The Phoenix and the Ice Queen Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"And trust me I see a lot of couples in this job, I do not often say this, because it frankly not always true. However, you two, you two have a magic to you, and I know you're not together and I'm not trying to be pushy. I'm just saying, you should think about it, because I can tell you two respect and admire each other deeply, and that my friends is what makes a relationship last."

They smiled and thanked him. He left and later came back with an electronic button.

"Well, dinner has concluded, but the hut is yours for the rest of the night, as am I. Just press this if you need something. If I do not see you again, it was a pleasure, and enjoy the rest of your stay with us."

The waiter left, and they then moved to a nearby bench overlooking the sea, and sat enjoying the night. As they did, Brandon's thoughts before Mel had joined him rushed back, and he knew he would never get something this perfect possibly ever again. Steeling himself, and helped by the wine he had drank that night, he marshalled his thoughts and clearing his throat, asked the thing he had been wondering ever since the wedding.

"Mel, why aren't we an 'us'?" Then realizing that was a bit vague said, "I mean I know I was dating someone until recently, but it's not like we haven't had times where we were both single. Why have we never tried to make you and I work?" Mel stayed silent, and before she could say something to stop his momentum, he added to his reasoning. "Think about it, we've known each other for years, we can tell each other almost anything. Other people can see it more than we can, my ex was under the impression you were trying to steal me, and she was clearly super jealous of you. The waiter tonight was not alone in thinking we're couple material, people have been saying that all week, we apparently act like a couple without even trying." He paused to draw breath, "and then there is last Saturday, I hate dancing, I'm well known for it, but with you? I loved it, it was a blast even for the short time we were out there. Most of all, those kisses Mel, I've never felt like that kissing someone, ever. Kissing you made me feel so amazingly alive I don't know if I can live without that for the rest of my life, knowing that feeling is out there. Mel, they were so good, it was seriously almost worth the knee to the crotch after. So, I ask again, why are we not together Mel? Why shouldn't we give it a try?"

Mel thought for a minute then said, "Well what about Phoenix? A move like this might put something we've both worked for quite a while in jeopardy. Our professional dreams might be at stake in this. Besides, people would surely talk if you and I got together, they practically do already. I don't know if I can deal with rumors flying around about me that much, being the center of gossip like that. Most of all though, what if it doesn't work and it blows up in our faces, we not only lose everything we worked for, but lose a great friend in the process. That's a lot to put on a couple of feelings that it might work. Don't you agree?"

"Maybe, but what if it does Mel? You ask what if everything goes wrong? I say what if everything goes right? Can you imagine that Mel, true personal happiness along with the professional satisfaction you've been striving for? You could have it all. I know it's a risk, but think about it, there are worse things to gamble on. We're everything the other wants Mel, or at least you are to me. I've come to realize that the past few months, and definitely after being cheated on and duped. You're warm, compassionate, loyal, intelligent, strong, supportive, and honestly the most gorgeous woman I know. When I look at you tonight it's no wonder Candice was jealous of you, you are really the most amazing woman I know, and I know I want to be with you.

"As for you I can't speak for certain, but I think I'm a mix of what you want, maybe the perfect mix. I'm no Yes man who's going to let you walk all over him, but I'm not going to try to run your life either. You clearly respect me, even a waiter could see that. I have a quiet strength, but one you can, and have, relied on whether you'll admit it or not. I want a family like you secretly do, but I won't make you give up your career dreams to have it, I could be your partner in all things Mel. Isn't that something worth trying for?

"And speaking of partners, if referring to the discussion we had with Fred the other day about Phoenix, what stopping us from taking this into account Mel? Think about it, this is the perfect time, Phoenix is barely anything right now. If it goes south then there's nothing lost but an opportunity.

"As for the rumors, since when have you let other people's opinion stand in the way of something you want? I told you two years ago when your mom and mentor tried to run your life, do what makes you happy and damn the rest.

"Most of all Mel theres this. You and I both know, that if we don't take the time to exploring this first, Phoenix, Alliance or some combination will take that spot as the love of your life. You won't have time for anything else. If that's what you want then fine, but I don't think so, deep down I don't think you do either.

"Long and the short of it though it comes down to this, you always tell people to fight for what they want, well what I want is you. I could probably be happy with one of the 'future-housewives' as you call them, but I don't think quite as happy as I would be with you. I definitely think I need to know whether this will work, it will bother me to not know because well," he took a brief pause debating whether to truly plunge, but convinced he needed to say it so she truly knew how he felt about her.

"Because I'm fairly certain I'm in love with you already, and it's ok if you don't feel that way about me, I just wanted to let you know this isn't some kind of casual, 'what the hell' proposal." Then seeing her face whiten at 'proposal' he added quickly, "its also not that kind either, Mel, don't worry I'm not that crazy." Mel breathed a sigh of relief and Brandon finished his thought. "But I do need to know you'd be willing to consider that if the time came, because I don't casually get involved with people, I play for keeps. So, I want you to know I'm only doing this because I see marriage and a family with you as a real possibility. I believe that it all can work for us, or I wouldn't be asking for this. Besides, we've basically been on at least two real dates now Mel, three if you count the wedding last weekend, by two or three dates I know when I want to see if things will work long term with a woman and I definitely do here, not sure if you feel the same, but that's my feeling.

"I also don't want you thinking I'm giving up on our little company though, I'm still all in on that, I'm just saying let's give this a chance too. If we do this now it still gives us time to see where this goes and start a family. Like it or not Mel maternity leave is much harder to work around if you've got no backup and you're the owner, so I'm just saying it gives us options." He saw her face whiten, and he quickly added, "Sorry If that scares you, or if I'm rambling."

"No, you're fine," Mel said, "I'm more surprised how not scared all that makes me, but still we could make it work as owners, what if we don't have the time, or things blow up between us?"

"Thing is Mel we're not that old now, but time moves quickly, and once we get north of 30 that family windows starts closing fast. Phoenix can wait, a family might not be able to, at least not without significant risk or expense. Since we only want like two kids, we could be done by the time we're 30, with much more experience under our belts and a truly better idea of what direction we want to go in with our lives. Then at least we know we'll have tried. If it doesn't work out then life is still pretty close to what we have now, things might just be a little frostier between us is all."

She was sitting there silent when, on impulse, he pulled her to him and kissed her deeply. She didn't fight him, and heartened by this he enjoyed the feeling before breaking that kiss. Using the adrenaline rush, he looked right into her eyes, and added, "Mel, If you don't want to because I'm not your type, or you think it won't work, or you don't want a family, that's fine. Don't say no because you're afraid, you are the bravest woman I know. I watched you ATVing like a crazy woman without a trace of fear. In the three years I've known you, I've never seen fear be the reason you won't take something you want, and I'm pretty sure you want this as much, if not more, than I do. So, I ask you again, why not?"

Mel stepped to the rail, and stared out to sea for what seemed like an eternity, but was only in reality probably a minute or so, before turning to face him. She smiled, and he swore she had tears in her eyes, though why, he did not know. She sighed then said, "I'm going to say what I need to say, and no matter what, I ask that you please not interrupt. Some of this is going to be hard to say, but you deserve to hear it. You've earned that much at least."

Brandon nodded, preparing himself for the worst, but he was determined to listen to her, as she had listened to his ramblings just a few minutes before.

"You know, I once had this memorable date, it was a lot like this one, gorgeous views, attentive staff, once in a lifetime surroundings, great food, and good wine. For a long time that date was the date, the one I measured all the others against. Then the weirdest thing happened. A little over a year ago I got stuck in middle-of-nowhere Wisconsin because a stupid car broke down. That night my coworker decided to take me out to cheer me up. The place should have been horrible, but was surprisingly good. What's more, about halfway through he dared me he could impress me."

Brandon could not resist, despite his promise not to interrupt. "That's not what I, um he, bet you."

Mel glared at him, "I believe I asked you not to interrupt, and it's my story Brandon, let me tell it." Brandon apologized and she continued. "So anyways, he bets me he can't impress me with his date charms, and asks me to put on my best game face to entice him. So, I do, I excuse myself, go to the bathroom to freshen up, and for the rest of the night I am that woman I was on that amazing date that I compare all the others to. I win the bet when he breaks character at the very end, which I only realized the next day he did to let me win the bed for the night.

"That night, when we got back to the room we were forced to share, he tells me the darndest thing, he liked me better during the first half of the dinner. Amazed by this in a moment of honesty, I tell him about my full name, and why I hate it. He doesn't laugh, or look down on me. In fact, he says it suits me, and I, to my utter surprise, fall asleep smiling that night.

"After those two things happened, one I have never been anything but myself around him ever since. Something that has been met with such open acceptance, that I felt my respect, and eventually, attraction for him growing little by little each day since. The second was that inexplicably suddenly that dinner in a backcountry Italian restaurant in Wisconsin became my new benchmark. I could be in the fanciest place on earth with five-star food and drink, if I didn't feel that free to be me, it didn't matter.

"So in a way, the waiter is right, I absolutely respect you and what you think, because you let me be me without cowing to my wishes. I've come to trust your opinion and advice almost more than Andi's. Which is why when you offered unasked for advice about my personal and professional life that time after my birthday, I didn't just tell you off like I very strongly thought about doing.

"It's also why I dressed the way I did at the wedding, because the sucker was right, I am trying to steal you, for a lack of a better term. Partly because she was wrong for you, and partly because I can't stand being jealous of that twit just because she had something I wanted, you.

"It will probably not surprise you to learn that while I fear no one in my work life, man or woman, men in my personal life though scare me. They always have, it stems from my father being so dismissive and abusive toward me and my mother, my other dealings with men over the years have not made things better, until you. You are the only man I've ever relied on wholly, not just professionally, but personally as well. Having you as a friend these past few years has been a god send for me Brandon. Which is why when the feelings started growing I just brushed it aside, I figured its just what happens when you get to be as close of friends as we are. As I began to make some female friends I soon began to realize that these other women didn't have as strong of a bond toward their boyfriends and husbands as I did with my 'friend.' It was then that I began to realize that this isn't a normal progression for friendship, it was a normal progression for a romantic relationship. The trouble is, I have never seen myself as your type, and you have always been so set on finding a certain type of woman I'll never be, that I've convinced myself that this would never work.

"The truth is though, I do want you, I've wanted you for a while now, I just was not sure how to broach the subject with you. So, as I said, in a way the dum dum was right, I was trying to steal you, I'd just never have done it blatantly because I didn't want to get you like that. I wore that dress last weekend to show off myself to you and to make her angry. I loved that kiss more than you did, because it was so perfectly what I wanted from you you'll never know how that felt for me. When you invited me here and took the time to clear my schedule and work with Fred and Stephanie, I almost kissed you right there and said yes like a giddy lovesick moron. It took all my willpower to tell you I had to think about it and wait until the last moment so you wouldn't know how eager I was to come with you. I was so glad to show you more of my fun relaxed side I couldn't wait. Did you know that night after work I raced out that night and bought two bikinis so I could show off my body?

"That's maybe what scares me the most of all of this. I have never, in my entire life, wanted a man to want or see me like that, like an object to be lusted after or desired, but I want you to want me like that so bad, it scares me. Hell, I've even been growing my hair out longer, because you once told me you like women with long hair.

"You were right, we could be amazing together, and after three dates and months of dreaming of this opportunity of course I want to give it a try, but there's still a lot to work out. You just threw a lot at me I really want to discuss with you, and it's not going to be an easy transition. Not least of which for this reason."

She paused a bit, and was clearly gathering herself, so he stayed silent, she finally took a deep breath and said, "I must ask that sex be off the table, for a long time at least. I hope that's ok. It's not forever, when I said I want you I meant it, and in all ways possible, but sex, sex is going to be hard for me. My first experiences were, abusive is the best way to put them, and I just can't, not for a while. That's the reason for the knee the other day, its also the reason a lot of my boyfriends have never lasted over the years. I was the Ice Queen first because I wouldn't sleep with anyone, I embraced it and made it a thing of power, but the old wound is still there. "

She then looked at him and said, "So those are my terms, are you still willing to try?'

Brandon smiled and rising to meet her at the rail he pulled her close and said, "Absolutely." He then pulled her into a passionate kiss. When it ended, he added, "Though if we're going to have that talk now, and where better? I need a drink; what do you say we sip some champagne to celebrate and talk things over?"

Mel smiled, "Sounds great honey."

Brandon rang for the waiter and then sat on the bench, to his surprise, Mel joined him and cuddled up to him in his lap.

When the waiter came out to see what they wanted he smiled looking at them cuddled up and said, "Ah, the magic of Puerto Rico it does wonders, yes?"

Brandon nodded, "Yes it does, could you bring us a bottle of champagne and two glasses?"

"Ah, yes of course, are you celebrating something?"

Brandon looked down at Mel and she kissed him and said, "Yes, new beginnings."

The waiter smiled and said, "Very good, I will be right back out."

He left and Brandon took the opportunity to kiss Mel again, loving being so free to do it and wondering how he had lived without it for so long.

"So, Melissa what do you want to discuss first?" Brandon asked and he felt her tense.

"First of all, as I said once before, only my mother gets to call me 'Melissa', I'm not against pet names within reason, but you cannot use my full name. No boyfriend of mine gets to do that."

"Oh, and what about a husband? If we make it there of course?"

"We'll see. Just stick to Mel for now ok, honey?"

"I see I have a pet name already."

"Yeah, do you mind?"

"Not at all babe." She grimaced at that. "Ok so not babe, why don't you put together a list and I'll see which of those feel most natural?"

"Fair enough."

Before they could continue that train of thought the waiter returned opened the bottle and poured two glasses before leaving.

When he had gone, Brandon raised his glass, "To us."

Mel smiled, "To us."

They both took a sip and to his surprise she kissed him again. After it broke she apologized, "Sorry, I just love doing that. Its weird I'm not normally a super affectionate woman, but I've wanted to kiss you so long I just can't help it. Especially not since that night in my apartment."

"I know the feeling, but speaking of that night, if sex is so scary for you, why were you egging me on so much? I know now that you wanted me, but if you're scared of sex, why push me at all?"

"Wow, starting with the tough stuff out of the gate." Mel chuckled and she sipped her champagne and said, "I was drunk, I wanted you so bad, and I found myself in a situation where I could have you. Honestly, I started drinking all that wine once I found out the sucker wasn't coming. I knew you well enough that you wouldn't take advantage if I was that wasted. I figured I wouldn't really be able to resist making a fool of myself, even if I was sober, and I counted on you applying the brakes. Until I got so lost in that kiss, I lost all control and kissed you back and things started to get out of control, but not enough that my fears weren't still in effect, which is why you got the knee to the crotch. Which I'm still sorry for, but kind of glad for, because it snapped you out of it long enough to gather yourself and get out of there."

"Ok that makes sense, I guess. Now it's your turn, ask me anything about that scary stuff I brought up in my rambling confession."

Mel did, and they talked late into the night, discussing things like kids, marriage, and where they saw their careers going if things worked and didn't work. Several hours, and a bottle of champagne later, they stumbled back to their room quite inebriated, but feeling like they had had a good first serious relationship discussion.

They were both quite tired, and stumbled around getting ready for bed, but when it came time to lay down in their usual places, Mel on the bed and Brandon on a pull-out couch, Brandon found out Mel had one more requirement for him.

As he fumbled to pull out the couch, she cleared her throat from the bed, "You know if this is going to work honey, I need you to be assertive. I don't want a domineering asshole, but I want a man who isn't afraid to take what he wants when the time calls for it. I need that in a boyfriend, because I'm not going to be an easy girlfriend to have, if you want the real me. Some other guys I know I must settle for being a fake me, and stroke their ego a bit, but you know me too well for that and I don't think you want her. You said you want me, so come get me.