The Phoenix and the Ice Queen Pt. 02

Story Info
Brandon and Mel take a gamble on love.
19.6k words
4.75
7.8k
13

Part 2 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/19/2023
Created 06/11/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Part 2

Author's Note: Thanks for all the great feedback on Part 1, I only hope this lives up to expectations.

Chapter 1

"Dearly Beloved, we are gathered together here in the sign of God - and in the face of this company - to join together this man and this woman in holy matrimony." The priest at the front of the church began, Brandon tuned out the rest of the familiar opening as he looked around the church still trying to find people he knew at this wedding, and unfortunately, he was not really finding anyone.

Given the groom was a former member of his development team, he expected at least a few other coworkers, or former coworkers to be in attendance. Thus far the people he knew were limited to the huge wedding party up at the front of the church, which did not bode well for him come the cocktail hour and reception. Still, he was glad to be invited, and when he accepted he at least figured he was bringing his steady girlfriend of a couple of months. The events of the past week had quickly turned her into his ex and left him not only going alone to the wedding but deciding what to do with the trip to Puerto Rico they had scheduled the next week, as well.

"One thing at a time," he thought to himself, "get through today, then worry about the trip."

Today was not looking great so far, so he gave up looking around the church, and focused instead on the ceremony, which he could tell was fortunately the short version compared to many he had been to.

As he looked at the couple at the front he had to smile, remembering how they had met. Long before Pete, the groom, had come to work on Brandon's team at Proud Stone he had been a struggling programmer that happened to be in the right coffee shop when a certain new Proud Stone employee had been sent home crying by Mel. Molly, the bride, after being fired by Mel went to console herself with her favorite coffee, and ended up meeting her future husband. Once Mel apologized and Molly was rehired, she had seen the opening for Brandon's team and suggested Pete apply the rest was history. Both had since left Proud Stone, but Brandon kept in touch with Pete.

He still had to marvel that Mel was the reason the happy couple had met, thinking of this, he quickly scanned the bride's side and sure enough there was Mel. He had forgotten that she had become somewhat close friends with Molly, once she had moved to Chicago. Apparently, one lunch date to thank her for Pete had turned into a frequent occurrence, and eventually, a friend for Mel.

Brandon was surprised to not have recognized her in his first sweep of the crowd, but then again, he did not see as much of Mel as he used to. Ever since she had gotten the hang of running the Quality Control department on her own, they had little reason to see each other. Other than the occasional question or lunch meeting, which oddly enough picked up in recent months after he had started dating his now ex-girlfriend.

Brandon turned his attention back to the ceremony for the remainder, it was a very lovely one, but as Brandon expected, fairly quick. After words, everyone began making their way to the reception for the cocktail hour.

After getting himself a drink, he was about to look for Mel when a voice behind him said, "There you are," Brandon turned to find Mel standing behind him, glass of wine in hand. Brandon also got a better look at her than he had in the church, and he was shocked, Mel was wearing a dress. That alone would have been shocking enough, but he had never seen her wear something like this in the three years he had known her, not even for one of her dates with a big shot. It was a strapless dark blue dress that clung to her body so tight Brandon could see every impressive curve of her body, and the hem was just above the knee giving a great view of her toned legs. Brandon was positively floored as he tried to keep from staring too much. Mel seemed to have noticed, but did not comment. In fact, he swore he saw her smile, as she too looked him over and after looking around asked, "so where's the sucker?"

Brandon did his best to suppress a smile at Mel's nickname for his new ex, "For the last time Mel, her name is Candice." Then, after a pause realizing he didn't want to get into the truth with her this early in the evening added, "and something came up, so she can't make it tonight."

Mel smiled, "Oh come on Brandon, be as high minded as you like, the sucker's preferred name is Candi, and you know it. Not my fault my nickname is just simply more accurate."

Brandon was suddenly reminded that of the parties in his former relationship the term 'sucker' applied way more to him than his ex, given the circumstances. "Fine, whatever, she's not here, ok? Can we talk about something else?"

Mel grinned but said, "Sure, how about the meeting yesterday?"

Brandon was grateful of the change of subject, and truthfully, they did need to discuss what Fred had told them the day before. He had called them into his office to discuss their future and what they intended to do with their little private endeavor going forth. Mel had successfully completed a revamping of Quality Control, with Brandon's help, and Brandon was nearing the completion of the Network Security overhaul that he had been tasked with.

"Fact is you two have met the introductory requirement of your agreement with distinction, and Proud Stone would like to see you succeed, especially given your little company. Mr. King is in favor of helping you, he's just wondering how he can help. Obviously holding to our original terms and allowing Brandon's team to shift focus to more specialized Phoenix owned projects is a big step, but this meeting is more for your career Mel. Running a software firm can be like any other business, but it will require specialized knowledge I, for one, would like to help you get it, as would Mr. King." Then after a pause Mel went to answer and Fred stopped her, "No need to answer us now, take some time discuss it, discuss it with your partners see if there are any additional conditions you have, figure out what you really want out of Phoenix and get back to us."

So, they were, and after much back and forth, they both agreed that taking Phoenix on its own was something they both wanted. Though, they would certainly have to talk it over further with Clay and Amber to get their thoughts. As the discussion finished they went to find their table assignments and saw they were assigned to different tables.

Mel sighed, "I bet I'm with the partners of the wedding party, this is going to be fun."

Brandon chuckled, "Yeah well, they figured I'd be here with Candice, so I'm probably at a table of happy couples explaining an empty chair."

"At least your table won't constantly be being visited by members of the wedding party, I hate being the only single at a table I know no one at."

Brandon smiled, "Well, I know one table with an open chair that at least you'll know somebody at."

"You mean take the suckers spot, and play your date for the evening?"

"Maybe, you don't have to play my date of course, but see if you hate your table. If you do, you can always sit with me."

"I might just do that, thanks. God knows I'd rather sit with you than a bunch of idiots I don't know."

The hall opened and after a while they went to their respective tables. As Brandon expected, his was full of couples, most of which knew each other, and barely noticed him join them. He was just settling in for a very long meal dreading the questions about the empty chair, when a glass of wine was set down in the empty place next to him, and Mel's place card with the table number changed.

Mel herself sat down saying, "Yep, total lame fest over there, I didn't even sit down. I just went straight for the place card table made some corrections and came over here, if anyone checks the sucker will be missing from that table not me."

Brandon smiled, "Good work Mel, though you didn't have to do that, you could've just sat here. You being friends with the bride and all, I'm sure she'd have understood."

Mel just shrugged, "She's a little busy tonight, though she did make me promise I'd wait around for her to talk to her. Given the amount of people here, it will take a while, so looks like I'm here most of the evening."

"So, really, where is the sucker tonight? What was so important that she couldn't come?"

Brandon, in a complete lapse of judgement, brought on by frustration and the few drinks he had had, said without thinking, "We broke up if you must know. I'd say that's a valid reason for her to not be here, wouldn't you?"

Mel looked shocked and grabbed his hand, "Seriously? Wow, Brandon, I'm sorry."

Brandon smiled, "No you're not, but thanks anyways, I appreciate the sentiment."

"No, really, that sucks. I tease, but she seemed to make you happy, so that sucks." Then after a pause as if she could simply not help asking, "Who dumped who?"

"I ended it."

"Good for you, I never liked her much." She said shaking her head, "Well now I'm really glad I came over here, you should definitely not be spending tonight alone. We can keep each other company, it'll be great." Then after a beat, "Wait, what about the trip you guys had planned next week?"

"I'm probably still going. Its non-refundable, and she was right about one thing, I do seriously need a break from things."

"Alone? Isn't that a bit depressing?"

"Maybe, but I have my reasons."

"You should take some random hottie you meet on that dating site, what girl is going to say no to a week in the Caribbean this time of year? Then you get to see some hot girl in a swimsuit, its win win."

"Except the whole broken heart thing that makes me kind of jaded towards women at the moment."

"Well you're talking to me, aren't you? I'm a woman. Think about it Brandon, I'd hate you to be all alone for a week. I know how you get after a break up, and it's not pretty."

"Ok Mel, thanks, I'll think about it. Not big on taking a trip with someone random though, but I'll give it thought."

Mel fortunately dropped the whole conversation, and a little later they started serving dinner. It turned out the rest of the table was not so bad, and before they knew it the tables were cleared and dancing had begun.

Brandon was never big on dancing and he was pretty sure Mel hated doing anything fun, plus since she had been steadily putting away wine glass by glass all night, he did not think she was super able to dance, even if she wanted to. So, they both continued to sit at the table waiting for Molly to come by when she was able, so Mel could leave. Unfortunately, Molly was the bride, and thus the center of the party, so that was unlikely to be soon.

They proceeded to catch up finding out what had been going on in their lives over the past few months. Mel filled any silences with a jab at Candice, which Brandon appreciated, though he was amazed at the venom Mel had in her words toward the other woman.

"I miss this," Mel said after a pause, "I miss talking to you, you know that? You made a fun companion on the road, because we could always talk like this." She paused looking ready to add on that, but before she could, out of nowhere a woman in a dazzling white gown sat down next to her looking deliriously happy, but exhausted.

"Mel, there you are! I've been looking all over for you," Molly said. "God, my feet are killing me, one tip Mel, if you ever get married, do not wear heels to the reception, HUGE mistake." Brandon was about to get up to leave the ladies to talk, when Pete arrived, and sat next to him.

"Hey boss, glad you could make it," Pete said with a smile.

"Not your boss anymore Pete, but good to see you. Congrats by the way, I'm happy for both of you."

"And we're happy for you too, it's about time, right Pete?" Molly said from the other side of Mel. Pete nodded, and realizing what they were saying Brandon opened his mouth, but Mel beat him to it.

"Us? Oh god no, I'm just over here keeping him company since he got dumped yesterday." She paused and let the happy couple express their regrets of this to Brandon. "Yeah, so anyway, no love connection here, though we're glad to have played a part in your little story. Who knew that something good could come out of my mother's nagging, even if it's someone else's daughter walking down the aisle."

Before Mel could ramble on, a song started, and several bridesmaids came over to drag Molly back to the dance floor, one even pulled Mel too. The ladies, in turn, insisted Brandon and Pete come too, and before Brandon knew it, he was out dancing in a large group just trying not to make an idiot of himself. He was just starting to get into a rhythm when, all of a sudden, the music slowed and people began exiting the floor. Brandon was stuck in the middle of the crowd, and as he tried to extricate himself, he saw Mel get jostled a bit and in her clearly intoxicated state she began to tumble to the floor.

Brandon lunged forward and managed to catch her and pull her to him. He only meant to steady her, but realized she was holding on to him, and not letting go. What's more he swore she was swaying to the music. She was trying to dance with him. It felt right to him, so he moved his hands to hold her more like a dance partner and less a rescue victim, and simply lost himself in the music and the feel of her against him.

He found to his surprise he was enjoying this and began to realize that this had been one of the more enjoyable weddings he had ever been to. Despite just having broken up with Candice and knowing no one, Mel had made this night memorable in her own infuriating Mel Murphy way of doing things. He began to wonder if Molly and Pete had been right, if Mel was really who he had been long searching for.

However, as the song ended and they broke apart in uncomfortable silence. he realized it was crazy, she was Mel, the Ice Queen. She could never be what he was looking for. She despised the thing he was looking for.

Mel rushed off the floor, and by the time Brandon found her again, she was at the bar arguing with a bartender. Someone else thought Mel had had a few too many as well. Surprisingly quickly, a security person was involved, and before Brandon knew it he had volunteered to take Mel home. After a quick goodbye to the bride and groom, Mel and Brandon left, Brandon driving his intoxicated friend home as she jabbed at him for immediately volunteering to be the 'white knight.'

He ignored it, knowing she was just mad they kicked her out and, as usual, she was taking it out on a friend. In truth, Brandon didn't mind, he even braved the insults because the safety of his friend mattered more than his ego at the moment. Besides, he had had an idea while dancing with her, it was crazy and ludicrous, but also so perfect he was surprised it had not come to him sooner.

When they reached Mel's, he parked the car, wanting to make sure she got inside ok. He helped her out of his car and toward the door.

"You don't have to do this you know," she slurred at him, "I'm fine. I can handle myself. I don't need to be babied like one of those weak future-stay-at home-mom types like the sucker."

Brandon found this outburst ironic as she was visibly leaning on him, and he had to find her keys in her purse to unlock the door.

"Wanting a family and wanting to take care of that family does not make someone weak Mel, it just means they have a different view of a successful life."

"Bull, it makes them weak willed women willing to do what the patriarchy demands of them. Slaves to their gender."

Brandon was a little impressed Mel could bust out the word 'patriarchy' when this drunk, but he figured at least some of that crap was from Andi. Not that he did not think Mel believed it, he just did not think Mel was that radically feminist. He reminded himself he was, in fact, arguing with a very drunk person and let the matter drop.

She did not, however, let it go. Brandon got her upstairs into her apartment and waited for her to get changed for bed, determined to see her safely to bed before he left. To his amazement at no point did Mel stop him helping her, she even asked for his help unzipping her dress.

This fact buoyed his confidence to ask the question he wanted to ask her, he now knew who he wanted to come on his trip with him was, and it was the woman in the next room.

As he was figuring out how to ask, Mel came out brushing her teeth wearing just a long nightshirt, he didn't see any sign of her usual sleep shorts, so he figured she had forgotten to put on bottoms.

"You're still here Brandon?" she said rolling her eyes. "I'm fine, really, I appreciate the help, but this white Knight thing is starting to get creepy, I'm a big girl. I can get myself to bed." Then after a pause she said, "Or are you lingering for a reason Brandon?" He felt his face get hot at this, since he was, in fact, sticking around to ask her to come to Puerto Rico with him, but she completely misread him. "You want me, don't you?" She asked moving incredibly closer to him as he stood frozen at the question. "You want to fuck me, that's why you're still here isn't it?" She asked, walking back into the bathroom to spit out the toothpaste and clean her brush.

Mel had asked him, not accusingly as he'd have expected, she asked him in a teasing manner. Did Mel want him? Figuring he must be imagining things he shook it off and said, "No, Mel I..."

"You totally do, I can tell," she said cutting him off as she reentered the room, and got super close to him, "so what's stopping you big boy? I'm right here for the taking." She leaned against him, and the feel of her firm body against his made his throat go dry.

"What's the matter? Worried about cheating on that bitch that broke up with you? Because she doesn't deserve you Brandon."

"No," he rasped out and without thinking added in anger, "and I dumped her for cheating on me if you must know."

Mel's eyes widened, "Even better, come get your balls back Brandon, take me. Show that little twit how big a man you really are."

He had to admit he was tempted, but he knew the real Mel, sober Mel would never ever say any of this. He hated himself, but he had to stop this, he also knew that he could not ask this Mel to come on vacation with him, he did not want this Mel's answer. He wanted his friend's answer.

"This isn't you Mel, you're drunk, I'll see you on Monday." He said getting ready to leave. He headed for the door and she followed probably to lock up behind him.

He was wrong though, she fired off one more shot as he grabbed the door knob, "You know Brandon, I always wondered way back to that date we had years ago, would you be what you called a 'Big Shot' or a 'Yes Man', I guess we have our answer. A Big Shot would have taken me just now, a Yes Man would run away like a little bitch."

Brandon turned to see her smiling at him mischievously, she was provoking him on purpose, it's like she wanted him to try something. Brandon dropped his gaze and turned to the door.

"Interesting," Mel said "I always had you more Big Shot than Yes Man."

With that final jab Brandon made up his mind, he would not fuck her, that would practically be rape given how drunk she was. He would send a message though, he turned and pulled her in a deep kiss, so deep he tasted the toothpaste residue in her mouth.

The kiss was marvelous, deeper and better than any he had ever had, kissing her set every nerve in his body on edge, like he was on fire, and he loved every second of it. He pulled her closer and once again rejoiced in the feel of her sculpted curves against him. He could keep kissing her forever, he so loved this feeling, but he knew he had to stop it.

With a massive feat of mental strength, he pulled out of the kiss and released her. He then grabbed the doorknob, and looking her straight in the eye said, "For the record Mel, I'm neither, and that's what turns you on isn't it?" He started to pull open the door saying, "Good night Mel."