The Ultimate Sacrifice Pt. 03

Story Info
What would you do if presented with immortality?
10.5k words
4.8
4.4k
9

Part 3 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 09/16/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Homer21stC
Homer21stC
136 Followers

First off, I want to apologize for taking so long with part three.I was struggling with the direction I wanted to take.This could have gone several ways.I get into something that, based on one's specific religious beliefs, could find offensive.I'm not trying to offend anyone, this is just a fictional story.Ifyou are offended, I'm sorry, maybe another story would be more suited for you.

Also, I had some formatting problems.My apologies to the administrators at Literotica.

For those who haven't read part one or two, I would strongly suggest it.

Also, I've had a strong debate, with myself, with how much attention I should pay to Bob and Josephine's relationship.I think I found a reasonable balance.

My intent is to finish the story in part four.I'll try to get it out sooner than part three.

As always, thanks for reading and for the kind comments.

The Ultimate Sacrifice - Part 02 -- Where we left off...

She led the group to another part of the lab with a viewing window. On the other side of the window was a sarcophagus and inside laid the body of a naked human man. He looked like he was asleep and in perfect condition. He was taller than me, maybe six feet four inches. He looked to be in his late twenties or early thirties. Brown hair, clean shaven face, but "Hollywood" handsome. Physically, the

only description that worked... he was ripped. Sculptured six pack and perfectly formed muscles. His "personal equipment" was impressive, but not obscenely large.

I asked Aphrodite the obvious question, "Who is that?"

Her answer, "Hopefully...you."

To be continued...

And Now... The Ultimate Sacrifice -- Part 03

Chapter twelve -- The Offer

"Would you care to elaborate?" I asked Aphrodite.

Zeus interjected, "Maybe we should all discuss this in a more secure location."

As I've said before, Zeus' suggestions were more edicts.

We adjourned to a room adjacent to the laboratory. There was nothing in the room. No chairs, no hologram stages, none of the comforts I had become accustomed too while on the Olympus. Apollo, Artemis, Hephaestus and Hades also joined us. Zeus eventually announced the room was secure.

I stood there waiting for someone to explain how that body, out there, was "hopefully" going to become me. Josephine stood by my side. I looked at her to see if she knew what was going on. She looked as clueless as I did.

Zeus finally spoke up, "We come by our extremely long lifespans naturally. We've always assumed we were immortal. Painfully, very painfully, we now know we can be killed. It may be very difficult to kill us, but Ares' death means we are, in fact, mortal beings. That realization has had a profound impact on how I look at life. I can only surmise it has affected each of us. No matter how long we live, we will either continue to grow, become complacent or wither away. We must fight to live. From that perspective, we are no different from you or any human. It's the type of life we choose to live that defines us. We can aspire to be good, succumb to evil or wallow somewhere in between."

He paused, like he was struggling to find the exact words.

"Character is the most under valued trait of all advanced civilizations. Science and technology does not truly separate us from other civilizations, character does. The best societies are honorable, honest, responsible, accountable, trustworthy, compassionate, humble, willing to help those who are in need and admit when they're wrong. They do not take advantage of those who are weaker, they help to make them stronger. It does not matter how advanced a society is, character is the defining trait. Of course, almost all intelligent beings only possess some but not all of these attributes. We, Olympians, have fallen very short of the mark, in the past. You, on the other hand, hold all these positive character traits and even one more. You're willingness to put everyone you care about before your own self interest. These traits are imbedded in your soul."

I started to disagree, but Zeus stopped me.

"We know you are too modest to accept how I am describing you. But know, all Olympians share in my assessment."

I looked around and saw each and every one nodding their agreement. That was a bit overwhelming.

Apollo spoke, "Bob, your disadvantage is from having to start over all the time because of your body's relatively short life expectancy. Aphrodite has found a potential solution. The vessel you just viewed will last forever. In addition, it is enhanced both physically and mentally. We believe it is completely indestructible. That vessel will allow you to achieve your full potential and beyond."

I asked an obvious question, "Just how do y'all propose to get me into that..how did you describe it...vessel?

Athena responded, "We want to transfer your soul into that body and bring it to life. It is the perfect body Bob. You will feel young, healthy and strong again. You'll never get sick, or feel physical pain. You will live forever to experience all that the universe holds in front of you."

Josephine asked what I was thinking, "What will happen to his current body?"

Aphrodite answered clinically, "We will transfuse all of Bob's blood into the new body, effectively encoding the new body with his DNA. Additionally we'll transfer the current information in your brain to his. This will be necessary for his soul to think this was the body it left. Bob's current body will immediately be destroyed, removing any confusion in the transfer process."

I looked horrified and Athena recognized this was probably not the best approach.

Athena spoke up, "Bob, I'm so sorry, Aphrodite should have never described it the way she just did." She shot Aphrodite a look that could kill the entire Persian army.

That didn't pacify me, "Was she wrong in her description of the process?"

Athena was visibly uncomfortable, "No she wasn't."

I was getting understandably upset, "So let me get this straight. Y'all want to kill me; put my soul in limbo, preventing it from reaching the light; while you transfer my blood from my current body to that thing in the other room. Then perform a backup of my brain like I was changing cell phone carriers. Once that's done, destroy my current body. Then Hades returns my soul, hopefully to the new and fucking improved me. If that doesn't work, then I'm really dead and reach the light, or get stuck in limbo for eternity. If it does work, I become Olympus' goddamn Frankenstein! Does that about fucking sum it up?"

Aphrodite looked really worried, "No...No, it's not like that at all! I am so very sorry you misunderstood my intentions."

Then Zeus started laughing. Everyone looked at him like he had finally lost his mind.

When he calmed down, "We have indeed found the right person. Any other, in the universe, would have jumped at the chance to be a powerful being, not to mention truly immortal. But not our Bob Davis. He accuses us of trying to turn him into a monster or at the very least... kill him."

I guess curiosity was eating at me, "So Dr. Frankenstein, what are the odds of success?" Apparently smart ass comes out when I'm pissed.

Now Aphrodite was visibly uncomfortable. She nervously rubbed her hands while she did some calculations in her mind. Interestingly, although it should have, this did not in any way detract from her sensuality.

Finally with her head down, "I can make the vessel match your DNA, I don't know if your soul will enter it."

Hades spoke, "I feel confident I can direct your soul to this body. Aphrodite will have to jump start his heart at the precise moment you enter. Whether the body or your soul accepts the new union, is the big question. You asked for odds of success, I give it 50/50, at best."

Aphrodite looked at Zeus, "Maybe this was a terrible idea."

I confessed to the group, "I've only loved three women, in this life. The first two were taken from me. I just found the third. I'm not ready to give up Josephine yet." I reached for her hand. She held it and gave it a little squeeze.

Hephaestus gave me a thumbs up.

Zeus provided another suggestion and we all know what that means. "Bob, you need time to think and also discuss with my youngest. We are here to answer any questions you have. No one will force you to do this. But understand, our intention is not to create a monster, but to welcome you into our community as one who greatly deserves to live as an Olympian. I will be available, anytime, if you wish to talk."

In the next instant Josephine and I were standing in her villa. Just us, no committee of Olympians to accompany us. She hugged me expressing her intensity, uncertainty, fear and love. I hugged her back with equal emotion.

Chapter thirteen - Deliberation

Once we separated, Josephine kissed me passionately. Still holding each other she asked, "How are you doing?"

I responded, "Well up until about five minutes ago, I was bewildered, angry, and horrified. Now, I think I'm a bit horny." Then I gave her my best smile.

She rolled her eyes and said, "Men."

Then I added, "But maybe we should talk. What do you think about all of this?"

Josephine disengaged and walked over the the wine cabinet, "I'll fix us a glass of wine while we talk. I didn't know this was what they were planning when I asked you to have dinner with me."

I walked over to her and wrapped my arms around her, "I know that. I saw the look on your face when they started explaining what they wanted to do. You looked as clueless as I felt." Then I kissed her.

"So now that you've heard the offer, what do you think?"

She looked deep into my eyes, "Part of me thinks it could solve a big problem. We wouldn't have to worry about you getting old and dying. However, I don't like Hades' odds. The other part of me is deathly afraid it won't work and I'll lose you forever. I know all of my reasons are selfish, but it's how I feel."

Looking just as deeply into her eyes, "When Apollo and Athena described...uh...the guy's potential, Lord Acton's famous saying popped into my head, "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." What makes them think I would be the exception to that axiom? Also, why do I have the feeling this is all tied to the Annunnaki threat?"

Jill went back to fixing a glass of wine for us, "Maybe it's time to have a private chat with my father."

I was still getting use to the idea that these people weren't real gods, "I know he's not anything I imagined him to be, but can I just have a private sit down with him?"

She handed me my wine and then talked into the air, "Father? Bob needs to talk with you privately. Haha...I'll tell him. We're having a glass of wine right now, I'll send him over as soon as we're done."

"What did he say that made you laugh?"

"He said it took you long enough."

We talked a bit more and finished our wine. I then asked Josephine how to find Zeus. Next thing I knew I was standing in a rather large foyer, surrounded by white marble columns. Damn, I wish they'd give me some notice before zapping me around. I looked around and in one direction, I could see that the villa was on a hillside with a breathtakingly gorgeous view of an immense waterfall. I walked over to the edge and observed that the waterfall filled a beautiful lake below. Other directions either led to other parts of the villa or additional breathtaking outdoor views.

From behind me, I heard the thunderous deep voice say, "I never tire of the view. Hephaestus outdid himself when he designed it."

For a moment I had forgotten I was on a spaceship. I turned around and once again was face to face with the one of the most powerful beings in human history. I guess more accurately, I should say face to waist instead.

Zeus added, "I'm glad we finally have a chance to talk."

I said, looking way up, "I assume you want to know what my intentions are towards your daughter."

Zeus laughed, "Not at all! She a grown woman who has a mind of her own. I just want the two of you to be happy for as long as possible."

I changed course, but was deadly serious, "Ok, then let's talk about why I'm really here. No dancing around and no bullshit."

Zeus looked at me. I could tell he wasn't used to hearing someone be so direct with him. "Fair enough, as you say no bullshit. I need you to save Earth from Anu."

I think I was finally getting the picture, "So that vessel you want me to live in can defeat the Annunnaki. And thus by defeating them, I also save the Olympus."

We walked to a room with various seating, tables filled with fruits and nuts and of course wine. I'd kill for a Diet Coke about now. I passed on the food and drink for the moment and sat down. The furniture adjusted to my size.

Zeus sat and then continued, "Yes and no. We believe the vessel Aphrodite created, brought alive by the right soul, can defeat the Annunnaki. However, we know we will have to wage our own battle with them. The outcome of that battle is less certain. I only hope you'll save Earth. Heracles, Perseus and Josephine will assist, but they cannot win alone."

That statement surprised me, "Why is Earth so important to you? You even said you've traveled the galaxy saving other civilizations who have been ravaged by Anu and his crew. Why not just bring your children to the Olympus and then have it out with Anu?"

Zeus thought for a moment, "Bob, I've connected with humans on a level that has never happened before or since. Earth is the only planet I've procreated. Perseus, Heracles, Theseus and Josephine are the only children that I had with human females, regardless what the myths say. The stories talk about how I deceived Perseus' mother into believing I was her husband, but that is not what happened. She wasn't married when I found her. I will admit to being unfaithful to Hera, but neither one of us was pure. She tolerated Perseus and his mother and I cared for them. She despised Heracles from birth. To this day I'm not exactly sure why, but I miscalculated her hatred for him and anyone connected to him. She was long sent away, back to our home world when Theseus came along. We learned my children were mortal when Theseus succumbed to his injuries as a result of his battle with Anu's Minotaur."

He was lost in his thoughts. Finally, almost talking to himself, "I had been away from Earth for so long. I only intended to see how the human race was progressing. Then I met a beautiful human female, fell in love and Josephine was the result. She knew I couldn't stay and insisted she could raise the child alone. But her untimely death, of the plague, left Josephine very vulnerable and so I raised her here."

"What I didn't know until five years ago, on her dying bed, a young peasant boy promised Josephine's mother he would protect her. When she died he took the child into the forest. There had been rumors that her mother had conceived Josephine as a result of witchcraft. The religious authorities were convinced the child was a demon and had to be destroyed. They hunted the boy and Josephine until they finally surrounded them in a small abandoned cottage. The boy stood outside the front door, with a pitchfork, preparing to defend my daughter with his very life, from an attack by a dozen heavily armed horsemen. The boy was slaughtered and the cottage set ablaze, just as I took Josephine away. That boy sacrificed himself for my child. My only regret is I was too late to save him as well."

Zeus paused before continuing. I was wondering what this story had to do with anything.

Finally, "That boy was you, Bob. Hades saw it when he encountered your soul five years ago. Even if you had never been Hector, I owe your soul everything for saving my daughter."

We sat and let his comments stew for a bit. Neither one of us eager to continue.

Then he continued, "Most humans are very flawed. They're driven by their own personal interests. Almost all the leaders are corrupt and many of those that follow, do not care or are to afraid to oppose them. They are like sheep, following whoever is leading the flock. It has been that way since the beginning. I began to believe the human race would never evolve beyond their own greed. But, there are a number who are honorable, trustworthy and want to do what is right. It is those who give me hope that humans can overcome themselves. You exemplify those qualities and more."

I interrupted, "Zeus, please stop making me sound like a freaking saint. I too am flawed, like all humans. And it's that flawed human that is worried if I accept your offer and the union is successful. I'm worried that such power and knowledge will corrupt me. After all it is the nature of my species."

Zeus smiled, "Bob, I know you're flawed, but you are exceptional, whether you believe it or not. I've watched you and can attest that if any human can handle this "new life" it is most definitely you."

He may have jumped over the first hurdle, "How long have you been developing this plan?"

Zeus responded, "The Annunnaki killed Ares a little more than 1,600 of your years ago but to us it was only a short time ago. I was there when he took his last breath. He told me Anu said he was going to annihilate the Olympus and everyone on board. Then he was going to destroy Earth. Ares' soul said farewell to Hades as he watched it pass to the light. We don't know if his soul was reborn. Afterwards, I asked all Olympians to find a way to protect our ship and Earth."

Something dawned on me, "Zeus, Josephine was born 1,600 years ago, is it even remotely possible she is Ares reborn?"

I think it's safe to say, Zeus doesn't get shaken very often. He stood up and started pacing.

"Hades, please join us in my study." Boom, Hades was standing beside him.

"Brother, Bob made an interesting observation while we were discussing Ares' death. He noted Josephine was born soon thereafter. Can you determine if Josephine is Ares reborn?"

Hades was in deep thought, "I've just begun to see the past lives of the living, but not with complete success or clarity. Normally, I see the past as a soul passes to the light. But I've always felt a deep bond with her and that might explain why. I will visit with her and see what I can do." And just like that he was gone.

Zeus was still pacing and said to himself, "How could I have missed something so obvious?"

I interjected, "Us flawed beings tend to miss things that are very close to us."

Zeus stopped and looked at me, "But I can't miss things that are important, everyone on the Olympus is relying on me to see everything. I can't defeat Anu if I make even one mistake or miscalculation. If he destroys us, not only will Earth be in peril, but also the entire galaxy."

I looked back at the the great and powerful and strangely vulnerable Zeus, "Wow, I would have never imagined the great Zeus, King of the Gods, would feel the immense pressures of leadership. I've liked you from the moment I met you. Now, I not only like you, but have the deepest respect for you."

He knelt in front of me and put his large hands on my shoulders, "You have no idea how much I appreciate what you've just said. Whether you join us for eternity or live your natural human life here, you will always be considered my respected friend."

Think about that for a second, BFF with Zeus. More than way cool.

Zeus stood back up and went over to the beverage table and poured two glasses of water. He brought one back for me, then sat down opposite me.

"Zeus, you described my...surrogate as indestructible, physically and mentally enhanced and even truly immortal. You've discovered that you and your people are not immortal and can be killed. If I become this indestructible and truly immortal being, will I be more powerful than even you? Or did Aphrodite build a "kill switch" into it?"

Homer21stC
Homer21stC
136 Followers