The Waitress and the Teacher

Story Info
Giving shelter can lead to love.
8.6k words
4.71
14.5k
30
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
olddave51
olddave51
211 Followers

I'd like to thank Kenjisato for great editing and my friend Anaya for input.

I dedicate this story to a friend who has endured domestic violence and her journey from it.

The Waitress and the Teacher.

Who I am

My name is Dave Paterson, I am 51 years old. Because of a fall on some stairs a year ago, I tore up my knee, and I am now considered disabled. I retired because I could not get around my classroom-workshop or the rest of the school as well as I wanted to. And, it was what the 'powers to be' wanted me to do. I had been divorced and widowed. I raised my son by myself after my second wife, Nova, passed away from cancer, when Bobby was four.

I had taught woodworking, metalworking, drafting, electronics, and construction for twenty-four years, and was also the dean for the last five (ie. school disciplinarian). To tell the truth, I was tired. Because I was supposed to be the temporary dean for a year, I never had to sign an administrative contract. The school district kind of forgot about me, so I continued to have a teaching contract for the last five years, which helped me get to my eighty points.

I had taught for twenty-nine years, and my age was 51. I had reached the eighty points needed for early retirement. Now, with my pension, Social Security Disability, and the invested life insurance from Nova, I was doing okay. When Bobby was under 18, we got Nova's Social Security death benefits; it helped.

With retirement, I had fallen into a routine-- wake up, go out for breakfast at my local cafe, return home, watch CNN and FOX NEWS, and cuss at the politicians on TV.

Then, I would write about education and romantic fiction. Fix lunch and-or dinner, and write some more. Some of my stories would be akin to those Hallmark movies, and some could be published on adult story websites.

The Café

Every day at breakfast, there was the same cast of characters:

Robert, another retired teacher, 60, married, and happy to get out of the house so he and the wife wouldn't get on each other's nerves;

Joanne, a local insurance agency owner, 50, very business driven, single, she keeps us neanderthal men in line;

Susie, the cook, 49, sweetest woman to ever flip a pancake and very married;

Jack, the owner, 60-something, a gruff old man with a soft side;

George, the car salesman around 40 or so, married with two kids and an extremely dedicated, extremely beautiful trophy wife, he could make more empty promises than the whole Congress, but still was a good guy;

Mike, the construction company owner, he is on the short side of 40, basically a self-made man and just able to keep his company in the black, and still be a single, widowed dad to his two grade-school kids with the help of his mom and a great girlfriend-slash-fiancée. He lost his wife in a car accident six years before.

And the current flavor-of-the-month waitress, usually somewhere from 19 to 25 years old and a high school-diploma holder.

Mike couldn't afford a real foreman, so once in a while, when he had a couple of job sites, he would pay me under-the-table to be his eyes at a second job site. I would show up with a clipboard and some fake forms like I was making an inspection. Most of his employees were great workers, but once in a while, I would catch a goldbricker and the next 'inspection', they'd be gone.

One morning, we had a new waitress, a Michelle Ambrosia, or Shelly; she was older than Jack's usual hire. I'd thought she was late 30s early 40s. She was well received. And we all liked her. Myself, I'd think, if I was ten to fifteen years younger..."

I chatted with her every morning. She had a 14-year-old son Samuel, Sam, to whom she had been a single mother his whole life. She lived with a boyfriend. I could read her face. When talking about her son, she was all smiles, but talking about the boyfriend, Lee, she frowned.

Trouble for a hard working lady.

After about six months, Shelly was missing one morning. Jack and Susie were doing double duty. When we asked about her, Jack said, "She'll be in late, that's all she said." It kind of soothed our worries.

Shelly came in late, but had the start of a black eye and we could see bruises on her arms; whenever she stopped, she would hold her side like she was hurting. When it was time for Shelly's break, I asked her to sit with me. She hesitantly sat down in my booth.

"Glad to see you here." I offered her a cup of coffee, "I'm buying."

"Dave, I get it free, silly."

"But when do you get it poured for you free?" I poured her a cup of coffee.

She smiled, but winced because her bruises hurt to move or flex.

"Are you okay?"

She nodded slowly.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

She said, "Maybe..."

Just then, the front door flew open and a furious possibly drunk man walked in, yelling and screaming, "Where is the bitch!"

Shelly dove under the table, huddling next to my legs, shaking.

Robert, Mike, George and Jack all rose. I became the gatekeeper. He was fast for a possibly drunk dude, he was on us in the first moment. I had just enough time to grab my cane and crosscheck him in the throat. He fell back on a table breaking it. I lost my balance and basically sat down on the floor.

Mike, George and Jack were on him in the second moment. Susie grabbed the duct tape that was under the counter. Mike and George had him hogtied while Jack called 9-1-1, and Robert kept the other patrons back. Joanne who had her iPhone out was basically just taking a video and pictures.

This whole time, Shelly remained in a fetal position, still under the table, shaking. Since I was still on the floor after my crosscheck, I pulled her to me and started to stroke her hair telling her she was safe, "We are here."

At that time, good ol' Lee came to, and started to struggle with his taped wrists and ankles. I leaned down and told Lee, "Unless you want knees in your fucking face and groin, you will lie still." The guys helped me up and I helped Shelly up.

Lee was yelling, "Don't fuck'n come back to my place, bitch. I'll kick your little fucking ass and have you thrown in jail." This just made Shelly shake more and her tears began flowing down her face.

Three police cruisers pulled up in front and a firetruck and ambulance pulled into the lot. The cops separated all of us to get statements, while the EMTs looked after Lee and took Shelly to another part of the café.

The cop that hooked up Lee, and cut our duct tape off him, he asked, "Eleven layers of tape!? You didn't want him to get away, did you?"

We looked back and Mike said, "We only had eleven layers because we ran out of tape."

We were all interviewed.

An unmarked car parked in front of the café, and a detective walked in.

Jack told the detective, he had surveillance cameras and would show him the recording. The detective disappeared into Jack's back office, and came out about twenty minutes later, holding a DVD and then viewed Joanne's iPhone video. He was telling Jack to figure how much business he had lost and the damage to his café during this 'menacing incident', giving us an idea that more charges might be brought against Lee.

"Mr. Paterson, I don't see that you did anything wrong, you were defending Ms. Ambrosia."

He turned to Michelle, "Ms. Ambrosia, is Sam Ambrosia your son?"

Shelly's head shot up.

"We were called to his school today and I was on my way to talk to you. Where did you get those bruises and that black eye?"

Shelly hung her head and spoke in a hurting mumble, "Lee."

"Did you report it?"

"He would throw Sam and me out in the street if I did. I have nowhere to go."

I asked the detective if she could go to his house to get her things.

"Well, we are considering it a crime scene right now.

"I'll be talking to the DA about charges against Lee. From my interview with Sam, I will charge him with child abuse, domestic violence, and assault on a minor. I can charge him with more if you will press charges, Ms. Ambrosia."

"Oh, he will get out of it, his family has money," Shelly lamented.

"Well, right now I think bail will be quite a lot," the detective replied.

The Rescue.

I asked, "Could there be a Civil Standby, so she can get her son's and her things?"

The detective said, "Let me call the DA's office and ask."

After ten minutes, the detective said, "The police photo crew have left and the Incident Investigators are collecting evidence but are almost done."

I asked, "Could I take her over there and get hers and her son's stuff?"

He put up one finger to hold our attention. "Sure."

He called out to a patrolman, "Hey Tony, take Ms. Ambrosia and pick up her son at the school, and go to the lab to get their injuries photographed, and take them to her residence so they can get their stuff. Mr. Paterson will be helping her and you, just to do a Civil Standby with video, while she gets her stuff out."

The Plan?

As I started to my truck, Mike called out, "I am coming, too."

"Okay, here is the address I'll meet you there."

I pulled up to a shitty looking house. It needed painting badly, some siding was loose and it had significant roof damage, the yard dead or overgrown, and where there was lawn, it hadn't seen a mower for months.

Mike pulled up with some of his workers and some boxes in his truck.

Mike said to me, "I told the guys I'd pay them overtime, but when I told them why, they said, 'No nos paga regular no hay necesidad de horas extras.' No, pay us regular no need for overtime."

There was still yellow crime-scene tape keeping us from getting started.

Mike asked, "Where will we take her stuff"?

I got lost in thought and then said, "Hell, my place. I have extra bedrooms and a triple garage with two bays open."

We waited twenty minutes, and Officer Tony drove up with Sam and Shelly. Tony removed the crime-scene tape enough so we could move stuff out. Tony got out a video camera and started to document what was being removed. Shelly showed us what was hers and Sam's.

I looked at Sam and saw a bruise on the side of his face. When I was able to get him alone, I asked how he got it.

He said, "It's nothing."

I said, "Sam, you got that defending your mom, didn't you?"

Sam looked at me and said, "I tried to stop him. But he was just too strong for me," as tears formed in his eyes.

I grabbed him in a 'bro hug' and told him, "You did right, Sam. I am proud of you! Do you mind if I help you and your mom?"

He told me with a look that only guys can understand 'it was okay' and I gave him another 'bro hug'.

It took the guys just a little over an hour to remove and box all of Shelly's and Sam's belongings. I told Mike to just follow me. I helped the two hurt souls into my truck. And we were off.

The surprise.

Shelly was still in a daze, while I was driving. She asked me, "Where are we going to live? Where are we going to keep our stuff?"

"I know a great place to take you guys to, you'll love it." I pulled into my driveway and Mike followed me. Mike's crew worked like a well-oiled machine. The guys set up the two rooms like they were room designers. Before Mike left, he installed a key lock on both Shelly's and Sam's rooms at my request.

As Mike and his men left, Shelly asked me, "Who owns this place?"

"Oh just a guy I know...you hungry?"

Shelly then, surprisingly, stated, "This is your place!"

"Well, yes it is... Now what do you want to eat, Sam? I got a lot of hamburger meat and cheese for cheeseburgers, I'll turn on the grill."

Shelly said, "I need to talk to you!"

"After we eat, Shelly."

I heated up some ranch-style beans, made a garden salad, and cooked some French fries. I grilled five cheeseburgers.

To drink; I had milk, bottled water, coffee, bottled soda and had water ready for tea. I gave Sam two cheeseburgers and I served Shelly and myself a cheeseburger each. I sat down at the kitchen table and asked Sam how he liked the cheeseburgers.

With a full mouth, his garbled answer was, "Mmmmmgmmmte," he swallowed, "I mean great."

Shelly started to complain and I held up my had said, "We haven't had dessert yet."

I got up and took out an apple pie. I served each of us a piece and said, "I am out of ice cream, sorry."

I said, "Do you want to get your car today, or do you want me to drive you to work tomorrow? I'll take Sam to school also."

I was getting kind of an evil eye from Shelly.

I asked Sam, "Do you have homework? If you need help, I can help you."

He answered, "Yes."

"Okay, get yourself up to your room. If you need a desk, I'll get you one tomorrow. If you need a table tonight, I'll have the kitchen table cleared in just a few minutes."

Sam answered, "I'l-l-ll just do it in my room...er...the room."

"Okay. Shelly, let's go into the den and have our discussion."

The Talk.

I offered Shelly a comfortable chair and a glass of wine. I took my comfortable recliner.

I started by saying, "I have to ask some questions first, then I will give you all the time you want to discuss whatever you want. I'll ask them all first, then you can answer them."

"Michelle, first, where would you and Sam sleep tonight if you were not here?

"Second, do you have money to get into an apartment for you and Sam?

"Third, I have seen your car. what happens when it needs repair, with all of your money tied up with rent?

"Fourth, how will you protect Sam and yourself against Lee or another jackass like him?

"Fifth, well... I'll think of it later... I have no agenda. I have no expectations. No quid pro quo. I am here. I just want to help you and Sam.

"Your Turn."

Shelly looked at me and her eyes started to tear up. "Dave, I do not know what to say."

Just then, there was a knock on the door. I put one finger up and went to the door. I looked out and saw it was Susie. I welcomed her in and she immediately when to Shelly's side and gave her a hug, "You okay?"

I told her I would give Shelly and Sam a place to stay until she was ready... I could not say the words 'to leave'.

"I can vouch for Dave. He was my nephew's teacher, and I will go to bat for him any day. By the way, you left your car keys at work. I drove it here, and my husband is outside in our car. I need to get going, love ya both."

------

"Okay, it has been a long day. You will find towels in the hall closet. I have a hot tub on the back deck, if you need to relax some. I use it almost every night. I sleep like a baby after."

I left the den and went to my bedroom and put on my swimsuit, I usually don't wear one, living alone. I went out to my deck, started the tub, and got in.

I was kicking back for about five-or-so minutes when the door to the family room slid open, and out walked a ravishing woman named Shelly. Shelly had on a conservative bikini with a sheer cover. I was glad I was already in the tub, as it hid my excitement. She dipped her body down into the tub and the bubbles embraced her. She actually sighed, as she sat down.

I asked her, "Okay, how are you now?

"Dave, I will never be able to thank you enough."

"The smile on your face is all I need." And I meant it.

Our stories.

She asked, "Well, tell me, what makes Dave who he is?"

"Well, I was married right out of college, but she never went to college. In two years, she wanted to trade up and cheated on me. She lost almost everything when the guy's wife she cheated on me with, had a PI following the two of them and she gave me all the evidence.

"We lived in North Carolina at the time, and we were able to file on grounds of adultery. The guy's wife and I both used the same law firm. It was real karma. We both sued each other's wayward spouse for 'alienation of affection' and we basically got our wayward spouse's share of the marriage assets and equity that we had to 'give up' in the divorce.

"Both spouses tried reconciliation, but karma is a bitch. My ex is working a dead-end job, cleaning office buildings at night." My ex had the audacity to try to get back with me after she realized her plan did not work.

"My second wife, Nova, was as close to a soulmate as can be. We had a son and when my son was four, she died of pancreatic cancer. She made me promise to move on with my life, but I got busy with school politics and raising our son. So I have been a single dad, and now I am just a single, retired teacher. Oh, I have had short romances, but they never seemed to last very long. Sometimes, I think the women didn't want a man with a child, now I know how single mothers feel.

"Okay, your turn to tell me your story?"

"Well, I am 45 years old.

"I was working in a restaurant as an assistant manager, where I had worked my way up the 'food chain'. I was 31 and one night, the restaurant had an after-hours party. I was slipped some drugs in my drink and was the center of attention of a gang bang with a number of men. Because I was drugged, I could not identify all of the men.

"They did do a blood test to identify what the drug was. The swab did not work because they could not identify any of the separate suspects' DNA -- because they could not isolate each 'donor' (remember this was fourteen years ago), they had just my son's. Now I think they can, but unless the 'daddy' breaks the law and has to give up his DNA, he is home free, I think.

"I have been in and out of relationships for years. I thought Lee was the one I could settle down with, but he lost his job, started drinking and then started to steal my tips. When I asked him why, he hit me; then Sam came in, and he hit Sam. I hid in Sam's room 'til Lee fell asleep. The next day, I sent Sam to school to get him out of the house, while I got some of our stuff out of his house. But, Lee caught me, and I ran without getting much. I went to work, so I could get a day's worth of tips... and now you are up to date."

I stated, "Well it is late, what time do you need to get up?"

"I have to be at work at six-thirty."

"What time does Sam have to be at school? "

"Eight-forty-five."

"I'll drive him."

"Okay. I'll see you at the café at nine."

--------

After a week, things settled down. Sam seemed happier; Shelly looked so happy. We settled down into a calm, almost-family atmosphere. We were just housemates, no benefits

How it's done.

Six months after coming to live with me, Sam had a problem at school and Shelly had to meet with the principal. Sam had punched a kid that was picking on him and bloodied his nose and lip (something about not having a father, calling his mother a whore).

When Shelly told me she had to go in, I told her I would go with her. I talked to Sam and got the lowdown on what happened. I saw that Sam was being blamed for the whole thing.

Having been a school teacher and a dean, I was not your usual 'parent'.

The principal was a Mr. Johnson. I remembered him for my son's days at that school, but he did not remember me right away. He started to recite rules and what rules Sam had broken.

I asked, "Where is the written report on the incident? Where is your narrative on your interview with Sam. Where is your narrative on your interview with the other boy?"

"Mr. Paterson, what is your profession?"

"I am retired."

"What is your relationship with Sam?"

I tapped Shelly's foot and lied, "I am his stepdad."

"You seem to be quite well versed in school procedures."

"I should be, I was the dean at East High for five years."

"I thought I recognized the name. Isn't Bobby your son? He was the best student council president I ever had."

"Yes. He is teaching over at State University, he will have tenure next year."

"Now, Mr Johnson, did you know that Sam has been putting up with your 'victim's' bullying for about five to six months? He called Sam's mother a whore!"

olddave51
olddave51
211 Followers