The One Less Traveled

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PickFiction
PickFiction
1,435 Followers

Kris had picked out a white lace dress cut low with lace straps that circled her neck. The front fell just below her knees while the back swooped down to her ankles. It was a little non-traditional, but she loved the way it looked on her, as did Wynn when he first saw her coming toward him.

Since it was close to the time for Kris's classes to begin, the honeymoon was a one-week trip to St. Thomas which was nearly perfect in providing them time together away from all distractions.

Wynn had been a little vague with Kristin about his finances, although she knew he seemed to have plenty of money and never hesitated to spend it on anything he deemed suitable...and insisted that she spend without thinking about it.

The week of the wedding, he sat her down and showed her everything about the financial situation that had formerly been his but was now theirs.

"You're curious about our money, particularly since we want to start the dog shelter?"

"Of course I am, Wynn. You have to buy land, build a building and outfit it as well. And advertise."

"Yes, that too. So, how much do think we have now?"

"Well, you told me how much you got paid for the last movie--it was close to five million dollars if I remember right."

He raised his eyebrows and smiled.

"I can barely say it, Wynn, but more than a million dollars?"

"Yep. I bought the house and the Porsche, then put everything I made from the first three movies into investments, actually, Apple stock. About forty thousand shares of it. So, we're good." From the initial wide-eyed look from Kristin, the number seemed to take away her money concerns.

Wynn was able to negotiate with the farmer who owned the land directly behind Sondra's place and purchased three acres that included frontage on their road. A local architect designed the building, and construction began. It was a larger building than Kris had thought they'd need, but Wynn was optimistic and wanted room to expand.

Wynn had purchased the house from Sondra, Kris still being surprised that he seemed so content with the small house. Some repairs had been made, everything was painted, and finally, there were major changes being made in the third bedroom since a nursery would soon be needed.

It wasn't long before the borough found that a movie star had moved there and that he often had meals at the diner since Kris had insisted on still working there part-time. On his "regular" days, the place was full, and Wynn always hung around to talk with the people, several of whom had become good friends.

As had been agreed upon when Kris said she'd marry Wynn, he appeared in two sold-out productions at the St. Vincent summer theater, enjoying doing it tremendously. Kris knew him well, and he was thankful for that too.

It would be cool weather soon, and Wynn and Kris were taking advantage of one of the last warm evenings, sitting on the front porch, Kris in the swing and Wynn rocking little Seneca Kathleen, now nearly two months old

"What's the latest on the building, hon?" she asked, never taking her eyes off her precious daughter.

"One more month, and we can begin using it. The advertising is working. I already have eight dogs waiting for us to open and several people who have volunteered to foster. I think it's going to work out well. I got an inquiry from a young guy who just graduated from vet school, and I think we can work out something with him. With a one-acre fenced field, I think we can board dogs too. I'm thinking of adding a pool so they can swim if they'd like."

"I've never seen you so happy."

She watched him sitting there and rocking the little bundle in his lap.

"Whatcha thinking, babe? You look so content."

"I am. With you and this one, how could I not be content? But I was thinking back awhile, when an upset, angry actor took off in his Porsche, heading for town to get a decent lunch, but saw this little diner along the road and figured that it had to be quintessential rural Pennsylvania and decided to stop and see what the heck."

"Isn't it wonderful, and uncanny as well, how seemingly small choices can change our lives completely?"

"And create a Seneca Kathleen as well."

"Amen," was Kris's simple reply.

"I love Robert Frost, and couldn't help thinking about one of his poems and the closing lines.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

I should have gone to a fancy restaurant, probably in Greensburg, but I didn't. I made the simpler choice, and that has made all the difference."

"My turn to hold her," Kris said, running Wynn out of the rocker and taking the baby. She watched her husband stroll off the porch and around the yard. He stopped in front of the garage, gazing up at the apartment window. She watched him turn slowly and look at her.

"I love you two," he called loudly.

"Thank you for taking the one less traveled and finding me. I love you too."

PickFiction
PickFiction
1,435 Followers