Trials of a Planeswalker Ch. 02: Fall

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A few minutes later, they were gathered outside, Henry tired and grumbling. Shyara was circling high above them, floating lazily on air currents. The captain of the guard was approaching them, his face lit by the torch he carried. He was a grizzled, graying veteran with enough scars to show his experience.

"Are you leaving us already Sergeant?" The captain asked.

"I have urgent business in Thraben. We have new hope for finding Avacyn!" Varia said happily.

"That is glorious news! I will provide you with the fastest and strongest horses we have. They will carry you to Thraben before nightfall!" The captain said, his face brightening.

"We only need the one. Our mount is flying above us." Blayne said, pointing upward.

"Have hope captain, if I have anything to say about it, I will bring Avacyn back to Innistrad!" Varia said, clapping him on the shoulder.

"Those words bring more hope to my old heart than anything I have heard in months." The captain said, grasping her hand, "Let me get you your supplies and your horse!"

By the time Henry was on his horse and they were on Shyara, the entire village was wrapped around them, cheering and whooping. They had all heard, or been told, what Varia had said: that she was going to try and bring Avacyn back. They followed them out of the gates, wishing them safety and wellness the entire time. Henry snapped the reigns on his large stallion and it tore away, carrying him down the road. Shyara beat her wings powerfully and her huge paws shook the ground as she ran. She took off and arced into the sky, her powerful body easily carrying them upward.

'Its good to be traveling again master.' Shyara said as they flew. The sun was glimmering on the horizon, golden and just barely rising. The fields of Lambholt and the dark woods of Uvenwalt were before them. Blayne wasn't exactly sad about leaving it behind.

"Just like our travels on Azeroth, yah?" Blayne called, looking down beneath them. Henry was riding well, his horse galloping along at full speed.

"I've never seen Innistrad like this! Its amazing!" Varia laughed, looking all around them.

"So Shyara, how do you feel about flying all day?" Blayne asked.

'I will happily, master!' Shyara said and she gave a deafening roar. It echoed off across the land and a huge flock of ravens rose up from the woods.

*******

Thraben came into sight as the sun was going down. They only stopped once that day, for a half an hour to have lunch and let the horse get some water. Varia had told them that the horses of Gavony could ride two or three days straight before succumbing to exhaustion, but Henry didn't want to overwork the beast. He had been riding full bore all day and the horse seemed to revel in it.

Thraben was a gorgeous city, built atop a tall cliff overlooking a huge body of water. All around it, fields were planted rich with grain and vegetables. It was clearly the human stronghold on Innistrad.

"Right there, on the peak of the hill, is the Church of Avacyn. In its courtyard is the Helvault, perched right on the edge of the cliff, it is the prison of all the demons on Innistrad. Before she disappeared, Avacyn and her angels imprisoned all the demons of this world within it. She brought us peace and security, she did what all thought impossible." Varia said to him as she pointed at the grand cathedral on the far side of the city, "And its that protection in which our faith was born. But Avacyn hasn't been seen in a long while and her power is waning on Innistrad. Humans are in danger, we have to find where she has gone!"

"Is it possible that...?" Blayne started and Varia immediately cut him off.

"No! She was an immortal angel with power beyond that of anything we have ever seen. None on Innistrad beyond he who made her could've done anything to harm her." Varia said, absolutely denying the thought that Avacyn might be dead.

"So what're we gonna tell them?" Blayne asked her.

"About what?" Varia said.

"Where have you been for the past year? You were a soldier, you had a commander and all that, right? What are you gonna say about your absence?" Blayne said, looking back at her.

"People go missing on Innistrad all the time. Let's say I went off on a campaign against the darkness of this world searching for Avacyn." Varia shrugged.

"Innistrad certainly wants to see Avacyn return." Blayne said as they neared Thraben's outer wall.

"She is the hope and light of all the humans on Innistrad. She is the one who guarded us against all when darkness seemed ready to consume the entire world." Varia told him, "Put us down. Even without her light on Innistrad, Thraben still has protectors. We can't try and fly in without being shot down."

Blayne nodded and they descended, landing outside the main gate with a ground-shuddering impact. Behind them, Henry road up the street on his horse.

"The gates are already closed, the sun is almost down! I'm sorry, but you'll have to remain outside." The guard called to them.

"I am a Sergeant with the Avacyn Valiants! I demand entry!" Varia called.

"With the Valiants? Not a single one of you has been heard from since the slaughter almost a year ago. If you really are a faithful of Avacyn, show me your blessing!" The guard said, looking down from the wall.

Varia pulled up her sleeve and ran her hand up her arm, making the symbol of Avacyn shine forth again. The guard squinted and then nodded. He waved a hand and the gate started to open. As they stepped towards it, five soldiers marched out and formed a line in front of them. What caught Blayne's attention was the man in front. Immediately he could sense something about this man: he was not just a soldier or a commander, but something far more. He wore shining silver armor beneath a heavy black leather cloak. His wrists bore shining silver armor etched with the symbol of Avacyn. His hair was stark white except for a thick stripe above his left eye. He had a well-groomed mustache and goatee, black with a few white hairs.

"Sir Odric!" Varia exclaimed in surprise.

"Stand still. It has been long since one of the Avacyn Valiants has been heard from, you will understand my skeptisism. What is your name?" The sharp man said, staring at Varia.

"I am Varia and I swear by Avacyn that I am a Valiant." Varia said, a bright fire burning in her eyes.

"If what you say is true, then fight for Thraben and her people! In the name of Avacyn, defend these walls!" Odric yelled, pushing past them and unsheathing his sword.

The blade shone with a near blinding light as it was unsheathed. The entire hilt was crafted in the shape of Avacyn and he held the blade high, a shining symbol for the soldiers of Thraben to rally behind.

They all looked down the hill and saw what he was talking about. Racing up through the fields towards them was a horde of terrifying monsters.

"Raise the alarm. Undead assault! Seal the city!" Odric called to the wall above him. The bells started to ring and the gate slammed shut behind them.

"Hey, why are they locking us out with them?" Henry asked, pointing at the approaching undead swarm.

"Better hope you can fight." Odric said, holding his sword with both hands. The four soldiers with him raised their swords and shields, ready for battle.

"Alright, I'll show you how to fight." Henry said, raising his hands. Shining golden weapons appeared in his hands, a large tower shield and a long sword. He hefted the weightless weaponry and stood level with Odric.

"Sir Odric, it will be an honor to fight by your side!" Varia said, unsheathing her Azerothian saber.

"Undead, what's the worry?" Blayne asked, "Just blow them up or something."

"I don't know how you intend to fight, but as far as I'm concerned, we can't put the walls of Thraben at risk. No explosions." Odric said sharply, "Can the beast fight?"

'I can and will fight.' Shyara said in annoyance.

"Good, stand your ground and defend this city!" Odric commanded.

The undead were almost upon them. Rotting wolves, shambling human forms and horrifying stitched scab creatures all rushed towards them. They hand no order or rank, just a large, ravenous horde. Odric met the first one head on, skillfully shoving his glimmering sword through its head. The blessed blade easily dispatched the creature and he tore it free. Much of the swarm rushed around the defenders and pressed up against the walls. Guards on the walls shot them with arrows and crushed them with rocks.

The defenders in front of the gate kept a wide swath cut from the creatures. Blayne kept to Odric's instructions and fought with a telekinetic fist. He punched them when they were feet away and they were thrown head-over-heels into the horde.

Varia swung her sword with all the talent and fervor she could muster, felling a horror with each slash. Shyara was near them, crushing the undead easily under her huge paws. Henry fought more viciously than any of them, bashing zombies aside with his glowing shield and hacking multiple enemies in half with each swing. He didn't fight with precision, but with strength and determination.

Even Odric's strength started to wane near the end of it. The bodies of the undead had piled around them and against the walls. Blood covered their boots and they slowly cut their way through the final stragglers. In all there had probably been near a hundred shambling corpses, the majority of them brought down by the defenders.

"Good! Good. Thraben will stand another day!" Odric said, wiping the sweat from his brow as he looked over the gory scene.

"You act as though this is a casual thing." Blayne said, his limbs burning from the fight as his adrenline wore out.

"Such a group of undead is a trifle. Likely your glowing mount there brought them from the forests and out of the darkness, following it here to Thraben. I don't blame you, undead are stupid, mindless creatures. If they hadn't attacked us, they would've wandered into some other travelers or another village." Odric said, slowly cleaning his sword. Its glow wasn't blinding anymore, but it still lit the ground around him.

"I remember times with the Valiants when the vampires would attack us. They would come searching for blood and often they would find it, but it would be their own blood that they would get." Varia sighed as she cleaned her own blade.

"I do believe you now. The way you fought, the aura around you in battle, I can tell you aren't lying. I am honestly shocked to see one of the Valiants survive. You were a legendary group, guarding against the worst Stensia had to offer. On the night Avacyn disappeared, we recieved word from an angel that your group was broken and fleeing. I was told there were few, if any, survivors of the attack. It was called the slaughter of the Valiants." Odric told her, "The vampires have never been known to attack in such numbers and we still don't know what caused it. To this day it haunts me to know that so many of our bravest and strongest could be overwhelmed so entirely."

Varia bit her lip and the hand holding her sword shuddered. Her shoulders slumped and she gave a sigh.

"Sir, I have to tell you the truth of that night. It's my fault. It's all my fault." Varia said, her heart clenching.

"What?" He said, looking up at her.

"I was the Sergeant leading the nightwatch. It was my duty and I failed. The vampires came and in my cowardice, I fled. The alarms were far to late in coming, many soldiers were slaughtered in their beds." Varia said, dropping her sword entirely.

"Is what you say true?" Odric asked, stepping towards her.

"It is. For a year now, I have been fleeing my shame. I have been trying desperately to stay away, but fate seems to have different plans. My only hope now is to throw myself on the mercy of Avacyn." Varia said, her face steeled from emotion.

"You know as well as I that Avacyn has not been heard or seen since the slaughter." Odric looked hard at Varia, then sighed "What happened that night was not your fault. The protection that the symbols of your faith should've offered you wouldn't have worked after the Archangel's disappearance. You have little to fear in repercussions. But If you truly wish to regain your honor, then you must fight for it."

"I plan to. I came here in the hopes of finding Avacyn." Varia said, looking up at the cathedral on the far side of the city.

"I just told you, she's disappeared." Odric sighed.

"No, I mean to search her out. To find where she has gone and bring her light back to Innistrad." Varia exclaimed, clenching her fists.

"That is quite a burden you are undertaking. Few know where to start in such a search and no clues are to be found." Odric said, "But remain faithful and you will succeed. Too few have tried and none truly faithful in Avacyn have sought her out. Thraben is my responsibility, it is mine to guard, but you have the faith and strength you need to do this."

"I'm not alone either. With Blayne, I have no doubt that we shall succeed." Varia said, slowly picking her sword back up.

"Varia..." Blayne mumbled, looking at her.

Shyara stepped over to them and ruffled her wings, intent on showing her support as well.

"Hey I'm still too you know." Henry said.

"Good, for you will need their help. Innistrad is a darker place these days and it's dangerous just to travel, let alone go on a quest. Come to my house and rest a night. On the light of day, you can head out again and begin your redemption." Odric said, clasping Varia's shoulder.

She nodded as Blayne took her hand. They followed the grizzled veteren through the gates of Thraben, heading up into it's cobblestone streets. The moonlight shone down on them, only a few days from being full. Things were certainly going to get interesting; Blayne could feel it.

*******

CHAPTER 9 - HUNT FOR THE ARCHANGEL

Odrics house had been comfortable. They had slept on the floor of his sitting room in front of the large fireplace. He didn't own a huge house, but it was big enough to show how the people honored his valor. They enjoyed a pleasant morning meal, cooked by his housemaid, a portly young woman by the name of Ginella. As he was bidding them farewell, he gave them a piece of advice.

"Visit the church. Go out to the courtyard and take a look at the Helvault. It was the last place on Innistrad that Avacyn was seen." He had told them as they headed out the door. They immediately took it and headed up to the church. It was a long walk, there were a lot of streets and a lot of buildings in Thraben. After the outer wall, there was the inner wall that led to the market district and then the great wall that protected the cathedral. The city was powerfully built and, with the cliff behind it, it wasn't an accident that it was the Hunan's greatest stronghold.

The cathedral was tall and beautiful. It was made of clean grey stone and the walls were filled with stained glass. At the front doors they were met by a priest dressed in flowing white robes.

"Greetings and welcome to the church of Avacyn." The man said, bowing his head to them.

"I am on a quest to bring back Avacyn, Odric has told me that the Helvault was the last place she was seen. May I be allowed entrance to the courtyard." Varia said, her hand resting on her sword hilt.

"Of course, this way." The priest said, waving towards a hall. He led them down it and outside. Fenced in a heavy, ornate fence, the courtyard of the Helvault was not easily entered. Even without Avacyn's presence, the courtyard was still blessed ground and protected from evil's entrance.

"Where is it?" Henry asked, looking around as they walked through the rich trees and thick gardens.

"Out there, on the edge of the cliff. I understand your quest, but I must tell you, the Helvault is very sacred. Touching it is blasphemous, so please keep a respectful distance. As to your mission, many believe that Avacyn's disappearance serves a divine purpose and she will not be found until she wishes to return. Your quest may prove futile." The priest told them as he directed them further out.

Standing under the glimmering morning sun, the Helvault shone like a gorgeous pillar of moonlight. Made of a single piece of unblemished silver, it stood more than twenty feet tall. The symbol of Avacyn was etched into the flagstones around it. Before it stood a proud looking woman, a tall blonde in strong silver chainmail. She carried a beautiful saber in her hand and the symbol of Avacyn was painted in red down her tunic.

"Greetings." The woman said, keeping a close eye on them.

"Wow, that is definitely something." Henry said as he walked up to the pillar. Varia stopped ten feet from it and looked up at its massive size.

"I remember standing in this courtyard years back, staring up at the sky. Avacyn was up there in the sky, in the light of the setting sun, with her other angels. I saw her glory, even from this far away, I knew it was her. There was nobody else it could've been. Even among other angels, she is something to behold." Varia said, staring up at the thin clouds passing overhead.

"Hey Henry, can you give us a minute?" Blayne asked him.

"Eh, sure. I'll be over here." Henry said, pointing over at the cliff. Blayne watched him walk over there and look over the side. When he was far enough, he turned to Varia.

"Varia, I want the truth. Completely. Just tell me." Blayne said under his breath.

"What? Blayne, I've told you the truth. All of it." Varia said, a look of confusion on her face.

"The night you came to my house, you had been stabbed, but you were wearing a dress. You mentioned one time that you were relaxing and having a drink when this happened. You told Odric you were on the night watch." Blayne said, crossing his arms, "What is the truth?"

"You... You remember that... do you?" Varia stammered.

"Yes, I do. What is it that is bothering you so much that you can't say?" Blayne said.

Varia looked down at the ground and she clenched her fists. Tears began to drip down her face and Blayne reached out to her. She pushed his hand away and turned from him.

"Varia..." Blayne said, putting a hand gently on her shoulder.

"I was to be married that night." Varia mumbled.

"What?!" Blayne exclaimed in shock.

Varia shuddered and wrapped her arms around herself, taking a step away from Blayne. For the first time in a while, he was completely lost for words. His head swam under the knowledge that she was going to get married before she Planeswalked. That meant that she had a lover before him, one that she never mentioned or even hinted at.

He just stood there, looking at her in worried confusion. She glanced back at him, her eyes red and tear-stained.

"Go ahead Blayne, just say it." Varia choked, looking back at the ground, "Tell me how horrible I am. How awful it is that I have spent all my time with you trying to run and forget about my past!"

"Varia, I would never. I'm just so confused by all this. I mean, is... is he still..." Blayne started and Varia shook her head.

"The vampires did attack us that night and I was supposed to be on night watch. I ditched my post because a priest had been passing through and he agreed to marry us. So we both got dressed in what we could and prepared a simple ceremony. That's when the vampires attacked and the guard failed." Varia said shakily. Blayne was aghast and completely lost, however a few things did make sense now. How and why Varia became so closed up.

"So that friend you mentioned that died..." Blayne said quietly.

"Yes, my fiance was slaughtered in front of me by a vampire. When I should've fought hardest, I acted like a coward and ran away. A true warrior, a real Valiant would've sworn revenge on the vampire and hunted him to the death... I ran. I ran fast from there. As I was running, I got stabbed by a vampire and that's the last thing I remember." Varia cried, turning suddenly to face him. There was anger and hate in her eyes, she was clearly still hurt over this.

1...56789...34