Tragic Milestones in Life Revised

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Carl's eyes caught Rachel's anxious stare.

"Smoking again?"

She rolled her eyes. "Yes," she said with a shrug of regret.

"Viceroys, still?"

"Please."

Carl caught the tray bearing cigarette girl's eye and she sashayed over. He asked for a pack of Viceroys, motioning for her to give them to Rachel. Eagerly, Rachel reached out for them. It didn't take but a moment, for her to tear open the flip top box and pull one from the pack.

"I don't carry a lighter, Rachel," Carl said as he watched her fiddle with the cigarette.

"I do," she said as she reached into her clutch purse and set it down, still open, on the table as she lit up. She closed her eyes as she inhaled deeply. She held her breath, enjoying the sensation of the smoke filling her lungs.

David's eyes sparkled. Grandpa Radisson saw a giant grin on David's face as he peered into his mom's purse. Grandpa's eyes sparkled and the same grin spread across his face at seeing David so excited. Father Radisson knew this was the moment, the right time, to fulfill his promise to David's mother. He would reveal and acquaint David with his true father!

"Look Grandpa! Mommy bought me a pistol! Hands up bad guy!"

"No! David No! Don't point ...

+++++

Life is Marked in Milestones

Three Rings — Three Lives — Up In Smoke

+++++

"Morning, Doctor. I'm here to interview David."

"What happened to the other detective?"

"Shifted to new cases. I'm doing the six-month follow-up on the kid—David, right?"

"Wish to hell his fucking father did a follow-up! Hasn't been here to see David since the accident. Dropped off some clothes and a book about horses for the kid—never showed up again. Damn hard on a boy killing his grandpa and his mother within seconds of each other. Damn strange that must have been."

"Don't think you got the whole story, Doc."

Dr. Jeremiah was caught off guard. He turned to face the detective saying "How's that?"

"That guy, Johnathon, the one who brought the boy. He isn't his real father. Just married to David's mother."

"No? If that isn't right, was the guy he shot, his grandfather, then, or not? I've had the kid here for six months and I just now find this out? What the fuck, detective!"

"Sorry, Doc. Don't know what to tell you. Turns out the kid shot his real father and then his mother. That nutcase father was also the kid's grandfather! Go figure. Screwed his own daughter! Still trying to determine if it was an accident, or not."

"That guy, Johnathon, told us the three of them were meeting at the restaurant. The woman, Rachel, was supposed to introduce the kid to his real father. Guess that pissed off the kid when he found out his grandfather was also his father; so he grabs the gun out of his mother's purse while she's puffing down a smoke and—shot both of them. At least that's what the prosecutor thinks happened, from the evidence anyway."

"No normal seven-year-old kills his folks on purpose, detective. I can tell you that."

"Always a first time, Doc. The case is still open. Witnesses say it was too dark and difficult to see exactly what happened.

"One said the boy had a big smile on his face when he pulled the trigger. Seems the boy fired the first round into his father's right eye. His face landed on a book on the table by a guy named Mallord; about some Milestone shit the report said.

"Then he turned and fired the second round into his mother. But another witness said, the mother grabbed at the gun, and it went off point blank—right into her heart.

"So, one could be murder and the other, maybe accidental. Need to question the boy and find out the truth."

"Hell. What a damn shame," Dr. Jeremiah sighed, as he sank into his chair.

"Like I said, I'm here for the six-month follow up. I need to talk to David, Doc."

Dr. Jeremiah looked the detective dead in the eye. Fixed his gaze on the detective's name tag and replied, "Good luck with that, Detective O'Malley. David has not spoken a single word in six months. Just sits staring at the horse book going page after page to the end; then starts over."

O'Malley listened as he pulled out a pack of Camels from his shirt pocket. He offered one to the doctor as he lit up.

"No thanks, I'm trying to quit again. Those damn things must be addictive. I quit, but just keep coming back for another one, time after time. One day somebody is going to find out cigarettes kill you; you know? Then what are we going to do?"

The detective blew three concentric rings out into the air. They floated over the doc's desk and slowly broke apart. O'Malley watched until they disappeared, thinking about the trio of broken lives, just like the smoke rings, he thought, before speaking again.

"Not right in the head, then?"

"Don't ever expect him to be, detective."

"Okay Doc. Then, guess I see you again in six months for another follow up. By the way Doc, is that for sure ... the thing about cigarettes, that maybe, they can kill you?"

+++++

Noir -- That uneasiness marking fatally flawed characters struggling to get better, yet succumb due to their fate or even undeserved injustices.

Hope this story successfully bears those characteristic trademarks of noir.

Please, help my writing improve by letting me know if I achieved that goal through your rating and commentary. dmallord