Time In A Bottle Pt. 03

Story Info
What power has love but forgiveness.
8.5k words
4.31
6.3k
19

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 09/08/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

23 years later...

"Come on, sis, hurry up. The aunties will be at the airport before we are."

"Ok, I'm coming, I'm coming. Keep your shirt on. Did you even check the airline to see if they were on time? Because I just did, and their plane is about an hour late, so settle down, bro."

"Ok. Thanks for checking. I guess I'm just excited to see them again. And so happy they could all make it for the wedding."

"Jim, you know our aunties -- they wouldn't miss your wedding for anything. With everything that's happened, I'm sure they are salivating over this, just waiting to play aunties."

With everything that's happened, she thought...

After the twins were born, life got hectic. Kate and David kept their teaching positions as well as their jobs at the resort. Jasmine and Pete became the twin's second parents, and the kids became a fixture at both the resort and the school. Growing up, the twins got along wonderfully, always looking out for the other, teaching each other whatever they learned, and grew up as best friends.

Their biggest changes came when they hit puberty. Both had a growth spurt, with Jim topping out at just over 6 feet tall and Leilani only a few inches shorter. Both were involved in school activities, with Jim more interested in Environmental Science and Volcanology and Leilani in Marine Biology. Both graduated from college with honors, and both had jobs as soon as they had their degrees. During college, Jim started dating a girl with the same major as him, and they were soon deeply in love and starting to make wedding plans.

But before that, the family dynamics started to change when the twins were in their teens. Kate's art career started to take off as she started to become more and more well known. Her trips to art galleries for shows became more frequent and longer in length, and she was travelling from the West Coast of the mainland to French Polynesia.

David began to worry about their marriage, as Kate got more famous and less attentive to her family. Everything came to a head during a gallery show in San Francisco. The family couldn't attend, but Jen and Moira decided to surprise Kate on opening night. Moira had spoken to David, and he clued her in about his worries and suspicions. Soon after arriving, Moira knew he was wise to be worried as Kate's agent was draped all over her, holding her tight, squeezing her ass, and kissing her on the lips.

As the night went on, both friends kept a close eye on Kate, watching how she acted with her agent. Kate never left his side, and their PDA became more intense as the night wore on. Jen was seething inside but Moira kept her in check, waiting for the evening to end before they said anything. After a while they realized Kate was not mingling with the guests, and her agent was missing as well. Soon they reappeared, and their worst fears were realized. Kate's hair was messy, her smudged lipstick was being fixed, and she had the look and glow of someone who was freshly fucked.

Not able to stand it anymore, Jen angrily strode across the room, grabbed Kate's arm, and pulled her away from the agent, facing her. Before anyone could react, Jen slapped Kate hard across her face.

"What the hell's the matter with you? How dare you act like this? How dare you treat you family and friends like this. After all David did for you, after all the years of him loving only you, you turn around and do this to him? And what about your kids, the ones who loved you all their lives? You act like this and think it's all going to be all right? I hope schtupping this guy was worth it, because you just lost everything you've worked for in your life -- your husband, your children, your jobs, and your friends. All gone, just because you couldn't keep your panties on. We're done, Kate. Done. Don't call me or try to get in touch with me, because I will not answer. Goodbye, slut."

"Jen, wait. It's not what you think."

"It's not? Then what is it? I've been watching you all night, and agent-boy couldn't keep his hands off of you. And vice versa. And then you disappear and come back looking freshly fucked, and you say it's not what I think? Ok, then what is it?"

"Jen, please listen. Let me explain."

"Explain what? He forced you? That this was the first time and it meant nothing? Spare me the bullshit, Kate. I've known you too long. You really fucked up this time, and there's nothing you can say or do to save it. Goodbye, slut. I hope this is worth you selling lots of pictures."

And then Jen was gone, leaving Kate crying uncontrollably in the middle of the gallery. Her agent came up to hold her, and she broke away.

"Don't! How did I ever let you talk me into fucking you? I knew it was wrong, and now I've lost everything."

Before he could answer, Moira stepped up to Kate.

"I thought I knew you, Kate. I really thought I knew you, but obviously I was wrong. You really screwed the pooch on this one, and I don't know how you can fix it. All I can add to what Jen said is this -- as a friend, lose my number. As your doctor, you can still call me, but I wouldn't advise it, because you're not going to like what I have to say. And I think you better get your ass back home to see if you can possibly save your marriage, if that's what you want. Goodbye, Kate."

When Kate got home the next day, her key wouldn't work in the door. She knocked, but nobody answered, and it was then she saw the note taped to the doorframe. Nervously she started to read.

Kate,

Jen called me last night after she left the gallery. I'll leave our conversation private for now, but I bet you can figure out how it went. Suffice to say, I'm not happy -- at all. I've changed all the locks on the house, as well as the boat. Your clothes have been packed up and are waiting for you at the resort, where you have a room reserved until you can find a place of your own.

To say I'm heartbroken would be an understatement. I just can't understand why you chose to do this to me. To the kids. To all of us. But you did, and you have your reasons. Reasons which, by the way, I really don't want to hear. I wouldn't advise calling the kids, because they're angrier with you than I am. When you're ready, you can come over and empty your studio. I promise we won't touch anything in there. Please don't try to contact me, at least not for a while. If you need something, use Jasmine or Pete as a go-between. If you want to file for divorce, go ahead. If not, I'll do it, the sooner the better.

I'm sorry I disappointed you as a husband and couldn't give you everything you needed. I just wish you would've spoken to me about all this instead of throwing our relationship away.

Good-bye, Kate. I hope you find whatever it is you're looking for.

David

Finishing the note, Kate crumpled to the ground, sobbing. She sat there for a long time crying until she finally shouted to no one,

"What did I do? How could I have been so stupid?"

Kate was shocked when a soft voice answered.

"I don't know, Kate. How could you have been so stupid to throw all of this away?"

Looking up, Kate saw Jasmine standing in front of her, arms open and with tears filling her eyes. Kate jumped up and pulled Jasmine into a soul-crunching hug, crying into the shoulder of her friend.

They stood there for a long time, Kate crying and Jasmine simply holding her friend. When Kate's tears finally slowed, Jasmine looked at her with sad, tear filled eyes of her own.

"I haven't heard the whole story, but I think it would be best if we got you back to the resort and away from here. Your clothes are there, so get in my car, because you're in no shape to drive."

The divorce was relatively quick and mostly civil, with neither side asking for anything outlandish. Custody was shared, but with the twins entering college soon, that was a moot point. Kate found a small house to rent nearby and so was able to keep her teaching job.

It took more than a year for anything more than a terse 'good morning' to pass between them at school, and longer for anything resembling a conversation. That changed one day during a whole-school field trip to the beach. Each classroom teacher was in charge of their own students, with the help of parents. With David's students being the oldest, he had less to worry about -- he knew most of them would spend the day on their surfboards. With Kate being a specials teacher, she had no specific assignment, so she spent her morning helping out where she could.

At lunch time she spotted David sitting at a picnic table alone, so she thought this might be a good time to try to talk with him. David was startled when he heard Kate's voice.

"May I join you for lunch? I promise I won't bite."

"Suit yourself. I was almost finished anyway."

"David, please don't leave. I really want to talk with you. Please."

"I don't see that we have much to talk about. The kids are fine and ready to graduate next week -- and I trust you'll find someplace to sit other than with us. Both have summer jobs to earn some extra money for college. I read that your pictures are selling like wildfire -- congratulations on that. I also saw that you still are working with the same agent, so we really don't have anything else to talk about. Enjoy your lunch, Kate."

"David, stop. I know you're still really angry with me, but you've never heard my side of the story."

"Your side? Like how you spent several years sneaking around behind my back with agent-boy, fucking him whenever you wanted? Lying to me and the kids about your trips? Becoming remorseful only when you got caught? No thanks, Kate. I heard enough of that shit."

"That's really not fair, David, because that's not how it was at all."

"Not fair? You want to know not fair? Not fair is you lying to me for years. Not fair is you having an affair with your agent, getting fucked on your gallery trips. Not fair is what you did to our kids. Not fair is renouncing your marriage vows in order to have sex with someone else. Sorry, Kate. I just don't want to hear your lies anymore."

"Would it mean anything if I said I still love you, and that I never stopped loving you? I know I did so many stupid things in order to promote my art career, and I regret what I did. But I still love you and the kids more than you know. I'm sorry for everything I did and said that hurt you, and I wish I could go back in time and change it all. But I can't. All those hurtful things will always be out there, but I need to find a way for you to see past them and realize that I still love you. What can I do to show you I never stopped loving you?"

"I don't know, Kate. Put yourself in my shoes. Would you forgive and forget? Perhaps in the future, but not right now -- it still hurts too much. Goodbye."

Walking away, David could hear Kate softly crying, but he kept on walking, heading back to his students.

It took almost two more years for Kate to reconnect with her children. Any time she had an art show she would send invitations to the opening night parties to David, Jim, and Leilani, and they never showed up. Finally, one night during a show in Honolulu, Kate looked across the gallery and saw Leilani, Jim and another young lady all huddled together, looking at her pictures. Kate wanted to scream in delight, but instead hurriedly made her way across the room.

As Kate approached, Leilani looked up and saw her mother coming closer. She leaned over to Jim, whispered 'here she comes', and turned to Kate, face to face. They all stood there facing each other for several long moments. Tears filled Kate's eyes and she spoke with a hopeful voice.

"Leilani, Jim, it's good to see you. Thank you for accepting my invitation. Would it be ok if I gave you each a hug? It's been so long..."

Opening their arms, Leilani and Jim pulled Kate into a tight hug. She was crying instantly, as were her children.

"Oh Leilani, Jim, I'm so, so sorry for everything. I never meant to hurt you two or your father, and it all turned out so badly. Please forgive me. I love you two and I've missed both of you so much. I know how much I hurt you and I only want a chance to be part of your lives again. I've missed so much and I regret every moment I wasn't with you. Will you ever forgive me?"

The three stood there, holding each other, crying into each other's shoulders. Finally, Jim and Leilani kissed Kate's head together.

"Yes, mom. We're doing our best to forgive you. We love you and we want you back in our lives again."

"And there's someone I want to introduce to you. Mom, this beautiful lady is Melanie Nakamura -- my fiancée. Mel, my mom, Kate Silver."

"Melanie, it's so very nice to meet you. Your fiancée? Congratulations! Do you have a date set yet?"

"Not yet, but we'll set one soon. We're waiting until we graduate first."

Just then Kate's agent walked up to the group.

"Kate, I really need you to meet some people right now who are interested in several pictures. So come along..."

"I'll see them when I'm good and ready to see them. I'll be there soon."

"Kate, you really need to come now..."

Before he could finish his sentence, Leilani's eyes flashed with anger and her voice rang out.

"Listen, agent-boy. You're the reason my family is messed up and my parents divorced. So shut the hell up and back off. Kate will be there when she's ready."

With her outburst, Leilani silenced the large crowd and sent Kate's agent scrambling back to the potential buyers.

"Sorry, mom, but he really pissed me off. You better go mingle with the in crowd, and we'll talk to you later."

"You're not leaving yet, are you? Please stay and we can talk afterwards. Please."

Several hours later the small group was sitting in the hotel bar. The talk was light, filling Kate in on some of the many events she had missed over the years. They spoke about college and the jobs they had lined up upon graduation and about how Jim and Mel met and how their romance progressed. The one topic never mentioned was David, and Kate finally had the courage to bring him up.

"So how is your father doing these days? Is he still doing bike and kayak tours with the resort? Does he still have the boat? Does he ever mention me?"

"Dad is fine and yes he still does the tours. He bought a new boat last year and even though he won't admit it, he still thinks of you. He named the boat Time In a Bottle II.

What does that tell you?"

"He named it after our song?" Really?"

"You didn't hear any of this from me, but dad still loves you. He always has, but will never admit it. You hurt him, mom, and what you did cut him deep. He was depressed for so long we thought we would lose him as well. But he's better, and getting better all the time. But he still has a difficult time trying to forgive what you did to him, mostly because he doesn't understand why you did what you did. And until that happens, you will never get him back. And I know that's what you want."

"That's one thing you'll have to do. And if there is ever a chance to reconcile, you will need to get rid of agent-boy. As long as he is anywhere near you and in anyway connected with you, dad won't even think about it."

"And to tell you the truth, mom, I had to work exceedingly hard to get Leilani to even consider coming tonight. She felt your betrayal deeper than all of us, I think. I can't begin to tell you how many nights she cried herself to sleep before she finally built the wall between you and her. And now I need to ask the question of the night -- why did you cheat on dad?"

This was a question Kate hoped wouldn't come up tonight, but it was a question that deserved an honest answer. She was quiet for a time, pondering what to say.

"There's not an easy answer to that. I only wish there was. I think it ended up being a combination of things that started with you father and I drifting apart. He was busy with his tours and his drama kids. I was busy with my art. We both were busy with your lives. And then I found myself spending more and more time with Jeff doing gallery shows and we started to get close. I missed the closeness that I had with David, and suddenly there was Jeff, wanting to get close with me.

"And then one night it happened. I had a show in L.A. that exceeded our expectations, and we went out to celebrate. I drank more than I should have, and the next morning I woke up in Jeff's bed. He kept telling me he loved me, and for some reason I bought into that. I knew what I was doing was wrong but I couldn't bring myself to stop it.

"And then Jen and Moira saw me in San Francisco, and the rest, as they say, is history. So none of this is your fault. None of this is your father's fault. The fault lies totally within me. And the thing is, through it all, I never stopped loving David. I was stupid, hurtful, self-centered, and a total idiot. I thought if I kept selling my artwork, everything would be all right in the end. And I was wrong about that as well.

"I am so sorry for everything I put you two through. I know you deserved a better mom than I was, and I hope I can find a way to make this up to you. I realize how difficult it was for you to come here, and I'm very grateful you did. Plus, I'm thrilled to meet my future daughter-in-law and hope I can help with the wedding plans.

"But is there any hope for me and your dad?"

Jim nodded at Leilani and she answered for them both.

"Where there is love, there is always hope."

The next day Kate fired her agent as well as her entire management company. Within a week she had new representation from Miranda McCain. Miranda was a 50 something artist who had made her name as an artist and actor, and recently started her own agency. She was well known in all the right circles, and Kate's art career never lost a beat.

Over the next two years, David became more tolerant of Kate, talking to her numerous times on the phone, being friendlier at school, and once even literally bumping into her at a local coffee shop. As their interactions grew warmer, Kate held out hope that perhaps someday they would be together once again.

******

"Jim, you know our aunties -- they wouldn't miss your wedding for anything. With everything that's happened, I'm sure they are salivating over this, just waiting to play aunties."

"I know. I'm just excited to see them again. So are you coming with or not?"

"No, I'm going to stay here and help dad get the boat ready. You go and have them all to yourself for a while. Call or text me when you get them checked in at the resort. Remember, dad is grilling tonight, so tell them to pack their bathing suits and some clothes, and we'll meet you at home. Now get going, and drive carefully."

Once Jim left for the airport, Leilani made her way to the marina. David had gone there earlier to clean the boat up and make it ready to take out after the wedding. She was glad they were to be alone, because there were some things she wanted to discuss with him privately.

Walking up the dock, she saw her father wearing only a pair of shorts working on the stern of the boat. Coming closer she yelled,

"Permission to come aboard, captain!"

Looking up, David only laughed and waved his daughter on board. He always marveled at how beautiful she was and how much she reminded him of Kate at the same age. He was happy to see her, but sad to think that soon both she and her brother would be moving out.

"I thought you were going with Jim to the airport? What happened?"

"Nothing. I just thought he should have some time alone with the aunties and I wanted to come here and help you finish up. He's going to call me once they get checked in. And yes, I reminded him about tonight and what they need to pack."

"Great. You probably should've called, because I'm almost done here."