. The flight from Latrobe gets in too late to catch a flight to LA. So, I've booked a room for you at the Hyatt Regency Airport. There's a shuttle, and they'll bring you back in the morning for your flight. No complaining; it's first class, so you'll be comfortable."

"Wynn," she moaned, "do you always have to do that kind of thing?"

"Kristen Murray, don't you dare kick away my joy at being able to do that for you."

"I know, and I'm sorry."

"It's hard to change your nature and nurture, isn't it?"

"Yes, it certainly is."

"It's hard for me too. Got to run, and I'll be talking to you. Start packing."

Start packing.

She hadn't lied when she'd said she was ready for her finals, so beginning to pack was definitely possible without sacrificing anything.

She had a decision to make, though.

At about five-foot-seven, with dark hair and green eyes and a figure she kept fairly well hidden most of the time, she wondered if Wynn liked her best that way or...

She went to her apartment, determined to make a couple of decisions. She was somehow sure that Wynn would want to take her to the beach, and that might include swimming, although she was sure he'd be very limited in that respect.

Standing in front of the mirror she had carefully mounted on her closet door, she pulled off her St. Vincent College sweatshirt and her slacks. Lots of pale skin showed, but even in the rather plain bra and panties she was wearing, if she switched off the self-assessment part of her brain, she saw a very pretty and shapely lady. Customers at the diner, particularly the older men, had always told her she was pretty, but she'd always taken them as empty compliments and not as serious evaluations of her looks.

Still, Wynn was a good-looking guy...very good-looking. And he wanted... She closed her eyes. She didn't really know what he wanted. Maybe he was just considering her as a good friend, like a sister.

She began pacing the room. She actually had a bikini she'd bought in high school as a result of a dare from a good friend. They'd both gotten one but had chickened out at the last minute, not wearing them to their senior swim party.

Maybe she should just ask him in the next few days, before she left, "Wynn, what are your intentions?" She laughed out loud at that thought, unable to even imagine herself doing that.

The slacks and sweater were quickly back on. If Wynn wanted her to take care of him while his mother was away, that's how she'd approach the trip. It was frivolous to think it might be anything more than that. She was still the server from little Ligonier, Pennsylvania, and he was the Hollywood star. And he had paid her tuition and for plane tickets and a hotel room for this trip.

Maybe he just felt sorry for her.

Maybe she was on her way to lunacy.

Kris put on a coat and headed back to the house.

She sat with her mother, and they talked for an hour, Kristin doing most of the talking and Mother just listening and occasionally nodding. Near the end of the hour, she asked her daughter several questions.

"So, what's it going to be?" Sondra finally asked.

"I think the server from Ligonier is going to California and will play it by ear.'

"Good plan," Mom assured her.

Kris's weekend time was divided into four segments--study time, packing, spending time with her mother, and of course, video chats with Wynn. She had questions she'd love to ask Wynn, but she didn't, hoping they'd be answered when she was in California.

His enthusiasm came through her computer totally unfettered and caused her heart to pound, and heated her blood. When their calls were completed, she was not in a state that would make study profitable. It was only two days, and she did let Wynn know that Sunday afternoon was review time.

She had a final on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday mornings. She knew she had done well on each and shared that with her mom and with Wynn. In her conference with Wynn, he showed her the cast on his leg, telling her that, in just a couple of days, with her help, it would be coming off. They ended the call quickly so that Kristin could get to the airport in plenty of time.

Her mother had offered to drive her there, but there was no charge for parking at the small airport in Latrobe. The single small commuter plane looked lonely, sitting alongside the terminal. Luggage was checked, and Kris fidgeted, waiting to board, even though she was still a day away from California.

Her room at the Hyatt Regency was gorgeous, far beyond any of the inexpensive places where she'd stayed in the past. She showed Wynn around when they Facetimed, and he seemed satisfied. She chuckled when he said, "Can't wait for tomorrow," for the third time. She still had trouble imagining him getting so excited about the girl from Ligonier.

The flight time to Los Angeles was a little over three and a half hours, and the plane left at eight-fifteen in the morning, and with the time differential, she'd be arriving a little before nine in LA. She watched a movie and drank some water. Mostly, she just wondered.

They landed, Kris walked what seemed forever and finally rescued her suitcase. Wynn was to meet her outside the baggage area. She immediately spotted his wheelchair and watched him struggle to stand. She dropped the suitcase and ran to his open arms.

He didn't say a thing, just hugged her against him.

"So good to see you," he finally said.

"You too. And no sunglasses."

"They'll be on when we leave."

"Shouldn't you sit down?" Kris questioned.

"Probably, but now that you're here, I don't want to let loose of you."

"I need to get my suitcase."

"No problem. Mom has it."

"Mom?" Kristin turned her head to see a smiling lady holding her suitcase.

"Mom, or Madeleine, this is Kristin Murray."

"I'm so pleased to meet you," Kris said. "Wynn talks about you all the time." With him still holding her tightly, she couldn't even shake hands with Madeleine.

"I've been anxious to meet you since I first spoke with you on the phone after Wynn was injured and came back here.." She smiled, looked at Wynn, and then back at Kris. "He's spoken about you often," she said, a very warm look on her face.

"Let's get on home," Wynn said, "before you embarrass me."

Madeleine pushed the wheelchair while Kristin walked along beside, Wynn holding her suitcase on his lap. It was a way to the car, and they stopped and rested a couple of times, Krisin finally insisting on relieving Madeleine on the wheelchair pushing.

They stopped at a light blue Lexus.

"Here we are, but Wynn, you're going to have to hop to the rear door since people are parked on both sides of us." Madeleine turned the chair so that Wynn could stand and drag himself between the two cars.

Kris could see that the passenger side front seat had been removed. Wynn was quickly in, which surprised Kris, and he stretched his leg into the vacant area. He tapped the seat beside him, and Kris went around the car and climbed in behind the driver's seat.

"Tomorrow," he said, "this chunk of concrete comes off, and I'll be a free man again."

"Has it been that bad?" Kristin asked. Wynn had seemed reluctant to talk much about himself during their video chats.

"Like being in prison, although I've never been in prison, but it seemed like what it would be like. I couldn't do anything. Plus, with both my right arm and leg broken, I leaned to one side when I tried to stand from the weight of all that plaster." He laughed.

"You can laugh now, but you were a pain that first two weeks. Thank goodness Kristin finally called. You were almost livable after that."

"I'm looking forward to this week," he said, reaching over to squeeze Kris's hand. "I'll have the cast off, can use crutches pretty well now, and we can go sightseeing."

"Wait, you can't drive, can you?"

"Nope. You'll be doing that," Wynn chuckled.

"This car?" Kris asked warily.

"I'm much more used to Fords," Madeleine said, but this one is easy. You'll love it."

Kristin certainly wasn't looking forward to driving in Los Angeles traffic, but it looked like she might not have a choice. She heard horror stories about it and now had something to worry about.

They talked and laughed all the way to Wynn's house. It was not a house Kris would expect to see in her neighborhood in Ligonier, but neither did it come close to matching pictures she had seen of Hollywood characters' mansions. It was beautiful but homey looking at the same time.

"Your home for the next week," Wynn announced as the car pulled into the three-car garage.

Kris's eyes were focused out the window on her side.

"Is that another Porsche?"

"It's sure not the same one," he said as he poked Kristin in the ribs.

She jerked and squealed.

"Wynn, behave yourself. I'm not going to be here to chaperone you two." Madeleine was eying them in the rearview mirror.

Madeleine's words struck a nerve with Kris. It focused her wandering thoughts to a single point. Would they be needing a chaperone this week? Or would they be happy they didn't have one? Neither of them had overtly expressed anything more than the general affection good friends share. Kris had done an extravagant amount of reading between the lines lately and wondered if any of her interpretations were valid. Perhaps this week would answer some of her questions.

Madeleine had insisted on having an Uber take her to the airport. Once more, Kris wondered if she had purposely chosen this week for her trip to Texas. She was twenty-two and had never had a long-term boyfriend unless three dates could be considered long-term.

"Thank you for coming, Kris. I know you must have a million questions. We can work on those as we move along here. But first, what would you like to see while you're here?"

"Wynn, I didn't come here to sightsee. I came to be with you in person and not on my computer screen. I've never been to the ocean, so I'd like to do that. Otherwise, some quiet and beautiful places where we can just be together."

Kris was almost taken aback by the intense look she received from Wynn.

"Much better than I had planned, and I have a few things I want to share with you. But first, we get this piece of plaster from hell removed. And we'd better hurry.

Two hours later, they were back at the house, Wynn struggling a little with the crutches but raving about how much easier it was without the cast.

"Let me compliment you on your driving. You weren't in horrible traffic, but you didn't seem too nervous," Wynn said, flopping awkwardly into his lounger as he tossed the crutches away. Kristin quickly gathered them up and placed them neatly beside his chair.