The Summer of '78 Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He picked you up, and insisted Kara and I come with him. He carried you to the Shack with us following along like his puppies, wondering if he was going to kill all of us, or what! Then he put you to bed, sent us to our beds, and we slept until we heard him moving around this morning. We each had a glass of water and a bottle of Alka Seltzer sitting on the nightstand, and after we drank that, we went in to face him.

He made us sit down and tell him 'what the hell has been going on', as he put it. He's so imposing, and we had watched him rescue you, so we felt we had no choice: we told him everything."

Barbara Ann had been nervously listening, and her blush had been deepening; now it turned purple! She was recollecting how closely she danced with Adrian Thursday night, the way she reacted to the girls' hands in the car, and... surely they didn't tell him about the exercise room!

She had done so many things the last few days that she wouldn't have done in front of him... and isn't that the test? She felt horrible about her actions, but they had said what they had said and it couldn't be unsaid, so she pivoted to look at her husband.

That made six eyes looking at Caelan.

"That's the stopping point of part one of our 'talk'. I'm confident that what Lauren and Kara told me is the truth, but only you three know if it's the whole truth.

We still need to discuss why you were with Theo in the first place, and what Darrell saw when you were sandwiched between Theo and Adrian on the back patio, but we'll save those topics for a more private setting.

In any case, Chief Deputy Ramos was by earlier to pick up the brownies and the glasses you were drinking from last evening. The lab will analyze the ingredients of the brownies and the residue from the drinks, and then law enforcement will decide what actions to take. Personally, I have no doubt all of you were drugged, but we'll let it play out before... well, before I decide what actions are called for on my part.

The next thing is much more concerning. When he came by, Deputy Ramos informed me that your European friends -- Bridgette, Hans, and Ernst are out of prison. They were released yesterday on appeal of the drug, blackmail, and child pornography charges. Their release was based on their claim that law enforcement and the district attorney failure to inform them of their right to be counseled and assisted by their respective embassies prior to the trials.

They pled poverty due to all their clothing, jewelry, and equipment being confiscated by law enforcement, so, believe it or not, they were released on their own recognizance!

The DA is aghast, and he believes the Fifth Circuit Court will overturn the ruling, but, for the meantime, they are free.

Why is that such a concern? Because a couple of snitches -- one in the men's prison and the other in the women's -- say they constantly talked about getting revenge when they got out.

They certainly know about the Shack, and our home address is in the phone book, so we have to assume they know that too.

We need to start taking precautions and be watchful. I've already notified the head of security at the company and asked him for local references. I'll hire someone as soon as I can, but our security is really up to us.

Turning away from that, an important part of our talk will be me trying to learn from you, and your friends over there, what made you so vulnerable. Once we talk that out, we can do about keeping that from happening in future situations.

The rest of our conversation will occur when I more fully understand the situation.

Understand this, Barbara Ann McLaughlin Kelly -- I'm not pleased by what I've learned about your actions this week, and you aren't getting off as easily as it may seem, right now, but I have other, more pressing priorities.

The first is, show me the addition."

***

Caelan was hopeful but fearful; he knew his obsession with keeping the 'Beach Shack' pristine was borderline unhealthy, but the feeling was powerful. He had purposefully brought everyone up the front stairs last night, and he hadn't gone beyond the original structure this morning. He wanted Barbara Ann, who had been given very strict limitations, to show him the addition and explain her reasoning. He expected to be disappointed, if not furious with his wife, because she had a hard head herself and she liked luxury. Homes, okay; but 'Beach Shacks' should not be luxurious, and that was that!

His wife was also hopeful but fearful; she steeled herself and led him by the hand to the former closet door on the northwest end. It opened onto a long hallway leading west. The walls of the hallway were painted a color complementary to the interior walls of the Shack, and the hallway was brightly lit. It culminated in a doorway at the other end. His first impression was 'Okay, I like this.'

She opened the door to the laundry room and let him look around. It was bright, well-organized, and made good use of the limited space. Across the hall, they visited the mini-kitchen; again, it was bright, well organized, and welcoming.

The 'His and Hers' offices came next; hers was a bit much, but his was absolutely perfect! In fact, he couldn't have designed it better; he gave her a kiss on her head and told her it was perfect! She beamed and squeezed his hand.

He liked the dual bedrooms with baths, and appreciated that the bath at the end of the hall was easily accessed from outside, which would be helpful when they hosted parties and barbeques out there. He could easily imagine staying in one of the hall bedrooms when they hosted and chaperoned mixed groups of boys and girls, and said so. Barbara Ann glowed with pride.

It was the dual bunkhouses, however, that knocked him out! He could envision their daughter and her friends in the girls' half, and their sons' and their friends in the other, each with their own bathroom and shower. She had raised the number who could stay here and sleep on beds from six to twenty-two, counting new bedrooms and the bunks!

The Beach Shack could now host his parents and siblings, her parents, Peggy and Gary, and all the kids and grandkids! Yet he could find nothing out of character in the addition!

He had mostly kept a neutral face and demeanor throughout the tour, concerned to the end that she would uncover something terrible. He turned to his wife, who had a tentative and questioning smile, as if she needed desperately to hear his feelings expressed.

"I gave you very strict limitations when I agreed to this project, and, frankly, I've had second thoughts every day since; you do have a way of exceeding my limitations, as we both know.

This, however, is... it is... well, it's amazing, Princess!

I never envisioned you designing something this practical, something that not only matched, but also added to what makes The Shack special! Thank you, my love, thank you! You are a genius!"

Caelan picked her up and twirled her around; she squealed in delight. He held her close and whispered to her; she hugged him as tightly as possible, but then backed off and said, "That will be an excellent reward, and I can hardly wait, but I really want to show you the ground floor revisions too before we... go take a nap!" He set her down with a smile, and she led him down the hall and stairs.

The workout facility was a little much, but he couldn't find anything to actually criticize; the equipment was excellent, the placement just as he would have done it, and it allowed room for her types of dance and gymnastics exercise and his martial arts training. It even had his big boxing bag suspended from the beams! So what if it was air-conditioned and heated? Was that even a bad thing?

The storage room that held the freezer and all his outdoor cooking equipment was spacious and well organized, and the concrete patios for cooking and feeding people were better set ups than he had ever imagined. She obviously had a knack that he lacked for seeing 'what could be', and he had never identified and acknowledged that part of her. He would fix that, and be more observant and involved in her sudden flights of fancy about how things could be improved.

Caelan realized at that moment that he also had not been giving his wife sufficient credit for her savvy, planning and organizing abilities, and understanding of what makes her hubby tick. He vowed to, temporarily at least, set aside his personal pique at her stumbles while he was gone, and show her just how much he missed her and how much she meant to him.

First, a few more practical matters. "Let's go back upstairs and talk a little more. I could use another cup of coffee, I have some questions, and then we're walking over to help Darrell and the kids hoist The Dunes Bar, Grill, and Danceland sign!"

With a fresh cup of coffee in hand, they returned to the living room. Barbara Ann let Caelan sit, then plopped in his lap and curled up with her ass between his legs and her legs hanging over the arms of his chair. She was confident she could quell any anger he might show when they answered his questions by wiggling around in his lap; after all, it had been as long for him as for her!

The three women were expecting to be grilled about the events involving Barbara Ann, but Caelan surprised them. "Kara, Lauren, you said you're down her on vacation; where do you work and what do you do?"

His question surprised them; their answers surprised him. Kara had a BA in Business from UT-Austin and served as office manager for one of the largest construction companies in the region. Lauren had a BA in accounting from UTSA and was a CPA. Both had graduated Cum Laude.

'So much for judging women on their looks', Caelan thought.

Barbara Ann said it out loud. "So you two look like models but you're honors graduates with professional jobs? No wonder you are so intimidating... and no wonder I like you so much!"

"Not as much as we like you, Barbara Ann!" Kara rejoined, before asking, "Okay, Caelan, what's with the questions about our resumes?"

"There MIGHT be opportunities for the right persons with my company in the near future. If things go as planned, we should be opening an office in Corpus Christi very soon. You both seem bright and personable, so I sought confirmation. Believe me, I didn't expect such perfect fits for a couple of our openings!

Does Office Manager or Director of Accounting sound like something either of you would be interested in?"

They looked at each other, passed some signal, and Kara asked, "Who would be our boss?"

"Most likely, I would. Is that a deal breaker?"

"Would we still get to be friends with your wife?" Lauren asked.

"That's an added benefit you bring. I probably won't be gone for such long periods of time, but my new position will require travel, and quite a bit of travel to Venezuela for the first year or so. Without making this little thing sitting on my lap seem less strong and capable than she is, she does better when she had friends around. Paula and Judy moving so far away took that from her, and she hasn't found anyone to replace them... until you showed up.

There would only be one stipulation; if she gets so needy you have sex with her, I'd get the same treatment when I return."

He said it with a straight face and without any hint of teasing in his voice, which threw both the candidates and his wife. When she turned back to him with a puzzled frown he said, "What? That sounds fair to me!"

Barbara Ann pinched him and then swatted him on his arm; he laughed. Lauren and Kara caught on and began laughing loudly while his wife continued trying to hit him. "Ha! You have to wear me out before I'll consider that deal, and you know I'm totally a fuck bunny! Never gonna happen!"

"Okay, okay, I surrender and withdraw the stipulation! Now, the three of you need to get ready; you've got 20 minutes before I'm going to the bar!"

"Caelan, I already love that cute little bar, but why are you so adamant? Because it's close by, or because Darrell is manager?"

"Yes and no, Barbara Ann; because it's close, Darrell is the manager, and we own it."

Her jaw dropped; she looked thoughtful, and then she concluded, "No wonder the décor is all surfboards and football, there are pictures from around Port A, and I LOVE the music!

We lost the Dunes Danceland, so you built The Dunes Bar, Grill, and Danceland, right next to the Shack! Could I even love you more?" Turning to Lauren and Kara, she said, "See what I mean?" Each of them clutched their hearts.

Twenty minutes later the three attractive ladies were wearing short shorts and halter-tops with bare feet as they walked down the beach. Barbara Ann clung to Caelan's hand. That was partly because she was so glad to be with him, and partly because she was worried about returning to the scene of whatever crimes she committed in last night's daze.

About half way, she couldn't hold it any longer. "Caelan, I want to answer one of your questions, the one about Theo. Yes, I know how things were after the mess I made that night, and I want you to know that I DO NOT still have romantic feeling for him!

But I was lonely, and he brought back memories of that wonderful summer BEFORE I messed it up. Plus, he drives a fancy new convertible and I miss having one of my own, and he was so adamant about wanting to see you, apologize, and ask for forgiveness, and...I don't know! I just needed a friend, and he was here!

That may not be a good answer, but that's what happened! Please, forgive me?"

"Thank you for being honest. I have a few more questions, but we'll save those and go open our new Danceland and grill!"

When they came around the big dune into the opening, they saw that the supports were in place, a truck with an arm lift was ready, and Darrell and the staff were grouped up and waiting.

"Finally!" Darrell shouted when they entered the driveway. "We've been waiting forever!"

"Uh, we're ten minutes early!" Caelan said after making a production of looking at his watch.

"That's five minutes late for you, Bossman, but since you had to get three beauties here on time, I'll give you some credit! Good morning, ladies! How do we feel this fine morning?"

Lauren and Kara laughed, and Kara replied, "Okay, now, after a quart of Alka Seltzer and a pot of coffee! You should not have overserved us, Sir!"

Darrell laughed and replied, "Methinks you were overserved somewhere else before you got here!"

When they drew close to him, Barbara Ann broke away from Caelan and walked right to Darrell. She stopped two feet away, put her hands on her hips, and gave him her pouty face, "You were mean to me last night! You wouldn't hug me and you kept calling me MRS!"

Darrell's grin was spectacular. "Why MRS. KELLY, I'm surprised you remember!"

"I don't remember much, but I remember that! What are you going to do to make it right?"

Still sporting a huge grin, he took her in his arms and proclaimed, "Now THAT is the Barbara Ann I remember. Don't wanta see any more of that troubled young lady from last night, ya' hear?" She nodded against his massive chest, and then he turned her loose.

"I'm sorry," she said contritely; he hugged her again briefly and said, "It's all good."

Caelan had continued on to the sign, letting them have a moment; he knew she needed it.

He turned to the staff and the two construction workers. "Y'all ready to hook it up and turn it around? I'm dying to see how it looks for real!"

With the crane arm halfway extended, there was just enough room to lift the large, rectangular sign off the ground and pivot it. The operator raised the crane arm so the sign was hanging just off the ground. Darrell, Caelan, and Barbara Ann turned it so the front was facing the gulf; the operator extended the arm until the sign was close to the deck on which it would be suspended. The others joined in to help steady the sign and center it on the reinforced part of the deck supports and railing. When it was properly aligned, they pushed it back against the 2" x 8" supports until the holes drilled in the boards were aligned with the bolts affixed in the supports of the sign.

The construction worker guided their efforts to stick the bolts in the holes, and when it was in place, hurriedly tightened the nuts until the washers were hand-tight against the back of the boards. He handed nuts and washers down to one of the staff members, who crawled behind the sign to hand tighten the nuts on the bolts of the lower supports. When the nuts were fully tightened with a wrench, everyone stepped back and took their first good look at the sign.

The Dunes Bar, Grill, and Danceland

Featuring Surf and REAL Rock and Roll Music

Special Section for Under 21

The sign featured small paintings of male and female surfers on top of waves too big for Port Aransas, body surfers, and beachcombers walking along pristine beaches with waves breaking around their feet and in sets further out. There was a football game with cheerleaders, twirlers, and dance teams, a basketball player shooting a jump shot, a volleyball player spiking a ball, a female sprinter, male and female tennis players, and a gymnast spinning through the air. Centrally featured was a couple sitting on the sand looking toward the water; the blonde man's arm is around the brunette woman's shoulders, and her arm is wrapped around his back.

Each person was colorfully attired, and each piece of equipment shown vibrantly. One of the cheerleaders looked a lot like Barbara Ann, one of the dancers was blonde and another was red-haired, and the football players looked like Danny, Marc, and Caelan.

"Wow! This is what you call an 'eye-catching' sign!" Kara exclaimed.

"Is this your idea?" Barbara Ann asked Caelan, "Because if it is, I need to reassess my opinion of your creativity! That 'sign' is a work of art!"

"I just thought of things that both relax people and make them passionate. Isn't that why you come to the beach? We want our place to be like that. Somewhere to go, relax, and also enjoy fun and excitement on vacation."

While they were talking, the construction workers unhooked and retrieved the cable and departed.

"Let's go inside," Caelan suggested, and started to the walkway. He waited for his wife, and the others waited for them.

Barbara Ann, Lauren, and Kara agreed that the bar and grill was even better when they were sober, and all three of them squealed when Caelan took them to the jukebox and played A1: Barbara Ann, by the Beach Boys! He drug Barbara Ann to the dance floor and danced around her while pointing when her name was sung; the other two girls and everyone else that was close joined in.

They kept him on the dance floor for Little Deuce Coup, Do it Again, and even Good Vibrations.

And then they were suddenly hungry!

The 'grill' on the sign was literally a grill, and it was open. The grilled main dishes were surf and turf: fish, shrimp, and/or garlic butter oysters; rib eye or sirloin steaks, fajitas; chicken breasts; and pork chops. All were served with salad and the two of the three vegetables of the day.

The other main dish options were Creole-style seafood gumbo, Jambalaya, Po Boys, crawfish/shrimp etouffee, or shrimp/crawfish boil, but a note on the menu said more soups would be available during the winter.

The dessert offerings were Creole Bread Pudding or Texas Sheet Cake, except Sunday when Peach Cobbler a la mode was added.

Meals were available from 11-2 and 5-8; otherwise, hamburgers, Po Boys, or hot dogs were your choices.

They each ordered something different for lunch, and then shared so everyone got a taste. They agreed it was all so delicious they couldn't pick a favorite.

Darrell brought the chef and the grill master in to meet them. The chef was a true Southeast Louisiana Cajun, and his accent and dishes proved it; the grill master was a central Texas native whose specialty was oak and mesquite grilled steaks, chops, and fajitas. Both were young, both loved to surf and fish, and both had signed two-year contracts.