Trabbian Justice Ch. 16

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Much of her efforts went into monitoring the substance abuser diversion program. While more data was needed, the preliminary numbers were very encouraging-it had reduced the rate of drug test failure, and the need to find the offender and re-administer the punishment by over 80%. That was a considerable budget savings for the Department and her bosses were pleased. They sent Priya to other Punishment Centers around the state to help them start similar programs. There were even a few articles in the local press about it.

One day, she got a call from her boss, Paul Roberts, the Director of Inmate Services. After some small talk, he asked her, "Have you ever heard of Trabbia?"

Priya's heart skipped a beat. 'Oh my God,' she thought, 'Somehow they have found out about what happened when I was there and now I'm going to be fired for not disclosing it. And then I will have no choice but to tell Sanjay and probably my parents too. Shit!'

Priya tried to stay calm. "The South East Asian country?" she asked, hoping her voice didn't give her panic away.

"Yes," Paul replied. "I assume you know that they cane low-level offenders as we do here?"

"Yes, I've heard they do," Priya said, not revealing that she knew this first hand.

"Well, drug use these days isn't limited to the West and they've been having issues with offenders who are using just as we have. Somehow, they saw one of the articles about your program and they are interested."

Priya breathed a sigh of relief, as this didn't sound like Paul was about to fire her. "I would be happy to speak with them, Paul."

"Well, they seem to want to speak with you very much. In fact, they would like to invite you there to tour some of their facilities and advise them on how to set up a program. They offered to pay all your travel expenses. "

"Wow, Paul," Priya said, "I'm flattered. What do you think about this?"

"Priya, I think this would be good for the Department and good for you, but it's entirely up to you if you want to go. We can get someone to cover for you, so as far as I'm concerned it's your call. Take some time and think about it and let me know."

"Absolutely, Paul, I will. Thanks," Priya said as she hung up the phone. She had never considered, in her wildest dreams that she would ever return to Trabbia. She recalled that part of her sentence there was that she was banned from returning there for 10 years, but that had now passed. But she had a husband and, given the distance, it would involve being away from him at least 10 days or even 2 weeks. She would have to discuss it with Sanjay.

That night after dinner, she told him about the invitation. "Trabbia?" he asked. "Isn't that where you went on the archaeological thing back in college?"

"Yes," Priya replied.

"I'm sure you would be interested to see how the excavation has progressed since then," Sanjay said.

"Sure," Priya answered, "But that isn't the purpose of the visit, of course."

"I understand," he said. "What did your boss think about it?"

"He thinks I should go, but he said it's my decision."

Sanjay's response was quite definitive, "Well, then I think you should go too. It's a great opportunity for your career and it's always fun to revisit places that you saw as a younger person."

"But how will you manage without me?" Priya asked, giving him her best come hither look.

"Well, there's always Melissa at Starbucks," he said. Priya punched him in the arm.

"Seriously, the Simmons project deadline is at the end of the month, so you wouldn't see me much of me for the next few weeks anyway. I'll get even more done if I'm all alone and have nothing to do but work."

This seemed perfect to Priya. She put aside her reservations and called Paul the next day to tell him she would go. He gave her the co-ordinates for the point person in the Trabbian Ministry of Justice, a woman called Dompa. In an exchange of emails, it was agreed that Priya would leave in about a week and plan a visit of 10 days or so. They would arrange a visa, tickets and hotel. She should just keep receipts for meals and other incidentals and they would reimburse her. Priya asked that she have a couple of days upon arrival in the capital, Pranda, to recuperate from the long fight before any meetings were scheduled. That was perfectly fine with her hosts, Dompa told her. Priya was going back to Trabbia after all these years. She was both extremely excited and somewhat fearful, but she knew she had to go.

THE END

12