Valentine's Day Cupcakes

Story Info
A story of unrequited love.
772 words
4.48
6k
5
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is my entry for the 750 Word Project 2022. Constructive criticism is welcome.

_ _ _ _ _

I met Erin about ten years ago at work. She was a vivacious, red-haired beauty about ten years younger than me. We ate lunch together each day and got to know one another quite well. Lunch was my daily highlight as we did a lot of eye flirting, holding each other's gaze for extended periods of time.

Over the years, we shared our joys and sorrows, hopes and dreams. I remember her joy when she became pregnant. Two months later I was the first to figure out her sorrow meant that she had miscarried. When she gave birth to her son, Jacob, my wife and I threw a baby shower. We shared the joy of the christening.

We mourned together when first my wife ran off with a co-worker and then two years later when her husband left her for his secretary. All this time we became very close, but I was never able to move out of "the friend zone." I regularly professed my love and admiration, but I was never taken seriously. Two years ago I was invited to accompany her on her regular hikes. I immediately accepted, but found that much of our conversation was about her various dates. I felt like her girlfriend rather than a possible love interest.

This past winter we began snowshoeing together. We spoke of everything, but mostly about a guy she had met. How he was handsome and fun. How happy he made her. I tried very hard to be supportive, but her constant talk about this guy broke my heart. Why couldn't she see how much I loved her?

Valentine's Day was approaching and Erin was getting very excited. Her beau said he was going to take her out to one of the best restaurants in town the Saturday before the holiday. She bought a lovely, sexy dress specifically for him. She sent me stunning pictures of her wearing the dress, asking my opinion. Erin was beautiful and I told her so. She asked my opinion on how she should wear her hair. I got the feeling she was expecting something big and I was working against my own interests. My heart ached for her, but I knew it wasn't to be.

About 8:30 Saturday night, she called me.

"Shouldn't you be on your date?"

I could hear sobs through the phone, "He didn't show. I texted him and he said he forgot!"

"Horseshit, he forgot."

The sobbing increased, "What..." Sob. "Did..." Sob. "I do?" Sob.

"Erin, you didn't do a thing. This guy's a loser if he doesn't see how sweet and smart and funny you are. Did I mention how beautiful you are?"

The other end of the phone was quiet.

I let the silence hang for a moment, "You're not doing very well are you?"

"No."

"Hey, how about if I take you out. Nothing fancy. Just you and me. We'll go to Tony's."

"I wouldn't be very good company."

"Garbage! You're incredible company."

I drove over and picked her up, then to Tony's Bar & Grill for dinner. Erin proceeded to have a couple of glasses of wine too many. Afterward, I drove her home and steadied her as she stumbled up the steps. I made sure the babysitter was paid, saw her to bed, then left.

We had planned on going snowshoeing the next day -- Valentine's Day. I received a text: Can we postpone for a day? I forgot to make red cupcakes for Jacob. It's a tradition.

Same time?

I received a thumbs up.

I wasn't up for a solo hike so I spent an hour and a half on my treadmill, exercising through my unrequited love.

When I was done, I took my sweaty body to the kitchen where I started to prepare dinner. I heard a loud banging from the back door. Opening the door and found Erin holding a single red cupcake on a plate. I was dumbfounded, just staring at her.

She smiled, "Can I come in? It's kind of cold."

"I'm sorry. How rude of me." I stepped back and Erin stepped in, tears flowing.

"Eric, I have been blind. I'm idiot." She handed me the plastic wrapped plate. "I have ignored the one man who has loved me unconditionally through thick and thin. Will you forgive me?"

My heart was pounding as I set the plate down, "Can I give you a hug?"

She threw herself into my arms, landing a kiss. "You can do more than that."