Tied Up in Knotts Ch. 16

Story Info
Changing Tides - Penn's POV.
10.2k words
4.72
6.3k
8

Part 16 of the 21 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 06/14/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The neighborhood could've been on the cover of Portland Weekly. The older homes were full of charm and character. Each yard had numerous pants and trees that no doubt added to the life of springtime and the beauty of fall. The yards were small and the sidewalks were in need of repair; showing just how loved they'd been over the years.

I parked along the curb across the street and took a breath before getting out. It had been a long time since I'd been with Nash one on one and I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me edgy. My brother may have had a legitimate reason why he couldn't get Nash himself but I there was also an ulterior motive. There always had been. I may have moved on but my brothers, Ryan in particular, still held on to false hope.

Nash opened the door and waved. His smile was tense and his stress was evident. I stopped at the bottom of the porch and shoved my hands in my pocket.

He was struggling to keep the door opened while shoving his luggage across the threshold. During one particularly agitated shove, the wheel got stuck and luggage toppled onto the porch. I frowned. I had never seen Nash so frazzled before and hoped it wasn't because of me.

Nash was tying himself in a knot getting whatever was still inside the house, while holding the door open, and trying to step onto the porch to fix the mess he'd just made. I couldn't stand it anymore and took the steps two at a time so I could up-right his luggage for him.

Nash sighed. "Thank you." He took a moment to collect himself then, with more finesse than he had earlier, put a backpack and the smaller matching luggage piece on to the porch. He stared at his stuff for a second as he checked off the mental list in his head. When he was sure he had everything, he locked the door behind him.

When everything was done, he took a deep breath, turned around, looked at me, and smiled like I hadn't just watched him struggle to an inch of his life. "Hi."

I laughed. "Hi."

Nash spread his arms, gesturing at his stuff strung across the porch. "Welcome to my shit show."

"Apparently," I laughed again. "Everything okay?"

"Oh yeah, it's good. I picked up a few extra shifts this week so I didn't have time to pack in advance." Nash picked up his backpack and the smaller luggage as I was still holding the bigger luggage. I stood and waited for him to walk past me before following him to the truck. "I appreciate you picking me up. I would've driven to Lincoln myself but Joe borrowed the suburban to take a group of guys white water rafting."

"No biggie."

"Was traffic terrible?"

"Nah." I lied. It was really fucking terrible.

"That's good. Are you hungry?" he asked as I loaded his luggage into the back seat of the truck. "We can stop somewhere and grab a bite to eat. My treat as a thank you."

"I'm good. Thanks."

Nash glanced at me then got in the truck.

The ride home was surprisingly easy. Traffic was horrible and it took three hours to get home, but it wasn't a terrible trip. Nash was always good at conversation and single handedly kept it going the whole time. There were a few times he was annoyed by my lack of involvement but he made a good show of keeping it to himself. I just didn't have a lot to contribute.

When we were close, I called Ryan.

"There was an accident and I'm going to be a while. Could Nash crash in your guest room?"

I glanced at Nash. He was on his phone, completely oblivious to my brother and his antics.

"Ryan got held up and might be a bit. Are you okay hanging out by yourself for a bit?"

"That's not what I asked," Ryan growled from on the phone as Nash said "Oh yeah, no problem."

"Ryan said you can make yourself at home."

"No, I didn't."

"No worries," Nash said. "I brought my laptop."

"He brought his laptop," I relayed to Ryan, who no doubt heard the conversation. "He's set. I'll drop him off in twenty. Take your time and I'll see you tomorrow."

"I hate you."

I laughed as I hung up. I had a feeling Hawaii was going to be full of this shit but I was ready with plenty of counterattacks.

Twenty minutes later I pulled up to my brother's house. Nash was the only one surprised to see that Ryan was already there...since he was held up and all.

"As soon as I got off the phone things cleared up," he said in a way of reason. Nash smiled. I don't think Nash cared enough to see past the lie. I on the other hand shook my head in disappointment.

"That was low, even for you," I said after Nash was out of ear shot. "Don't do this."

"What?" he asked, trying for the big doe eyes but falling short. "I really thought I'd be late."

"I'm sure you didn't."

When I put my truck in reverse, Ryan frowned. "You're not staying for dinner?"

"I'm about to spend two weeks with you, I plan to enjoy my last night of freedom."

"But Nash is here." I gave him the why the fuck does that matter to me look and he rolled his eyes with a huff. "Whatever. Two weeks is a long time."

He meant it as a threat but I took it as a challenge. Whatever he had planned over the next two weeks, I would out maneuver.

****

"Are you trying to miss the flight?" Jane asked as I approached the gates waiting room. "We don't board for thirty minutes."

"Don't be like that," she glared playfully then frowned. "You missed lunch."

"You know I can't eat a big meal before flying."

"You weren't avoiding us?"

I set my bag down and kissed her cheek. Jane rolled her eyes when I took a seat without responding.

The room was packed. Almost everyone was there. Tia, Lon, and their two kids; Jay and Lexi. Logan, Abby, and their two kids; Kody and Kayla. Abby's brother Carter, his wife Amy, and their three kids; Daniel, Jackson, and Liz. Jane's best friends Mandy, her husband Rob, and their son Lukas. Ryan, Jane, and their two kids Kayde and Ellie. Nash and me. Cam, Sam, and Penny would arrive in a few days.

If you're counting, that's twenty-two people at the airport. Pure insanity.

We were hard to miss when we boarded the plane. We were everywhere. I sat in the back and watched everyone mill around. Everyone was joking and laughing. Full of the kind of energy you only have on vacation.

Most of the kids gravitated to Nash. Even though they hadn't seen him in a while and he was no longer at every event, it was obvious they loved him and wanted to pick up where they left off.

He had a deck of cards and was showing them some kind of magic trick. I missed most of it but apparently Nash had Kayde draw a flame on one card. He said he'd normally have someone light it on fire but 'airplane safety'. In the end Nash revealed a card, the same card Kayde had drawn the flame on, only now it was burned just as if it had been lit on fire.

Everyone was out of their damn minds over it. Nash was sitting sideways with his feet in the isle. He looked at me and smiled. I don't know how to explain it—like a portal for the sun; he brought its energy and light to life. It was the smile he was known for, the one that made me trip over myself all those years ago. Even as a grown ass adult I could feel its effects.

I gave him a half smile and went back to reading my book. Nash was one portal I was not interested in getting too close to. For as beautiful and life giving the sun can be, it can also be dangerous. If you're not careful, you risk getting burned—or worse.

****

Half a day later we landed. It took five separate passenger vans to get us to the house. Once there everyone shuffled their way inside. It wasn't easy fighting a sea of twenty-five people but I didn't pack much so I was able to make it in one go. On the way to my room I passed a stunned Nash in the foyer. He looked at me like are you kidding me? I shrugged and scooted sideways through the sea of people. Yes, the house was big. Yes, the house was beautiful. Blah blah blah.

I put my stuff in my room then started on a check list around the house. We had a rental company who kept up on things but no one ever cared for homes the way owners do. By the time I finished, I was exhausted. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I've always hated travel days. Doesn't matter if it's an overseas flight or a quick, two-hour jaunt—I'm always so tired after.

Everyone was still milling and still getting settled so I snuck off for a nap. At this point my family was used to me sleeping the first day away.

When I got up it was time to start dinner. We always did a simple BBQ on night one then spent the rest of the evening acclimating to vacation. The teens swam in the pool while the adults got stuff put away and drank beers on the patio.

Still tired, I decided to slip away and go to bed early. The sun had set and everyone sat around the patio warmers laughing. Abby and Jane had made a mess of the kitchen making blended beverages with umbrellas. The only person not sporting a drink was Nash.

I glanced at him before I slipped into the house. He was sitting forward in his chair, holding everyone's attention as he told a story. I hadn't been excited to find out he was coming along but if he could be a distraction so I could slip away, well, I guess it wasn't so bad.

****

"Don't you look beautiful this morning."

I didn't need Ryan to tell me it was a mess, still, I ran my fingers through my hair.

"Oh good, now your hair is as good as new."

I flipped my brother off and made my way to the coffee maker. I poured myself a cup then joined dipshit at the bar.

"How bad is it?" I asked.

Ryan smiled. "So bad it's going to be awesome."

"Clues?"

"And ruin the surprise? No chance."

I tried to play like I was irritated but we both knew I loved what was about to happen just as much as everyone else.

Not five minutes later the herd of wannabe adults flooded the kitchen. Not a single one glanced my way as they made breakfast; Pancakes, bacon, sausage, and a fruit platter. It had been the same breakfast since Kody started this fiasco ten years ago.

"They look like a professional crew. I'm impressed," Nash said as he slid into the chair next to me. Ryan and I had moved to the table to give the kids space to cook.

"They just needed a reason to work together," Ryan added, all smug like.

"And what's that?" Nash asked.

"Oh, you're about to see."

Nash looked at me, brow raised in question. I shrugged. What else could I say? There was no explaining what was about to happen or why.

Everyone took their seats. A minute later semi-beautifully plated breakfast plates were hand delivered to each adult. I had to give it to them, they were getting good at this.

When everyone was finished, the plates were whisked away. That's when the atmosphere really began to change. My family kept catching my eye and smirking. As much as I wanted to laugh, I remained stoic. It was my role.

When the last dish was in the dishwasher they ran through the house, down the hall, and to their dorm area.

"This is my favorite part of vacation," Jane singsong'd as she held her mug to her lips.

"Really?" Nash put his hands on the table. "No one's going to tell me what's going? C'mon Penn. Fill me in."

"I have no clue what's happening."

"Right," he laughed. Before he could say anything else, the thunder of feet against the wood floor got louder. Ryan reached around me and patted Nash's back.

"Don't worry, you're about to find out."

The kids came to a screeching halt then scrambled into a straight line. They stood perfectly straight with their hands behind their back. I eyed them skeptically then shook my head.

"No."

The corner of their lips curled. They were trying so hard to hold it back.

"No," I said again. "This has got to stop."

Kayde, Ryan's oldest, pulled a small box out from behind his back then kneeled down and presented the box to Kody. Kody bowed his head in respect before gently taking the box as if it was the most precious thing in the world.

Suddenly, the room filled with the sound of Native American music.

"You are the Alpha of your own life and have roamed the great plains of Oregon for many moons. In that time, you have gained great knowledge, defended your lands, hunted the land, and given so much to your neighbors."

Kody stepped forward, flaked on both sides by his posse. The music was getting louder, more intense.

"It is with great pleasure that we present this token of appreciation."

Lexi stepped forward, bowed, grabbed the box from Kody, turned, bowed to me, then set the box on the table.

I crossed my arms and shook my head. "I refuse."

"Nash, would you please assist the great Alpha?"

Nash, not knowing what was going on but thoroughly enjoying it, quickly pushed his chair back and kneeled next to me with his head down. "It would be the greatest honor bestowed on me to unveil such an offering to the Great One."

At this, almost everyone was struggling to save face, except Nash, who was alive with improv.

He set the box down by his feet and slowly removed the lid, folded back the tissue paper, and slowly held up the offering.

I groaned and rolled my eyes, "Are you kidding me?!"

The room erupted when Nash held up a pair of speedo style swim-shorts. On the front, where my junk would sit, was a wolf howling. Then Nash turned it around and...

Oh my.

Along the butt were five wolves. "And there's your pack mates."

I snatched the offending swimwear and quickly scooted back. "That's it," I yelled as I made my way for the boys. They smiled like their lives depended on it then gave chase. There were lots of them and only one of me but I didn't make it easy.

"The wolf is coming," JJ screamed as he tried to round the corner. The fucker had socks on and that was the end of him. I squeezed his thigh where he was most ticklish then moved on. The house was full of screaming as I chased them down one by one while the adults cheered from the table.

It felt like forever before I finally got Kayde and Kody. I had them both pinned down, tied together like a pretzel. I lifted the speedos so they could see. "What is this?" I demanded, trying not to smile.

"It's a gift," Kody cried. The noise was agony mixed with uncontrollable laughter.

"Well, you know what? Jokes on you. I'm going to wear this speedo every day starting now."

The look on their faces as I walked away was almost as good as the look at their faces when I came back with them on.

"Watch out, the wolfpack has arrived," Ryan whooped.

Everyone turned my way. It took a moment for everyone to get on the same page, to notice just how ridiculous the situation was. First, I wasn't built for speedos. Second, the speedo was absolutely terrible.

The kids were the first to lose their shit. They literally fell on the floor laughing. Then the adults followed. I let them look. I even spun around so they could get their fill.

"The wolf pack is going for a swim."

Still laughing, the kids scrambled off the floor. They were already wearing their swimwear, having changed when I changed. They raced me to the pool. From the kitchen I heard howling. It was Nash, immediately joined by my brothers, then the rest of the adults. The chorus of howls made the kids smile even more—so proud of themselves and their handy work.

"That's enough of that," I hollered as we reached the pool. Everyone jumped in and, after breaking the surface, I pulled the two closest victims underwater as punishment for being sassy.

We roughed around for a while. A bunch of adults joined us in the pool but stayed on the other side and out of the danger zone. Eventually, I tired and tapped out.

I grabbed a lone towel and snatched a pool chair. The sun was hot and the air was surprisingly dry. It almost felt like vacationing in Arizona. I laid out and let the sun work me over.

"Oh, I see the vacationing lizard is out. Such a rare sight with his farmer tan. You must be so embarrassed."

"Really? Vacationing lizard? That's what you got?"

"Whatever," Ryan said. I could hear him roll his eyes as he sat in the chair next to me.

"Whatever?" I mocked. "Vacationing lizard and then a lame whatever? Day two has not done you any favors."

"Vacationing lizard is a perfect name because it's exactly what you are. You're never like this at home. You never stay still for more than a minute. But the second we get here I can hardly pull you off the chair. I'm surprised you don't have some dumb book?"

I pulled some dumb book out from under the chair and held it up. Ryan took it from me and gave it a once over. "Why is it that you never read except on vacation? Suddenly, you're some—literary mastermind."

"Why do you judge my down time? If I want to lay in the sun for two weeks and read books, leave me be. I don't jump down your throat every time you sit on the beach in a cut off tee wearing Jane's sun hat."

"It's not Jane's. It's not even a woman's hat. I've told you this. It's called an adventure hat and it's made for men."

"What's got Ryan all worked up?" Logan asked, sitting on the other side of me.

"He's defensive about Jane's sunhat."

"It's not Jane's!"

"You still pretending it's an adventure hat?"

Ryan threw his hands up and sat back on his chair with a huff. Logan and I looked at each other and smiled. Then, Logan glanced down my body and laughed.

"Seriously, those are fucking hilarious."

I propped myself up enough to look at my newest swim shorts. "Yeah. They killed it this year."

"I bet that Alpha really howls when a cute Beta comes along," he teased, nodding at the wolf on my crotch. Both Ryan and Logan barked at the comment.

"Should we call Nash over and see?"

I laid back down without comment. If this was where the conversation was going then I was bowing out. Logan let out a brain piercing whistle and I knew it was over.

"On a scale of one to terrible, how much do you love Penn's new speedos?" Logan asked.

"They're—interesting. Actually, I don't hate them. Just wish someone would tell me the story behind them. I can't tell if it's a gift of love or punishment."

"Both," I said, not opening my eyes or really engaging in the conversation other than that.

"It's a gift of love," Ryan corrected. "All jokes aside, they put so much effort into finding the right swim shorts for Penn. It's literally a year-long process. They're already talking about plans for next year. No one else in the family gets this kind of care or attention. Honestly, it's my favorite thing, to see them light up the way they do."

"It was definitely amazing to watch. But why do they do it?" Nash asked.

"It started with Kody. He was—"

"Four."

"Yeah, he was four. Just a babe," Ryan continued. "Penn forgot to pack swim shorts so Jane and Abby picked some up when they went to the store. They knew Penn would hate them so they had Kody give them to him because no one could be mad at Kody, he was the first born in the clan."

"I remember the look on Penn's face when he saw the shorts," Logan laughed. "But it was nothing compared to Kody's face. His nose got all scrunched up and he took the shorts from Penn and said 'trash'. Then he literally walked to the kitchen and put them on top of the trash lid. Penn ran after Kody, tossed him in the air, then was like 'you did this? You bought me ugly shorts?! How dare you! He read poor Kody the riot act which Kody thought was the funniest thing that ever happened."

"The whole vacation was little Kody making fun of Penn and his 80's themed neon shorts. After that, it just happened. As the other kids got older, it became their thing. They buy Penn the most ridiculous shorts they can find and Penn freaks out on them for it."

"It seems like they outdid themselves this year."

"I don't know. They did good but there have been some real winners."

"Like?"

"There was the year of the Barbie shorts," Logan remembered. "Or the one piece."