Unexpected Gifts

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Mr. Miller, if you'd please step back out into the waiting room. I'll need to speak with Ms. Williams alone. I'll let you know when I'm done," the officer instructed, leaving no room for argument.

"Yes, sir," I answered as I stood. I glanced at Ava and gave her a slight smile in hopes of comforting her. Instead, she stared back at me with sharp eyes, appraising the situation but gave no signal she accepted my comfort.

An hour later, a nurse wheeled Ava out in a wheelchair to tell me she was being discharged.

"Is someone coming to pick you up?" I asked, and Ava shook her head.

"My family lives halfway across the country. In a strike of luck only I could have, all my contacts are out of town this weekend," she told me sarcastically.

"That's fine. I can take you home," I told Ava, and she stiffened. "Or I can call you an Uber or something," I backtracked, realizing she might not be comfortable with me.

"No. No, thank you. I'd appreciate the ride," Ava admitted. I helped her out of the wheelchair before guiding her out the door to my truck.

Pulling out of the parking lot, I drove to the main street. "Where do you live?" I asked.

"Head to the left," she explained as she leaned forward and started typing an address on the nav screen. A voice came over the speaker telling me the head left, then turn right in two miles.

Pulling onto the main road, I drove us silently through the bare streets. At this point, it was four in the morning. Even the local partiers were mostly tucked away for the night.

"Thank you, by the way," Ava said, breaking the silence while she stared out the window.

"You're welcome," I told her simply, a bit uncomfortable with the attention.

"Not everyone would have gotten involved," she said quietly.

I glanced at her from the corner of my eyes, thinking how shitty that was but also likely.

"Yeah, well, I'm not who you think I am," I told her as I returned my eyes to the road.

My stomach clenched when she flinched out of the corner of my eye. I didn't intend it as a backhanded comment. It was just a simple statement in my mind.

"I'm sorry I judged you before. That wasn't fair of me," Ava admitted as she watched the buildings pass.

"It's no bother. It didn't really matter. I'm used to people making assumptions about me. It comes with the territory," I told her, hoping she didn't blame herself too much.

She let out a long sigh. "This isn't my first problem with a footballer, you know," she approached, giving me a rare glimpse of her vulnerability. "I'd had problems before, none this bad, but still. There's a reason I don't like jocks," she admitted as she turned to watch for my reaction.

Nodding, I admitted I figured as much. "I guessed you'd had some issues since you made it clear your office had cameras."

"I know I shouldn't judge all footballers. I know I shouldn't, but sometimes I just can't help it. I meet a new guy on the team, and my walls just shoot up," she admitted, her tone betraying her frustration with herself.

"Hey, hey, it's ok. Really, I get it. You're just feeling a lot of emotions right now. If an asshole like Jenkins had done that to me, I'd be weary too," I turned to face her for a moment, letting her know I was serious. She scoffed at my comment.

"Ava, you and I aren't so different, you know. No need to beat yourself up over it," I told her.

"How are we alike?" she asked. I couldn't see her face, but I could hear her rolling her eyes in her tone.

"I'm sure you know my reputation with women," I told her, unsure why I was telling her this. I never talked about this stuff. I just wanted her to stop blaming herself.

"Yeah, fuck them and leave them," she snickered.

"Not them. Ball bunnies. Tell me a single girl I've fucked and walked that wasn't a ball bunny," I pointed out.

Ava studied me in silence as the passing streetlight illuminated our faces just to fall back into darkness.

"I have my own bad history. I know I shouldn't treat every ball chaser like they're her, but I can't help it. I do it anyway. We're all products of our past. It has made me the monster I am, and I own that. I have boundaries to keep those who don't deserve it safe from me. I don't date, and I don't make promises. I don't screw with women who can't handle it, but everyone else, fuck them," I shrugged, showing my opinion on ball bunnies.

"So, Ava, it's ok if you hate jocks. I don't hold it against you one bit. I get it," I told her as my hand gripped the top of the steering wheel tighter.

Ava stared at me for a moment before nodding to accept my explanation. Then, suddenly, she started rubbing her hands up and down her arms. I was unsure if it was nerves or the fall air, but I turned the heat up for her anyway.

"The seat warmer is here," I showed her a little button on her side of the console.

"Thanks," she replied as she flipped the button to the max.

We drove the rest of the way in silence, save for the nav voice directing me to her residence.

CHAPTER 7

When the nav told me we were at our destination, I pulled onto the curb of a small but well-kept old Victorian home.

"This you?" I asked.

"Yeah," she sighed as she unbuckled her seat belt. Then, she groaned. "Damn it!" she exclaimed.

"What?" I asked.

"I left my coat with my clutch in it back at the party," she groaned as her head rested against the back of the seat.

"No worries, I'll swing by and grab it. What does it look like?" I told her.

Bright eyes assessed me for a moment but didn't say anything.

"It's no big deal," I shrugged, dismissing whatever thought she had in her head. "Do you have a car that needs to get picked up too?"

She shook her head. "No, I took an Uber. There's nothing else."

Looking out the window towards her house, she surprised me when she didn't get out. I let a few moments pass, allowing her to finish whatever thought she was trapped in.

"Actually, could I ask a really odd favor?" Ava cringed at whatever she thought to ask.

"Shoot," I told her, letting her know to ask her question.

"Do you think... would you mind if you came in and stayed with me tonight? My flatmate is out of town, and I'm not feeling very safe being alone right now," she explained in a nervous rush.

My eyebrows rose to what I'm sure was a comical height. "Uh, I guess so. You sure that's what you really want?" I probed.

Ava nodded. "Look, I'm pretty sure if there's one guy I can be sure isn't going to try anything on me in the middle of the night right now, it's probably you."

I gave her a cheeky smile. "You're not really my type, after all," I said, hoping she took it for the joke it was.

A laugh escaped her, loud and sharp as it rang through the cab of my truck. "Good to know," she chuckled.

"Do you want me to swing by and get your stuff first?" I asked, but she shook her head.

"No, I'm not ready to go back there, and I don't want to be alone while you go either," she said in a shy tone contrary to the Ava I'd met before Jenkins. My stomach turned sour at the thought.

"Do you have a friend who might still be at the party that can grab it?" I questioned, and she shook her head.

"Would you believe it if I told you I went tonight alone trying to get over my odd hang-ups around footballers?" she sighed. "Lot of good that did," she whispered under her breath.

"Damn, what a way for a plan to go to hell," I told her soberly.

"Right?" she chuckled darkly.

"I'll ask QB to keep an eye on it. I'm sure he's still up," I told her as I fished out my phone and typed out a message to him.

"Thanks," she said simply.

I tucked my phone away and then put my truck in reverse, pulling it out of the street and into the driveway since I was staying.

When the ignition turned off, I opened my door and met Ava on her side to help her out.

"I can walk now. I'm good," Ava told me, ever the independent woman.

"It'll make me feel better," I told her honestly. She paused to study my face, clearly not expecting me to care.

"You're a bit of a surprise, Jake Miller. You're all womanizing, cocky-ass by day, but you're actually caring when no one is looking," she concluded simply.

I rolled my eyes before snickering. "Yeah, well, don't tell anyone. You'll ruin my reputation."

It was pitch black out, with no moon to light our way, and I stumbled ungracefully up her front steps in the darkness. Then, chuckling at me, she pressed a series of numbers on the door pad before walking in and leaving the door open for me to follow.

Ava clacked her way over to the light switch and flipped it on, making my eyes hurt in the sudden change.

"Follow me. I'm going to head to the kitchen for some water," Ava announced as she walked down the hall before me, leaving me to shut the door.

Something out of place caught my attention. My eyes trailed down to Ava's legs. Leaving her tights off after she dressed at the hospital, her dark ebony legs peaked out from under her short dress.

That's not what caught my attention, though. Along Ava's legs were these pinkish white patterns along her skin, making her two-toned. She'd probably slit my throat if she knew my analogy, but the pattern reminded me of cow skin.

Ava turned to see me staring. Instantly, she knew what held my attention.

"It's vitiligo. It's an autoimmune condition that causes me to lose pigment," Ava explained as she turned to pull part of her dress off her shoulder. She had more places across her shoulder.

A realization dawned on me. "Is that why you're always so covered up?"

She nodded. "Yeah, makes the summer a pain in the ass."

I studied her skin a little more. "Does it bother you that much that you'd wear long sleeves in the summer? I must admit, it's actually kind of cool looking. Unique," I added.

"No, I'm not self-conscious about it. It is just part of who I am. I get tired of being the center of attention, though, so I usually cover it up," Ava explained. "Come on, I'm thirsty as hell. Whatever meds they gave me has caused a bad case of cotton mouth."

I followed her into the kitchen and leaned against the wall as she set down her bag of prescriptions the doctor gave and turned to get a glass of water.

Watching her in silence, Ava opened the med bag and started reading a bottle. Her eyes looked up at me, and she bit her lip.

"Jake, be honest with me. Can I trust you?" she asked suddenly, tone demanding my honesty.

"Depends on what you want to trust me with," I told her, unsure what she was asking.

"The doctor gave me this to help me sleep, but I don't feel comfortable taking it alone, and... well... I don't actually know the first thing about you," she explained.

I raised my hands in innocence. "Unconscious is not now, nor has it ever, been my type. I get plenty of play with the conscious ones. Besides, the police know I was with you tonight. They took labs and photos of you before. I'm not stupid enough to do something only to have provable rape evidence later." I told her honestly.

Ava relaxed. She realized even if she couldn't trust me, she could trust I wouldn't want to get involved with the police with undisputable evidence against me.

"Though, if you're interested when you're sober...." I gave her a dramatic wink, letting her know I was joking. She laughed and shook her head.

"Dream on, ball boy," she said as she popped the bottle top and slid out a pill before swallowing it with the whole glass of water.

"Thanks for staying tonight. I know this has to be a weird situation for you, and you've already done plenty," Ava thanked.

I shrugged. "Surprisingly enough, this is one of the lesser awkward situations I've been in."

"Rescue damsels often, do you?" she asked with humor.

I snickered darkly. "No. I'm not exactly the hero type. I'm more likely to get you into trouble than out of it."

"Well, thanks for breaking character in my case then," she yawned. "I need a shower. I need to wash... I need to wash it all off," she said, turning her eyes away from me in shame.

"Don't let that fucker win," I told her, my tone turning absolute. "I can't imagine what you're feeling, Ava. I'm not going to tell you I do. But don't let him win. None of this was your fault. I don't give a shit what stories you've got going on in your head," I demanded of her. My tone was sharp, not because I was angry, but because I needed her to listen to me.

"Ava, I don't care if your head is telling you 'I shouldn't have worn this dress; I shouldn't have flirted. Maybe if I'd been stern, or nicer, or quieter.' Whatever it is, it is bullshit. He did this, pure and simple. I don't care if you got naked and rubbed your cunt all over him. You still wouldn't have deserved this." I drove my point home.

I wasn't going to let this woman fall into that trap. I'm not going to claim to be some great woman sympathizer. Trust me, I wasn't. But I knew the shit that would go through my head after dad came after mom or me. I remembered all the bullshit my mom would tell herself, convinced it was all her fault. I wasn't a child anymore. I didn't have to let someone else wallow in self-blame they didn't deserve.

Tears flowed out of her eyes, and she sobbed, her frame shaking with the force of it. The emotions of the night finally overwhelmed her. I could have moved to hug her, but I didn't. She didn't need me to hug her. No, Ava needed to feel and embrace it so she could get past it.

I let her cry, giving her silent support from my place against the wall. Then, when the sobs softened, she nodded her head.

"You're right. No, you're right. I won't let him win," Ava promised, strong and defiant as she wiped her face. Like a storm, she looked up to stare into my eyes. Bold and unwavering, the Ava I knew was back.

"Ata girl," I told her in support. "Go shower. I'll wait here till you're done."

"Thank you..." she started, but I held up my hand.

"No, you've said thanks enough. I know what it is like to have things done to you against your will. So let's just say I'm here to resolve my own demons as much as yours and call us even," I told her, not wanting her to feel indebted to me.

I wasn't some hero, and she didn't need to see me as one. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. She paused, unsure what to do with that, before she nodded and left the room.

When Ava showered and dressed, she came back downstairs to retrieve me. Both of us exhausted from the night, we didn't say much as Ava led me to her roommate's room since the other woman was out of town.

It was a little awkward sleeping in some woman's bed without her knowing. At least it wasn't a couch. My tall frame and couches were not friends, so I'd take the blessing.

Expecting to toss and turn with turmoil, I was surprised the stress of the night conked me out as soon as I splayed across the mattress.

CHAPTER 8

Slowly, my consciousness roused as birds chirped loudly outside. Use to the roar of city streets, the nature sounds of suburbia told me I was not in my room.

I leaned up and rubbed my eyes in the dark room. Daylight was just beginning to break outside the window. I glanced at my watch and realized I'd only slept three pitiful hours. That was going to cost me later. Despite my fatigue, my brain was wired and alert. I wouldn't be going back to sleep.

I padded down the hall to where I'd seen a bathroom last night, needing to piss like a horse. I held my hands over my junk just in case Ava was up. Hiding my morning wood was a chore.

After I relieved myself, I shut the lid and prayed the toilet wasn't one of those dramatic, loud commodes. I didn't want to wake Ava if she was still asleep.

Creeping around the old flooring, I cracked open Ava's room to check in on her. The first dim rays of morning lit the room just enough for me to tell she was still out cold. I shut the door gently and snuck back into my guest room as quietly as possible on the old floorboards.

Grabbing my phone, I checked for messages but had none. I looked at the text I sent Braxton to watch out for Ava's coat, but the message only said delivered. He hadn't seen my text.

Feeling restless and uncomfortable in an unfamiliar house with no one to talk to, I headed out to the familiar territory of my truck.

Twenty minutes later, I pulled up outside the house where the party was last night. It was just shy of daylight now as I walked up the steps and attempted the door. As expected, it was unlocked.

I entered to see passed-out bodies splayed across various furniture and places along the floor. Then, tiptoeing through the maze of passed-out party goers, I made it over to the corner table that played the makeshift coat rack.

The pile was smaller than last night, given many people had left, but there were still enough coats I would have a hard time figuring out which was Ava's.

I was sorting through coats, moving the ones that were obviously male style, when I saw a bright, golden leopard print ladies jacket near the bottom. Surely it wasn't going to be that easy, would it?

Pulling the jacket out from the bottom, I searched the pocket to find a leopard print clutch. Inside, I found Ava's driver's license and a credit card. I chuckled quietly; this woman had a serious leopard fetish.

Shoving the clutch back into the jacket, I turned to see Braxton watching me from the stairs.

"Sup, QB," I greeted quietly, trying not to wake the sleeping hoard.

"Morning," he said hoarsely as he studied the coat in my hand, his eyebrow raising in question.

"A friend left her stuff. So I was just swinging by to pick it up," I reported.

Braxton snickered. "I didn't know you had female friends other than Celeste. You're usually gone before they can get their shirt back on," he said humorously, but there was an edge of challenge in it. But, of course, two alpha males vying for the same title will cause some tension.

"Like I said, a friend," I said simply, letting him know it wasn't someone I hooked up with. I didn't want him getting the idea I had some chick in my sights.

He shrugged non-committedly and finished coming down the stairs. "Want something to eat? I'm about to cook some bacon and eggs?" he asked as he walked towards the kitchen.

"Nah, man. Thanks. I have places to be," I told QB. He paused to study me. He was too sharp and nosey for my comfort, concluding I was scurrying back to a woman. Not wanting to give him more ammo, I waved my goodbye and dodged my way out the door.

I returned to Ava's and hung her coat on the entryway rack just in time to hear her bedroom door open. A few seconds later, loud floor creaks told me she was headed downstairs.

"Good morning," she sang when she saw me in the foyer before continuing down the stairs.

"Mornin," I greeted.

She stretched and walked toward me with a big yawn. When she opened her eyes, she paused.

"Oh," she gasped. "You grabbed my coat for me?"

I nodded. "Yeah. It looks like everything is still there," I told Ava as she walked over and fished out the clutch to check its contents.

"Yeah, everything is here," she said before turning to me. "Thanks, Jake."

I shrugged. "I was bored this morning. I needed the drive to clear my head," I dismissed.

She paused, biting her lip in thought. "You're not comfortable being thanked, are you?" she challenged.

I said nothing. I wasn't interested in getting into some psychoanalyzing conversation about why I was the way I was. It was me. Deal with it.

Taking the hint, she nodded towards the kitchen before walking down the hall, leaving me to follow.

"Want some breakfast?" she asked, but I shook my head, wanting to get out of here soon. I was eager to return to my room, my space. "You sure? I'm a great cook. I can make some awesome Fruit Loops, or if you want me to get fancy, I have some Lucky Charms," she smiled, disarming me.

1...345678