All Comments on 'Travails of the 6th Earl of Studley'

by A_Bierce

Sort by:
  • 20 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
LOL!

I guess there are now two British things I'll never understand, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie and this story.

Can't rate this story. Don't want score something which I have no idea if it is good or bad. :)

HighpikeHighpikeover 4 years ago
Great fun

Thank you.

SleeperyJimSleeperyJimover 4 years ago
Now that's funny!

I've been on many sets, and I promise this is exactly the type of shit that happens. You have to break the tedium somehow. And what better way than patriotism?

Well done, sir.

26thNC26thNCover 4 years ago
Not sure

Not sure what I read there , but wouldn't want to demean St George's Day , would I.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyover 4 years ago
Hey

That's in April!

johntcookseyjohntcookseyover 4 years ago
Very funny

A bit of comic relief. Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
At least

Is funny.

luedonluedonover 4 years ago
Three points of note

1. I really liked the story.

2. Re Anonymous comment LOL. Sorry, Anonymous. The Hitchhikers Guide movie was anything but British. It was nothing like Douglas Adams original radio play, the BBC TV comedy series or his books. They were masterpieces. The movie was an abominable mess and he fought its production until he died.

3. A_B, your use of The Queen's English is usually impeccable, but I don't think that 'fulsome' means what I think you think it means.

3a. But it didn't spoil the story.

Lue

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
why here?

Why post it in LW?

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
What was this,

A scene from "Downtown with Abby"?

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Um...

No clue. Not interesting enough to try to figure out.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Spiffing old chap

Spot on, jolly hockey sticks and all that.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
i hope Britease gets to read this

1) I bet he would enjoy it

2) I bet he could explain it to us duhmericans

3) I bet he'll realize that the "Very English" flash story genre has been sorely overlooked as of late, which I presume is why Mr. Bierce, offered this (hopefully) inspirational tribute as a siren call to the master of the genre.

I do miss you, Britease, But as for the talented Mr. Bierce? I fear that he just might have been probing a bit out of his depth on this one, I'm afraid. Let's show him how it should be done properly, shall we?

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Oh well - I guess

Clearly not meant for a American audience. I, for one, have no desire to look up ‘St George’s Day’ to gain context. Sort of an inside joke? If so, with the large readership on this site, it’s just not cricket old chap!

LordGeoffreyLordGeoffreyover 4 years ago
Great writing for one of the undead

Wikipedia documents your travel to Chihuahua, Mexico, to gain first-hand experience of the Mexican Revolution. Your vampire transformation was revealed in From Dusk Till Dawn 3. Welcome back.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Another English **** **

Oh dear - here we go, a writer who, one would assume could do a little basic research, talking about St George's Day (The Patron Saint of England) and talking about the Union Jack which, incidentally, should be called the Union Flag. This is the flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, not ruddy England!! I realise its always been hard for the English to gain an identity, unlike the Scots, Welsh or Irish, but this is pathetic in 2019.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
British humour?

As an Englishman I can tell you that we don't even celebrate St George's Day, even though he is the patron saint of England.

Only the Irish celebrate their patron saints day and I think that's mainly down to the USA embracing it the way they have.

etchiboyetchiboyover 4 years ago
Gwen is probably Irish and assumed you Brits celebrated St. George’s Day.

Or just used it as an “excuse” to fuck with the producers.

Nice twist. Didn’t see it coming.

4-stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
?

not willing to spend two hours. doooonot get the ref. LOVE slap hapy papy #9

WolfOfTheWorldWolfOfTheWorld12 months ago

I have no idea what St. George's Day is, or what cool your tits means.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous