The Princess Gambit

Story Info
A very old story of a princess saving her country.
1.4k words
4.53
4.1k
7
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
mahadosa
mahadosa
35 Followers

The guards gracefully opened the huge doors to the throne room. The luxurious room had been filled with chatter and all manner of noise, and now, like a wave, silence flooded the great corridor that emanated from the door. A single figure entered the vast room and slowly approached the golden throne of Emperor Mursili. Full of grace and suppleness, each step was placed with the utmost precision. All heads turned towards the young woman. Everyone knew who she was, but almost no one had ever seen her in person. Despite her youth, she was already a living legend: Princess Nausicaa of the island of Lazpa, daughter of King Alcinous. A loyal vassal of the Emperor.

Emperor Mursili was sitting on his throne, relaxed, sipping the finest wine in the Hittite Empire from his golden goblet. He looked up in surprise and met the eyes of the princess across the room. He, too, could not escape the spell or avert his gaze. Completely undisturbed, Nausicaa continued her approach to the throne. It was impossible to tell if she was aware of the emperor's advisors, dignitaries, merchants, bodyguards, court officials, servants and other guests. Her eyes were fixed on the throne. Everyone else was looking at her, their heads turning as she moved.

Finally, she reached her destination and dropped to her knees, bowing her head.

Nausicaa: "My sun, your servant Nausicaa from the island of Lazpa reports for the annual tribute."

Mursili was astonished. Lazpa was late this year. King Alcinous had not yet sent the required sacks of grain. This was highly unusual, for Alcinous was unfailing, he never caused trouble in the Empire. In normal years, he would appear at court himself to deliver the tribute. Never before had his daughter accompanied him. But this year was unusual for Lazpa, there had been rumours of a severe crop failure. Boring, mundane stuff, nothing that would bother an emperor.

Mursili: "Welcome to my court, Princess Nausicaa of Lazpa. You are late, I expected the tribute last month. Your island should not try the Emperor's patience."

Nausicaa held her submissive pose. Her voice was firm and clear.

Nausicaa: "I have bad news for my sun. Our island may not produce enough crops this year. We have only enough grain to keep our people from starving and a small reserve for next year's planting. This year we cannot give you your share.

Mursili was stunned. If anyone else had dared to disobey his orders, they would have died a horrible death. He had to make sure that his power was not questioned, that he did not appear weak. Yet this woman was brave. He admired her courage. There must be more to it.

Mursili: "I do not care what the weather was like in Lazpa. The tribute must be paid, or my army will sack Lazpa as an example. I will hear no excuses!"

Nausicaa: "My sun, of course you can send your army to make an example. That is your right, and no one can stop you. But you know, Lazpa is only a small and poor island. There is not much worth plundering there. Our tribute is only a small part of your income. If you choose to kill and destroy, there won't be any tribute from Lazpa for years to come.

The Emperor had to agree with this logic. There was no point in sacking Lazpa, except to set an example for the other vassals. He liked King Alcinous, he was a good advisor and a reliable ally. And now he liked his daughter too. Whether it was her bravery, her intelligence or her beauty, he couldn't say. She had a rare combination of qualities.

Mursili: "I cannot accept to do without a whole year's tribute. You must give me something else or the island of Lazpa will suffer.

Nausicaa: "Surely next year's harvest will be better. My island will give half the tribute on top of the normal amount. You just need a little patience. Have mercy, my sun. My father is a proven and trustworthy nobleman of your great empire".

Mursili: "These are only words. Who can guarantee that the tribute will be paid next year, as you have just promised?"

Nausicaa: "I will, my sun."

Mursili: "I don't need hostages for such deals. My army could invade and plunder Lazpa at any time on my command".

Nausicaa: "I did not speak of being a hostage."

Mursili: "Were you not? Then what exactly is your proposal?"

Nausicaa: "In return for your generosity... you get me."

Mursili: "All I said was that I could pillage Lazpa if I wanted to. So I could kidnap you or any other woman from Lazpa at will.

Nausicaa: "Of course, my sun. You have a large army and Lazpa is only a small island. We could not defend ourselves even if we wanted to. They could take my body. Any robber or pirate could do that, given the opportunity. But you are a mighty emperor, and my offer is much greater, worthy of your rank.

Mursili still couldn't understand what this woman was talking about. Not only was she exceptionally beautiful, but she also had a plan. Nausicaa was a favourite subject of the travelling bards, who had written many songs about her. Lazpa was renowned for the beauty of its women. At the moment, three of the servants in the throne room were women from Lazpa, and they listened in amazement to what their princess was saying.

Mursili: "So what is your remarkable offer?"

Nausicaa: "I offer not only my body, but my mind. You can have as many slaves as you like, but you cannot control your slaves' minds. You must collar them to determine their status. For the whole year, until the next tribute arrives from Lazpa, I will serve you freely in all respects. Whatever you wish. I could dance for you. I could be your unique trophy in your throne room. The emperors of Egypt, Babylon and Assyria will envy you for my presence. They will feel inferior because they do not have me at their court. The most beautiful princess in the world".

It was not subtle, but Mursili had to admit that she was right. The beauty of the women of Lazpa was known in the other realms, and Mursili was overjoyed that Lazpa was part of his realm. It was time to test her resolve.

Mursili: "I am willing to consider what you have said. But before we seal the deal, I need to test your offer. Stand up and remove your clothes! I have no use for them.

Now is the time to see if she was really sure about her proposal. Mursili tried to read Nausicaa's face, but she remained stoic. Slowly, she rose to her feet and removed her sandals, then her dress.

A chorus of "OOOHHHH!" came from all around her, interspersed with various whispers that echoed through the hall.

Nausicaa placed the sandals and dress neatly on the floor beside her and stood up straight, looking at the Emperor and awaiting his verdict. Mursili couldn't speak. He knew the deal was done, he just didn't know what to say. A flicker in Nausicaa's eyes showed she knew exactly what was going on in Mursili's head. After a long pause, Mursili cleared his throat and spoke again.

Mursili: "Um, Princess Nausicaa, I have a question: Is your father aware of your mission?"

Nausicaa: "My sun, this is a deal between my emperor and myself. It would benefit both the Empire and my island. King Alcinous has always trusted my decisions, there was no need to inform him before I came here."

Mursili: "Very well. I accept your offer. You will stay at the court for one year, until the next tribute from Lazpa arrives. Your place will be at the foot of the throne, for all to see. You will be my special trophy in the throne room. Servants, bring a large pillow for the princess!"

Nausicaa approached and knelt on the soft cushion. She was now facing the entrance, just like the Emperor, and within reach. Mursili ran his hand through her long black hair. His mind drifted who knows where. Nausicaa smiled in satisfaction. She knew Emperor Mursili was a restless spirit. Within a year, he would tire of her and she would return to Lazpa as agreed. Empty-handed, she had saved her island.

mahadosa
mahadosa
35 Followers