Try and Love Again

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I am," Kirk told him as he thought back on the last half year or so. Since his first weekend Patsy's had been packed every time he played. And playing still made him happy. But there was something in his life that made him even happier than playing and singing. It was actually someone, and that someone was a beautiful, younger woman he was so in love with it hurt.

"Then knock 'em dead!" the owner said, already counting the dollars he'd be raking in without having to pay the entertainer who was the source of most of that revenue. As always, Aimee was there working and listening, and as time permitted, stealing glances at the handsome, older man she loved. Between sets she tried to find a minute to spend with him even though though she'd moved in with him a month ago and now spent most of her time with him. The home was beautiful, but even more beautiful was the way Kirk made her feel. Only now could she understand what real love was as compared to the thrill seeking she once thought was love. Kirk was kind, gentle, caring, and an amazing lover. He was also generous to a fault, but Aimee insisted on spending only the money she made even though Kirk told her she could have anything she wanted.

"I already have everything I need," she reminded him before pulling him close and kissing him. Those thoughts and more ran through Kirk's mind as he performed the last set of the night. But as he got to the last two songs, his thoughts moved to something he'd managed to mostly block out in order to perform at his best for the very appreciative crowd.

"Ladies and gentlemen. We have two songs to go," Kirk said into the microphone. "And I'm dedicating them both to the woman I love."

Aimee was helping someone but stopped to look at Kirk as he searched for her in the audience. "I love you, too, honey!" she called out as she waved to him. "There she is! That's her," Kirk said as heads turned to look even though nearly everyone knew Aimee and that they were an item. He looked at the woman he loved then said, "Aimee? Honey? These are for you."

The mostly over-50 crowd began applauding when they heard the words of an Elvis Presley song most of them knew. "Wise men say, only fools rush in. But I can't help...falling in love with you." Kirk stepped down off the stage and made his way through the crowd until he was standing next to Aimee who's heart was pounding wildly. "Like a river flows, surely to the sea. Darling so it goes, some things are meant to be. Take my hand, take my whole life, too. For I can't help, falling in love...with...you." He sang the final words then kissed her as the room exploded in applause and cheers. As much as they loved the first song, the place went wild when Kirk began singing, "When a man loves a woman..."

"Can't keep his mind of nothin' else. He'll trade the world for the good thing he's found." No one took their eyes off of the smiling young woman who managed the place and who hadn't stopped smiling since her boyfriend began singing to her. There was an unspoken tension building in the room, and it hit a fever pitch as Kirk closed out the loved song. "Yes when a man loves a woman, I know exactly how he feels 'cause baby, baby, baby, you're my world."

"Don't leave folks," Kirk quickly said before closing with the refrain. When he finished the final note, no one applauded as Kirk lifted the guitar strap over his head and handed it to someone to hold. When he got down on one knee in front of Aimee it was so quiet everyone there could hear him speak. "Aimee? I wasn't sure I'd ever love anyone again. But then I...I found you."

Aimee's hands were already up covering her mouth and trembling as tears began falling and as Kirk opened a small box which contained a huge diamond ring. "I've had so much fun singing and playing again, but even that would have felt empty had I not met you. Aimee? You are the reason I'm happy again. And nothing would make me happier than for you to spend the rest of your life with me." He removed the ring, and when he did, Aimee lowered her trembling left hand and as he asked her to marry him. With tears streaming down her face, Aimee nodded, unable to speak as Kirk told her how much he loved her and slid the ring on finger. He then stood up, kissed her, and stood next to her. The applause was thunderous as tipsy customers banged tables, whistled, and hollered congratulations to the newly-engaged couple. The two of them stood there for a good twenty minutes as people filed by to shake their hands and wish them well. It took another half hour for everyone to leave and another hour to close the place.

But once they were all alone on the little sofa in her office, Kirk looked at his new fiancé and said, "You really are my world, honey."

Still emotional, Aimee put her arms around the man she loved and said, "And you, Kirk Nelson are mine." Kirk held her back then kissed her and told her how happy she made him and how thankful he was that he'd made the decision to try and love again.

"Me, too, honey," she told him before locking the door and giving him the look.

"Here? In your office?" he asked even though he was more than ready.

"Yes. Right here," she said as she began unbuttoning her blouse. "After all, I hear that when a man loves a woman, he can't keep his mind on nothin' else."

Kirk laughed then began unbuttoning his shirt and said, "You heard right."

*****

Six years later

When Mr. and Mrs. Kirk Nelson took their daughter, Olivia Anne, to school for the open house before her first day of Kindergarten, Kirk looked around then whispered to his beautiful, younger wife, "I do believe I'm the oldest parent here." Aimee squeezed his hand and whispered back, "You're also the most handsome." He gave her a look that made her laugh, and that caused their daughter to ask what was so funny. "Nothing, sweetie. Mommy just made me feel really good. Again."

"Oh," the little girl said as her mom laughed, squeezed her husband's hand again and asked their daughter if she was ready to meet her new teacher. Kirk stood there in awe as he listened to his beautiful wife talk to their daughter's first teacher and thought back on the Cheryl Crow song that changed his life. It had been time to try and love again, and somehow he'd gotten luckier than he ever could have imagined.