Traffic Girl - Rita Ch. 76

Story Info
Rita's announcement changes everything.
2.4k words
4.77
3.7k
7

Part 188 of the 207 part series

Updated 03/30/2023
Created 07/22/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's Note: There is no sex in this chapter, but the end of this book won't stay that way for long! Apologies for these two back-to-back slower chapters on the debauchery front, but for a long time I've envisioned these events to be part of the finale of this book. I think it does justice to this main character, and I hope you agree.

* * *

I didn't sleep. Rita dozed off with her head on my chest and, before it got too chilly outside, I roused her and helped her inside. Kat slept peacefully, and Rita and I carefully and quietly slipped into bed beside her once we had gotten ready. My mind refused to let me even doze off. The agony of waiting until morning was hell. I sifted through any number of possibilities that might lie behind Rita's fear. Part of me was angry that she obviously had a secret. Another part of me wondered who he was.

Finally, I reached for my phone to text Jess.

"You can't sleep either?" Rita said faintly.

"How could I?" I said, a little gruffly. "The unknown is probably my biggest fear."

I sent Jess a message that simply read, "Rita needs a family meeting ASAP tomorrow. Big."

"What?" Jess responded immediately. "What about?"

"Don't know," I wrote back. "Just be ready for it, please."

"Won't stay too late," she said.

I put down my phone. My eyes had adjusted to the darkness in our bedroom. I watched Kat as she slept on her back. Her breathing was so gentle. I noticed for the first time the faintest frown line at the corner of her mouth. I looked where her stomach must have been underneath the comforter and imagined the growing tadpole inside her that, in only a few months, would be our child. Then the fatalistic thought crept into my head: would the baby have two moms or three? Then a cynical thought crept in. Well, two is better than one. My mood matched the darkness the blackout curtains enabled.

Rita's breathing had become more shallow. I raised my head slightly and saw she had fallen asleep. Seeing her, the gentle slope of her nose and her full lips, calmed me. My thoughts veered back closer to the rational. This was Rita. My Rita. Always even-keeled, always a rock, it was okay that she had a problem. Whatever it was, we could overcome it. She was a perfectionist. She was almost stoic sometimes. If she needed to lean on us for something, she might overreact in her presumption of how we would respond to it. It would be fine.

Still, I couldn't sleep. I got up and went to the kitchen. I made coffee and picked up the book on the golden age of Hollywood I was reading. It was a welcome distraction and worked effectively to keep my mind away from speculating. Around 3 a.m., Jess came home. She was carrying her heels and practically ran to the couch when she saw I was still awake.

"Are you okay?" she asked. "What happened?"

I noticed she was mostly sober. I relayed very briefly my conversation with Rita. Then I punctuated it by saying, "Do you think she could have found someone else?"

"Oh, John," Jess said, putting a hand on my thigh and shaking her head. "This is Rita. She is so full of devotion there is zero chance of that."

"But something is really, really wrong," I said.

"Rita won't even see Ashley since Kat found out she was pregnant," Jess said, referring to the stunning football wife who was obsessed with playing with Rita when she could find the time. "She's nesting as much as Kat is. Or maybe being a den mother is more accurate!"

"I'm really worried," I said.

"Because you're so much like Rita," Jess said. "You're both perfectionists, but if something doesn't live up to your ideal, you think it's shit. It's really kind of cute that that's your biggest flaw. But she is the same way. I'm sure it's nothing."

"How can you be so sure?" I said.

"Okay, maybe not sure," Jess conceded, "but I can't imagine it being anything so serious we can't handle it."

"I hope not," I said.

"You need to get some sleep, baby," Jess said and kissed my cheek.

"I can't," I said. "You go, though. You need it. How was the party?"

"A blast," she said. "We almost got kicked out because Alix and Jamie were fucking in the bathroom."

I chuckled.

"The bouncer recognized Jamie and didn't have the heart to do it!" Jess said.

"I'm a little surprised," I said. "I thought Katie and Jamie were together."

"Well, it depends on your definition of together," she said.

"I'm not sure I'm the best person to give that definition," I said. "Mine is pretty twisted off the straight and narrow path."

"Katie and Jamie are both Type A in the strongest way," she said. "They will only do whatever they want. So when they're together, they might be into each other, or they might be using it as a springboard to find something else."

"So kind of a relationship by convenience," I said.

"Yes and no," Jess said. "I think they like hanging out. I know for sure they like fucking each other. If you pressed me on it, I'd say they are like the perfect definition of friends with benefits. They don't want to get more deeply involved than that."

"Interesting," I said.

"It is," Jess said. "And you are so cute."

I laughed. "Why do you say that?" I asked.

"Because you're trying to act like seeing Katie with someone else doesn't make you a little bit jealous," she said.

"I'm not jealous," I said.

"Yes you are," Jess said confidently. "You like her. And it's fine. We all know it and are fine with it. Katie is an absolute doll. She has a heart of gold, and she is so much fun. I love her!"

"I like her, too," I said.

"Not as much as she likes you," Jess said and stood up. "Now I'm going to bed. I quit drinking as soon as you texted. But now I'm so sleepy. Get some rest, my love. We'll get this all sorted out in the morning."

* * *

I finished my book around dusk. Then I sat outside with fresh coffee as the sun came up. It was a perfect, slightly crisp morning. Dew sparkled on the grass as the day's first rays of sunlight hit it. The stale smell of marijuna tickled my nose from the party the night before. Then I noticed a bit of a stale smell emanating from myself. I needed a shower.

Instead of taking the risk to wake up the girls, I went upstairs to a guest bedroom and showered. As I walked downstairs, wrapped in a towel, I heard the coffee maker bubbling away again. It had become standard for the girls to all wake up at the same time, and this morning was no different. It was as if our body rhythms needed us together to function properly.

I hope it stays that way, I thought to myself, and then brushed the negativity aside.

"Good morning, girls!" I said cheerfully when I came down the stairs.

"I love a sexy man in a towel," Jess said, teasing.

"Go change so we can have this family meeting!" Kat said, and I could tell she was anxious.

And then, once I got clothes on a few minutes later, we sat in the living room on the couch. Rita sat slightly separated from Kat, Jess, and me, which gave her room to address all of us at once.

"So, I'm dying, Rita, and I don't understand," Kat said. "What is this about?"

"I have to tell you all something," she began after taking a deep breath, "and I just want to say in advance that I'm so, so sorry for this."

"What is it?" Jess asked. "Seriously, Rita, just tell us. It can't be that bad."

"It's easier to rip off the bandaid," I agreed.

"Okay," Rita said. She looked scared. I felt Kat's fingernails dig into my thigh. "Remember when we were in Vegas, and, Kat, you said it was okay if I did some coke and partied that night? Well, I did, of course you know that, and I made a huge mistake. Absolutely huge, and I just don't know if we can come back from this."

"Oh my god, girl, slow down!" Jess said. "Take a deep breath! I can't even understand a word you're saying!"

Rita stopped and took two long, deep breaths.

"Rita," Kat said, looking directly at her, "it's okay. Just tell us, all right?"

"Sweetheart, it's going to be fine," I added.

"Okay," Rita said, taking one more controlled breath in and out. "I guess I was more fucked up than I thought I was when we were partying. But in Vegas, I forgot to take my birth control pill two days in a row."

She paused. Kat and Jess each put a hand on my legs.

"And now my period is two weeks late," Rita continued. "And I'm absolutely terrified that this is going to ruin everything for us." She unsuccessfully fought back tears. "This is your moment, Kat, and your dream, and it's been such a long time coming, and I can't believe I've ruined it like this."

For a long moment, Rita's sniffling was the only sound in the room.

"Ruined it?" Kat finally said with a soft, warm, and gentle voice. "How could that ever ruin it?"

"I think I'm pregnant," Rita said.

"Oh my god," Jess said.

I was speechless. Rita's eyes were puffy and red. She wiped a hand indelicately across her nose.

"I should have really realized it sooner, but I don't know, I just was distracted, and the other day when we were having sex, John, I realized I was two days off on my birth control and," she stopped to take a breath.

"Rita, stop," Kat said. Her voice dripped with genuine warmth. She stood up and sat next to her and simply gave her a hug. "If you're pregnant, then I can't think of anything more perfect in the whole world. Do you understand that? How amazing would it be that we could go through that together?"

"But you've wanted this for so long, and I don't want anything to keep from making it as special as you've dreamed it would be," Rita said, her voice still cracking.

"Just take a test!" Jess suggested enthusiastically. "We have a whole box left!"

I stared in stunned silence, but when Rita's eyes rested on me, I couldn't help but simply beam at her.

"Are you for real?" I said.

"I'm afraid so," Rita said.

"There's nothing to be afraid of, girl," Jess said. She nearly leaped from the couch to go retrieve the pregnancy tests from our bathroom.

"There is nothing in the whole world that would make me happier than us being pregnant together," Kat told her. "Could you believe that? We would get to do something so special together."

"But all the attention would be split, and two newborns, and double the expenses, and two nurseries, and it just isn't how we planned it!" Rita said, the words flying out of her mouth.

"Here you go!" Jess said, thrusting the box into Rita's hands.

"How is any of that bad, Rita?" Kat asked. "Are you not ready for it? Is it not what you want?"

And when Kat said those final words, Rita broke down into sobs. Initially, we couldn't hear what she was saying because the words were muffled into her hands. Finally, she pushed her hands aside and said between gasps.

"I do want it," she said. "I want it more than anything else in the world. I love everything about the three of you, and I'm so sorry I'm making things complicated because this isn't how we planned it!"

Jess laughed and said, "I swear, if you're not pregnant, you have the hormones of a pregnant lady!"

Kat and I laughed, and Rita smiled as she took the box of Kleenex Jess offered her.

"Go take the test, sweetie," Kat said. "Then we'll know if this is the happiest day our family has ever had or if it's just another great one. Okay?"

"Okay," Rita said reluctantly.

Her legs were unsteady when she initially stood up, but she steadied herself and walked toward the bedroom. When she disappeared from sight, Kat and Jess almost immediately ran into the bedroom themselves, waving me after them. It hadn't even been two weeks since Jess and I had anxiously waited in this same spot for the same news.

Rita had closed the door behind her, but it opened a short time later.

"Kat, do you really promise me you're not going to be mad?" Rita said, having regained her composure. She held up the stick, and the two pink lines showed clearly.

"Oh my god!" Kat exclaimed. "No, I'm not mad! We're going to have babies together! Rita! I love you!"

Even more so than when Kat had made the same announcement days earlier, my head spun. The whirlwind of emotions from the past twelve hours had been unlike anything I'd ever experienced. I had gone from the law of convincing myself that Rita had cheated and was going to leave me to a high I never contemplated. Two babies. Kat and Rita. Pregnant together.

The next thing I knew we were all embracing, a warm, exhausted, relieved hug. Jess and Kat broke off to embrace, and I held Rita's hands in mine. I moved in for a kiss, and her lips felt softer and more comforting than ever before.

"I'm sorry, John," she said. "I was just so scared. I'm a planner. This wasn't in the plan."

"You know, my love," I said. "Sometimes the plan turns out to be less good than real life."

"I love you," Rita said. "No matter what."

"I love you, too," I said.

Then Kat came to hug Kat again. They kissed. I felt Jess's warm, calm hand rest inside mine.

"How are you feeling?" she asked.

"Happy," I said. "And I always like a challenge."

"This will be easy," she said.

"It'll be fun no matter what," I said.

"Will you look at us, John?" Jess said and turned to me. The light of her smile radiated like the sun. "We're all grown up now."