The Shared Drive

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Do you want a coffee or tea here or shall we go home?" I asked; Claire looked at Ezz, "I think we'll go home before the noise sends ships off course," she joked, Ezz flushed red. The dessert's arrived and we were quiet again for the time it took to consume them. I looked around and caught the waiter's eye and he bumbled over. I asked for the bill and he nodded and moved off. Returning about five minutes later, just as I was feeling my temperature rise at his tardiness. He gave me the bill then disappeared.

I thought it was reasonable and had worked out the tip. As it wasn't included. Claire took the bill then looked through the attached orders and calculated the prices in her head, confirming the cost, she nodded and said, we owe you thirty seven fifty. I looked at her, "you owe me nothing, this is my treat. If we go out again, then we'll discuss splitting the bill, but this is on me, no contest."

Claire sat back, smiled and held her hands up in front of her chest. "OK, you win this one, but in future we split it, deal." She held her hand out and I took and shook it, holding it after saying, "Deal.' She didn't seem in any hurry to release me, nor I her. She raised an eyebrow, I winked, she laughed, my heart rate accelerated from sixty to one twenty in seconds. The waiter returned and produced the card machine, taking the bill he typed in the cost, asked for my card and inserted, pressed a button then handing it to me, stepped back and looked away as I ran through the gratuity, adding fifteen percent. I punched ok, fed my pin in, pressed ok and handed it back to him. Seconds later the paper trundled out, he tore it off pressed the button and a second copy became my receipt. Tearing it off he wrapped it round my card (I hate that) and thanked me for the tip and hoped we had a pleasant rest of the evening.

Outside it was darkening as we walked to my car, Claire edged towards me and I lifted my arm to allow her to pass hers through gap and move closer to me. Ezz edged in the other side and I repeated the gesture, now walking with them both pulled in to my sides. I couldn't keep the grin off my face. Once at the car, they climbed in the back seat and cinched their seatbelts, as I sat in the driving seat, put the key in the ignition and started the motor. I clicked my seat belt in place and moved off. The drive back was only about fifteen minutes but was made much more satisfactory as the two women sang along to the tunes coming from the radio I'd tuned into an oldies station. They both had clear strong Alto voices, blending their harmonies perfectly. I was enjoying it so much I was tempted to make a detour of a couple of hundred miles just to enjoy their singing.

We arrived back and I pulled onto the driveway. I sat with them, the engine on and the radio punching out hit after hit. Twisting round in the seat, I looked at them, Claire, eyes closed, feeling for Ezz's sound and harmonising perfectly. Ezz was wide eyed and happy, her eyes sparkling, holding Claire's hand as she sang her heart out. I just sat and listened, enthralled, the sound of their voices, like silk on silk, susurrations sliding round the cabin. Claire opened her eyes and finally realised we were home. She waited until the song finished then hugged Ezz.

I switched the radio off and we exited the car. "I could listen to you two all night, your voices are incredible." Claire made a short bow and Ezz saluted me. We went inside, after I hefted the bags from the boot onto my shoulders and found the keys. Ezz disappeared upstairs, Claire kicked her shoes off, I dumped the bags by the stairs. Claire followed me into the kitchen, "Tea or coffee?" She thought for second, "Have you any decaf tea?"

"Sure, milk?"

"A little, thanks, that was a good evening, thank you." She reached up and placing her hands on my shoulders, kissed my cheek. "Don't go getting any ideas," she added with a grin, wiping a trace of lipstick away. "As if!" I replied, turning to grab mugs and tea bags. Ezz appeared in her flannel pyjamas, and dressing gown, unbelted and fluffy slippers. I tousled her hair as she went to hug her mum. She smiled and ran her hand over my tummy, before holding Claire. "Oofff! Not too tight, I'd like to hold onto the meal for a while longer." I made the teas and we moved to the lounge. Claire and Ezz sat on the sofa together, Ezz cuddled up to Claire, feet tucked under her, slippers on the floor. I placed her drink on the coffee table and sat in my lounger holding my mug.

"I hope you'll be comfortable, the bed's a little old but the mattress is pretty good. Sure you're happy to share with Ezz, there is another room." Claire nodded as she cradled Ezz's head to her chest, seeing that a thumb had tucked itself into a mouth. Eyes closed Ezz cuddled to her mother. I looked at the pair of them, "Or I could just throw a blanket over you?"

"That would be nice," she reached over and grabbed her mug, taking a sip, whilst pushing a wisp of hair back behind her ear, with the other hand. "We'll be fine, don't worry I'm sure it'll be perfectly alright." I nodded, rising to take my cup to the sink. I locked the front door on my way back, stuck my head in the lounge, "I'm off upstairs, I've locked up, so you just need to turn the lights off when you come up. I'll pop your bags in your room. Good night, sleep well, see you in the morning."

"Good night Jim, thank you, for everything, sleep well, see you tomorrow." I nodded and withdrew. Outside I picked up her bags and headed on up. Passing Louises's old room, I laid the bags on the end of the bed. I went to the bathroom, completed my nightly ablutions and headed for my bedroom. Inside, undressing, I reflected on the day. It was good to have them here, it made everything so much more bearable. Slipping into bed I pulled the covers over me and closed my eyes. I never heard them come upstairs, use the bathroom, or anything, I was out for the count.

I awoke the following morning to the sound of the shower and singing. I sat up rubbing my eyes, my bedside clock glowered sullenly at me, it was a quarter past eight. I hadn't sleep so long in years. I was still half awake but felt much better, I swung my legs out of bed and stood up stretching,

"Good morning Jim, I brought you up a cup of... Oh my god! Sorry I..." Claire backed out the room, as I sat quickly and crossed my legs. I sleep nude and hadn't even thought through getting up in the morning. The door remained wide open and Claire stood there a crimson blush suffusing her face. In her hand a mug of tea wobbled slightly. There was nothing else to do, I roared with laughter. Claire suddenly laughed too. Walking in she put the mug on the coaster on my bedside cabinet. Still laughing she patted my head and walked out shaking her head slightly sending her hair into small waves of motion. I sat back and rested my hands on the bed. Well that was a good start.

The shower stopped and the bathroom door opened, Ezz walked out, a towel wrapped round her slender frame, her hands rubbing a smaller towel over her hair, she glanced up, "Morning Jim, sleep well?" She continued on to their room, "Fine, you?" She looked at me and realised how little I had on. "Umm, fine thanks, you OK?" I reddened as she stared without any sign of embarrassment, that was obviously my department. "Short answer, go ask your mother." She looked confused, shrugged her shoulders and opened the door, there was a squeak, as Claire obviously panicked at the door opening. Then the door closed and I heard whispered conversation, followed by a pause and then laughter.

I stood gingerly, staring at their door. I almost ran to my door, pushing it shut and grabbing my dressing gown from behind the door. Wrapping myself in it I returned to the bed and sat down again, before putting my head in my hands. I tried the tea, it was perfect. I sat and drank as I heard their door open, then the bathroom door open and shut. A few minutes later the toilet flushed then the shower started. I drank my tea. Heard their door open and footsteps across the landing, the stairs creaking, Ezz had dressed and was on her way downstairs to raid the kitchen for breakfast options.

Fifteen minutes or so later I heard the shower stop, there was a pause before the bathroom door opened, I imagined Claire striding across the landing to their room. A short pause then a tap on my door. "Bathroom's free," I heard her say, I shouted an acknowledgement and finished my tea, stood and opened my door, walking out to the bathroom. The door to their room was ajar, but I didn't even glance inside as I made for the bathroom door and opened it. Once inside I peed and showered.

Wiping the mirror, over the basin, I saw my reflection, stubble sprouting across my face. I filled the basin with hot water wet shaved and looked at myself. Not bad for an old bloke, I thought, mugging at my reflection. Own teeth, most of my own hair, not a lot of grey. Looking down, I had a bit of a tummy, but I wasn't too overweight. Strong legs and muscly arms, but not gym muscly, just not flabby. Not bad at all for fifty four I thought. I patted my stomach and pulled my dressing gown back on, unlocking the door and strode back to my room.

Inside the bedroom I dressed quickly, pants, shirt, socks, jeans and a casual jumper, satisfied, I ran my hand over my hair, I never combed or brushed it, just shook it into a vaguely acceptable mop. I kept it neat and short, easy maintenance. I found a clean hanky tucked it in my pocket and finding the house keys, left the room. As I walked out, their door opened fully and Claire came out. Her mouth crinkled and she couldn't hold herself in, she laughed, the glorious sound making me smile instantly. I swung and arm round her shoulder and we walked to the stairs. I hung back and let her walk down, following her about five stairs behind. We could hear the sound of Ezz singing softly in the kitchen.

When we went in, Ezz had organised coffee and toast, some fruit and preserves. We complimented her on organising breakfast, "Well someone has to look after the OAP's, it's like I'm the designated carer," her grin was infectious. Claire gave her a withering look before grinning as well. We sat and enjoyed breakfast, conversation light and stressless. After we finished, Claire said she had to go to her house, to check through her mail and sort out her finances. She also would have to check in to work and see what had come in. I said I'd organise lunch just give me a ten minute alarm so I could get it set out. Ezz wanted to go back with Claire, so I settled for a quiet morning, well what was left of it.

I tidied up and ran the vacuum cleaner round, dusting casually, using up my time productively. Taking my tablet I sat on the sofa and flicked through my mail, a bit of spam, a confirmation of an order, a joke from Robbie, just the usual. I dealt with it and closed the app. I looked at the time, nearly one o'clock. My phone chirruped and a banner appeared with Claire's name. Give me twenty it said. I stood and made my way to the kitchen. I busied myself with making lunch, and had just finished setting the table when the door opened and Claire and Ezz came in chatting animatedly.

"Morning campers, lunch is served." I swept my arm around the kitchen table and pulled out my chair.

"Wow Jim, this looks great," Ezz sat and gazed raptly at the spread.

"Jim, you spoil us," Claire sat and reached out to touch my hand. It was that bolt of lightening surging through me again. I smiled gratefully and slipped my fingers through hers. Ezz harrumphed and we slipped our hands apart. Claire reached for the bowl of tomatoes offering them to me, I took one and took the bowl from her, offering her in return, taking one she thanked me. I offered the bowl to Ezz, who took one and then the bowl, placing it back on the table. We proceeded like that until we had our choices packed on our plates. Ezz looked round the table. "Jim, please do you have any mayonnaise?" I looked at her aghast, how could I forget the mayonnaise.

"I'm sorry Ezz, I completely forgot to get it out, it's in the fridge, I'll get it." I stood and went to get it, Placing the pot in front of her as I sat back down, I touched her shoulder in apology. She shook her head and grasped my hand as I sat. "Thanks Jim, you're very kind." She opened the pot and scooped a load onto her plate. Claire was quietly waiting and so as I sat she began to slice up her food and eat. "Jim, I've a load of washing due to finish, can I borrow your tumble dryer, then I don't have to keep going backwards and forwards." I nodded, "That's fine, just bring it round, it's pretty easy to work, even I can do it." Ezz laughed as she built an enormous sandwich.

I watched Ezz in awe, as she moved a half of the triple decker sandwich she'd built up to her mouth, then clamped a chunk in her jaws tearing it off. I half turned to Claire, who sat mouth open appalled at her daughter. The juxtaposition of their faces was too much, I laughed out loud, but felt a slap on my arm as Claire's temper rose. I stopped and tried to look as stern as I could. Ezz gave us a "Whatever" look and chomped away at the lump in her mouth. Claire was biting her tongue, I could feel the heat as her temperature rose. I took her hand and held it tightly, she glanced at me and relaxed. Without words I somehow told her to go easy, Ezz was young and vulnerable, she was on a roller coaster at the moment, up and down. "Let's just enjoy being here together," I said, Claire nodded and squeezed my hand.

It was a glorious feeling, I held on to her for what seemed ages. Ezz looked at us a smile lighting up her face. "You guys not hungry, shame after all Jim's efforts." She raised the sandwich and took another chunk off; it was not quite as large as the first chunk, so that it failed to cause her cheeks to bulge out like the first one. "We need to talk young lady, about your appetite and your eating habits." Claire had spoken in a low, even tone, although the import wasn't lost on Ezz. "OK Mum, I'll try to be more ladylike," Claire nodded a thank you. She looked at our hands and with regret on her face, slipped her fingers out of mine. Returning to her lunch she delicately picked at the meal, popping small portions into her mouth to chew with minimal effort.

We ate silently and on finishing Ezz asked to be excused, Claire nodded and she hopped out of her chair. Without being asked she began to clear the table, stacking the dishwasher and putting things back in the fridge. This improved Claire's mood immediately and as she finished, a few notes of song escaped her lips. She stood and went to the door, "Just off to get the washing," she smiled and turned away. The way she walked and her hair bounced was such a sight to behold. Ezz must have spotted me as she wolf whistled and embarrassed me again.

Claire turned, but Ezz had slipped out of sight so I was left looking slightly red-faced as she wagged a finger at me then continued on. Ezz came back and nudged me with her hip. "You like my mummy don't you Jim?" It was a more a statement than a question. "You little minx you know I do." I retorted and slapped her bottom. Jumping back she roared with laughter again. Since their arrival life had just got sweeter and sweeter. The very beautiful mother and adorable child had made my life worth living again.

Claire returned with a large plastic basket full of washing, so I showed her to the utility room and left her to it. She returned ten minutes later, "I like your balls," she said and raised an eyebrow, I blushed again, "In the tumble dryer, the spiky plastic ones, to help with drying," she explained. I cottoned on, Molly and I had read about this and bought these hard spiky plastic balls, they were said to make the washing dry better and faster. I nodded as I remembered, "Yes they do seem to work. Everything OK?"

"Hmm it depends what you mean by OK?"

"Are you OK? Is there anything I can do?"

'Lend me a million quid, make me a better person, sort out my life, all the above."

"Talk to me Claire, what can I do?"

"Do you have time for a long story?" She sat next to me on the sofa.

"For you, I have as much time as you need."

"I don't deserve you Jim, you're such a good man, why didn't I meet you instead of Ted?"

"Because I wasn't around in your formative years."

"The only good thing that came out of Ted and me was Ezz. For having her here, I'd go through it all again."

"She's a wonderful girl, you should be proud of her."

"I am, very; me not so much."

"I don't want to pry Claire, but if telling me what happened helps you, then I'm here and I'll listen."

She sighed and folded her legs under her and leaned into me, resting her head on my shoulder.

"If you have time Jim, can I tell you what happened and why I felt so overwhelmed?"

"Talk to me Claire," I brushed a strand of hair off her face, suddenly our lips were meeting as she turned in towards me, my arms circling her back pulling her close. We lip synced for a while, mouths opening, tongues tangling. She pulled back and placed her hands flat on my chest, holding me off. "Wow, that was unexpected, I'm sorry to stop you, but I want to talk to you and I need to do this before we get carried away." I sat back and took her hands gently folding them in mine. Claire sat back and smiled, have I mentioned how I love that smile.

She then told me about her and Ted and how her life fell apart. Claire was a twin, she had a sister Chloe, they were not identical in looks and were also like chalk and cheese, in temperament, mannerisms and taste. Where Claire was serious and sober, never ever pushing the boundaries; Chloe was whimsical and extrovert, forever lurching from crisis to crisis, falling back on their parents to haul her out of yet another scrape. Theirs was an almost idyllic upbringing, however, with loving supportive parents. They had both, excelled at school, in the arts, sports and music; especially music. They sang together outside school too, earning money by singing at pubs and clubs, as young teenagers. They enjoyed close harmony singing, old Beatles and Everly Brothers standards. They were quite successful, earning regular spots and attracting a small but loyal following.

Both had chosen to go the same university, which was where Claire met Ted. It was at a pub in town singing with Chloe that she had first met Ted. Soon she realised he was attending most of their gigs. She had accepted his invitation for a drink on a non performing night and they had clicked and soon became an item. This was much to Chloe's chagrin, she kept telling Claire she could do better than him. Finishing and earning a two-two, Chloe returned home, whilst Claire, with a two-one, moved in with Ted. After a few months he proposed so they had married in her home town and Chloe was obviously the chief bridesmaid. She had famously got off with the Best Man in a drunken night of passion, although the affair was short lived and was a source of merriment when brought up, to Chloe's obvious and eternal distaste. Life had moved on and soon Claire was pregnant with Ezz and Ted was working long days and helping around the house as much as he could.

The birth had been fairly easy, but the effect of having a newborn to care for during the following years had them both on the edge. They struggled with coping with the new baby, new parents have no guide books or prior knowledge; they had conflicting advice from all sides and were unable to reasonably assess and sift the sea of helpful tips being passed on. They had moved away from each other, by now not having had any physical connection in over eighteen months. This had been ostensibly because of the need to establish the best routine with Ezz, both knew that simply the magic was diminishing, and once tarnished soon began fading.