The Priestess and Her Boy Ch. 19

Story Info
The Temple sends Hanja south.
2k words
4.66
3k
00

Part 19 of the 26 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 07/22/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

19 - The Temple of the South

In years to come - after many hundreds of summers - scholars of history will study the Chronicle of the Temple, carefully turning the faded pages, made delicate by the passage of time. As they read Priestess Shallie's immaculate script, they will note that the frame of repentance at the foot of the statue of the Prophet was used for the very last time on the eighth day of the Hawk, in the fourteenth year of the Republic. Who was the unfortunate miscreant and what was his offence on that notable occasion? The answer is there, recorded in the Chronicle; he was a runaway brought back to the Temple after a three-day chase. Could any crime be more serious? Violence against a priestess perhaps? But readers of the Chronicle will find no such cases ever recorded. The lustful placing of a boy's hands upon a priestess perhaps? That would indeed be a shameful offence, as Priestess Hanja reminded the Temple boy Tak at the very outset of our story. There is, however, a secret among the priestesses, seldom talked of but nevertheless one that wiser historians will correctly guess. Most of the priestesses of the Temple would, at times - perhaps on nights when passions were high and when the boy within the bedchamber was a favorite - invite such touching. For, while it is written in the Book of the Prophet that the Goddess lives in each priestess, where does it also say that She is displeased by a caress? And so it is left to the runaways to attract the most severe punishments recorded in the Chronicle. Historians will see it stated simply on the tarnished page: 'On this day the runaway Ni....[here the text is faded and cannot be deciphered]...received twenty strokes from the Priestess of the Shrine before all members of the Temple; priestesses and boys.'

****

The Shrine Priestess did her duty that day, reluctantly. But the boys watching her could never have guessed the torment in her soul. She was impassive, efficient - appearing neither dismayed nor stimulated by her task. And when poor Nikah passed out from the pain, with still four strokes remaining, she waited calmly for him to be revived before continuing. Only in the evening did she break down, screaming at her night boy to leave her bedchamber so that he would not see her tears. And he was glad enough to depart. She walked to the Infirmary but Priestess Ashala would not let her in to see Nikah, telling her that he had been given a concoction to make him sleep. That was true enough, but more importantly Ashala did not feel it would help her sister to see the boy laid so low by his injuries.

"He had to be made an example of," said Ashala. "I am sorry that this duty fell to you. You bear the burden for all of us sister."

Within the Infirmary, it was Hanja whom Ashala allowed to sit with her and watch the sleeping Nikah.

"What is to be done Ashala? We cannot keep him gagged all the time! Look at his poor mouth, all chaffed and bloody."

"And neither can we keep him here," replied Ashala. "We must send him away. I wish that he did not know the secret of the new herb. Else I would gladly send him back to Tak, now that the Temple has seen him properly punished. But instead you shall go away with him, at least until the summer. Do you know the island of Lero, Hanja? It lies off the coast of your homeland, many days south of here, close to the port city of Cana. There is a small Temple of the Goddess there, with a solitary priestess, two boys and a boatman."

"Yes Ashala, I know of the Island and of the Temple. There are very few followers of the Goddess in the southern lands, but my parents were devout. They took me to the Island for ceremonies of worship when I was very young."

"Good. Look Hanja, there is more to this than simply keeping Nikah out of the way." Ashala paused, gathering her thoughts. "Hanja, I spoke to the Adjutant about your pursuit of Nikah. She said you showed great leadership on the road to Vosgir, driving the City Guards onwards so that you could be sure of capturing him. Those boys speak highly of you. She also hears reports that you struck Princess Kasmine and put her on the ground. Is this true?"

"It is. She deserved it." said Hanja defensively.

"No matter. It is just that, well, I think we have perhaps underestimated you. Tell me about your life before the Temple."

"My father commanded the Fleet of the Port of Cana, during the five-years war. He won great victories and King Osta rewarded him with lands, a fine house and slaves. I was raised with four brothers and learned to play and ride and fight alongside them. I even wore boys clothes until I came to the Temple. It was what I preferred and my parents indulged me."

"I recall your arrival Hanja. You were sent straight to the baths! I'll warrant you did not even know you were pretty until you grew your hair and Temple boys started fawning over you." said Ashala.

"It is true, I did not," laughed Hanja. "And I had little time for boys until I learned, here at the Temple, what pleasure they can bring when they are obedient and fear the Goddess."

"Continue with your story Hanja," said Ashala.

" Well, at a young age I became aware that my mother and father were devotees. I recall on several occasions seeing my father kneeling before my mother, and we sometimes worshiped at the Temple that you speak of on the island. King Osta knew it too, but would not make an issue of it as long as my father was winning battles at sea. In my seventeenth summer two boys were selected for me from the cult, but before I could take them, the King accused my father of plotting against him. Whether it was true or not I do not know. My father sent me here before they came for him. For safety, and I believe he was proud to think that I would become a priestess."

"And your mother and father? Your brothers? What happened to them?"

"They say my father died in Osta's dungeons. But I met a southern trader in the City some months ago who said my mother still lives in the same grand house. The King was not vengeful towards her. She has some boys with her. Believers. My brothers renounced the faith and left to seek their fortunes. Gone far to the east, so they say."

"A fascinating tale, Hanja. I had no idea. You must see your mother when you go south." said Ashala.

At that moment, Nikah began to wake and called for her.

"I am here Nikah," said Ashala. "I will not leave you alone tonight. And Hanja is here too."

Hanja moved to his side and whispered, "I am so sorry for what has befallen you Nikah. I know it is hard now, but I hope one day you will forgive me for my part in this. Whether you do or not, I will never lose my love for you."

"Here, drink more of this Nikah. It will help you sleep." said Ashala, holding a cup to his lips.

When Nikah was once more sleeping, Ashala turned again to Hanja, "How was he with you on the journey back to the City?"

"He would not meet my eyes. But he was obedient. Oh, Ashala, he must hate me!"

"You have work to do there Hanja," replied Ashala. "But I am sure he will come to love you again."

She fetched wine and poured goblets for the two of them before continuing.

"The World is shrinking, sister. The City has its spies in the south and each summer they report greater numbers of visitors in the port of Cana. Explorers, emissaries, traders, pirates, priests of exotic gods, adventurers, slavers. They come from lands further and further away; from the corners of the World, so it seems. And their vessels, clothing and arms are of a design and quality that can only be dreamt of in the City."

"Are they a threat to us?" asked Hanja.

"So far they arrive and conduct their business and pay their taxes to King Osta and leave. But they observe! There was even an emissary in the Court of King Charton this summer, from a distant eastern land. A man of the City drank with him at a tavern in Casbur. He talked of a battle in his homeland three summers ago in which one hundred thousand warriors took to the field! Hanja, at Tajorg the Sons of the North mustered but six thousand and outnumbered the Legion of the City. For so many summers the Temple has thought only of bringing the men of nearby tribes to the Goddess. The Sons of the North, The men of Casbur, the southern cities, even the Cargians. But now, just when the Goddess, with Ruta as her agent, has given us the new suf-herb, we find ourselves concerned with threats that exist outside our known world."

"Will we use the herb against our neighbours, Ashala? I should not say 'against'. Will we use it to help them see the true path? To bring them to the Goddess?"

"Not yet Hanja. At least not until the summer, and perhaps not even then. We will grow more of it though, using farms outside the City walls. But first, before we act, we must know of the threats that exist beyond the southern ports. In the spring, using the Temple on Lero island as your base, you will pay visits to Cana and befriend travellers who arrive there. You must use your charms, Hanja. You may have to let them lay hands on you - they must not know you are a priestess."

Hanja shuddered, but Ashala continued, "From these foreigners you will learn much about their distant homelands; their resources and intentions. We will give you some of the new herb, sister, should you wish to enchant or enslave a man. Once under its influence, none will defy you and you will get the truth that you seek from each of them. And if you need obedience it shall not be denied you. But you must use it sparingly. And you must be discrete. King Osta has little tolerance for spies."

"I will do it Ashala," said Hanja. "Gladly. And what of Nikah?"

"Keep him on the Island. The Priestess there will help you. Her name is Javka and she has been there many years. I know her well, Hanja - we were close friends once, and she is devout and capable. But be wary sister - she can be cruel, so you must make sure she understands that Nikah is a loved boy. The City Adjutant will provide four men to escort you there; the same fellows who went with you to Vosgir. She feels they are loyal to you, that they will protect you with their lives. You see, Hanja, you have such a way with boys, even when they are not enslaved. I do not think you will even need the suf herb in the south. You must not let Nikah out of your sight until you reach the Island. Allow him freedom from the gag during the days on condition he talks to none other than you. He is a good boy, Hanja; he will agree. You must gag him at night while you sleep and have your men wake you if he tries to communicate with them. Keep his ankles shackled so he can only hobble. Once he is safely on the Island you may give him more freedom, as the boat comes only rarely, bringing worshipers. The boatman is a devotee and knows better than to take an unaccompanied boy from the Island. We shall buy you a covered wagon for the journey, but you can share this with the City Guards - I know you love to ride Hanja."

"When will I leave?"

"As soon as Nikah is fit to travel. A few days. The snow will not be bad in the south."