Tom's Parallel World Pt. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He reeled off occasions when countries of his world enslaved other indigenous people, of their own world, citing the past behaviour of some countries as they spread their influences across the globe. He also used his scant knowledge of the lizard people to underline the risks.

This time Edgar interjected, claiming they would send negotiators.

"No... They'll interpret worm holes as acts of aggression, with each country, on each parallel world, acting independently. Whilst you may get lucky with one country sending diplomats to negotiate, others will send in Special Forces to conquer, who will shoot first and ask questions later. You don't have the experience to counter such invasions. You've not had a single world war. Bob, you have no idea how despicable their determination and weaponry can be."

Tom elaborated over what little he knew about the horrors of his world's two world wars and of how armed forces developed specialised troops could operate behind their front lines.

Whilst Edgar had a sceptical sneer on his face, Bob listened and nodded in concern. Tom glanced at Olga for her reaction and she now had a focussed look in her eyes, as she was now contemplating the information.

"Is there any way you could include some independent scientists in a Royal Commission? Whilst we know it is the North American Teleportation Organisation who are in control, how high up does this go? Are they doing the same in other countries? Do they have anyone who acts as an independent review body?"

"Hmm, that may be a good idea. I'll have a chat with the science community and I have contacts in NATO. I might stir things up, although as it is research for an existing wormhole issue, rather than new wormholes, it doesn't come under their remit."

"They're not random though, give me tide tables, and orbital charts and I'll be able to guess it to within a day. Any parallel world with scientists will work it out to the minute and probable location. Worse still, with the use of the zombie drug, there is already a link between organised crime and a national, government backed organisation, the IGC let alone NATO?"

"No, that is not lost on me... It's how I can fight a democratically elected authority, even if supported by a criminal element. I'll need concrete proof before I make a move."

Olga stepped into the conversation, her eyes narrowed in anger.

"Somehow, this piratical badger, Brock, who has developed into a master criminal, is key to all of this."

He held his palm up to her once more, trying to calm her, causing Tom to wonder what she would be capable of if unleashed, exciting him further. Bob returned his attention to him.

"His organisation has been a thorn in my nation's side for decades, but bureaucrats have stepped in at every turn."

"Now you know why, they're scratching each other's back. I Wonder how much he is paying them, if he can afford a submarine."

Bob solemnly nodded in agreement, now looking sternly at Tom.

"Now, if you could rid me of this miscreant without murdering him, I'd be eternally grateful."

"Bob... You're on dodgy ground."

Edgar loudly cut in.

Olga stiffened in her seat, her hackles raising, said, "I'd gladly do it, my king; he would be no match for me."

She raised a paw off the table and a claw slid out of her a finger, like one of Wolverine's knives, shocking Tom but excited to see her white fur raised almost vibrating with power and menace.

"Olga, you are too precious and I needed at my side."

She retracted her claw, and her shoulders slumped in acquiescence, bowing her head to her king.

Bob saw Edgar's frustration.

"Now, now Edgar, his fingers have been behind too many schemes and scams, and now Tom brings the possibility of greater threats, but we've never been able to hold him. Judges and juries find in his favour, despite being caught red-handed. If you could make him disappear, then my country would be forever in your debt, even if they never knew it."

"BOB."

Edgar snarled, his teeth on display, and hair now rising to attention, showing his anger towards his brother.

"You're going too far. I can NOT condone such behaviour from my brother or my king."

Tom sensed the atmosphere in the room change, so stepped in to calm the brothers.

"But surely, if he goes, one of his gang will just step up to fill his boots."

"We thought of that, but they wouldn't last long. Brock seems to have your suspicious, paranoid driven scepticism, as he's always a step ahead, smelling out any scheme to trap him before we are even close, which supports your theory that he is also from another world."

Edgar calmed slightly, but his anger still simmered.

Tom held back a snigger, as he saw he could turn the conversation to his advantage.

"You see Edgar; there is some use for my paranoia. If I was to help in his... disappearance, would I get an immunity from prosecution?"

"Not if it's murder... I can protect you if you obtain irrefutable evidence, but I can't be linked to anything untoward or illegal."

Olga leapt to his defence.

"I would stand with you. Even for a human, you have the heart of a true warrior, searching for truth and justice."

Edgar's voices rang out in frustration and Bob's joined his, but commanding, "Olga."

Despite her size, she shrank back in her chair, looking apologetically at Tom, who now recognised something else in her eyes. Rather than curiosity, he saw admiration, which ignited his excitement towards her once more.

Tom countered, feeling he still had the upper hand.

"If I can find evidence or make him disappear... Could you do me a favour?"

"Ha ha... Yes, of course."

"Could you let Becky become top dog when she marries Thomas?"

Once more, Bob and Edgar spoke in unison, "Whaat?"

Bob chuckled afterwards, but Edgar's face reflected his anger.

"Thomas doesn't want to replace either Edgar or Becky. He's happy being the captain of his own boat and Becky sees it as her birthright. The last thing you need is a disgruntled Becky."

Edgar had to concede that point, knowing his daughter as he did.

"He has a point."

"If we do it for one, every female will want it."

Tom felt the advantage was still his.

"So what? It will be seen as a progression, moving with the times and being a modern king."

Neither brother looked convinced, and then, out of the blue, Bob conceded.

"Okay, but you have to deal with Brock first..."

"You'll also have to stop those wormholes. The safety of this and possibly other parallel earths could be at stake."

"I'll look into it."

"Get some accountability and transparency for this research, or at least find out what they've released to allow further funding?"

"I have my ways... Being King helps."

Bob suddenly looked distracted, holding his finger up to his ear.

"Yes... I'm not sure... bare with me."

The King's finger dropped.

"Sorry Tom, Edgar, my private line. They have separated both Dan Walker and Mike Burchell from the guests and kept them apart. The palace guards with them say they are behaving strangely... They keep asking for another man and Vixen. They suspect this other man is close, but his name doesn't appear on this afternoon's guest list."

"They are off script and don't know what to do. They didn't plan on them being separated. The zombie drug must have taken full effect after this time, and they need instructions. Do you have any surveillance cameras in the palace so we can watch your guests?"

Edgar spoke up with some pride in his voice.

"Of course he doesn't. This isn't your world."

"Ah... Actually, we do. Follow me."

Olga grinned as the three rose from the table. Rather than staying close to Bob, she walked alongside Tom, leaving him unsure whether she was guarding him or the king. Although despite the odd glance, her eyes looked ahead to Bob, as he guided them out along the huge hallway.

They continued to follow through a doorway, which led to a much smaller, narrower hall that they scurried along, to a spiral set of stairs, through another long thin corridor, to enter a bare room.

A large poodle sat at a table, scouring several large screens, like any shopping centre security office back in Tom's home world. Hearing them enter, he looked over his shoulder, standing as soon as he saw Bob, but also showed a hint of fear as he nodded to Olga.

"Brian, this is Tom and Edgar. Tom, what do you think?"

"Well, the third man is going to be wondering where our two zombies have gone, depending on the ruse you've used to lure them away."

Brian glanced at Bob, who turned to Tom.

"We kept them separate, with the offer of an audience with the king."

"Can you scan around anyone here who is new, or keeping out of the limelight?"

Tom asked, watching the screens carefully as Brian manipulated the cameras. Olga stepped close to Tom, stopping short of leaning on him as she looked over his shoulder. He was sure he could sense something more about her now, other than her faint body scent, almost hormonal.

They examined each of the day's visitors, dressed to the nines, mammals and humans alike. Most had congregated in large groups with drinks in their hands and pamphlets.

Brian panned the camera across lawns outside the palace, and flower beds showing all the guests mingling. Tom caught sight of a lone guest tucked half out of sight by one of the stone pillars by the doors.

"Brian, can you pan back to the pillars... There, the light tabby cat hugging the pillar?"

As they watched him, his mannerisms didn't fit with the sun and warmth of the afternoon in London. He tried his best to remain inconspicuous but on edge, ready to run should anything happen. His eyes kept scanning the grounds, searching.

"Is there a way you can pull him aside?"

Brian looked at Bob, unsure of the answer to give.

"We got away with the two, as they are regulars here and pro-monarchy, but a third may be a risk."

"Keep a keen eye on him. Can we find out who he is?"

Brian scanned the guest lists on his desk.

"I don't recognise him, but Dan Walker signed in a Trevor McDougal as a guest."

"Any luck with finding anything on them, or what they are saying?"

"Michael's kept me informed, but no, they just ask for a Mr Hubert or vixen, ignoring anything else we ask," Bob answered.

"Here's an idea. Are there any Hubert's on your list, Brian?"

"No, we've already checked."

"Send someone to call for a Hubert and let's see if Trevor pricks his ears up or panics. Keep the other cameras on the other guests, just in case he isn't our man. Is it possible to have sound on, so we can hear his name called out?"

King Bob called his aid, Michael and gave him instructions to have a butler make an announcement for a Hubert to make himself known.

Tom, being on a roll, continued...

"Then the two we have, what if we could convince them, the vixen had sent someone, they could open up then?"

"Dan is frequently here. It's possible he has seen every palace employee."

"He hasn't seen me, though." Tom offered.

"Edgar, can we call Becky?"

"Why?"

"This vixen has a very noticeable perfume. If Becky confirms what it is and we can source some... They may be more likely to believe she has sent me with new instructions if they smell her on me."

The Three dogs and Olga looked at Tom, astonished at the link and his thread of thought. Edgar lifted his wrist phone to his mouth and called Becky. Olga placed her paw softly on Tom's shoulder, catching his attention; he looked up to find her bent in close, smiling at him.

She whispered, "A hunter's mind."

Knowing he had her approval pleased Tom and a rush of excitement ran through him, emanating from her paw. He had little time to enjoy it, as they soon heard Becky respond to the call. Tom piped up.

"Hi, Becky, Tom here... Do you know what the name of the perfume we smelled on the vixen?"

"Yeah, Tom, it's called Nightshade... "

"Thanks."

Tom looked at king Bob, who was already asking Michael to find the perfume, even if they had to borrow some off one of the staff. Brian had turned up the volume on the cameras and the burbling chatter of the guests out in the garden filled the room.

The one camera caught a butler walk out onto the stone steps between the pillars. They clearly heard him call for everyone's attention and then asked for a Hubert to come forward. The cat, still trying to maintain a low profile behind the pillars, leapt out of his skin, with his tabby fur standing on end and panic crossed his face.

Tom almost shouted, "He's our man! We need to have him, whatever you do, pull him to one side and isolate him."

No soon as Tom stated the obvious, the cat called Hubert or Trevor, moved to a large planter on the top steps and dropped something into the foliage.

"Brian, get security to pick up whatever he dropped in that planter."

Tom instructed, as Brian spoke into his microphone.

King Bob also instructed.

"Michael, the tabby cat, is moving back into the palace. We need to pull him to one side and separate him. Before he leaves, he's walking through the atrium now."

Brian swapped the main screen to another camera so they could see the feline called Hubert, scurrying to the entrance to leave. Two security guards closed in and tried to stop him, but he was too quick and put on a burst of speed.

Brian smirked as he flicked a switch. The fugitive reached to push the exit door open but it wouldn't budge and the two chasing guards caught him to spirit him away through a side door.

A knock came on the door and a young terrier dog peered into the room.

"Ahem... Your majesty, Phillip here... Michael thought you'd best see this, and you asked for some perfume?"

Phillip handed King Bob a bag and a small bottle labelled Nightshade.

"I can recognise you, you know... Thanks Phillip."

Phillip left the room with a smile on his face as King Bob passed the bag to Tom for him to examine. Even without opening the cloth bag, he could feel the two syringes. He looked inside, but there was nothing else inside. He pocketed the bag, pleased that they had bungs on the needle points.

"Bob, who is the target today? Whether you or another key person in government. We need to strike whilst the iron is hot... Take me to them."

"But you look a mess," Brian advised in shock, glancing up and down at Tom's apparel.

"All to help them believe I'm from vixen and not with the palace."

King Bob almost skipped out of the room, followed by the others. Olga's paw loosely gripped Tom's arm, which sent a shiver of excitement through him.

Edgar still had a disapproving cloud hanging over him.

"I think you're actually enjoying this, Bob."

"Oh, Edgar, I don't have an exciting life like you. This is fun and much better than entertaining boring guests on the lawn."

They dodged down another long narrow hallway, then into a square hall, with two dogs sat on chairs outside two doors. Seeing the king arrive, the pair of guards stood to attention.

"Your majesty," the pair chimed.

"What have you found on them?"

"Nothing much, sir, just handkerchiefs and wrist phones."

As Tom addressed the King "Bob," the guards looked angrily on, disapprovingly, causing him to cough nervously but pleased to have Olga alongside him, as she straighten up, protectively looking down on them.

"Er, King Bob, is there any way you can check their phones for who they've been in contact with in the last two days?"

Edgar burst out in shock.

"Tom, we're civilised."

Bob coughed.

"Sorry Edgar... Yes, we can. I'll ask one of our security specialists to have a look."

"Is there anyone in with them?" Tom asked the two guards, who nodded to confirm.

"Bob, are these rooms also under surveillance?"

Edgar tutted as Bob led them to a third door off the hallway. Inside the small room were more screens and another guard, watching split screens, showing multiple cameras in both rooms. Each of the rooms had a pair of guards inside, each holding a very nervous captive.

"Can you record sound and vision?"

The operator, after looking at King Bob and Olga, gave Tom an incredulous look, but confirmed that he could.

"Good, make sure you record everything... I've an idea. Which one looks the most nervous?"

He pointed to the left screen and confirmed, "Dan."

"Which room is he in?"

"The left one."

"There's no time like the present," Tom said more to himself, as he ducked out the room, closely followed by Olga.

He explained his plan to the two guards outside, who readily agreed with Olga crouching behind him with her paw on his shoulder and knowing the King was also watching them from the security booth. Tom moved to the far end of the hall, so as not to be seen when they open the door.

As soon as Tom nodded, the first guard opened the left door and ducked inside.

"Men, you're needed. There's an intruder in the palace and we have to find them... Dan, you stay here, okay?"

A muffled confirmation came from inside the room as the guards exited. Everyone outside shushed them to be quiet. They both looked oddly at Tom and questioningly at the other guards, but seeing Olga reassured them.

As they closed the door, the first guard shouted, "He's close, quick!"

They slammed the door and locked it, then slapped their paws noisily on the marble floor, so you could hear their claws scratching at it, as if they were running. The second pair of guards stared in disbelief as the first pair struggled not to laugh.

Olga encouraged the four guards to enter the surveillance room with her, closing the door quietly behind her. Tom dabbed a little of the Nightshade on his sleeve and went to the left-hand door. He held his breath and prepared himself, knowing he had an audience.

In the security room, they saw Tom enter the room, like a burglar.

"Dan, are you okay?"

Dan nodded, but was unsure of who Tom was.

"Vixen sent me as backup. Hubert had to escape. They nearly caught him. Have you said anything?"

"Nnnno, Hubert was to give us the syringes. Do you have the syringes?"

"No, we didn't expect them to know about Hubert. Vixen didn't have time to tell me the plan, but she asked me to help. What was your plan?"

"Mmm, I don't know... I was told not to tell anyone."

"But it's me, Vixen sent me, as she trusts you. Hubert and Mike have left you. I can help, but only if you tell me everything."

Dan sat there confused for a short while, but after a little more coaxing from Tom, he elaborated. Once he started, he couldn't stop as he explained their plan. How he signed in Hubert as a guest under a friend's name and how they were to escape by pulling the fire alarm, but he didn't confirm who the target was.

"So, the king was your target?"

"Yes, and Mike was to get his aid, Michael. Failing that, we were to receive new instructions from Hubert."

It took a little more coaxing for Dan to explain that Vixen wanted to be inside the palace and in control. Tom then feigned hearing someone returning to the hall, so he could excuse himself and left, promising to return, but relocked the door.

He dodged into the surveillance room to an appreciative Olga. After a brief discussion with the guards, they repeated the process, with Mike in the right-hand room.

Mike confirmed everything that Dan had told Tom, after a similar amount of coaxing, and filled in a few gaps. Once again, he feigned hearing someone coming and left.

Back in the surveillance room, Bob looked frustrated.

"Tom, as much as I'd love to stay and enjoy act three, but my aids are screaming at me for my presence in the garden. My wife has discovered that Edgar is here, and she wants to hear all the latest family gossip, so I'll have to leave you in the capable hands of Olga. She'll be able to take you to where they're holding the cat, Hubert."