Victoria

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm not lazy! My heart hurts!"

"Well our stomachs'll be 'urtin soon if ya don't get in this wagon! Ya aint 'ad tha store open all week! Life goes on, Tori! We still need things an we need ya ta do what ya said ya would!"

"I will be out in a moment," she answered softly, miserably.

She kept going for Newhaven, but her heart was no longer in it. She still loved helping people and inviting new families in, but now she felt lost and alone.

After a year passed, more than one man asked after her, but she refused to even speak of it to anyone.

When Tucker rode into town, telling her he had heard about Caius and he had come to say he was sorry for her loss and ask if she might like to come back to Montrose, she had some very choice words for him. Words about holding a girl down for another man to rape and the audacity of coming to ask after her after. He left, ashamed. She guessed that he had thought she had forgiven Lane, and therefore him as well, but she still hated all of them.

The following year, she sent a group of men north along the river, showing them on the map where there was nothing close for days. They needed a new place, Newhaven was getting too full. Another town was founded and anyone who could be spared was sent north to help build. She named it O'Dowd, after her gentle giant.

It was while so many were gone that a new group showed up. A group unlike anything she had ever seen before. Their wagons were wooden houses on wheels and painted in a dozen different colors. They were beautifully exotic looking and Victoria was a little confused by them

Bill was among several who told her not to allow them, they were gypsies. Thieves. Snake oil salesmen and worse.

Victoria shook her head. "I cannot believe my ears! You realize these are the same sorts of things people said about all of you? Horrible awful things that aren't true! We can give them a chance. A place here. They can abide by our rules, or leave."

They all deferred to her wishes and the new group was allowed in, though they kept themselves a little apart. Most stayed in their wagons and circled them into their own little village. There was always music and dancing of an evening, always laughter.

Victoria was curious about them and wondered why they were so aloof if they wanted to be a part of Newhaven.

She walked over to their wagons on fall evening, moving to stand near Rayne, who led their caravan.

"You have a thing on your mind, yes?" he asked her with his usual smile.

"I only wanted to talk. You came to Newhaven to find a place that would accept you, but you aren't trying to integrate?"

"We want a place to live as we wish, a place that will not harm us or hate us. We can do that here, no one making us leave. Patron, you come to see your grandfather now?" he asked a young man who had walked up.

"Mama asked me to tell you that she cannot come tonight. Her head again."

"We have a doctor in town," Veronica said quickly, to the tall young man who was smiling down at her.

"Just that, Patron? I already knew she was not coming, she told me this morning when I went to see her. I think it has more to do with the beautiful young woman standing next to me, yes?"

Patron grinned at her again as he looked her over. "You have a name, little one?" he asked her, his voice smooth and charming.

"Victoria, but everyone calls me Tori. If your mother is sick, we have a doctor in town, he's very good."

"It is well, she has headaches sometimes is all. Walk with me, little Tori?"

She looked up at him, then smiled ruefully. "I came to speak to Rayne. It was nice to meet you, Patron."

"You have a husband?" he asked her, leaning on the wagon instead of leaving.

"Widowed. Twice actually."

"Twice? One so young as you?"

"Yes. Pneumonia and heart attack."

"So very sad for you. Perhaps you need someone to take your mind off your troubles?"

"I think you seem like you are a great deal more trouble, actually," she answered, half laughing.

"Already you know me so well?" he asked, also smiling. "If I wanted to find you among all of that wood and stone," he said, gesturing at the town, "where would I look?"

"Most days, the general store. If not, ask almost anyone and they can tell you where I am."

"Anyone? So in demand you are that all would know of you?"

"Rayne, perhaps we can talk later? I would like to know more about you and your people if you wouldn't mind," she said, turning her attention back to the old man.

"I will be here," he answered with a nod.

Victoria went back into town, hearing Patron chuckling as she left.

She should not have been surprised when he came into the store a few days later. "Little Tori," he said, looking around. He looked more exotic and handsome in the daylight. His long black hair was pulled off of his face on the sides and he had gold hoop earrings in both ears. Something she had never seen on a man. He also had tattoos up his arms . His clothes were colorful and he wore a heavy sash like a belt. He was striking and so different.

"Hello again," she answered. "Something you need, or just browsing?"

"I did as you suggested and asked after you. You did not say that all of this was you," he said, making an all encompassing gesture towards the town.

"It wasn't. It took a lot of hands and a lot of hardworking people to make Newhaven. Same hands that are building O'Dowd now."

"The new one up river. Also your idea. I talked to many about you. You speak for the town. Make it so no one cheats you. You send out ads. Word of mouth. All asking people to come here. Do you make a fortune off of the people who come here, with only this store to buy from?"

"Did you ask the people how the prices here were? I'm guessing you didn't. What do you need, Patron? Fabric? Needles? Flour? Salt? Ask me how much for salt."

"Very well," he smiled. "How much for salt?"

"Free. How much for sugar. Ask."

"I see. Everything is free. How do you manage that?"

"Used to be we traded out our own wares for things, especially the things our blacksmith made. After we lost him, Olle tried to step up, but he can't work like Caius did. So we supplement. Us women make quilts. We charge at the saloon for ale, whiskey and wine. We charge at the inn for people passing through, traders and travelers. I charge here for traders and travelers, but not people who live here. We have other things we sell here too. It's enough that we can keep things at a minimum for our town. For another couple years at least. Is that all you needed, Patron?"

"No. No, little Tori. I wish to see you again. Come tonight to the wagons and dance with me. Sit with me and have dinner with my family."

"I can't be out late tonight, I have to leave before sunrise to pick up a shipment at the bridge."

"You must pick up yourself? No proxy?"

"No, they prefer to deal with me."

"It would be in your favor to have a man who could dress as your people do and pass, yes?"

"If you are suggesting yourself, then it won't work. You look as exotic as you are."

"If I dressed as one of you and altered some things, I could pass."

"You still talk like your people."

"It is not so different? And I can... alter the way I speak, yes? You could teach me? I could practice saying things as you do."

"The offer is nice, but it's easier to just keep doing it myself."

"So I will come here when you are here and you may teach me. Then you will not be out any time, is that not so? I will not keep you late... come tonight and eat with me."

"Not tonight, thank you. Perhaps another time."

"The day after tomorrow?"

"It's Sunday. After church, all the women gather there and have a sewing circle."

"Church?"

"Yes, the building where they have school during the week."

"You attend this church?"

"After the service ends, I go to the sewing circle. I don't go to church other than the circle."

"So. Any day I name you will have something other?"

"No, I didn't say that. Look, Patron... Like I told you. I am twice widowed. I have a lot on my plate taking care of Newhaven. As charming as you are, I don't think..."

"Do not speak too soon, little Tori," he said quickly, grinning."

"How old are you, Patron?" she asked, turning to go pack to working on her ledger.

"Twenty eight?"

"Older than I thought for someone who takes nothing seriously."

"How old are you, little Tori? Sixty? Seventy? Even my grandfather does not have such a small sense of humor and so large a sense of responsibility."

"You are very funny."

"Younger than myself, but your heart weighs so heavily then? Let me bring light back to you, little Tori. Even if only for an evening."

"Tuesday. I will come see Rayne on Tuesday and if I see you I will eat with you and talk to you and your people."

"And dance with me?"

"I have never danced before."

"It is not hard, I will teach you."

"Let's start with talking and eating."

When Tuesday came around, she had actually forgotten completely. It was greeting the newcomers and seeing them look at the wagons curiously that reminded her. She considered cancelling, she didn't really feel like fending someone off tonight. She decided to get it out of the way so she wouldn't have it to dread.

She fully intended to, right up until Fern went into labor almost a month early. She forgot again for more than two weeks, she was so busy with helping with the new baby and getting orders and working the store.

She got a moment to herself three weeks later and went down to the dock to sit with her feet in the water as the sun was setting.

"I thought it was that you were avoiding me," Patron said, coming up and sitting next to her on the docks.

"You startled me!"

"I had heard when I asked that you are a new aunt?"

"Yes."

"I heard as well that she is not your real sister? It is so I think, she has no likeness to you."

"She was my husband's sister. My best friend. She is still family to me, always. Sorry I forgot to come and see your family, I will see if..."

"Now seems as though you have time. Come and join us, eat. Talk."

Victoria looked over at his lopsided grin and sparkling eyes, studying him for a moment.

"You do nothing for yourself, do you? For the joy of it, without finding a reason you do not deserve it. Why is this? I am not asking for your hand, little Tori, just a kiss perhaps and some shared joy. My mama would not look kindly on marrying anyone but another Romani girl. It is our way. Do your people not know how to enjoy company with no expectations?"

She turned back to the river, watching the last of the light sparkle on the current. "It's my fault," she said finally.

"What is?"

"That Caius died."

"I heard it was his heart and you were not even there."

"I wasn't, I was getting an order... but... it's a bit of a long story. Caius sent away for me. A mail order. My pa answered the ad and brought me up here to him. I was married to him the next morning. Some of the people in Montrose didn't like that he took a wife who wasn't Irish like him. One boy in particular took a shine to me. He... did things. Tried to make it so Caius would have to give me over to him. I told Caius and we tried to run, but he caught up. Took me from Caius with lies. Took me back to Montrose and made me marry him. When he got sick... I didn't try to help him. I let him die. That's why I was punished. That's why Caius was taken from me."

"It is not so, little Tori. That is not how the universe works."

"Universe?"

"A talk for another time, perhaps. It is not how things work. There is no vengeful apparition exacting vengeance. Even so, it is not right, what the boy did. Taking you from your love. I would say if the universe was working as you think, he was getting his own justice, yes? Not just taking you from your husband, but he was perhaps cruel as well? He hurt you?"

"No. He was sweet and kind and loving. After at least. Once he had me in his hands. Before... before he got me away from Caius he kept cornering me and... forcing himself on me. Hurting me. Terrorizing me. His friends helped him, catching me and holding me down for him."

"Seems to me he got what he deserved, dying. You did not kill him, you simply let him die. It is not the same, yes? Your Caius, I have heard much of him. He was a giant, taller even than me, yes?"

"Yes. And huge. He was my gentle giant. Strong and loving and sweet, so quiet and reserved with those rare smiles that made them all the more special."

"A man like that, his heart worked twice as hard as another mans, yes? A heart cannot work so hard on so large a man for so long. It is known. It was no fault of yours, ask your doctor. Large men, they have a long history of heart death early, yes? It is so. I have read much on it. It was not your fault. Be happy that you had your time with him and you loved as you did. Cherish the smiles, yes? Think on what he would want for you. To mourn him all your days or to find happiness again? Learn to smile again?"

"I suppose you are right... but it's so hard. Part of me wants to just go home and cry in my ma's lap and ask my pa what I should do. I can't hardly imagine that I am a woman grown with two husbands in the ground and so many depending on me."

"It is a large burden to bear alone, little Tori, especially for such tiny shoulders. Come. Eat with me and my family and let me teach you to smile again," he said, standing and pulling her up with him. He kept hold of her hand and led her back to the wagons, pulling her through the happy, laughing people. There was a table full of food and everyone was serving themselves from it and sitting around four different bonfires, talking and laughing.

He handed her a plate and grabbed one for himself, piling food on both plates. Victoria had never seen any of the food before, but it smelled good. He led her to one of the bonfires and motioned her to sit next to a middle aged woman.

"Mama, this is Tori! Little Tori, this is my mama, Lavinia. Tori is the girl who started this place and speaks for it."

Victoria blushed and smiled at the woman who was scrutinizing her.

"You are not an Irish or swede or... one of the other who are here?"

"No... I mean. I'm sure at some point that my grandparents grandparents were from somewhere, but I don't know where. I was born in Virginia. Tiny little town, hardly a town at all really. My pa happened to see the ad from a paper a traveler left sitting. Thought it would be good for me to come this way."

"He was so keen to be rid of you?" she demanded.

"Well... the ad was offering quite a sum, and... the boy who was asking after me he didn't like much. Him and his brothers were all... well. I wouldn't want to be alone with any of them. Lee was coming around all the time and Pa was afraid one time he wouldn't be there. He never did nothing, it was just a feeling, you know? And my sisters were all married and... there were a lot more girls than boys our age. Lee was the only one asking after me and Pa said it was because I was too small to work. I couldn't help on farms. I think he thought that if he answered the ad and the man he brought me to didn't know I was so... petite until it was too late, that it would be better than letting the likes of Lee Jenkins have me. Turned out, Caius was happy to have me after all. We were both happy. It worked out. I... I don't know why I am talking so much," she said, laughing nervously and blushing again. "Sorry."

"The man Caius. He was an Irish?" Lavinia asked.

"Yes."

"Your papa did not care?"

"No. Where we are from, we hadn't been around them. He was just a man who talked funny. I didn't know why everyone was treating him and his family so badly, it didn't make sense."

"There is hate anywhere there is no understanding, yes?" she asked.

"It seems that way, sadly. It's such an odd thing. Lane was so incredibly kind and sweet and loving... but when Caius and his family and friends were around, he was so hateful and angry. He was never that way at all unless they were around."

"Lane?"

"Bristoe. My... other husband. I thought Patron told you. I was married to another man briefly."

"You just said your father sold you to the irish?"

"Lane stole me from Caius. Said Caius wasn't allowed to have a girl like me who wasn't Irish. He made me marry him instead. He died that same winter of pneumonia and I came back here to Caius. My real husband."

"I see. Did you poison this Lane?"

"No... but I didn't save him either."

"I would have poisoned such a man. Patron, she is small. No bigger than a child. Are you sure?"

"Of course, mama," he said with a laugh. "Eat little Tori," he encouraged.

Victoria ate some of the spicy and exotic food, but couldn't stomach much of it. He handed her a cup of something and she wrinkled her nose as she smelled it.

"Just wine!" he told her. "It tastes better than it smells and it grows on you! Drink! Then come and dance with me!"

She sipped it and he was right. It smelled awful, but had a sweet, tangy taste that made her tongue tingle. She drank it down as he stood, then took the hand he was offering as someone got out a fiddle and started playing. Pipes and drums joined in and other people got up to dance, spinning around the fires joyously.

Victoria laughed, feeling her soul lighten for the first time in a long time as he spun her around and taught her to dance. It was fun and exciting to be surrounded by so many happy people who were living in the moment.

Breathless, she pulled away to lean on a wagon and catch her breath. He followed her, grinning. "Little Tori," he said gently, lifting her face up with a finger under her chin. "You like this, yes?"

"It's fun! I can't remember the last time I laughed this much!"

"It is good, yes? You would like to laugh like this often?"

"It's nice. I know I need to have more joy in my life."

"It is well then. I would like to bring this joy to your life. May I kiss you, Little Tori?"

She blushed looking up at him as her mind reeled, then smiled.

He grinned and leaned down, pressing his lips to hers. "Mmm, little Zana, you taste like vin."

"Zana? What's that?" she asked breathlessly, her head still swimming.

"Fairy. Pixie. You. So small and beautiful and magical, yes? It is so, little Zana."

"You think I am magical?"

"You speak words and a city appears. More words and another city. More words and supplies come to you, people come to you. It is magic, yes? You have that in you, that power. It is so."

"That's just... just... Patron, I'm a little dizzy."

"The vin. It is well. Come," he urged, pulling her out and to another fire where Rayne was standing with Lavinia.

"She has agreed?" Rayne asked.

"Yes. She wished for happiness, she has said the words. Yes, little Zana?"

"Happy... yes. It's been fun... Patron... I feel like I might like to lay down. I think I should go home."

"Soon, Zana. Bun?"

Victoria blinked at Patron, then Rayne as he began talking. Lavinia came around and held her other arm, helping to hold her up as she blinked and tried to see around her. She saw others gathered as well and distantly she realized the music had stopped. She looked back at Patron and his lopsided grin as he looked down at her, then closed her eyes as sleep took her.

She woke with a start and winced, then looked around uncertainly. She had no idea where she was. She was in a bed, but not her own and this bed seemed to be in a closed in box with only a couple feet of room. She had room to sit up and she did, then yanked the sheet up when she realized she had no clothes on.

She looked down at Patron in the bed next to her, blocking the exit from the bed.

"Patron!" she yelled, horrified. "What happened!?! Where am I?"

He rolled, going up on an elbow as he rubbed an eye sleepily. "Good morning Zana. Do you not remember?"

1...456789