The Sky Kingdom Ch. 24

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

We exited the settlement, passing some inebriated guards, which made our whole mission much easier. We took the main road away before leaving it and doubling back under the cover of darkness. We circled around the back of the large bastion, and I realised we had quite a predicament as the sheer walls of the fort sat atop an extremely steep grassy hill that was impassible and without climbing rope.

Despite that initial problem, my heart thumped with relief at the sight of a white blanket leaning out of one of the windows, and we dismounted and led the horses into position.

"Henry, is that you?" I heard the distinctive whisper of the Captain who was leaning out the window."

"Yes, but how do we get you all down?"

I needn't have asked as a long white rope made of what I realised were sheets dropped from the window to the ground. Before I could exclaim in surprise, a flustered-looking Celeste appeared at the window with a silver rope around her waist. She immediately began to do the precarious task of lowering herself, but her weight seemed mostly held by the silver rope.

As she reached the bottom, Emily drew her into a quick hug of relief, and they both undid the silver rope, which turned out to be rolled-up dresses tied together.

The silver rope disappeared back up the wall, and in no time, Tam's determined figure appeared and began to descend far faster.

"Harry, it's her!" Emily whispered beside me as she took my hand fiercely.

Her grip tightened up until the moment that Tam touched the ground, and Emily unleashed herself on her best friend, latching onto her in a desperate hug as tears spilt from both their eyes. They both quietly balled their eyes out and clung to each other, and my heart lurched at their reunion.

My eyes turned to look up as the Captain used the two ropes to slide himself down with surprising dexterity, and I looked on with amazement when he lightly touched the ground.

He was all calm determination until his eyes fell on the tearful reunion and I saw a flash of guilt on his face. Still looking to keep quiet, I handed him the reigns to the larger mare, which he took with a nod of thanks.

"We must leave now," I whispered to the group while I mounted the other mare.

"I can't ride," Celeste's small voice announced, looking guilty.

"Well, I'll ride with the Captain," Tam announced unexpectedly with a similar determination to him, and she stepped into his personal space in a move I hadn't expected. The Captain seemed surprised but not unhappy, and he almost imperceptibly drew her to him as it became obvious something had happened between them.

"I'll take the gelding then," Emily added and jumped up into the saddle with practised ease. This left the awkward moment where Celeste looked up at me with worry, but she relaxed when I reached out with my hand and drew her onto the saddle behind me.

"Just slip your hands around my chest and hold on tight," I whispered back and led the party away at a slow walk on a long route outside the fort. Once we were a safe distance away, I picked up the pace, and in a short time, we approached the clearing.

"Halt. Who goes there?" A loud, clear voice shouted.

"Captain Grey and entourage, Corporal." The Captain replied before a trio of guards appeared from a hideaway in the tree line.

They quickly led us through the trees to the clearing and my mother's Yacht, surrounded by the glow of her outer lamps.

"Is that an actual Sky ship?" Celeste asked me from behind, "I've only ever seen the giant ones in the sky!"

"This one is more a Yacht we are borrowing," I replied, not adding that it was my family's ship.

"We are flying in that?" She said from behind in obvious awe.

"It's not safe to go by land at the moment. But we must return to my mother's estate before heading to the capital."

There was a moment of silence before I heard a soft whisper.

"Who are you?" She asked in a somewhat concerned tone.

"You will find out sooner or later. I am Henry of House Carrara." I replied while steering the horse towards the Yacht.

"Carrara? As in the Dukes of Carrara?" She asked in shock.

"Something like that," I replied, pleased that she didn't recognise that I was a prince. It made things too awkward sometimes.

As we dismounted, Emily flung herself from her horse and buried herself in Tam's arms, who had only just been helped to the ground by the Captain.

"Tam, come with me, and I'll show you my cabin." She declared, excited to see her friend and relieved she was obviously not badly hurt.

"Em, please take Celeste with you and find something more appropriate for you all to wear. It is far too cold to be wearing what you are."

Once they'd left, I became aware of the agitated state the Captain now seemed to be in.

"Captain, would you care to explain why you seem so agitated?" I asked, after gesturing for him to join me in a more private spot.

"Forgive me, your highness. But I have dishonoured my oaths to you." He declared after dropping to one knee in obvious deference.

"What do you mean?" Is asked, concluding that something must have happened last night.

"With Lady Tamara. I was supposed to protect her, but instead, I-I dishonoured her." He said, sounding deeply hurt.

"Are you saying that you slept together?" I asked.

"Yes. I don't know what came over me."

"Tell me what happened," I ordered a little more sternly than I wanted.

"When I arrived in her room, I was led to a waiting area and served a sweet-tasting wine that went straight to my head." The Captain explained.

"The next thing I knew, a breathtakingly beautiful woman was led into the room in obvious discomfort. I tried to undo her bounds as they had her arms tightly bound to her back, but she begged me to take care of her discomfort. I took control and managed to release her, and she immediately pulled up her skirts and tried to alleviate her problem." He continued as diplomatically as he was able.

"They used an ointment on Emily and Celeste as well," I added, "it made them desperate to be touched. You didn't do anything wrong."

"I haven't explained things fully yet," he replied solemnly, "I tried my best to give her some privacy, but her attention wasn't enough. She begged me to help her, and I'm not sure what came over me, but I couldn't stop myself, and I dishonoured her greatly."

"The wine you were given was likely dosed. It was designed to make you behave in that way!" I added, and he looked up at me in shock.

"What do you mean?"

"That you weren't fully in control of your actions, and neither was Tam. You were both victims of circumstance and some strong drugs."

"Nonetheless. I must do right by her and marry her." He responded, still lost.

"You are aware that she is a slave. You are not required to defend her honour."

"She is a kind and intelligent woman. It matters not her station. I must free her and make her my wife." He replied clearly and confidently in his decision.

"Let me speak with her, and I will discuss your plan," I replied, appreciating that the Captain felt lost with his perceived honour in question.

I left him to head into the Yacht and felt Emily coming my way. As I turned the corner, I saw her concerned look, and she took my hand and pulled me into one of the guest cabins."

"What's wrong, Em?" I asked.

"It's about what happened to Tam. She feels awful!" She replied quietly.

"The Captain does as well. He feels like he's dishonoured her terribly."

"What do you mean? Tam says she lost her mind and forced herself on a handsome and kind soldier. He was the perfect gentleman, and she made him do things he didn't want to do!"

I smiled at Emily, and she gave me an inquisitive look in response.

"They are both so worried about each other. Do you think they enjoyed themselves?" I asked.

She smirked at me.

"I think she loved every bit of it. She told me they kept going for multiple sessions!"

"But didn't the ointment wear off?"

"It lasted for a short while but not long enough for what they did! Can she become the Captain's slave? That way, she can stay near us." She finished in a rush and a vulnerable look.

"Em, he wants to make her his wife, not his slave!"

She dropped to her knees in delight.

"He's so perfect! But it's not like he can free her."

"Actually, under Carraran law, a free citizen marrying a slave is one of the only grounds to free a slave. But it's very unusual." I replied thoughtfully.

"Please, Harry, persuade him to marry her, and I'll help Tam. They can be close by, and she'll be free!" Emily added with tears in her eyes.

"Let's make a new couple then," I beamed back at her, and she latched her lips onto mine in a passionate kiss that I didn't want to end.

*************************************************************************************

I hope you enjoyed this latest chapter. Please rate and review!

Comments, good or bad, are excellent motivators and help me better understand the reader's feelings about the story's direction.

Please do feel free to send private feedback and I am always happy to respond.