Tragedy of Gold

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh? Have I missed some divine holiday?" he asked, turning to her wholly as she laughed at him with a joyous shake of her head.

"Nay beloved, you are present at the founding of one," she said, biting her lower lip with eager delight — she lit her orbit and took his hand in its radiant grasp, shooing the little starling away as she drew it towards her — but not towards her cheek or lips as was her custom. Nay, instead this time she laid it across her belly. Bart's eyes widened... and he felt a gentle, but impossible-to-miss sensation.

A kick.

"I'm pregnant, my love."

The joy that surged through Bart was narcotic in its intensity, and as his face split in a wide grin the birds around him burst into song, the air alive with the rejoicing of nature and man alike as he gathered her into his arms, sweeping her tiny frame from the ground and laughing as he spun and twirled with her through the singing air. Laughter, raucous, joyous laughter was all he could give. There were no words for his elation, no words for the happiness that flooded him.

Well, there were a few.

"Oh, I love you Cithara!"

Her joyous smile was all the response he needed.

~ ~ ~

At that same moment, deep in the cold-locked heart of the Sidhewood, the Tomb of the First Paladin sat as it had always, silent and stoic. A vigil of grief everlasting. The snows had never stopped falling, and never really seemed to pile up. An eternal winter of regret.

And yet...

In that frosty wasteland, just ahead of the entrance to the tomb. The snow lessened. The warm wind of spring wound through the stones and bare trees.

In that snow, against all odds — a single green shoot had grown, forcing its way through ice and frost to spread simple, white petals up to the wan sunlight that crept down.

Against all odds, life had come again.

THE END.