The One Less Traveled

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You don't need to do that, you know."

She smiled. "There's that word again."

"What word?"

"When you were talking to me about coming to California, you said you needed to have me come and take care of you. If you'd have said wanted, I'm not sure what I'd have done."

"Words are important to people who do what I do...or what I used to do."

"What did you just say?"

"Hold that thought; I'll tell you more about it later."

"Wynn?"

"That word, need, that I did indeed choose very carefully. Actually, I didn't have to choose it; It was just my feelings that I put into a single word."

It was Kristin's turn to do some more thinking. That word, and what he'd added to it today, said more than he'd ever spelled out in words. She prayed that her thoughts were correct and that her reactions would be appropriate.

"I think we have things to talk about, Wynn."

"We do, but let's go at it gradually," he suggested, leaning forward in his chair.

The way Kris's heart was pounding and her body was tingling, she wasn't sure she could survive going slowly. This was all so new to her, and she had never experienced feelings like this before. She wasn't sure what Wynn was thinking with regard to that, but she might have to fill him in.

"I'll do my best," she said quietly, hoping those few words could convey how she was feeling.

"You wanted to go to the beach, so let's start with that. We can talk there and enjoy the air, the sun, and the water...and each other," he added; his eyes seeming to draw her toward him, not physically but certainly emotionally.

She took a deep breath. "I brought a bikini," she ventured, sure her cheeks were pink.

Wynn chuckled. "That would be fine if you also brought a sweatshirt and sweatpants. It's warmer here than in Ligonier, but not hot."

"I guess I just assumed that it would be toasty warm in California."

"Plus, the Pacific Ocean is different than the Atlantic. In the middle of summer, lots of people still wear wet suits when they surf."

"I guess I'm learning things."

"I do have sweatpants you can wear, so you can tell your friends back home that you wore your bikini in Cali."

Wynn was reaching for his crutches when Kris decided to rescue him.

"Can you tell me where the sweatpants are so I can get them, and you won't have to hop up the stairs."

"Ah-ha, you just want to go through my drawers," he said, trying to keep a straight face.

Of course, Kristin's face was instantly rosy.

"In the dresser to the right of the bed, in the bottom drawer. There are several pairs, so you can choose your color."

"Thank you," she said, shaking her head as she hurried up the stairs.

She quickly found the sweatpants in the bottom drawer, and since her Saint Vincent sweatshirt was green with gold lettering, she chose a plain gray pair.

Back in her room, she stripped as she'd decided to wear the bikini, no matter what the weather might be. She'd dared herself to take it, and now she was determined to wear it. She checked herself in her bathroom mirror. There was certainly more of Kristin showing in that image than any other time, except when she was showering, perhaps.

As she stood there, her mind was at work, struggling with one of her typical internal debates. She'd brought it to wear...at the beach, not realizing how cool it would be. She slipped on her sandals, tucked the sweatshirt and pants over her arm, and headed downstairs.

Wynn was standing in the middle of the family room, his crutches tucked under his arms.

Kristen stopped at the bottom of the stairs, waiting.

"I've dreamed, hoped, wished, and tried to imagine. But reality is so much better than fantasy." His head was moving slowly from side to side, a look of almost disbelief on his face. "The hidden treasure of Ligonier."

Face bright red, Kris closed her eyes. "I'm no treasure, but it makes me happy that you think so."

"Put on that shirt and pants so I can give you a hug."

The implications of that simple statement had Kris's blood heating. She awkwardly stepped into the sweatpants and pulled the sweatshirt on. When Wynn extended his arms, she went to him.

They hugged tightly for long moments, Wynns's face buried in Kristin's hair. He lifted his head and looked at her.

"How do you do that?"

"How do I do what?" She was definitely puzzled.

"How do you look so beautiful without a spec of makeup."

"I didn't have...I mean, I don't usually use a lot. Wynn, I don't know what to say."

"Lots of times, I'm this close to a beautiful woman, and I can see and smell the makeup she has on. I never liked that, Kris. And here you are with not a spec of makeup, and you're perfect."

Kris closed her eyes.

"And I love it that you blush. They wouldn't do that, for the most part."

"I've never had anyone say things like that to me, so I don't know how to react. I'm kind of a nerd."

"Come on, Kris. I bet your boyfriends said things like that to you."

She looked hard into Wynn's dark eyes. "I never had a real boyfriend."

He turned his head to the side, holding her eyes. "You mean there were two of us like that?"

"No way," Kris quickly replied.

"Let's get to the beach, and we can talk about it all. We'll use the Lexus again, but you're going to drive the Porsche before you leave."

"Wynn, do you want to send both of us to the hospital? I'd think you've had enough of that." Kris couldn't keep from laughing. "I bet it's standard transmission, too."

"Porsche equals standard transmission, right?"

"Guh, I have no idea. What if we get out somewhere, and I screw up? You can't take over."

"I think you're proud and stubborn enough that you'll make it work."

Kris sighed. "You're right, I think. If you can trust me, I can do it."

Kristin helped Wynn to the garage.

"Damn!" he exclaimed. "I forgot about the front seat. Have to get that fixed tomorrow."

"I guess I'm just the chauffeur today."

"I guess for right now, but we'll discuss it more at the beach. Toss a couple of those chairs in the trunk, if you will, please."

Chairs stowed, they were off, Wynn giving directions and complimenting Kris on her driving.

They went to a drive-through and picked up some breakfast.

There was plenty of space in the parking area, and the beach was nearly deserted.

"On cool weekday mornings, not too many people hang out on the beach. Plus, I'm wondering how crossing that soft sand with these crutches is going to go."

"We don't have to go too far to be able to talk."

They made a short trip across the sand, Wynn struggling and Kris carrying the chairs. At least it was a bright and sunny day, and that created a little extra warmth. The chairs were unfolded, and the pair sat down.

Before we leave, I'm going to take off my sandals, pull up these sweatpants, and wade in the ocean."

"Do it," he said.

"Right now?"

When Wynn nodded, she slipped off the sandals, pulled the elastic bands above her knees, and ran across the beach to the water. She waded and splashed before hurrying back to the chairs, a huge smile on her face.

"How was it?"

"Cold, but I did it," she said, reaching for the sandals. "And there's a definite aroma here."

"It's the salt air, and I guess that's totally new to you, right?"

"Absolutely, and the breeze. It's a little cool, but on a hot day, I bet it's great."

"It is that and, no, no. Put those feet in my lap."

"They're sandy, wet, and disgusting."

"Sit down and put them up here, Kris." His expression was telling her he was serious.

She moved her chair, sat down, and lifted her feet onto his lap. He carefully brushed away the sand and began massaging her feet, tucking the one he wasn't working on under his sweatshirt.

Kristin wanted to protest--she knew that her cold foot again Wynn's stomach had to be uncomfortable. But she also knew that he wouldn't listen to her protests, so she was determined to enjoy his ministrations. And she was enjoying it more than she had first imagined she would. His slow massaging had her body responding in ways she certainly had never experienced.

"Wynn, that's fine," she said. "They're warm...and you're all sandy now."

He reluctantly agreed, and she donned the sandals and moved her chair next to his. He took hold of her hand.

"I think you know that you're very special to me."

"That's why I'm here, Wynn."

"At the diner, I decided you were very different from the ladies I was used to. You said things that made me think and evaluate. Then, when I had the accident, you were suddenly gone...and I missed you and had no way of contacting you. When you finally texted, it was one of the happiest days of my life."

"Wynn, I had no idea...except that I missed you too but wasn't sure how far that extended."

"I began to evaluate my time in Ligonier, my time with you, and my time as a movie star. I've made a decision, and you're the major part of it."

Wynn could feel her hand begin to tremble. He squeezed it tightly.

"I'm through with movies."

"Wynn, no!"

"I grew up living simply, without a lot of money and things, and I want to live simply again."

"I don't know how you grew up, but you're a successful actor now. And you want to give that up?"

"Not just want, but it's already done. I've notified my agent, and there'll be no more movies for me."

"Wynn, this has been your life. I mean..."

"Maybe I just want to live quietly, simply, like in Ligonier, Pennsylvania."

Kris was talking so fast and trying to reply to Wynn so fast that the full impact of his words was escaping her.

"Ligonier is a boring place, Wynn, not like Hollywood or California."

"But it's peaceful and beautiful and green, and it has summer and winter, and snow, and it's a perfect place to live and, you know..."

"No, I don't know, and I can't imagine you there."

Wynn was quiet for a moment.

"Kristin Murray, are you trying to talk me out of falling in love with you?"

She heard that for sure, eyes wide and staring at Wynn, her mouth partway open as his words raced around in her brain.

"Falling,,,in...love...with...with me?" Is that what you said?"

"Yes, that's what I said, and I'm hoping you can find some way to fall in love with me along the way."

Love was not a word that inhabited her vocabulary, at least not the kind of love that Wynn was talking about. Could she fall in love with Wynn? Had she already fallen in love with him?

"That's a big word, Wynn."

"Even bigger than need?"

Way bigger than need, for sure. But were they related? Kris looked around. She was on a beach in California with a guy she'd only met personally a very few times. That was so far out of character for a semi-shy lady from Ligonier that there had to be something more behind it. Had she been falling in love with him all this time?

"Yes, Wynn. So much bigger."

She watched as he struggled to stand and moved to help him.

"No, no. I'm doing this myself, but when I'm up, I NEED you in my arms because I'm in LOVE with you." Finally up, gimpy leg and all, his arms were extended toward her again, the look on his face nearly melting her heart.

She stepped into the most inviting, warm, and fulfilling hug of her young life. Kris didn't know how long it lasted, just that she had never been happier in spite of the many questions that still lingered. There'd be answers later, she was sure.

Wynn released her, but his hands were quickly on her her cheeks.

"Beautiful lady, will you trust me?"

If she was falling in love with him or loved him already, she was trusting him.

"I have no choice," she said softly. "My body, my brain, and mostly my heart won't allow anything different."

When their lips met with the sand beneath their feet, the salt air surrounding them, and the sound of gently breaking waves in the distance, it was like a scene from a movie, and Kris was kissing a movie star.

The sounds she made were the expression of the sheer ecstasy that was filling her, overwhelming everything about her.

As they both felt they were on the edge of heaven, a loud voice yelled, "Hey, you two. Get a room!"

They slowly parted.

"Let's head back to the house. We have things to talk about."

Kris was ready to get back to the house but wasn't sure that talking would be the main attraction. All of these feelings were new to her, and she was anxious to explore them...all of them.

They gathered up their things, including the uneaten breakfast, and headed for the car. Kris decided that Wynn had done a quick job of mastering the crutches, and she could barely keep up with him. The breakfast was deposited in a convenient trashcan, and they were headed to his house.

On the ride back, Wynn held her hand tightly, and when he began to kiss it...

"Wynn, I can barely concentrate on driving, and with you doing that, I'm not sure of anything."

"You're doing fine, and it's only about five more miles. I'm enjoying this," he said, and she felt his tongue caressing her palm.

"Wynn, I'm serious. I can barely breathe, let alone drive."

He gave her hand one last kiss. "Yes, ma'am. We have plenty of time."

Kris was still confused, or at least not thinking quite straight. They had time--she was here for the entire week. But, if they were in love, that was just theh beginning. He'd said he might like to live in Ligonier. That was...home for her. Together in Ligonier? The country girl and the movie star?

She wasn't really being fair to herself since she wasn't really a country girl. Ligonier was actually a borough, but she wasn't sure exactly what that meant or why that was different from a town or city. They'd studied it in junior high school, but she'd totally forgotten about it if she ever actually knew it. She knew that the population was somewhere between one and two thousand, probably about halfway between, so it wasn't a very big place.

"Slow down, here's your turn," Wynn said loudly.

"I think your mind is probably wandering, too," she said as she made a wide turn. Only two more blocks, she remembered.

"Not exactly wandering," he said. "More like drifting off to wonderful places with a fantastic lady and..." He paused.

Kristin might be a virgin, but she could still recognize the expression on Wynn's face and the look she was getting. The pause only emphasized all of that.

"Wynn, you'll have to be patient with me--this is all so new."

"That goes double for me," he countered. "I've never been around someone you before, and I'm not at all sure what I'm doing...or should do...or shouldn't do."

"You mean there's no script, so you'll have to ad-lib?"

"I was always pretty good at that, but suddenly I'm at a loss."

Wynn pushed the button to raise the door, and she pulled into the garage.

Quickly out of the car and into the family room, the hugging and kissing were much less restrained than on the beach. Groans and tongues were prominent until Wynn unexpectedly pulled away.

"Wynn?" Kristen gasped, panting as they separated.

"Kris, let's sit down before something happens that we both might be sorry for."

"I won't be sorry about anything."

"It's all happened so fast, and no matter what you were expecting, more has happened than you'd imagined. Right?"

"Much more, and it's all wonderful," she added, wondering where Wynn was headed.

"I don't know if you have plans for your life other than being a nurse, but once you agreed to come to California, I couldn't stop my mind from going to work."

Kris's breathing had returned to nearly normal as she sat down, now anxious to listen to Wynn's thoughts as she was sure they involved her.

"First things first. You've said you live with your mother. How does that work?"

"It works well. I have a cozy apartment over the garage."

"Double bed?"

"Twin." Just as she had settled down, her heart was beginning to pound once again.

"Room for a double or another twin?"

She had come to California because Wynn needed her and was now trying to process him moving in with her. She felt she had been caught up in a tornado and was spinning around, the earth below her changing by the second.

"We'll work it out," she said.

A broad smile appeared on Wynn's face. "Then you're agreeing?"

"I'm looking forward to it."

"And your mother?"

Wynn was being a little too clinically thorough for the way she was feeling. She hadn't thought about her mother but suspected that she and Jimmy were doing more than watching The Andy Griffith Show when she went to his place.

"She'll love you and be happy for us."

Wynn seemed to accept that.

"But what will you do? I mean, I'll finish my nursing, but..."

"Come here and sit on my lap, gorgeous."

"I don't want to hurt your leg."

I

But she sat, and he hugged her.

"Your concern for what I'll do in Pennsylvania is precious, and that's what makes you so loveable. But, I was paid nearly five million dollars for my last picture, and I've made seven movies."

It was something she knew but had never conceptualized. The single number he had mentioned was penetrating her humble origins, and she began to understand.

"You have plenty of money, then?"

"Probably more than plenty."

He squeezed her as he kissed her cheek, and she returned the kiss, but not on his cheek.

"We'll... get...a...place...in...the...Laurels," he said, each word interrupted by her lips and her tongue.

"That's then, and this is now," she whispered, fiddling with the neck of his sweatshirt. She pulled the neck out and blew down across his chest. She watched his eyes slowly close.

"Do you know what you're doing, Kris?"

"No, but I hope you like it." She kissed him as she slid her hand under the shirt and began rubbing his chest. "Umm, a little hair there," she murmured as a finger began massaging his nipple.

"What if I did that to you," he whispered, sliding his hand under her shirt."

"I don't know how I'd react. No one's ever done it before."

"You little minx, are you fibbing to me?" Wynn couldn't comprehend that a very pretty twenty-two-year-old had never been touched.

She giggled. "You'd be the first to explore, but you haven't begun yet."

His hand began to move, sliding gently over the soft but warm skin of her belly. She inhaled sharply but gave no sign of resistance. In fact, the sounds he was hearing seemed to be begging for him to continue.

When he touched the material of her bikini top, he paused, inherently timid about going too far too fast.

"Did you like how I looked in the bikini?" she said as she kissed his ear.

"You looked perfect."

She leaned forward and pulled the shirt off, tossing it onto a chair.

She was staring into his eyes, her lower lip between her teeth, clearly debating.

"I can't reach it," she said, "but you can."

It took him just a moment to understand what she was encouraging him to do.

"Just pretend you're in a movie, and the script is telling you to do it, and your costar can hardly wait."

Wynn needed no more encouragement and deftly unfastened the bikini top. It tumbled away to the floor. First, a look. Then, if Kris wanted him to explore, he was more than willing to accommodate her.

Her skin was pale, smooth, and inviting. Once more, his hand moved slowly across her belly and, in seconds, bumped the underside of one breast. It didn't stay there long, quickly sliding over the gentle curve and stopping at a now erect nipple. As his fingers closed on it, Kris buried her face against his neck, kissing and nibbling his sensitive skin.

Handicapped by their position, one of Wynn's hands was behind Kris's back while the other was free to fondle her breasts.

Kris raised her head. "Can you get upstairs without your crutches?"

"Damn straight," he said. "If you lead, nothing will stop me from following."

She stood, kicked off her sandals, and then stepped out of the sweatpants and stood in front of Wynn. Despite never having done anything like this previously, it seemed so right today. She watched his eyes devour her everywhere, from her bare feet to her dark and tousled hair. Turning her back to Wynn, she slid the bikini bottoms down her legs and tossed them away. He watched her undulating buns as she crossed the room to the stairs, finally disappearing from sight at the top.