All Comments on 'The Writing of A Hard Day's Night'

by EmilyMiller

Sort by:
  • 16 Comments
dmallorddmallord4 months ago

Now, I'm off to read the story. You can write, girl. That's clear. 5* here.

AchtungNightAchtungNight4 months ago

I enjoyed the story and the story behind it. Good job on both. I hope you will keep writing.

EmilyMillerEmilyMiller4 months agoAuthor

@dmallord - the story may be a bit of a let-down

EmilyMillerEmilyMiller4 months agoAuthor

@AchtungNight - thanks 🙏

lc69hunterlc69hunter4 months ago

As always, well done. I know several sex workers who have managed to have a healthy family life, and also, more than a few who haven't

EmilyMillerEmilyMiller4 months agoAuthor

@lc69hunter - thank you. Many sex workers are in a bad place, but not all. That was my only point. Em

Djmac1031Djmac10314 months ago

Well constructed behind the scenes essay. I hope mine will be half as interesting.

We find ourselves in strange places as writers. Too realistic and things can be dark, depressing or worse, BORING.

Veer off too far into fanciful and we upset the other side that can't buy our fantasy.

In the end, we write what we know, and what we imagine, and let the chips fall where they will.

EmilyMillerEmilyMiller4 months agoAuthor

@Djmac1031 - thanks. I agree with that 😊 Em

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

As for the story, I hope you are just overly modest, rather than selling yourself short. The score I believe simply reflects how the somewhat unique structure of the story doesn't have the space to build up momentum in any one scene, so it would likely not get people off, which - I assume - is why most come to read lit stories.

On the risk of sounding like a fanboy: you had me hooked and I was blazing through it to see where the story goes. The story was engaging and I turned pages without even realizing it, meaning I was engulfed in the story deeply enough to not pay attention or care really where I am in the piece.

The reflection and behind the scenes look was also worth a ton, thank you for sharing.

26thNC26thNC4 months ago

Very insightful essay explaining your thinking behind an interesting story. Sex workers are interesting individuals who live different lives. I had two nurses who worked for me that I was close friends with. Both had been sex workers paying for college, one an escort, the other a stripper. The escort who continued to work as a high end escort while having a nursing career never, in her late 30s, was in a committed relationship. The stripper, whom I actually dated in college, has been married going on 15 years, and has 3 kids with her cop husband. Different women, very different live.

EmilyMillerEmilyMiller4 months agoAuthor

@Anon - thank you for saying - positive feedback is lifeblood for an emerging writer 😊 Em

EmilyMillerEmilyMiller4 months agoAuthor

@26thNC - I did my bets to be honest. And sex workers are as diverse a bunch as any other group. Em

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

This was an interesting insight. I read and really liked the story before moving past the opening of this essay. I could picture the locations since I live in that general area. You may have disappointed yourself with parts of the story but I felt it hung together and told a complete tale. It’s probably easy to fall into the pit of write, edit, rewrite and repeat. At some point you have achieved “perfect enough” and probably need to just hit publish before your joy of writing turns into a chore. Thank you very much for posting here.

EmilyMillerEmilyMiller4 months agoAuthor

@Anon - yes that cycle feels familiar. Thank you for the feedback 😊 Em

Sincity09Sincity094 months ago

Wonderful explanation of the thought process behind the story. Perhaps it’s just how my brain is structured, but I thought the story was very well handled and explained. It reminded me a bit of the film called “Night on Earth” which was a collection of 5 vignettes that followed the interactions of five different taxi drivers and their clients. This story to me had the same vibe, and it was great. The “realism” to me was not an issue whatsoever, it was a fictional story about a fictional character that focused on human interactions. The main character was portrayed (successfully) and a person with her own ideas, thoughts, needs and perspectives. As you said in your explanation, sex workers are as varied as the general populace—we cannot know what motivates and drives each of them - in her case you had your own interpretation. I loved the ending, I thought it was a fitting close to the story, it brilliantly brought her “real life” out in the open. It’s probably my second favourite story of yours, well written, and thoughtful.

EmilyMillerEmilyMiller4 months agoAuthor

@Sincity09 - thank you so much for the detailed feedback and I’m glad you found things to like. 😊 Em

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userEmilyMiller@EmilyMiller
PLEASE NOTE THAT I DON’T SEXT HERE I’m Em. Just your common or garden Lit cumslut. I write a bit, mostly about me, I guess that makes me a terrible narcissist 😬. Or maybe a very good narcissist. Not sure how that one works TBH. Any unsolicited dick pics will lead to immed...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES