All Comments on 'Thicker than Water'

by scorpio1111

Sort by:
  • 1 Comment
AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
An excellent dystopia, guaranteed to make you depressed

It's 1984 meets the modern kleptocratic climate crisis: The world is burning, all institutions are run by corrupt businessmen, everything is awful, and anyone who doesn't own a corporation is instead owned BY a corporation as chattel. This is exactly what I fear is coming in the next 10-20 years, and the writing here conveys painfully well just how bleak things will become. This absolutely made me despair for the future of humanity and the Earth, and I appreciate that.

The actual sex was similarly tainted by the overwhelming fear and rot of this nightmarish hellscape, and --like the group's made-up card game-- conveyed the sense of people wasting away their time because they know that nothing they do will really matter and that they're all one "repossession" away from being dropped into the middle of a lethally radioactive fallout zone without so much as a shirt for protection. Again, it's agonizing and haunting to read, and I really do appreciate that.

It's just not something that I really wanted to read while looking for sexy escapist fantasy.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous