All Comments on 'Uncertain Justice'

by Longhorn__07

Sort by:
  • 369 Comments (Page 3)
AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
@sbrooks - a recent news story

(CNN) - Lamar Johnson will soon enter his 25th year behind bars.

The St. Louis man has spent more than half his life in prison for a murder the city's chief prosecutor says he did not commit.

Johnson, 45, is serving a sentence of life without the possibility of parole in Missouri. But a report from St. Louis Circuit Attorney Kimberly Gardner and the Conviction Integrity Unit outlined what her office called misconduct by police and prosecutors in the case, including perjury, false testimony and the payment of more than $4,000 to the sole eyewitness. The witness later recanted.

Dwight Warren, the assistant circuit attorney who prosecuted the case, vehemently denied the "outlandish" accusations laid out in the report, particularly the charge of paying a key witness. He also defended the detectives on the case.

"Anybody who knows me, knows that that is not my character," Warren, who was also a St. Louis police officer, told CNN. "I could probably have every judge in this circuit ... in my day testify to that. I think it's a one-sided hatchet job."

"The witness may have been compensated out of fear for his life and we may have relocated him, but this was 25 years ago and I cannot tell you with certainty," he added.

Gardner's office said it will appeal a state court judge's denial of a new trial.

Circuit Judge Elizabeth Hogan ruled last week that the court had no authority to grant a new trial because the motion was "filed approximately twenty-four years" after the mandated deadline of 15 days after the verdict.

"The evidence is overwhelming," Johnson's attorney, Lindsay Runnels, who -- along with the Midwest Innocence Project -- also plans to appeal the ruling, said via email. "The State agrees. In the interests of justice and fairness, that should be enough to overcome a missed deadline."

-------

This news story is more unbelievable than the novella you are whining about. 😉

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
good tale

this is one hell of a tale...well done

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Is it in book form yet?

It was long but I stayed up late for 2 nights reading it because like a good book I could not quit reading it. But at the end it did mention that Carl Brady was the late Carl Brady. Did he commit suicide? All of your descriptions of the area makes me think that you must have spent a lot of time in that area.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Great read

5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Not often

It's not often that I give a story a 5 star rating, but this is one of these rare occasions. Very well deserved, Very long, almost book sized, but I don't think it could have been shortened without ruining it. Very VERY well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Wow!!!

Gotta say Best story to date!! On this site thank you so much.

arrowglassarrowglassover 4 years ago
Second time I have read this!

What a story!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
1 star for abject stupidity

had to stop at page 7

Guy has proof he is innocent and a fucking fax machine and hours of alone time

Does he fax the stuff to his lawyer, news agencies, and everyone under the sun?

Does he take they physical file and drive to his lawyer or news agencies?

No, he plans to wipe away his finger prints and go to tell the cops who framed him to look for illegally with held proof at the DAs house that he has no official knowledge of

Does he knock the guy out when he come into the office so he can make his escape?

NO he sits there and does nothing while the D burns away all his proof

I just cant, I cat read a story where the hero is a functional retard

WordcraftWordcraftover 4 years ago
GLARING HOLES IN THIS STORY

1)The pathologist that did the autopsy would certainly be subpoenaed by either the prosecution or the defense to testify at the trial to certify the autopsy report. The real autopsy report would have immediately been revealed. Coroners and/or the pathologist is always employed by the county and frequently testify at hearings. Trying to keep them from testifying would be very suspicious.

2) A pathologist would have to be living under a rock to ignore the news media reports that the victim they performed the autopsy on was raped and murdered. A botched abortion is not common, and would certainly be remembered and called into question. The pathologists competency and integrity would be questioned by the county and would warrant a medical review.

DanabooksDanabooksover 4 years ago
Second time read. Still great.

First, it's a story. Of course there are logical holes. Every story on the site has them! So what! Read Louis L'Amour or Edgar Rice Burroughs you will understand the this Hero archetype. I would say that Longhorn surpassed the modlel. Most heroes are one dimensional, do right and kiss the girl in the last chapter. Here, we have added the do right start, add the crooked DA forcing the choice to do right for himself, not just other .people. The classic hero progression. However, adding Jeb and The People gives historial depth to the act of deciding to survive at any cost. It's not a crime procedural story after all. Extremely well done for any story! 10 stars!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
I'm sure it's a great story, but...

... You lost me when he killed the dog who was just playing. No judgement, I just couldn't read past that.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
I enjoyed it,...

...however, I made a list of misspellings, malapropisms, typos, and "don't know what I'm talking about sections" - too long to list here. Looks to me that the author compiled his knowledge of helicopters, and helicopter flying from quick web searches. Too many wrongs to list. Also, as a pilot, I hate the term "chopper". It refers to a stupidly modified motorcycle popularized in the movie Easy Rider, and unfortunately adopted by american media.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
As The Late Donald Moffat Said

As Vice President Lyndon Johnson in the move "The Right Stuff" a story told "Texas Style". Yeah there were mistakes, plot holes if you will, a few typo's but still a great read. Even though this isn't a new story I'm glad the author has returned. I have saved this story and "Across That Line" to read last due to my time constraints and the length of the stories. As for Anon 1/13/20 instead of the term "chopper" perhaps you'd prefer another branch of the military's term "helo"? In case anyone believes things like this don't happen, they do here in Bexar County and Texas in general. All the way from a Constable extorting money for security of parties in County Parks, A Commissioner running for Mayor who's two police responses to calls regarding spousal abuse seem to have misteriously disappeared from the offical record (he lost by the way), to out of control school boards taken over by the state more than once, people convicted on trumped up; i.e. false charges, and the Attorney General under indictment on Federal charges. Don't even think about the politicians appointed to or running for higher office... Signed: BTW

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Loved it

Well written in my view, nice hero story in the end, glad for the conclusion it came to, though would be interested in how Brady died eventually.

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitabout 4 years ago

Outstanding! There were a few places where an editor would have removed some cut/paste artifacts, but they didn’t detract from the story. Excellent storyline,excellent storytelling.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Great story

I just finished reading it for the 3rd time. Only thing i found wrong, and realyy wrong is not right. Regretful is better. I wish he had not killed the dog. The dog thought he was doing what they wanted him to do. Needed for the story? I don't pretend to know. I am not a writer. Regretful? Yes. But still a 5.

Kitist02Kitist02about 4 years ago
You did it again!

I thought I had read this but the last half was new territory for me. I suppose I just didn't have time to read it all before. This time I persevered and am very glad I did.

(What the hell is "giallo" as listed in the tags for this story?)

This one grabbed me by the throat and held me transfixed for more hours than I care to think about. The primary characters were vividly constructed and of three dimensions. The few baddies were portrayed solidly and totally true to my experiences with "The Law".

The would be tryst between the trooper and the deputy, while not essential to the plot, provided us with a view of how Miles thought and acted when surprising things happened around him. The throw away scene about the deputy and the bank clerk's marriage/divorce was priceless. I am intrigued by the way you handled it, with only a few well structured sentences, and oddly enough is one of the more vivid images I came away with. I can only wish to be able to write so clearly and succinctly.

Obviously now I have to go back and re-read your other stories to see if I quit them in the middle as well. I almost hope I did so I can have the fun of discovery all over again.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
2nd Read.....Great Story

Extremely well done. A long read, but worth every second.

Great work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Easily..

the best story on this site. I grew up on Louis La’mour, Zane Gray, and Jack London...and on more than one instance I felt I had slipped back in to a LL novel.

Thanks for the effort here.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Bravo

You write like the bard's of the old west. Bravo.

ColinthedogColinthedogabout 4 years ago

Mesmerising,

Couldn't stop reading it.

MaresEatOatsMaresEatOatsalmost 4 years ago
I read this some time ago..

...and gave it four stars. I don’t know what I was thinking. I’d give it more than five if I could. Easily the best of your work, and among the very best in this site. It’s a pleasure to read your stuff.

Sam37Sam37almost 4 years ago
Brilliant

I’d love to see this story made into a movie.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
WOW!! I COULD NOT PUT THIS DOWN.....

What a well crafted work this is. Thank you for an enjoyable read.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Top of the Heap

Easily the best story I’ve read on this site.

drif10drif10almost 4 years ago
This should have been five

My apologies, I should have scored this a five, and I can't change it.

Originally read this on the android app, which cut the story off half way. I thought it was just unfinished at the time. It wasn't until recently that I revisited this story via Chrome that I discovered the "missing" pages.

Great story, enjoyed it a lot. A couple of sub-plot lines (the old, young woman in the diner, for example) were left hanging, otherwise good. Looking forward to future works.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Wow

This story/novel ranks with the best novelists. It reminds me of the 30+ Tom Clancy novels in my bookcase.

I will check your Longhorn 07 from time to time.

Hope you continue and write one of these into a novel for publication.

RanDog025RanDog025over 3 years ago
BY FAR THE BEST STORY EVER ON THIS SITE. 10 STARS!

Even if allowing 10 stars as a score, I'd want to give more. It reminded me of reading a Louis L'Amour book. The depth of descriptions of surrounding and events were amazing! 55 pages and I was sad when it ended. BEST STORY EVER ON THIS SITE, THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN Longhorn_07

lukeshortlukeshortover 3 years ago
Wonderful Story

I started your story a few times, but was discouraged by the length. The story is more like a book and is unusual for Literotica. The beginning didn't really "grab me", but I decided to stay with it because of some of your other stories. I AM GLAD I DID. At some point it grabbed me and I couldn't stop until I finished. Great story. as one of the other commenters said, it might be the best I have read on this site. Thank you. 5*

BentNotBrokenBentNotBrokenover 3 years ago
Amazingly complex and entertaining

I must agree with RanDog025 that this story ranks up there with the immortal Louis L'Amour and kept me spellbound with every sentence. I am devastated that it came to an end. Was worth the hours of sleep I gave up because I couldn't stop reading! Bravo!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
very good

I like

5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Fantastic!

Well done👍

vladdimirvladdimirover 3 years ago

Wow, one of my favorites now.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

55 pages. 55. What I would have liked is another few pages to tell how Miles learned about the pardon. Tell me how he connected again with his love, how they decided to move onto the mountain. Things like that would be much more satisfying than the quater page hasty summation. After 55 pages a few more wouldn't hurt.

Even with those omissions it rated 5 stars.

lukeshortlukeshortover 3 years ago
ALMOST A NOVEL

Terrific story. When I started reading, I thought it was too long. When I finished, I was sorry to see it end. 5* isn't enough for this effort. Thank you!

ExinfExinfover 3 years ago

Bugger, that was brilliant , got nothing done unputadownable

MisterMordinMisterMordinover 3 years ago
Pretty damn good.

I particularly liked the way actions, intentional or not, led to inevitable consequences and the way we knew what Miles' reactions would have to be . Well done!

Old_biker_dudeOld_biker_dudeover 3 years ago

At 1st I thought "why are you reading this story? Way too long" but then what the heck I am still on voluntary isolation so nothing better to do. Now I want more. Very good.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Publish this

Please publish this story, I will buy it.

Thank you,

RMc

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Stands the test of time!

I've read this story multiple times since you posted it. I've always enjoyed it. I see that folks continue to practically beg you to publish it. This tale DESERVES a place on the shelf right next to Louis L'Amour's Last of the Breed. If and when you decide to publish I hope ypu will place a notice in the story introduction.

Sincerely,

THE Infamous Anonymous

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
4 Stars

I do not compare this fine Story to Louis Lamour's .

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
An epic story!

Flat out amazing! I'm irritated and disappointed by some of your detractors' inane and ignorant comments. I'm so glad I stumbled onto your writings. Please comtinue what you're doing. I look forward to it. Thank you from a grateful reader and new fan.

DrtywrdsmithDrtywrdsmithabout 3 years ago
Awesome!

What a thrill ride! Keep up the great work!

NitpicNitpicabout 3 years ago
Very

Very good story ,if on the long side.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Just woderful

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Overall a great story. One nit pick, those Helicopters do not use gasoline. What is really jarring is most everything else is well done.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Fantastic story. Great read and a compelling central character and thrilling plot. Hours of entertainment

zeuspmzeuspmalmost 3 years ago

read it in 3 days. one of the most captivating thrillers I've read.

zeuspmzeuspmalmost 3 years ago

by the way, how did brady die?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

The story was very good but the national guards never had CH-53 helicoprtd!

rdady1966rdady1966almost 3 years ago

Took a while to read but time well enjoyed. Great story

tkh3nkey2110tkh3nkey2110almost 3 years ago

Not what I read Literotica for, but I liked it even enjoyed it. Miles interaction with the old ones was a bit confusing in that it was difficult to tell his dream state from reality. Still an entertaining read.

Legio_Patria_NostraLegio_Patria_Nostraalmost 3 years ago

One of the best books I've read in a while. Indeed, who does guard the guardians? It is no longer the Fourth Estate!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Awesome! This should be a movie or series!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Delete half of this and it's still full of fluff that should have been edited out.

docrxdocrxalmost 3 years ago

Absolutely great!!

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefalmost 3 years ago

Thoroughly enjoyed this story. One thing that bothered me (sorry if I didn't go back and re-read this part) was how the 50 cal. Barrett was not discovered and removed by the authorities after they entered stone house? Maybe I just missed reading something critical, but you have to understand it was several hours after my normal bed time when I got to that part of the story. Other than that, well done.

wish_thinkerwish_thinkeralmost 3 years ago

Why are you not selling books, stories etc you are very talented. If the big boys do not want to help then self publish!!!!

Great story, as your others are also. KEEP WRITING

arrowglassarrowglassalmost 3 years ago
Just finished another read of one of my favorite stories!

Such a fascinating...compelling...edge of your seat page turner!!! So well done!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

This the best story from Longhorn_07. Worth the long read. Could only give it 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

MaresEatOatsMaresEatOatsalmost 3 years ago

I've now read this several times. I wonder if I ever commented on it before, lol. This was such an enjoyable read, and one of the best stories of all that I have read on this site.

anon49anon49almost 3 years ago

5 stars are not enough...second time I read it and it is an Epic story...Thank You...

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Loved it! There are several avenues that could have been expanded and made the story longer and I wouldn’t have minded. I thought the ending was a little abrupt. Still loved it! I would pay for books like this. It would make a great movie but it would have to be 5 hours long and I’d go see it. I loved the book Jaws, but the movie was a let down because of what they had to cut out to make it to normal movie length.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Great Story

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Excellent! Very descriptive. Well written and moved along well no boring sections.

1Merlin1Merlinover 2 years ago

Excellent in all regards.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Very good work! But there is a big mistake about "Quis custodiet ipsos qustodes" in the end. The author is NOT unknown. He is the poet Juvenal (Satire 6, 346–348): "... audio quid ueteres olim moneatis amici, pone seram, cohibe. sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? cauta est et ab illis incipit uxor"... It refers to the impossibility of enforcing moral behaviour on women when the enforcers (custodes) are corruptible...

froggytreefroggytreeover 2 years ago

Holy shit, I finished it. Now for bed.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

One of the best stories on here,thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Thanks for sharing...

Brilliant!, This is my third time around reading this epic story, bravo.

It just feels so inadequate in voting 5*.

Thanks again for a very entertaining read Mr Longhorn.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Make a dam good tv series

Ravey19Ravey19over 2 years ago

Great story, well told and generally believable. Some questions but these are minor and some loose ends that might have been tidied u p a little.

5⛤

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Way to long.

hectarehectareover 2 years ago

I see very positive comments but I had to stop reading when Miles tossed the folder with all the exculpatory evidence onto Brady's lap. That dog don't hunt.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Magnificent. People who call it too long are obviously part of the click generation where all info must be dispensed in no more than 30 words so they can quickly click again . People like Miles will be the saviour of the USA as it moves to becoming the lapdog of the world. TC Ireland.

Talmadge69Talmadge69over 2 years ago

Totally enjoyed for the third time.

ZoomdoggieZoomdoggieover 2 years ago

Damn. You really covered some ground with this one, didn’t you? I almost didn’t want to start a 56 page monster, but it just flowed. Reminded me of Louis L’Amour, blending history and present day. And no sex. Damn.

TREK1TREK1over 2 years ago

BRILLIANT, get a movie deal for this PLEASE

TK

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

What a great story,thoroughly enjoyable . Couple of old sayings were pretty evident. I'd really like to read anymore stories like this in future.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Twenty-two years in the Army and he refers to the M4's and Barrett's mags as clips! Exactly what army did he serve in? Certainly not the U.S. Army!

TonyspencerTonyspencerover 2 years ago

Unputdownable! Reading again several years later and is still as awesome.

lukeshortlukeshortover 2 years ago

While reading some other stories, I realized that I was comparing them to this story. Some made the "almost as good" rating. There are probably several events in the story that were not possible. The story is so powerful that I didn't question the possibly until later. To me, that is the sign of a very good writer. THANK YOU

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

The best story i read on this site by far.

Finished it for the 6th time and enjoyed it yet again.

Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Best read in a long long time. great story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

10 stars wouldn't be enough. I had other things I needed to do but couldn't put it down. Tomorrow. Yes, it's improbable, but so, sometimes, is life. To dream.

OhiobenzOhiobenzabout 2 years ago

A great storyline. Couldn't put it down till I finished it.

This should be published!!!

RalphTheRedNinjaRalphTheRedNinjaabout 2 years ago

I agree that the ending could have been a little more fleshed out.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Thee author definitely believes in the concept of “deus ex machina”. Long story but worth the 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Excellent read.

I'm still about that poor dog, though.

SleeperyJimSleeperyJimabout 2 years ago

@ Angstignored. "47 pages too long."

This is a novel. How long is a novel? It's as long as the author makes it. You had to know at the bottom of the first page that it was 55 pages long. And you ploughed your way through just to complain that it wasn't a precis, a summary or a back cover blurb? How masochistic are you?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

My god, this was one of the best stories I have ever read. Fantastic. Wow.

UncertainTUncertainTabout 2 years ago

I would turn this up to 11* if I could. Bravo!

An absolutely unexpected pleasure and a total joy to read, thank you so much.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

I come back and reread this story once a year at least. Fantastic🙏

Rage632Rage632about 2 years ago
Absolutely amazing

The best story by far.

fredbrownfredbrownabout 2 years ago

5 just ain't enough! I'm awed, whelmed, impressed and in love - with this tale. Longhorn put a lot of time and effort in this and I appreciate every bit of it. Thanks for writing it, I sure loved reading it ......

teedeedubteedeedubabout 2 years ago

My same comment applies from 5 years ago. Extraordinary. I don't normally re-read anything but this was fun. I needed it. Thank you.

deepred53deepred53almost 2 years ago

What a fantastic story. I agree with many others here; 5 stars is not enough. Thank you for sharing this tremendous work!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

By far the longest story I've read on this platform and one of the best. Loved it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

One of my favorites on the site. Love all your work.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous