The Protocol of Ahab Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ms_4tune
ms_4tune
110 Followers

I did not reply but wrapped up in my coat and turned to the window and tried to sleep. I awoke to the stops and starts and bumps of the city street. I roused slowly thinking the incident with the gun was part of a dream. Rachel had moved it out of sight. The purse was wedged between us. The commuter train horn blared a warning, and I recognized the train crossing down from my apartment. A turn, then another and we pulled up across from my place. Rachel set the parking brake. "Here you are" she announced coldly. I gathered my things, opened the purse, removed the envelopes, and tossed them into Rachel's lap before reaching for the door handle.

"That's yours. Take it. It is not worth anything to me. Use it to pay for your dream." I tugged at the latch, but Rachel had pressed the master door lock.

"I am not touching it. You earned it. You and your pot of gold mouth." Rachel's tone was bitter and cutting. I was hurt. Deliberately, I picked up the envelopes and pushed them inside my coat. Rachel unlocked the door and I got out on the curb. I felt the need to add one last word, but I could not think of a remark that conveyed how I felt.

The car idled as I stood in the cold. I wanted Rachel to roar away like she normally left work. Don't just sit there I pleaded subconsciously, leave. She stayed. I bent over to the closed window and rapped lightly. Stoic Rachel stared dead ahead ignoring me. I rapped again harder and continued until she turned to acknowledge me. I took a deep breath, "Won't you stop in?" It was a question and a plea and a request all at once. I paused briefly awaiting an answer, then turned and quickly went inside. Slamming the door so hard the glass rattled.

ms_4tune
ms_4tune
110 Followers