The Rise of the Spell Caster

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Nine adventurers come together to rise to the challenge: Grace, Jason, Brian, Daniel, Amy, Jasmine, Amber, Jennifer, and Bitty.

Daniel names their adventuring party The Circle.

Now, read on for the conclusion of the first arc of the Spell Caster series.

Chapter One

THE NEWLY FORMED band of adventurers calling themselves The Circle stood patiently inside King Arbuckle's private audience chamber. The room was used to receive special visitors away from the prying eyes that lived in the castle. The room was sparsely decorated with the obvious exception of the walls, which were covered with the heraldry and emblems representing the aristocracy of the Realm. Grace had told The Circle the ornamentation was placed there to remind the aristocracy that their heritage was at the whim of the ruling monarch. King Arbuckle had made it clear what lines he allowed his dukes, duchesses, lords, and ladies to toe and sometimes cross. He also made it clear that failure to abide by his rules would be met with swift retribution from the king. Usually this meant fines, but sometimes it meant heads rolled.

The recent Gnome Emancipation had resulted in several disruptions and changes to the noble houses. Some rose to the challenge of the new world order—where the aristocracy no longer had slaves to order about—and others did not. Those that adapted, thrived. Those that didn't no longer had their heraldry on display in this room. And likely they no longer sported their heads.

Daniel Davies, observing the shields and tapestries lining the otherwise bare stone walls of the chamber, didn't know which were new and which were old. He also didn't recognise any of them. But it mattered little to him. His only concern at the moment was why the king had marched them in and then had them standing around for far too long already with nothing to do but stare at the empty dais at the back wall with a small throne perched on it. The only other furniture were two small side tables placed together in the corner near a side entrance the King used to enter the chamber from elsewhere in the castle. One table held goblets and carafes of wine, and the other looked more like a writing desk holding an ink well, quill, and papers.

To Daniel's immediate right stood the witch Amy Albright, the heart of their circle of witches, to which Daniel was happily bound as their spell caster. Her brown eyes barely rose above his right shoulder. Her long brown hair, shining with vitality, accented her sun-bronzed skin. Her cheek bones were splashed with endearing freckles, and her nose was cute and small. There was no missing her large breasts, which strained the front of her bright yellow bodice and exposed her deep cleavage. She gleamed with vigour, but her eyes were narrowed at the strange thin man standing next to the throne. He was King Arbuckle's top advisor and the head of the King's Bureau of Intelligence, or the KBI, as it was known. His name was Sylvan Castigon.

Standing next to Amy, was the witch Jasmine Juniper. Her bright green eyes stared equally with distrust at Sylvan. She was petite in all ways. Her diminutive breasts were barely discernible, but her large nipples were pressed against the top of her indigo dress and drew the eye. Her blonde hair was cut short in a man's style, but on her, it oddly accented her femininity. She licked her full, naturally red lips, and glanced up at Daniel for a moment and smiled.

Amber Aine, the last of the circle of the witches, stood tall on Daniel's left with one hand gripping Daniel's left bicep possessively. Her blonde hair was cut short, like Jasmine's. Like the other girls, her face was beautiful with bright blue eyes and full, soft lips pressed together in a tight line as she stared at Sylvan. Large hoop earrings dangled and shimmered in the light from her earlobes. She wore a red and black swirled dress that wrapped around her. It accented her full figure and enhanced the size of her perfect, large breasts. Her waist was slim and fell to wide hips and an ample, firm ass. Her legs were long and shapely and exposed from the long slit of her dress. Her height was such that she could look Daniel squarely in the eye.

Standing next to Amber was the Night fae half-breed, Grace de Moroingi, although she preferred using the last name Gales to hide her royal background. To many who observed her, she looked like death, despite her short stature. Her skin was white as fresh snow, but her lips and eyes were darkened with black paint. She wore a strange garb that seemed to move on its own and resembled the feathers of a raven. Her hair was so black it was hard to make out the style, but it was long and tied back in a simple ponytail that reached to her lower back. She held herself in a manner that suggested she was poised for action. But for the moment, she looked bored.

To Grace's left stood Brian Bitmyth and Jason Jackson. Jason was clearly a fighter of some sort. He was massive, standing well over six feet in height. He wore a mail hauberk over a leather gambeson. Over his left shoulder and strapped to his back was a massive, unsheathed sword with a large sharkskin wrapped handle. He carried a full helm under his left arm. Around his waist was a strange belt carrying small metal vials of varying colours. He wore thick leather boots that rose to his knees. Ornate metal bracers covered his thick forearms, and they matched his helmet. He looked dangerous, but the smile he wore gave him a contrasting, gentle look. Jason was a self-proclaimed fighter-guru class and often provided what he thought were insightful spiritual commentaries.

The person beside him, Brian, stood only about four feet tall, and he was almost as wide as he was short—like all the other mountain dwarves before him. He had thick, braided red hair, and sported an immense braided beard that practically shone with redness, or maybe it was the oils he used. He had prominent ridge bones jutting over his eyes that sprouted shockingly long and thick eyebrows.

He had a massive, spiked mace strapped to his waist and the head barely cleared the ground. But what drew everyone's attention was the dull half-plate mail he wore. It looked well used and had a few prominent dents and holes in it. It was what was painted in stark contrast on his chest armour that looked completely out of place. The dwarf had a crudely drawn penis painted in white right on his chest. An amulet shaped like a penis hung around his neck. Brian was a cleric of the goddess Syn and damn proud of it.

The last two members of the circle stood beside Amy and Jasmine. The first was Jennifer Jousts, and judging by her armour and the crude drawing of a penis on her breastplate, she was a paladin of Syn. Her hair had the look and colour of straw and was untamed and wild. She was tanned with startling white teeth surrounded by full and luscious lips. Her plate mail was surprisingly petite, but with massive breast cups that barely contained her ample bosom, a gift from Syn according to Jennifer. She wasn't exactly beautiful, but she had an aura about her that drew the eye and held it. She was striking and stood with a confidence many envied, but the subtle laugh lines at her eyes and mouth gave away her true persona.

The last one in line was the gnome, Bitty Beatrix, tall for her kind, at three feet. Her skin was a lovely, rich brown, like chocolate and caramel mixed together. She was bald, as were all gnomes, but her features were strikingly beautiful. Her eyes, easily twice the size of a human's, were brown and highly intelligent. Her cheek bones were high, and her lips were naturally bright red. Her breasts, large for her frame, filled her modest robin egg blue dress and accented her slim waist and hips and accented her round, gorgeous bottom. A simple wand was tucked into her waist band. Bitty, since Daniel had freed the gnomes of the world from an insidious witches' curse, had been declared his Emissary to the gnomes.

The nine of them had chosen the name The Circle for their adventurer party. They had come together to fight the monsters of the Wild, united by honour and integrity and a shared history. For the past month, they had been stuck in the Academy of Adventure Training ever since they had exposed the former headmaster Quinten Cuirass—now a disgraced former paladin of Loki—as a force of evil in the world. Quinten was now loose somewhere in the world, doing who knew what.

Although Daniel and his witches had finished their academia at the Academy and were ready to start their own adventures, they had yet to formally graduate. The loss of Quinten as headmaster had resulted in Grace taking the role for a time at the behest of the king. Last week, the king had replaced her with Johnson Peters, the former registrar of the school. Johnson had exposed a series of nefarious goings on at the school that Quinten had been responsible for. His reward was the heavy mantle of headmaster. He was the first non-adventurer to be headmaster.

As soon as Daniel thought of Johnson, they all glanced to the rear as the door to the chamber opened behind them and banged into the wall. They watched Johnson hurry to close the door, muttering apologies, and then hurriedly walk up to the front of the room to stand beside Sylvan. He smiled at The Circle and nodded his head. Daniel could see he carried four small scroll cases and smiled to himself. Amy grabbed his hand and gave it an excited squeeze.

Silence once again filled the room, and Daniel was growing impatient. Amber squeezed his upper arm a little harder when he fidgeted. He tried to relax and turned on his sight to observe the room. His magical gaze showed the bright blue auras of his companions. His eyes followed the brown and green tendrils that flowed from Amy and Jasmine and wrapped around Daniel and Amber. A thick, reddish tendril, the diameter of a small tree, emerged from Amber and joined with Daniel, Amy, and Jasmine. Daniel could see the tendrils also caress Grace and Bitty. They weren't in his witch circle, but they sure seemed to be recognised by it.

Daniel smiled to himself and reached inside himself and examined his own powers. He had discovered his power came from the female phoenix and Grace had surmised his contact with the female phoenix egg in Acron had somehow woken his magical power. He could sense the fire of his magic now that he knew what to look for.

But I think my attraction to fire was always there, Daniel thought for the umpteenth time. I think I remember it as a child, right? Playing out by the Wilds. How the fireplace had always drawn me. The beauty of the flames as they danced. Fire has always fascinated me.

The witch circle was strong and perhaps the strongest the world had ever known. Amy was the heart and had exceptional healing ability and could create shields with a thought. Jasmine was quick with offensive spells and could twist magic around most obstacles to find their intended target. Amber was a powerhouse, and almost as unlimited as Daniel in her use of magic.

Grace was a half-breed Night fae assassin and the eldest daughter to Rhiannon de Moroingi, Queen of the Night Fae and the Unseelie Court. Normally Grace would be in line for the throne, but due to her mixed birth that honour went to her stepsister, Morgaine de Moroingi. Grace was bitter, but her stepfather, Pwyll de Dyfed, had held her in high regard and made sure she was heavily involved in the politics of the Night fae. Until she escaped their underground realm with help from her stepsister.

Brian and Jason were lovers and original members of Grace's former adventuring party. They had lost their other member, a spell caster named Eric Garcia, son of Duke Wilhelm Garcia of Lanceshire, over a year ago. It was Daniel who had discovered his corpse outside the town of Acron and had claimed looting rights and now possessed his ancestral spell book and the massive wealth Eric had carried in a bag of holding. He had also found the female phoenix egg that had been returned to the King by Grace, fulfilling her oath.

Jennifer was an oddity of sorts. As a paladin of Syn, she had been sent on many callings centred around Daniel and his witches. She had managed to thwart the efforts of Quinten to dispose of Daniel and his witches. Quinten had been the orchestrator of wiping out almost all the witches in the Realm; a necessary and lawful exercise due to the pure evil witches were capable of with their bound spell casters. Jennifer had stood up for Daniel against Quinten. Then Grace had to do the same and then Glenda Gables, the only known good witch—but secretly a seer—had arrived and exposed all the evil Quinten had done and exposed his One God as none other than Loki, the Trickster.

The uproar across the Realm had been enormous. Quinten had been revered by many. A hero for the ages. Tales and songs of Quinten filled the repertoire of many the bard who travelled the land. Now those songs were being tossed aside and were replaced by the glory of Daniel and his witches, the first good witches' circle to exist that anyone had heard of.

But the majority of the Realm would still not suffer a witch to live. It was far too engrained in society and culture to be tossed aside so quickly. Daniel knew he and his ladies would need to be careful and watch their backs continuously. Many would never be convinced of their good intentions, being too obstinate and set in their beliefs to accept the truth. Broadsheets were churned out of printing presses decrying the acceptance of witches. Far too many uneducated people read them or had them read to them and believed them. Lies were spread and built on until people were only willing to believe what the lies told them.

Which was why Daniel was eager to leave Whitehaven and head west to the Wilds with his new party. He had always dreamed of being an adventurer and now was his chance. He vibrated with his need. The girls felt the same way.

But we're stuck here until we graduate from the Academy and the king releases us, he complained to himself. But hopefully that will be soon.

He turned his magic sight to Johnson, who looked plain and boring, and then he turned his sight to Sylvan for the first time and almost gasped out loud. He didn't appear to his sight. In his place was a strange void. He could see Sylvan, but where his sight would normally show his aura, there was nothing there. He felt fire stir within him looking at Sylvan. The phoenix power was angry for some reason.

This startled him and he turned his head to whisper to Grace when the side door banged opened drawing his attention.

King Arbuckle strode in with purpose and then stood in front of the raised throne. He gazed out at his audience with a calm that seemed forced to Daniel. His eyes narrowed, looking down at Daniel, and then the king sat heavily on the throne and slapped his hands down on the armrests.

"We are here to speak of two things," he barked. "The first gives me a small amount of pleasure. Headmaster Johnson has informed me that Daniel Davies, Amy Albright, Jasmine Juniper, and Amber Aine have all passed their mandatory classes at the Academy. I am pleased to present to them their diplomas and extend to them all the rights and privileges adventurers in the Realm enjoy. As of today, they are declared official adventurers and are entrusted with guarding the Realm from the threats from the Wilds. Step forward and receive your diplomas and badges of your station."

The king nodded at Johnson. Johnson stepped forward and announced each of them in turn, and when they walked forward, he handed them a thin scroll case and a metal badge bearing the shield of the King. Daniel accepted his and shook Johnson's hand warmly. Once they all held their diplomas, Grace and the others gave them a warm round of applause. Daniel couldn't keep the grin off his face.

Finally! I'm an adventurer!

Headmaster Johnson bowed to the king. "Your majesty, presentations are complete. May I speak?"

"No. I have one other item of import to discuss with them. You may leave."

Johnson looked hurt, and he glanced at Daniel and his party and looked sorrowful. "Ladies and gentlemen, it was my honour. Go forth and be safe and keep the Realm safe. Good luck."

"Out!" barked the king.

Daniel nodded to Johnson and watched him depart quietly and quickly. As soon as the door closed behind him, Daniel looked back at the king and saw his ire was now exposed. He was clearly pissed off about something.

What's wrong now? he thought.

The king was glaring mostly at Grace. He glanced once at Sylvan and then looked at all of them.

"Where is it?" he demanded.

Grace looked first at Daniel before speaking. "Where is what?"

"The egg. You all know of it. Where is it?"

Daniel saw the look of confusion that crossed Grace's face. She has no idea.

"I have no idea. I haven't seen it since I handed it directly to you. I placed it in your hand."

The king smacked his armrest and glared at Grace. "It has gone missing! An impossible act! The egg was in a most secure and secret location in the castle! But now it has vanished. I can think of no other person who could have taken it."

"Well, there's Quinten. With Loki, there is much he could have done. Have you asked him? After you find him, I mean?"

Daniel could hear the mocking tone of Grace.

"It wasn't Quinten or Loki! And watch your words, Grace Gales!"

"Gales now, is it? How about Princess Grace de Moroingi? Hmm? Are you that sure of yourself that you would accuse a Night fae princess of theft, Arbuckle?"

The king's face went bright red, and he gnashed his teeth. Flecks of spittle escaped the corners of his mouth. "Less insolence! Yes, I accuse you, Grace Gales!"

Daniel was impressed Grace was staying calm on the outside. He could feel through their partial bond that she was seething inside. The king had deeply insulted her. It appeared his anger was overriding his common sense.

Grace turned to Jennifer. "Can you?" she asked politely.

Jennifer nodded and stepped forward. "She speaks the truth. I give you my word as a paladin of Syn. Perhaps you can provide more detail and we can assist you in discovering what has happened? This is of significant import to the Realm. I saw what happened to Yanwey. For that to happen here in Whitehaven would be a tragedy beyond ken."

The king seethed for a moment longer and then seemed to deflate. He sank back on his throne and looked defeated. He raised his eyes and looked them over. "I-I'm sorry. I am quite distraught. I was certain you were behind it, Grace. Only you have the skills to find it.

"But do not speak of Yanwey again. What happened there was terrible beyond compare. I keep the roads closed and limit all discussion of the destruction. But word is getting out. Trade has clearly ceased with Yanwey, and the merchants are feeling it. My dukes and lords are picking and prodding at me, looking for any minor detail about what happened. They are frightened and rightly so.

"Losing the egg is terrible, I'm sure you realise. I had hoped to keep it safe under lock and key. I possessed it for less than a year. And now it is gone. Gone!

"Sylvan is turning over every rock. But whoever is behind the theft eludes us. There are no clues as to who may have taken it. No magical traces. I had hoped you were responsible. I know the queens of the Light and Dark fae want it. They have only reminded me time and time again. But I cannot trust them. No one can. I can only trust myself."

The king drew quiet and thoughtful. Silence filled the room and Daniel looked around at the others, unsure of what to do or say. Jason shrugged at him, appearing unconcerned.

The king stirred and glanced at Sylvan before speaking. "Very well, I believe you. I see your party is complete, but perhaps a little larger than normal. No matter. As your king, I task you to fulfil your duty and oaths to the Realm. Travel to the Wilds, kill anything that emerges, and keep my realm safe."