Time In A Bottle Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"May I join you, Kate?"

"Yes, please sit down. Oh Moira, I'm so sorry for everything I did to you. I was so stupid, and I thought I'd lost your friendship for good. Can you ever forgive me?"

"Kate, stop it. You've already apologized and I've already forgiven you, so don't go there anymore. I'm your friend, and even more, I'm your doctor. So tell me about your nightmares coming back."

"David called you, didn't he? He probably figured I wouldn't say anything to you, and he's probably correct. I've had them for several months now, but nothing like last night. It felt like the very first one I had after leaving the hospital. It was the first night back in the house, and even though it was our house, it felt like I was only a guest.

"But last night...I was so scared, Moira. I cried and shook for an hour, and the only thing that helped was David holding me. He kept telling me that everything would be all right. He comforted me like he used to do, and I felt so amazingly safe in his arms. But why are these starting up again? It frightens me that maybe I'm going to forget everything again, and I can't live like that. Oh god, Moira, what can I do?"

Kate leaned into her friend, who sat there and let her cry. When she was finished, Moira took Kate's hands into her own and looked her in the eye.

"I have theory, and it may sound crazy, so hear me out. When did the nightmares start to return?"

"Several months ago, not long after David and I started talking again."

"And last night's was the most frightening one yet, right?"

Kate nodded her head, to upset to speak.

"Perhaps this is because of your brain. Emotionally, you and David are at a point not unlike when you got out of the hospital. Back then, he loved you and you were a stranger. Now, you love him and he is like the stranger. I think once you two figure out how you both feel and what to do next, these will disappear. You get back together like you were, loving each other like you used to -- no nightmares. You decide to split permanently, and have nothing to do with each other, like you did -- no nightmares. Does this make any sense to you?"

"Yes it does, and it tells me that I have only two options. I just hope I can convince David to take another leap of faith and give me a second chance with option one, because option two will utterly destroy me. I can't lose him again, Moira. I just can't."

"After watching you two last night, I think you're on a good path. I'll talk to David and let him know what I think. After that, it's up to the two of you to find a resolution."

Four days after the wedding, Jim and Melanie moved into their new home in Kona, ready to start their new lives together. Several weeks later, Leilani moved out as well, starting her job as a Marine Biologist based on Maui. Things between David and Kate were still good, but still unresolved. It was summer, so David was busy at the resort, hosting bike and kayak tours, while Kate was busy with her art, spending time in her studio as well as visiting galleries.

One Thursday, after a long, hot late summer day in the sun on his bike, David came home and found a package sitting by the front door. A note was attached, and he read it as he stepped inside.

David,

I've been working on this for a while now. I hope you like it. I think it would look fabulous in the family room. Let me know what you think.

Kate

Unwrapping the package, he saw it was a portrait of their family -- Leilani, Jim, Melanie, Kate, and David. They were standing on the beach, with the ocean behind them, arm in arm, and smiling as if they didn't have a care in the world. It was magnificent. As David held it up he started to cry. He now knew he wanted Kate back in his life again, full time, and this was the reason -- family. They had been a family for so long, and it was time to make the family whole once again. His hate for what Kate had done was long gone, and he finally had forgiven her as well. He took his phone out and sent her a text.

Kate,

The portrait is beautiful. Would you like to come over and help me hang it?

I love you,

David

As soon as he hit send, he heard a voice behind him.

"Yes, I'd love to help you hang it, David."

He turned and saw Kate standing in the doorway. They stood there, looking at each other, each wondering what the other was thinking. Finally, David opened his arms and Kate ran to him, grasping him tightly. When she could at last find her voice, she whispered,

"Do you, David? Do you really love me?"

"Yes, Katie. I really do love you, and I'm ready to start our life over again. Are you?"

"Yes, oh yes, David. If you'll have me, I'm so ready. Too much time has gone by because of my stupid mistake, but I'm here now, and I'm never leaving, if you'll have me."

Kate stepped back and looked at David.

"Can I come home, David? To our home, the one I never want to leave again? Can I come home and sleep with you and make love with you in our bed? Can I come home and be your wife again? Can I come home?"

David picked Kate up and swung her around, kissing her all the while.

"Welcome home, Katie."

And the nightmares disappeared forever.