The Priestess and Her Boy Ch. 20

Story Info
Taneric learns important news from a sleepy tavern girl.
1.5k words
4.64
2.6k
00

Part 20 of the 26 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 07/22/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

20 - The Tavern Girl

As winter took its grip on the countryside, life settled into a comfortable routine for the Sons and Daughters of the North. There was hunting - a pastime much enjoyed by the King, in the cold of winter just as in the heat of summer. Game was plentiful, even in the frigid weather, and that in turn led to frequent feasting and merriment. And there were winter celebrations - different to any observed in the City - such as the festival of Hule where the birth of Wodh was marked on the shortest day of the season.

Meanwhile Taneric's education continued. Peto taught him the arts of combat and strategies of battle during the mornings and, in the afternoons, he was educated by priests in the ways of Wodh and in the history and lore of the North. In the evenings he studied the arts and philosophy under the tutorship of great southern scholars, brought to Vosgir through the patronage of King Alfard. And if he ever looked backwards to the pleasures of the Temple, if he experienced cravings that must be satisfied, if he felt the call of the Goddess, none knew but Princess Kasmine who would sometimes welcome him to her bedchamber at night, greeting him as 'Tak' - never Taneric. His more prosaic lusts - for ale and girls - were easily satisfied in Vosgir's taverns.

The incident with Nikah and Hanja at the gates of Vosgir weighed heavily on Taneric's mind during those winter days. Others looked to him for explanations that he could not provide - Why such a strong chase? Why the horrible gag? Why would Hanja not accept the hospitality offered by Taneric, when her right to the boy Nikah had clearly been acknowledged? Taneric could not answer their questions. But he resolved to visit the City in the spring to seek answers. And, while he did not discuss his intentions with his father or with Ostin, he was determined that he would return to Vosgir with Nikah alongside him.

The recent ascension in the Eastern Kingdom was a frequent matter of discussion between Taneric, King Alfard and Ostin during that cold winter. It was clear that the City would no longer enjoy the steady supply of eastern boys brought to it's markets by Cargian slavers. But what if Zantina should be minded to take a further step and extract those already held, as the North had done for its sons and daughters fourteen summers previously? Harl had steadfastly refused to be drawn on the matter as he rode from Casbar with the column of the North. Furthermore, it had to be 'assumed', as Ostin put it, that Queen Zantina's offer of marriage, made to Taneric in apparent jest, was in fact serious, or would certainly become so in the course of time. Taneric sensed that his father looked favourably upon the match, but was reluctant to apply force - 'You will marry when you are ready my son, and you alone shall choose your bride'. But Taneric, by now having begun his education in matters of state, could see the merit of such an idea. 'A monarch acts in the interests of his people' he had been taught. That is the difference between a loved King Alfard and a hated, and notably dead, King Charton. And Taneric had not found his experience with Queen Zantina unpleasant; she was beautiful, intelligent and playful. There was, of course, the matter of her cruelty on the night of the coronation. But the victims were Cargian slavers and, as Peto pointed out, King Alfard had done worse in the days after Taneric's abduction.

Taneric had much to consider that winter. And then, on a cold night, as he walked by a tavern on one of Vosgir's muddy streets, he heard a soft voice calling to him from its half open door.

"Not tonight young lady," he replied. "I have enjoyed my fill of ale and I seek solitude in my own bed."

"But Prince Taneric, Tak, do you not recognize me?"

Now curious, he stared over. She was a dark girl, taller than average, and pretty.

"Of course, you were at the tavern in the City that afternoon. My brother Nikah and I shared you and your companion! At least until we were rudely pulled away." He winced remembering it.

"Yes Taneric. My name is Ovala, I do not think I told it to you before. I heard stories of your good fortune. It is well known around the City. Please come in Taneric, it is so cold in this doorway. Surely you have room for one more cup of ale?"

They went inside and sat together on a comfortable chair by the fireplace, Ovala slipping into Taneric's lap. The tavern was busy with groups of farmers, traders and warriors eating stew and sipping ale.

"I have fond memories of that afternoon in the City Ovala," said Taneric. "The way you and your friend shared your bodies was so very different to what we were accustomed to as Temple boys. And on that same day I was recognized as a Son of the North and my life changed forever. But what are you doing here?"

"I have only been here a few days Taneric. I argued with Azelda and she wanted me gone. A trapper I was with offered to bring me to Vosgir - he said there are good friendly taverns here that are in need of pretty girls. And I had never been to Vosgir and was curious. So, here I am." She waved over at the proprietor who stood by the ale barrels wiping cups.

"It is a hard journey in winter." said Taneric.

"Oh, it was not too arduous," she replied. "The trapper had a cart and plenty of furs. But Taneric, take me upstairs! It will please the tavern owner, and I already know you will enjoy me."

They moved to an upstairs room and he was quickly inside her.

****

When it was over, the girl lay on her back while Taneric caressed her body, snuggling close in the warmth of the bed.

"Are you trying to get me ready again?" she asked. "Keep doing that and it will not be long."

She reached out and put a hand behind his head, pulling his lips to hers.

"Can I be one of your special girls Prince Taneric?" she said. "I would like to often lie beside you like this."

"We will see." he replied.

"I was sorry to hear about Nikah."

"Wait! What can you possibly know of that?"

"Taneric, you look so serious and you have stopped caressing me," she laughed. "Please continue and I will tell you. That is better. Well, recently, just a few days before I left the City, a young Guardsman came to my bed. His comrades paid for him to be with me. They were drinking ale and teasing him, saying it was time for him to become a man. Anyway, he told me a story; that he had travelled with a beautiful priestess to capture a runaway Temple boy. And they caught the boy just at the gates of Vosgir. I must say it all sounded very exciting Taneric."

"And he told you the boy's name was Nikah?"

"Well no, not at all, but I knew that it must be him. Taneric, you have stopped again! We were so cosy and sleepy together and now you are all stiff and awake. I do not like it. I wish I had never mentioned Nikah."

Taneric started to caress her again, "So how did you know the boy must be Nikah?"

"Oh, well after that day with the four of us - ooh Taneric, that feels good where your hand is right there - Nikah came to see me a few times. In the afternoons. He would slip away from the Temple. He said his day Mistress would never notice, and if another priestess saw him leaving she would just assume he was on an errand. I thought he was taking a big chance, Taneric - I know boys are sometimes beaten in the Temple. But it was his choice, and I was always pleased to see him. I even got him upstairs once or twice when Azelda was not about. And then one day he came to see me in a rush and told me he was leaving the Temple - running away to join you in Vosgir. Right there and then! He wanted to say goodbye. Is that not sweet Taneric? So, when the Guardsman told me about capturing a runaway a few days later I knew it must be Nikah."

"I see," said Taneric, relaxing.

"It is funny though Taneric," said Ovala. "Before he ran away that afternoon he told me the strangest story. I really don't think he was quite right in his head. It was about his day Mistress...in the Gardens...oh, what was her name?..."

"Priestess Ruta."

"Yes, that was it. Anyway, he said something about her growing a new type of herb. The herb from the Book of the Prophet. From the Garden at the beginning of time. And that all men would be enslaved. He seemed most disturbed, which makes me wonder if he had gone quite mad...Taneric, what are you doing? Where are you going? Taneric!"

But Taneric was already out of the room and halfway down the stairs.