They Met in a Diner Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The door to the coat room was open and the desk lamp, previously hidden by purses, gave a soft illumination. Max lay asleep, stretched out on her back on the daybed, boots off and woolen socks mismatched. Katherine was starfished across her torso, dark hair flung wildly. On Max's left, Veronica was snuggled close to her mother's side, sound asleep. Adam was curled in a tight ball around Max's right arm, her hand cupped loosely around his ankle.

Those warm feelings that were always present around Max suddenly rushed forth, closing up her throat and prickling her eyes. Love, they shouted to her. Love! Love!

'I love her.' Emily's mind was empty but for that single realization, echoing endlessly.

Beside her, and seemingly unaware of her inner revelation, Tess gave a careworn sigh. "Little tykes wore themselves out. Momma too." She sniffed delicately. "I'll make sure to tell Max you said goodbye. Which coat was yours?"

Emily blindly fumbled for her belongings, her racing heart pounding in her ears. "Thank you, Tess, for a wonderful day, and for including me. I'll just..." Emily gestured toward the hall, already stepping away.

Later, she would hope that her exit seemed less hurried and didn't show the panic she felt at these stupid emotions finally naming themselves.

Later, she would let the tears fall as she resolved to lock those unwelcome feelings away. Love was more than she'd bargained for, and something she wouldn't push on Max.

Later, after a cleansing cry and soothing glass of wine, she would admit to herself that she was in trouble.