The Outsider Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Pria played with her phone as Mee drove home. "Well, what does it say?"

"I'll tell you later, right now I need to call Miss Kathy."

"Hello Pria, what a pleasant surprise. How can I help you?

"You did what? Pictures from their France trip. No way. You want what? OK, let me write this down. OK got it. Yes, I think it is good for you to search what God wants you to do, and names mean a lot to Him."

"Marie Ann, I am calling to find out about your friends. You know, what they do in school, hobbies, what they are good at, anything along those lines. She did what? She told me she got the pictures, but not what she did to get them; she seems such an introvert. Wow, that is fantastic! I am so glad to hear it. Not again, she will get it. You need to post her next meet. B and I would love to see her perform. Thanks for the information."

"IF I was an eavesdropper and didn't know you were talking about two people that phone call would drive me crazy."

"Only if you were a terrible one, I did say 'friends' at the beginning of the call."

"Touché."

"Dearest, we still have a significant inventory left of Miss Daisy's and Miss Molly's things."

"Too much, didn't we help them pare things down before Molly moved in?"

"Pria called, she won pictures of Miss Molly, Miss Daisy, and Miss Francine when they went to France when they were teenagers. She gave me a list of what both wanted. They looked up the meaning of their names to see why God named him that. Here is the list, but look up the meanings of their names first, starting with Mee."

"You got to be joking. Mee's name actually means Beauty, and Pria's name means friend of horses, as in, Miss Daisy's first friend ever was a horse named Angel?"

"Yes dear, technically, they still have many picks left. They ride horses; no one took their saddles and tack did they? It may be old, but they aren't any cracks, and it's very supple."

"I think I saw some pictures Miss Sarah took of Miss Daisy feeding Angel and brushing her down that first day."

"Do you have any pictures of Molly around age five or six? It would round out their age groups. We can divide everything into Miss Daisy for Pria, Miss Molly for Mee and add some Beauty and Apache photos.

The surplus was so vast, Pria and Mee received more picks than the others. B and Miss Kathy knew that Miss Marie's will would piggy-back off of Miss Daisy's and Miss Molly's will. They saved items Marie Ann might want after Marie passed.

The day the crates came everyone was trying to guess what might be inside. After dinner would be the big reveal, they were not dissimilar to what Beth and Marie Ann received. Many of the guests crowded around to see the expressions on the teenager's faces.

Marie said, "I am told that both of you should alternate removal of items, starting with Pria."

"Girls, I would open each item with kid gloves if I were you. You will regret if you tear something."

Once the box was open, Pria picked up a well-packaged small box that sat on top. Marie was recording and also streaming the event back to St. Vincent's.

At first, Pria had a quizzical look on her face; then she remembered seeing a picture of the object in the scrapbooks. "ANGEL!"

Mee pulled out an envelope full of pictures of Miss Molly, Beauty, and Apache.

"Mee, your name means 'Beauty,' it looks like they are giving me Miss Daisy's possessions, and Miss Molly's belongings to you."

Pria needed help getting the next item out. Pria let out an audible gasp as she reached for the label on the article, it read Angel. "Look at the workmanship on this, it is exquisite."

"Hold on, let me show the kids."

It was anti-climatic when Mee pulled out Spirit's saddle. It was in better shape than Angel's, even after seventy years of use.

The pair continued to remove items; each had two crates. B had numbered each box. The last thing in the second box for Pria was an envelope; it contained blow-ups of the pictures which Miss Sarah took the day Daisy met Angel. They each showed Daisy doing different things, scooping the feed, pouring the water, and brushing Angel down. There was also a shot of Daisy standing with Angel.

The kids were excited about most of the items in the boxes, but when the pictures of Angel appeared on the screen, it was clear, Angel had stolen their hearts.

Marie called, "Marie Ann, Tommy, can I see you in my bedroom?"

After the group gathered, Marie continued, "Marie Ann, let me start with Louis. As you know, he will pass away soon, as will I. I believe one of my last duties God wanted me to do is to give the Eulogies for Miss Daisy and Miss Molly. I also want to provide you with this cross, Marie Ann; it was the first I received after I became a Christian.

"Miss Daisy and Miss Molly were of the view that you would be a good match for each other. Tommy, you are here attesting to how far you will go to be with Marie Ann, and that Marie Ann wanted you to fly here so that you could comfort her during this time. Both looked at each other. It was not their intention to do so on either side, but none the less, Tommy was here in Paris to be with Marie Ann.

"Louis and I have drastically changed our wills. We saved for your education, Marie Ann, but Miss Daisy and Miss Molly beat us to it. You have a God-given gift, Marie Ann. As you know, Miss Daisy and Miss Molly want you to pursue the Arts so that you can bring more people into the Kingdom."

"Because of this restructuring of our wills, Marie Ann, don't expect anything from Louis, save for a few items. Most of the legacies we planned to give to the others will happen then."

"Tommy, you should take a double major in hospitality and business. When I die, I have some legacies to give out, but the bulk of my will you both will inherit, including the Inn and the house. The business major should let you know what is going on in this business. You will have hands-on training. Fredrick's has been in the family for generations; it is part of the appeal. Now we have a new generation to be caretakers for it. It will give your family a head start in life, but it is hard work. We will provide you with names for quality people in their fields."

"Tommy will live and work out of the Inn until you marry. Marie Ann, I hope you don't mind having the little ones live at the house. I know this is a lot to take in, and that it sounds like we are programming your life. That is the nature of wills, to prepare for the future as best as possible. You will be adults, and you can make your own decisions in your life. Whatever those decisions may be, I hope for the best for you, and I do hope you will marry and be happy."

Tommy would be two years behind the others as he had a new language to conquer first. Fredrick's would intern Pria, Mee, and Tommy. All would take double majors. Pria would take sales and marketing and accounting; Mee, like Tommy, would take hospitality and business. The thinking was not only will it take Tommy two more years to finish schooling, but he will often be called away on other business.

Marie Ann would put her focus on IT to support marketing, and with children. The Norte Dame project showed she could relate to them and she could re-enforce Fredrick's family-friendly reputation. Christmastime would have top-secret projects; what kids don't want to give their parents homemade presents.

Beth was included in the girl's prayer candle time; although, her candle had to be battery-powered due to the hazards a medical ward presents. Beth's downtime coincided with Marie Ann's after dinner time. They always talked at length. There were times when Beth was not feeling well or asleep.

Marie Ann also made surprise big screen calls for the whole ward on occasion. Everyone looked forward to those times.

One of the items in the secret suitcase that Tommy received at the reading of the will, kept nagging on him. The more he tried not to think about it, the more he thought about it. Miss Daisy saved this item over the years, not because it was a masterpiece, but for sentimental reasons. It was her friendship bracelet that Molly had given her. Shortly before Miss Anne purchased Chief, Miss Anne was reading a lot about the southwest American Indians and the horses they rode.

Daisy's ninth birthday was fast approaching; Molly noticed all the beaded jewelry that they made. She thought she could make a small colorful bracelet. Daisy was getting present after present, but none was forthcoming from Molly. Daisy walked away from the table in tears until Molly called her back with a rattle of a small box wrapped in gold paper. It was Molly's first and only try at bead-making.

Miss Daisy suggested to Tommy to customize a friendship bracelet for Marie Ann at the junior prom.

"Prom, right, things didn't work out in the States. Now I am behind where I was because I need to learn French before taking classes. Maybe I can get some advice from Mee."

"Tommy, you have to make one; customize it with things of France and she will love it. I will be your wrist model if you need one." It was not hard to think of what to put on it. The French Tri-color and three golden Fleur-de-lis. The design flaw he has was that he wanted the Fleur-de-lis beads to be slightly larger than the tri-color beads. He had to work with tiny and very tiny beads so you could see the three-dimensional effect, yet still, have it lie flat on the wrist.

Marie Ann's birthday was at the beginning of December, and it would be an excellent time to give it to her.

Tommy wanted everything perfect. If the bracelet didn't lay right, Tommy would rip it apart, and start over until it did. This time-consuming project created the illusion that Tommy was spending an inordinate amount of time with Mee.

Marie Ann took exception to this. There was a huge row; Marie Ann accused Tommy of cheating on her with Mee. Tommy was dumped; things were said that could never be forgotten. Tommy ripped the half-done bracelet in half. Mee found the beads in the bin; she hurriedly gathered the beads and left the room. The relationship, like the beads, was only being held together by a frayed thread.

Mee was pissed. She grabbed Pria and went up to Marie Ann's room where they found her blubbering on her bed.

"He was cheating on me, Mee."

"YOU THOUGHTLESS, SELF-CENTERED, PARANOID, JEALOUS COW! Of course he was not cheating on you. You are his world. Because of you, he dropped all his friends and his entire life. All you had to do was ask, and he was willing to travel halfway around the world to be with you, to a land he doesn't even speak the language. Don't you see, Miss Daisy and Miss Molly got it right, he is your soulmate, and you have ruined everything!"

"Our three families have been through thick and thin since before your great-great-grand ma-ma Marie was born. I don't know how, why, or when the alliance was formed, but it is a strong one. I would never betray that trust. I pledge to you I have no romantic intentions for Tommy, nor he with me. He had asked me for some help, and I agreed; however, I have since found evidence of its destruction. I don't believe you have earned the right to know what it was."

Pria was in shock. She had never seen someone get slammed so hard as she witnessed Mee slam Marie Ann. The chilling part is that it was well deserved. Marie Ann needed a wake-up call. Mee turned on her heel then stormed out of the room shaking her head.

"Pria what have I done?"

"If you don't know, you best figure it out. Jets fly both ways; if you are not in Tommy's world, what reason does he have to stay? Time is short; you should be talking to only one person."

Tommy had to think. Being short on cash, he borrowed a bicycle and headed to the Paris Riverwalk on the Seine, on the far side of Paris, best of all, no one would look for him there.

Marie was frantic; she went from one hangout to the next. Marie Ann was teaching him French by ordering treats. If he screwed up Marie Ann would order, and he would reorder, however, he had to forfeit his treat to whoever is at reception at the Inn.

"Marie Ann did I hear you ask about M? How do you say, Toomeie?"

"Yes, you saw him. Where is he?"

"No, I have not seen him, but I believe my brother lent him his bicycle. He was headed into the city."

"THE CITY! He could be anywhere, even in hospitals or worse." Marie Ann started to hyperventilate. "Grab her; she is going down."

Pria rushed into the room. "Thank God I found you, Marie Ann. M Louis's time is neigh, we have to go!"

"Pria, I need my Tommy! I NEED my Tommy!""

"What did you say? It is about time you woke up."

There was no other sound in the shop; even the workers stopped what they were doing. It was rather odd and counterintuitive. You never heard Louis being talked about in glowing terms. The reason was rather simple; like their predecessors, Marie and Louis didn't need others to boost their reputation. They were who they were, and they acted as such.

As the barman got off the telephone, he looked rather pleased with himself.

"What did you do now."

"I pulled a couple of strings, and every cabbie in Paris is searching for him. He is probably is some park or the Riverwalk. The Riverwalk, best thinking spot in Paris save the church."

He was on the phone immediately, "Search the Riverwalk! What? I don't give a damn if you have to get out of the car, he got dumped by Marie Ann. He only knows Paris by what he has seen at the movies. Pictures like An American in Paris and Singing in the Rain come to mind. He has no money so that he won't be in a café."

There were so many cabbies sitting idle the police were called in. A young constable asked a cabbie what the meaning was of this. "We are looking for M. Tommy. M. Louis's time is soon, and he has to be there for Marie Ann. You know how fond she is of M. Louis."

It did not take long to find a forlorn American walking a white bike on a promenade that is mostly filled with happy people.

It didn't take long for the police to catch up to the cabbie. None other than the Prefet de Police stepped out of the car and approached the cabbie. "You will follow us at speed; it is most urgent we get to the hospital."

"Wow, did you see all those ribbons on his chest? He was not your average policeman."

"No, he is what you would call the supervisor to the chief of police."

All the timers on the lights were turned off; they would turn green a half a block before the escort arrived and then turned red until the convoy arrived at the hospital.

Louis was in bad shape as Tommy arrived. "Please, can everyone leave except Tommy and Marie Ann. Tommy, you have my blessing to marry Marie Ann, but after you graduate. Fredrick died suddenly, so Marie and I were unprepared. It took some time to find our team. You ask why the older generations did not receive the business, a fair question. Fredrick was my Dad's; you will soon be adults; your schooling will make you prepared for the transition."

"I hear you had your first lover's spats. Let's hope you are together long enough to have many more."

"Tommy don't go home. I need you here. I have been such a fool. If you go home, I will regret it for my entire life."

"Sir, I appreciate your confidence in me, but unfounded accusations were made. It is a lot to process; we may say we will never do it again, but history repeats itself typically. I will have to figure out how I am going to act when one of Marie Ann's unbecoming traits raises its ugly head."

"Fair enough, going into marriage with misgivings is a recipe for disaster. Since, you can't start school here, or the US for awhile, get a job at Fredrick's. You will get some money, get to know some people, and learn French.

Tommy left the room, and sent Marie in. Marie's priest gave Louis the last rights, and Louis closed his eyes for the last time. Marie phoned her Abby, just one ring. The Priest's wife climbed the stairs of the Carillon. She had only participated in the ceremony a few times since she was a child. Fredrick died so fast they were unable to perform the ceremony. She grabbed the massive rope of the tenor bell, slowly rang it three times. Over the land, there was an eerie echo. No words were spoken, no explanation needed, Louis had passed. Marie Ann didn't know what to do, then she remembered something that Miss Molly had told her when she became a Christian. She grabbed Marie's hand, and didn't let go, the nod of recognition transcended the generations.

Marie was now over one-hundred-years old. She had lived longer than most of her ancestors. Without Louis by her side she was lost. She grabbed a pair of binoculars and went down to Notre Dame. The priest agreed to open the doors wide so she should peer into her beloved Church. She knew that soon the soul-bell would ring twice for her. All of Paris was mourning the passing of Louis, and they were bracing themselves to mourn for Marie. Both had been such a stabilizing, ever present, and vital factor to the community.

Marie prayed at her Abby for some time; her priest gave her a special communion and anointed her with oil. She talked to every member of her family, spending extra time with the little ones, so each person had a special memory of her. She was grateful God gave her health so she could do this, and not be a decrepit shell of a person; she couldn't bear that thought. Marie Ann was her last visit. Marie was holding a book. "Marie Ann, this is my last prayer log. I would like you to read it when you feel you are up to it." The pair talked, cried, hugged, but through it all, Marie Ann held on tight.

Marie went to her bedroom and removed the votive candle and lit the main prayer candle. She lay in bed. When the candle burned through, the flame was extinguished, a bell tolled two times, and then there was silence.

12