Third Time Lucky

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

'Could it ever be that without Connor?'

There would be time enough to find out I guessed.

I spent the first couple of days busily unpacking, doing laundry, shopping for groceries and generally settling back in to my old surroundings. With my mother eager to help it was all done by the Tuesday night and I was already starting to feel somewhat bored when I fell out of bed the following morning.

Deciding to drop into the office I couldn't help but be thrilled at the reception I got. My unexpected visit was greeted with shrieks and hugs of delight from the girls while I got a few handshakes and a slightly more muted, but nonetheless enthusiastic, welcome from the men.

Dragged into the break room I was inundated with questions from my colleagues about my time in Rome, all of which that I did my best to answer as I was made a coffee.

"That's it we're definitely going to a pub on Friday for a welcome home party."

Claire, one of my closest friends suggested a night out, which was quickly met with a chorus of approval from all the girls.

"The Loft it is then." Someone added, nominating a bar I hadn't heard of.

"The where?"

"Don't worry, its new and very suitable." One told me.

"We can find you a man." Another added.

"I'm ok I don't...."

My feeble objections were shouted down rather rapidly and before I could say anything else by way of a protest it had been arranged; a girl's night out at The Loft that coming Friday.

Escorting me out of the building Claire paused at the entrance and looked at me with a serious expression on her face.

"Have you seen Connor since you've been back?"

"No. How... how is he?"

She considered my question thoughtfully for a moment before answering, "Let me get my coat and I'll meet you across the road. We can get a proper coffee then."

I didn't really want a second drink but my curiosity had got the better of me and I headed to the coffee shop, sitting down with two cappuccinos by the time she joined me.

"So.... Connor?" I prompted her immediately, desperate to hear what she had to tell me, "Have you seen him? How is he?"

"When you first left he was a total mess and I guess it was close to six months before he really started socialising again."

"And now? Is he... is he with anyone?"

It was a question I had to ask even though I was certain of what the answer would be and knew that I didn't want to hear it.

For a long moment she waited, taking a sip from her cup, clearly thinking what to say before replying.

"He's with Olivia Pendleton. They're.... they're living together."

"He's with her? How.... How fucking long have she been shacked up with him?"

While I had never expected my ex-boyfriend to wait for me in the hope I would eventually come home I had never expected to find him living with my former best friend.

Livvy Pendleton and I had been buddies from primary school but we fell out after she had tried to seduce Conner one weekend when we came home, soon after we had begun dating.

It was rumoured that most of the guys we had been to school with had fucked her at one time or another and she had ended up with a reputation as the local bike.

"About a year." Clair whispered putting her cup down, "She started chasing him almost from the day you left but to be fair to Connor he wasn't interested in her, at least not at first."

"That slut always wanted him. She was jealous of us, of what we had."

"Well, she got him although....." Claire stopped mid-sentence.

"Although what?"

She frowned and went quiet.

"And what Claire?"

"I've heard rumours that she's back to her old ways. Nothing concrete, just gossip and tittle-tattle but you know what they say, there's no smoke without fire."

Several thoughts ran through my head when Claire told me about the stories spread by the scandalmongers but I eventually decided it was no business of mine. Connor had moved on and stirring up trouble after all this time could only cause problems for me.

"So, what about Friday?" I changed the subject and we chatted about the upcoming girl's night before finishing our coffees and I went home, leaving Claire to go back to work.

Sitting at my mirror on the Friday evening, putting on my make-up, I was on the verge of cancelling. I hadn't wanted a fuss and now, with the idea that I was being set up with some stranger, the planned night out didn't appeal to me one little bit.

Perhaps Claire had suspected as much because it was just then that the entry phone buzzed; she had arrived early to pick me up.

"I wasn't expecting you for another hour." I told her when I answered the door.

"Just making sure you're coming."

"As if I would cancel."

"Yeah as if." Came back the sarcastic retort.

I had intended dressing a little more conservatively than I usually would for a night out but the moment my friend saw my selection she took it off me and headed straight for my wardrobe. Picking out a leopard print strapless top and a rather short black skirt she handed them to me.

"There that's much better." She grinned naughtily once I had put the outfit on, "Now we're sure to find you a man."

"I don't want a man thank you very much. This is supposed to be a girl's night."

Claire chuckled and put a couple of foil wrappers in my bag, "Sure it is, but you need to be prepared for every eventuality."

"No. No way." I argued, going to take them out.

Grabbing my hand she smiled and winked, "Leave them there. You never know when you might need one... or even two."

"Have you set me up?"

"As if I would." Her eyes went wide as she laughingly protested her innocence, "And it's time we were going anyway."

"Yes! You would." I laughed along with her as we exited my apartment and went down for our taxi.

It was just twenty minutes later when the Uber dropped us right outside the bar. The Loft was new to me, only having been open for six months, and I took in the smart décor as we walked in.

Elegantly decorated in red and silver it extended a long way back to a large dance floor at the rear.

With a bar along one wall the side opposite comprised of about a dozen larger tables. The rest of the floor space was taken up with small higher round tables that provided a space where you could stand and put down your drink.

As soon as I entered I could tell this was the local pick-up venue from the way the girls in there were dressed. However, I certainly didn't feel out of place, the revealing outfit Claire had selected for me fitted in perfectly.

I hadn't been particularly good at keeping in touch while I had been in Italy and the six of us were soon settled at one of the large tables, with a couple of bottles of wine, catching up on everything I'd missed. Wanting to know who had been dating who and such like it was soon clear to me that they were all avoiding the subject of Connor.

Of course, dressed up in our skimpiest, we attracted a fair amount of male attention and it wasn't that long before four of the girls had hit the dance floor leaving Claire and I behind.

Politely refusing a couple of requests to have a dance we stayed sitting and continued to talk.

"So, any update on Connor? Have you spoken to him?"

I shook my head, "No. I know I need to but I don't know what to say to him. Especially after what you....."

"Hi Claire." A voice from behind me interrupted what I was saying and I twisted around to find two men standing there.

"Hey Simon." My friend stood up and embraced one of them, kissing him on the cheek, "This is Chloe, the girl I told you about."

"Hello Chloe, I'm Simon and this is my friend Mark." The guy my friend had kissed addressed the comment to me.

Glaring at Claire I got an innocent smile from her in return and I realised why she had given me the condoms. I had been setup.

"So, I hear you've been in Rome for a while."

Mark stepped closer and shook hands with me.

Fortunately for my best friend he seemed to be a fairly pleasant and likeable guy. Around 5' 10" with light brown hair and green eyes he didn't set my heart racing but it was a night out and I wasn't going to spoil the evening by being petty and refusing to have a drink with him.

Only half-an-hour or so had gone by before I was regretting my decision, quickly realising that Mark had a rather possessive streak.

He had clearly taken his invitation 'to come along for me' to mean that I was going to go home with him. Within minutes he had an arm about my waist, indicating to everyone there his ownership of me as he shepherded me to the bar to get another drink.

I was in the process of deciding on the best way to extricate myself from the situation I was in when I saw him.

Turning away from the bar, a pint glass in each hand, Connor McCarthy stopped dead and stared straight into my eyes.

"Chloe!"

"Conn...."

I barely managed to start to say his name, registering the look of utter surprise and hurt in his eyes.

Mark clearly noticed the interaction and quickly pulled me away from my former boyfriend.

"Who was that?" He asked jealously.

"Just someone I haven't seen for a long time."

"Well, you're with me tonight." Mark snorted derisively, "So, what would you like to drink babe?"

"Just a white wine please."

Answering him as civilly as I could I glanced over my shoulder to see Connor looking back at me, his expression almost indecipherable.

"Nah, you need a double vodka to loosen you up for later when we get back to my place."

Dragging me back towards him I shuddered, feeling his fingers brush along the side of my breast, as he gripped me tighter.

"Sure. But I err.... I need the bathroom." Making an excuse I slipped out of his grasp and went to find Claire.

"God he's such a creep. Why did you invite him?"

"I'm so sorry babe. Simon said he was a great guy."

"Well, he isn't." I shook my head angrily, "I'm going home and if you give him my number I'll never speak to you again."

"Stay Chloe, I'll get Simon to get rid of him."

"I can't, Connor's here."

She looked at me in surprise, "Did... did you speak to him?"

"No, I got hustled away but he saw me with Mark."

"Shit."

"Exactly. I need to go home and decide what I'm going to do."

She nodded her agreement and I left, heading out to catch a taxi, before Simon's friend came back.

I spent most of Saturday thoroughly miserable, tidying the flat again, as I considered my former boyfriend and what to do about him.

'Did he know that Olivia was cheating on him?'

'Maybe I needed to explain about Mark?'

'Was it any of my business now we weren't together.'

'Would he even want to see me?'

These and numerous other questions filled my head and I ended up going to bed early that night, totally confused about what I should do and without having found answers to any of them.

It was early the next morning and I had just finished in the shower when, completely out of the blue Connor rang me.

"Chloe." His voiced sounded hesitant.

"Hi Connor."

"Are you err..... are you busy?"

I shook my head and smiled at my stupidity, "No, I'm not doing anything."

"Could.... could we meet. Maybe have a coffee?"

I was rendered virtually speechless but obviously agreed without any hesitation.

"Sure. When were you thinking?"

"How about eleven. At Maggie's?" He suggested a café we used to frequent when we were together.

"Ok." I concurred nervously already wondering why he wanted to see me, "I'll be there."

Hurrying to get ready I put on some mascara and eyeliner before slipping into the tightest pair of jeans I could find and a rather fetching vivid blue top.

Doing a quick twirl before the mirror, I decided I was looking as good as I could, given that I had had such a short while to get ready and, collecting my coat and bag, I set off for our rendezvous at the café he had suggested.

I arrived at the coffee shop a few minutes early and found a seat to wait for him, idly stirring my cappuccino as I, once again, wondered what he wanted to talk to me about.

When Connor walked in through the door, my stomach tightened and I felt my pulse rate increase dramatically, the old familiar feelings that he had always aroused in me surging to the fore as I gazed at him.

The thought of him in a relationship with Olivia Pendleton, of her sharing his bed, filled me with an unreasonable jealousy that I had no right to feel.

"Thank you for coming." He forced a smile as he sat down, "I hope I didn't tear you away from your boyfriend."

"My pleasure and he was just someone I met last night." I told him rather brusquely, "And, just so you know, I dumped him about five minutes after you saw me and went home, alone."

"It's none of my business Chloe. What you do now is up to you."

I swallowed hard, my heart pounding in my chest, he was right but his words still stung me.

"So, you wanted to see me?"

He fidgeted looking somewhat anxious, "Yeah I... umm... I... err... I saw you were back and I..."

"Look, let me get you a coffee and you can collect your thoughts while I'm at the counter."

I grinned and left him to go to order, taking the time to get my own head around what I was going to say to him.

Coming back with his drink I slid into my seat, pushing the cup across to him, as he started to speak.

"So, what was Rome..."

"No, please let me start." I cut him off, "I know you're with Olivia and I've no right to expect anything after... well after I left but..."

I broke off at that point as I felt my eyes start to tear up.

"How was Rome? Were you... were you seeing anyone?" Ignoring what I had said he asked the question I wanted to avoid.

I paused and wiping my eyes took a sip of my drink before glancing apprehensively up at him. I knew I had to be honest and I was scared about what his reaction might be.

"Rome was good. I learnt a lot and yes, I was seeing someone but it wasn't serious and I... well I broke it off when I decided to come home."

I bit my bottom lip and gazed at him for several seconds as he took in my answer.

"So, why did you come back?"

"Because I... I felt the time was.... was right to....." I told him, stopping half way through my answer unable to find the words to say exactly what I wanted to.

His mouth opened and closed several times but nothing came out as he stared at me, clearly struggling to comprehend that I was actually there and trying to work out what to say to me.

"I'm being completely stupid I know but...." I went to pick up my bag to leave, "I'm so sorry Connor... I know you have a girlfriend and I forfeited any rights when I left but.... I kind of hoped that.... maybe we...."

"Wait. Please stay." He reached out and took hold of my arm, "You're not stupid Chloe, not in the slightest but Jesus.... coming back after 2 years without a word and springing that on me."

"I... I didn't expect you to wait for me." I shook my head, "I'm really sorry, you must think I'm some sort of an idiot. You're with Olivia. I... I'll go. I... I'm so sorry."

"Christ, I just wanted to know if you were ok and.... well find out how things stood between us but now.... now I don't know what to think."

Pushing my chair back, I stood up, "Forget what I said, I... I shouldn't have."

"That's easier said than done but.... I'm sorry Chloe but I need some space to work this out in my own mind."

Without waiting for him to say anything more I fled, rushing out of the coffee shop and leaving him staring after me open-mouthed,

For the next week I managed to put the matter of Connor to the back of my mind. Starting back at work I had plenty of other things to catch up with and to focus on.

I debated calling him and trying to make peace with him but, not knowing if he would be with Olivia or even if he wanted to speak to me again, I decided it would be better to wait and see if he contacted me.

Struggling through to the Thursday I was in my office when Claire poked her head around the door.

"What are we doing tomorrow night?"

"Err..... nothing."

"Wrong answer babe." She grinned mischievously at me, "We are going out on the pull."

"No, please Claire, not again. I'm not in the mood."

"No set ups this time. I promise."

"I'd really rather have a quiet weekend if it's all the same to you."

Perching on the edge of my desk she looked at me sternly, "You've been moping around all week after talking to Conner. You need to get out and have some fun."

"By fun you mean sex?"

"When was the last time you got laid?"

"I thought about it for a moment, "A few weeks back, before I came home from Italy."

"That's much too long. We need to get you sorted out."

"Sorted out! You make me sound like an untidy wardrobe."

"You know what I mean." She looked at me and smiled meaningfully.

"Unfortunately, I do." I responded glumly.

Despite my rambling protests Claire remained determined that we were going out the following night and eventually I surrendered to her insistence and agreed, albeit rather reluctantly.

By six o'clock on the Friday evening as I stepped out of the shower I was trying to think of any excuse I could not to go. I had only been with two men in my life, one I loved and the other I admired, so going out to pick up a stranger for a night of casual sex wasn't my idea of having a good time.

Sitting down at my dresser I took my time and brushed out my hair wondering what would be a good reason to cancel on my friend.

I was still trying to think of an answer to that question as I applied my make-up; a deep bronze eyeshadow, more mascara on my false eyelashes, eyeliner and a red lip gloss. By the time I was satisfied with my look I had a tight knot in my stomach and still no excuse.

Dropping my towelling robe on the bed I slid a pink thong up my legs before turning to my wardrobe to choose my outfit.

After flicking through most of the clothes there I settled on a white mini dress; skin tight it came down to mid-thigh and clung to my modest breasts so my nipples were obvious through the material. Wearing a bra was not an option as it only had a strap over one shoulder leaving the other bare.

A pair of white strappy 3" heels completed my ensemble and, after doing a quick twirl in front of the mirror, I decided I was ready to go.

With a nervous half hour wait before Claire was due I sat myself down and started to reflect on what I was doing.

I had no claim on Connor, he was with someone else now, but that didn't mean I hadn't had hopes that we might rekindle our romance once I was home. Now, going out with Claire to find a man, it felt like I was cheating on him somehow.

My time as Vincenzo's mistress had been different; Connor and I had broken up and were hundreds of miles apart. Even then though, it had been six months before anything happened and I had had twinges of guilt about it the whole time we were together.

I was still considering my situation when my friend knocked at the door, disturbing my thoughts.

Letting her in I quickly grabbed my bag and the two of us piled into the back of her Uber and headed into town.

"Where are we going?" I asked her once the cab was moving.

"I thought we'd start at Apparition, then after a drink or two there, we can see how we feel."

"That meat market? Is that place still going?"

Claire chuckled, "Can you think of anywhere better if we're going out on the pull?"

I sighed resignedly, "No, probably not."

My memories of the Apparition bar cum club were not amongst the best I had. Having only been there a couple of times when friends had insisted I go to whatever party it was I had always found it to be a real cattle market, filled with mostly older guys on the lookout for younger, available women.

The place hadn't changed much during the two years I had been gone and as we walked in I could feel a sense of dread wash over me. The same striped wallpaper, now a little more faded, covered the walls along with the mirrored panels and although the furniture had been updated the bar still had the same uneasy feel to it.