This Strange World Needs a Kicking! Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hmm, he was starting to smell a trap. So Prince Sebastian didn't let his manservant get anywhere near danger, which could mean one of two things. Either he was, as Pepin said, overprotective, or two, he thought his servant couldn't hold a sword, to begin with.

"Let's not rush," Kai said. He had to learn about Prince Sebastian and his habits on the go, and it didn't serve to change everything in a single day. "We'll see about that."

"I'm glad it's not a 'no'," Pepin said happily.

"Can't you tell that I'm only trying to protect you?" Kai asked, now more cautious than before.

"I'm not as puny as you think I am. And I'm capable of more than just drawing a bath and picking your outfit."

"And cooking the most amazing food I've ever tasted," Kai reminded him.

"True," Pepin said proudly. "Still, you treat me like I'm some weakling. I'm sure that's the only reason why you haven't taken me to your bed until now."

"Yeah, totally," Kai said and sighed in pity for his own self and the predicament he was in due to Prince Sebastian's taste for beautiful men.

"You see? I knew it! You like Conrad because he's strong and a master swordsman."

"I don't like Conrad," Kai denied. "I just don't want him to die, well, because -" he stopped, not knowing exactly what kind of argument would be enough to convince Pepin he wasn't into his captive-prince-slash-sex-slave-slash-royal concubine.

"Because?" Pepin insisted.

"Because it would make me sad," Kai opted for the truth, as he saw it with sudden clarity.

Pepin remained quiet for a while. "People say you're cold," he began in a soft voice. "They say that it's good that you have a strong sense of duty or else we would all be doomed. That everyone could die around you, and you wouldn't shed a tear. Only fight until the bitter end."

"Wow, no wonder no one has any lost love for me," Kai said with a slight grunt. There was nothing he could compare with the feel of the wind in his face while riding on the back of that magnificent animal. He decided on the spot that horses were his favorite animals, starting now.

"That's not true. I love you," Pepin said simply.

"Oh, that's, um, I mean, that's... Thank you, Pepin," Kai eventually managed to get the words out of his mouth.

"It's all right. I don't expect to hear the words back." Much to his surprise, Pepin didn't sound sad as he spoke.

That was one more thing to admire about the royal servant. He didn't expect anything in return, and Kai felt guilty. There were so many things he should have been thankful for, like his mother's love, Milo's friendship, and even Tani's sisterly nagging. Instead, he had glided through it all for the last couple of years, like he didn't care where the ship of his life chose to sail.

But now, things were different. Now, he had a purpose, a goal. He had to make a dragon cry so that he could save the man dying in his chambers because he had chosen to put himself between a poisoned blade and Prince Sebastian, a guy who, so far, seemed quite the badass, but one without that much of a heart.

The wind brought a faint scent of sulfur. They must be getting close if his experience with video games had taught him anything.

TBC

12