The Square Peg

Story Info
Beautiful cop and sexy redhead find each other.
8.8k words
4.73
10.5k
20
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is not a wham bam, thank you ma'am story with sex during the first 750 words. I wanted to lay a lot of groundwork in this story so that our main character could tell her story the way it was intended. I hope you enjoy it. Please remember to rate and comment at the end.

No one under the age of 18 is engaged in any sort of sexual activity in this work of fiction. It is neither implied, inferred, suggested, nor endorsed by this author.

==========

Main Characters -

Teresa, also goes by TJ, 26 years old, 5'3", 115 lbs., 34B-22-34, shoulder length red hair, green eyes.

Katie, 25 years old, 5'6", 130 lbs., 34C-26-36, blonde hair halfway down her back, blue eyes.

==========

Have you ever heard of the expression "red headed stepchild"? I literally and figuratively felt like that growing up in a small town on the outskirts of Athens, Georgia. I was the middle child of five. My oldest sister Tonya, now 36, had brown hair and brown eyes. My older brother Thomas, now 30, had brown hair and brown eyes. I (Teresa), now 26, had red hair and green eyes. My younger brother Theo, now 24, had brown hair and brown eyes. Then there's my baby sister Tracy, now 22, who also had brown hair and brown eyes. Mom and Dad? YEP! You guessed it. They had brown hair and brown eyes.

I often got ridiculed for being the odd ball, the square peg in the round hole, the milkman's child. You name it. I took the brunt of every joke in the book. Mom and Dad were so perplexed about me having red hair and green eyes that they had a DNA test done. How humiliating. They also ordered ancestry kits from two different companies. Of course, the DNA test came back that I was, in fact, their daughter. They both had mixed reactions which really hurt my feelings. I cried just about every day and night for two weeks because they weren't as accepting of me as they were of my other siblings. I had to grow up knowing that I felt like they "tolerated" me, rather than treat me like their daughter.

When Mom and Dad reviewed the ancestry results with me, we discovered that I had two great-great aunts with red hair and green eyes, a great-great-great grandmother with red hair and green eyes, and a great-great-great uncle with red hair and green eyes. It turned out that our family, for the most part, originated in Ireland. Our family also had roots in England and Scotland as well. For me, personally, I felt like it was a moral victory. However, that was short lived because they didn't seem to accept the red hair and green eyes as being part of the family's lineage.

Growing up, my brothers had their own bedroom and we girls had our own. Tracy and I had bunk beds, I on the bottom and she on the top while Tonya had a twin bed on the other side of our bedroom. My siblings all had their own groups of friends and I mostly stayed to myself. A lot of their friends referred to me as square peg or milkman's baby. I truly felt like a complete outsider and often played by myself. I couldn't wait until I became an adult so I could get the fuck out of the literal hell I felt like I was living in.

Going into high school, I had made the decision that I wanted out of "Hicktown USA" and wanted better things and a better situation for myself. I threw myself into my books and was determined to be the scholar in the family. I didn't care if anyone was going to be proud of me or not. I did it for MYSELF. My hard work and dedication paid off. I was in the top 5 of my class each year in high school and I had colleges writing me and asking me to come for a visit. Mom and Dad thought it was a waste of time and effort. I can still hear Dad yelling after downing his fifth Budweiser on the front porch on a Friday night. In his gruff beer infused, chain smoking cigarette inhaling (to the point it looked like he was smoking a joint) voice, I could hear it play over and over -

"College is a waste of money. You'll have student loans until you're 50. And, for what? A job that pays you less than the tuition? I call bullshit."

I bet I heard him repeat that phrase a hundred times while I was in high school. And it always seemed like it was on a Friday night. It was always after the Budweiser and he was ALWAYS on the front porch when he would give me the college, waste, student loans, blah blah blah blah blah. I wanted so much to shove one of them beer cans right up his ass sideways.

My senior year came and I had just turned 18. My oldest sister, Tonya, was shacked up with some guy a few miles from the house and they were on baby number three. My older brother, Thomas, was living in an apartment in the next town over and working as a mechanic at a car dealership. My two younger siblings were still in school. Me? I had plans. I decided it was best not to divulge any information to anyone because I didn't want anyone trying to talk me out of what I wanted to do. I had my mind made up and I was going to follow through.

Graduation day came and I was happier than I had been since I was a child. My life and my circumstances were about to change in just a matter of a few short days and I was excited about it. I was also nervous because I was so afraid that someone would find out about my plans and try to derail me from achieving my goals. I had applied, been accepted, and offered full academic scholarships to no less than 28 major universities across the country. I had also taken the ASVAB tests my junior year in high school and was eligible to join all of the military service branches. I was like a kid in a candy store, able to pick any flavor of candy I wanted. The buffet of happiness I was seeking was on the other side of me walking across the stage and getting my high school diploma in my hands. No longer did the little red headed, green eyed oddball have to concern herself with what people said or thought about her.

There was no major fanfare the evening I graduated from high school. Mom and Dad made a big deal out of Tonya and Thomas graduating by throwing a big cookout for them at the lake. Celebrating my graduation consisted of Mom and Dad taking me to McDonald's, just the three of us. I don't think I had ever been so insulted in my entire life. Here I was, 18 years old, and I still was the same person that didn't fit in, the same person seeking acceptance, and the same person who wanted to be loved and reassured that she was loved. For 18 years I had never heard my Dad utter the words "I love you", not even once. I could count on ONE HAND how many times I had heard Mom tell me she loved me. We ate. Actually Mom and Dad gobbled their burgers down like they hadn't eaten in months. I took four bites of my burger, ate six fries, and drank half my soda. I just wanted to go home to the safe haven of my bunk bed and cry myself to sleep.

"Operation Teresa's Freedom" was about to take full effect. The next morning, I asked Mom if I could borrow her car. I told her I needed to go to Walmart and pick up some personal things. She said "Sure" and I bounded out the door with some pep in my step because I knew I was only a few short hours away from getting to do what I wanted to do in order to be happy. Before I went to Walmart, I had to take a detour into Athens to see my Uncle Vince, Mom's younger brother, and Aunt Lisa, his wife.

For some reason, Uncle Vince and Aunt Lisa treated me better than my own Mom and Dad when I was growing up. I loved spending time with them, especially during the summer months. I actually felt like I belonged, like I was part of something, like I was actually loved, when I was with them. We always told each other we loved each other and I so desperately wished they had been my actual Mom and Dad when I was growing up. We had such a good time together and I cherished every minute I had with them. I pulled up in the driveway and they came to the front door to greet me. I gave them both a big hug and told them I needed to talk to them. Vince could tell my tone was pretty serious so he suggested we go inside to the living room and have a seat.

We walked in and I took a seat in the recliner next to the sofa where Uncle Vince and Aunt Lisa were sitting. He initiated the conversation -

"What's going on TJ?" That was the nickname he gave me when I was a little girl. Teresa Jane were my first and middle names so he shortened it to TJ. I loved when he and Aunt Lisa called me that.

"Uncle Vince, Aunt Lisa, I need to ask you for two favors. Well, actually, I need your permission for one and the other is actually a favor."

"Sure, go ahead." He replied.

"TJ, we would do anything for you that wasn't illegal." Aunt Lisa said.

"So, I am gonna just come right out and say it. I joined the Air Force. I leave tomorrow for basic training. Part of the paperwork is assigning a beneficiary on my military life insurance in case anything happens to me. Uncle Vince, with your permission, I want you to be the primary, and Aunt Lisa, I want you to be the secondary."

I could see the tears forming in both their eyes.

Uncle Vince spoke, "What about all those scholarship offers to all those colleges?"

I answered, "Those will be there after I finish my commitment. I want to get out of here. I want to travel. I want to see the world. I will have free medical, dental, and vision coverage. The pay will be pretty good. I will get to travel on the military's dime. I don't have any bills at all, other than my cell phone bill, so I'll be able to save a lot of money."

He held out his right hand and I reached for it with my left hand. He pulled me to him and Aunt Lisa so that I was in both their laps and they hugged me tightly.

Aunt Lisa said, "TJ, the world awaits you and we will support you no matter what. You've always been like a daughter to us and that won't ever change."

I smiled at her and then kissed her on the cheek.

Uncle Vince chimed in, "You said there was a favor in there somewhere too?"

"Yes, Uncle Vince, can I spend the night here tonight? I need for you to take me to the recruiters office in downtown Athens tomorrow. He is driving me to the airport so I can fly to San Antonio for basic training. I need to pack a small carry on bag. I'm gonna tell Mom and Dad I'm staying here for a few days. They won't be any wiser to the truth. And truth be told, I don't want them to know."

Vince replied, "OK, I can pick you up around 6 PM. Is that good?"

"Yes sir."

I hugged them both and left to go to Walmart to pick up a few things. I went home and told Mom and Dad I was staying with Uncle Vince and Aunt Lisa for a few days. They seemed OK with it. What they didn't know was that would be the last time they would see me for a very long time.

I went to my bedroom and packed my bag. Inside one of the outside zip pouches was a letter I had written to Mom and Dad. It was in a stamped envelope. I would mail it to them on the way to the airport the next day.

==========

FAST FORWARD TO EIGHT YEARS LATER

==========

Dropping that letter to Mom and Dad in the stamped mail slot at the post office in Athens was the most stress relieving feeling in the world. I felt like the weight of a hundred 18 wheelers had been lifted off my shoulders. Before we started basic training, we were told to call or text our loved ones and tell them when we would have access to our cell phones. I immediately texted Uncle Vince and Aunt Lisa and told them. During basic training, we were only allowed to have our cell phones for four hours on Sundays after the first two weeks. When I was finally able to access my phone, there was a text from Uncle Vince -

"Your Dad came by after he checked the mailbox. He wasn't even upset that you had left. He just thanked me for being kind to you. He didn't say anything else. Just got in his car and left."

I responded back and told him and Aunt Lisa that I loved them. They responded with an "I Love You". I told them I would call them the following Sunday so we could chat for a while.

There was also another text from my oldest sister, Tonya - "I wish I would have done what you did. Bobby and I split up so I gotta take his ass to court for child support. Good luck in all that you do sis." I didn't answer her. I didn't think it was wise since she and I were never that close anyway.

There were no text messages or missed calls from Mom or Dad. I guess it was just better that way.

During my eight years in the Air Force, I had been all over the world - Italy, Florida, Texas, California, Hawaii, Japan, South Korea, Washington DC, and South Carolina. I was an Information Technology (IT) Specialist and, eventually, Manager. While I was on active duty, I was able to take online courses and I got my Master's degree in Information Technology. I had decided that, going into my eighth year in the Air Force, I wanted to expand my horizons beyond active duty so I started submitting resumés to various companies around the United States. I still wanted to serve in the reserves so that I could retire with full benefits down the road.

Only two short weeks passed before I received a response from the senior civilian liaison officer at one of the Air Force installations in Florida. I told him what my plans were and he told me that the job would be waiting for me as soon as I separated from active duty.

A few days after my separation from active duty and signing my reserve duty commitment paperwork, I was on my way to Florida to settle in as an IT manager at the base. I found a nice two bedroom house about eight miles from the base and bought a new car. I got moved in and began the next chapter in my life. After a few months of being in the new position, I decided that the time was right to think about finding someone and starting a new relationship.

One of the hobbies I had picked up while I was in the Air Force was drawing and painting. It was such a stress reliever and felt good to draw and paint things that I had either looked at or had imagined in my mind. On one of my off days, I decided to go to the local park and do some pencil drawing. It was a very nice day. I threw on some jean shorts, my Metallica t-shirt, and my Hoka running shoes. I grabbed my sketch pad and some pencils. I packed a sandwich, some chips, fruit, and a couple of sugar free energy drinks in my insulated bag and headed out to find a nice shade tree to sit under in one of my foldable chairs.

I parked and found a nice spot under a tree that faced the water. The park was next to the harbor and I saw a boat that I wanted to draw. I had been drawing for about 45 minutes when a stray tennis ball followed by a beautiful golden retriever found their way to me. I then heard a female voice "Daisy, get the ball baby girl."

Well, Daisy seemed more curious about this new human she had run across because she just took a seat in front of me and looked at me with some curiosity. It was then that I met the lady the voice was attached to. I looked up and saw a blonde haired, blue eyed beauty. Her figure was striking and she was absolutely gorgeous. The shorts and shirt she had on accented her shape and her well defined legs. She was breath taking.

"Sorry about that. She usually just grabs the ball with her mouth and comes back to me. But, she didn't. She has only done what she's doing once before. I'm Katie, by the way." She extended her hand to shake mine.

"What do you mean? I'm Teresa. I go by TJ." I reached out and shook her hand.

"Daisy reads aura. Like most goldens, she picks up on the vibe someone puts out and she likes your vibe. That's the reason she is still sitting there looking at you."

"WOW! I never knew."

Katie looked down at my sketch pad and looked out at the boat I was drawing. "That's really good. Are you an artist?"

"Nah. This is just a hobby I do in my spare time. I work over at the base as an IT Manager. I'm in the Air Force reserves now."

"Well, listen, it was nice meeting you. Daisy and I need to run. Gotta do some grocery shopping. As long as the weather is nice, she and I usually come here to the park so she can get some good exercise. I live in those apartments a few blocks down (she pointed down the street to the apartments on the northwest side of the park)."

"Nice meeting you too. Take care. Bye Daisy. It was nice meeting you too girl." I leaned forward to kiss Daisy on the forehead and she responded by licking my right cheek.

I watched them walk away and thought to myself that Katie was nice. Watching her walk away, I also thought she had a cute butt in the shorts she was wearing.

Three weeks went by before I saw Katie again. I hadn't been back to the park because I had other things going on and errands to run on the weekends. It was a Monday morning and I had awakened a little early. I'm not sure why. I was just feeling restless. I couldn't put my finger on it but my nerves and emotions were going in a million different directions. I went into the garage and got on to my bicycle. I grabbed my helmet and reflective vest, mounted my full water bottle on the frame, and made sure the bright headlight and tail light on my bike were fully charged. I decided to go for a ride. Six miles into the ride, I found myself in front of Starbucks. I was only four miles from home so I decided to stop for a coffee. I could drink my coffee on the outdoor patio and trek home to shower before work. I still had two hours.

I sat on the patio drinking my coffee and a police car pulled up. I was scrolling through my phone checking out the latest local and national news when I heard a familiar voice.

"Hey TJ."

I looked up and saw Katie again. She was in uniform. She was a cop. Not just any cop. But a damn HOT cop! I don't know what made me do what I did next. I stood up and walked over to her and hugged her.

"Hey Katie. It's nice to see you again."

"And you too TJ." She hugged me back with the same firmness with which I hugged her.

"What brings you out so early this morning?"

"Couldn't sleep so I decided to go bike riding and my need for caffeine brought me here."

"Can't live without the caffeine either, I see?"

We both laughed. To that point in my life, I had never been physically attracted to a female but, in that moment, I envisioned spending time with her, getting to know her, and maybe............................hhhmmmmmmmmmm.

"If you you have some time, let me order my coffee and I will come out and join you before I start my shift, if that's ok."

"Sure Katie. I would like that."

She came out with her coffee and took a seat near me in one of the chairs to my left. I found out Katie had been a Florida girl all her life. She went to college and majored in Criminal Justice and had been a police officer for three years. I also found out that she had been single for almost two years. She and her ex-boyfriend split up because, as she put, they had outgrown each other. They had started dating when they were both 15.

I gave her a brief synopsis of my life, leaving out the shitty childhood part, and told her about my dating life. In high school, I really didn't have one. In the Air Force, I dated a couple of guys but nothing serious ever came out of either relationship.

After about 30 more minutes of chatting each other's ears off, Katie announced she needed to report for work and I told her I needed to go home to shower and change for work as well. We stood up and hugged.

"Katie, want to exchange numbers? Maybe we can have lunch or dinner sometime? Maybe hang out?" I nervously asked.

"I would like that a lot TJ." Katie smiled back.

We put our contact info in each other's phones and hugged again. I walked her to her car.

"Bye Katie. Be safe out there."

"Thanks TJ. Be careful biking home."

We smiled and waved and I watched her drive away. It was then that I noticed I was wet. No. I was VERY WET!!!!!!! I was just glad that my riding shorts were black and it was still a little dark outside. Otherwise, someone with a keen eye would have seen the wet spot in the crotch. I threw my empty coffee cup in the trash can and hopped on my bike. I could tell my clit was aroused because I could feel the seat on my bike massaging it. I knew I was going to need some relief as soon as I got home.