Virginia is for Lovers

Story Info
A hiking groups finds quarantines in a remote cabin.
20.7k words
4.57
9.8k
13
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's note:

I wrote 90% of this story in Spring of 2020 with the obvious inspiration from real-world events. It was sitting in my unfinished pile for almost nine months since I couldn't figure out the ending. I finally wrapped it up the past week. Hopefully you'll enjoy!

###

Virginia was beautiful this time of the year. It had been two months since Jacob and Ariel had started their through-hike.

It was also empty. Due to a very mild winter they had elected to start earlier, and try to beat the crowd. It was both a boon and a curse. After so many years apart they had a fantastic opportunity to reconnect with nobody else to talk to.

The issue was, sometimes you wanted someone else to talk to. Thus, they were glad to have met Liz and Buzz a week earlier. The girls, both experienced winter hikers, had started earlier and were going a bit slower than Jacob and Ariel, but having company was absolutely worth shaving a bit of time from their finish time. Besides, their bodies ached and a slower pace would let them recover a bit.

Liz was very talkative. At 27 she was two years older than Jacob or Ariel and once they all settled in their emergent roles she was also the undisputed social butterfly and the person others looked to for making decisions.

Buzz was not quite Liz's opposite, but it was clear she was more the quiet, introspective type. Jacob thought she was fun and interesting to talk to, but she rarely initiated contact, and Jacob wasn't sure if he should keep pushing or back off.

"Oh, don't worry about that," Liz said one morning when Jacob brought it up. They had been hiking in pairs for the past few days, with Liz and Jacob as the first pair and Ariel and Buzz as the second one. Sun was already high in the sky, but it wasn't particularly warm. At least there wasn't snow here.

"She's just a bit slow to warm up to people. Once you get past that she's the best friend anyone could hope. Just takes time. I guarantee she likes it whenever you talk to her."

She rubbed her chin before continuing.

"Oh, but just so there's no misunderstanding, she's not really a dating type. So depending on what you're after, don't have that sort of expectations."

"Nothing like that!" Jacob exclaimed. "I was just worried she'd think I'm rude or invasive. Or trying to hit on her. I'd just like to know her better. Ariel I know, and you I feel I'm starting to know, but her...I don't know what she's like."

"Yeah, I thought so. You seem like a genuine, respectful guy. Which is also why I wanted to give you heads up. You guys, Ariel and you, are cool, so if I can avoid any awkwardness that might cause our group to split I'm glad to do it. So you guys aren't...?"

"Dating? Nah, nothing like that. We've known each other for way too long for that. She feels like a cousin or something like that."

"Cousin? Oh, that's right. You guys aren't from the South. It makes sense now."

"Very funny," Jacob said but couldn't hide his smile. "So what's your story?"

"Nothing special, honestly. Went to college. Found a boyfriend. Graduated and started a job. Broke up and found another boyfriend. Broke up, called up Buzz and started on the AT to forget that asshole."

"What'd he do? Do I even want to know?"

"The usual. Slept with a friend of mine."

Her pace slowed, and she turned her face away.

"I'd rather not talk about it. Still a sore topic."

"Sorry. If it's any consolation the same thing happened to me in college."

"Life sucks."

"Yeah, and then you meet new cool people."

###

This would be a special day. After several days in the wilderness it was finally time for civilization again. In this case what qualified as a civilization was a small town where the main attractions for locals were a lumberyard and a gas station. However, the town also had a cabin rental business, the highlight of any through-hikers' week.

The town and the cabins were not too far from the trail and since it was still early they just walked there instead of hitching a ride or calling a taxi.

The man behind the desk in the office area was old and gruffy, but his eyes were kind. His name tag said "Doug".

"Uh hi. We'd like a cabin for a night," Liz said to the man.

"Uh huh. How big? We have...let's see...well, looks like we only have one size available. You're the only ones here so you get to pick, but really, they're all the same."

"Are they enough for four people? Or is it better to take two?"

"Sure one is enough. It's a bit tight but if the other two are the same size and shape as you two then you should be fine for one night."

"Awesome. How about we just take the closest one, then."

Ariel and Buzz arrived about an hour later.

"Finally! I can literally not get this pack out of my back soon enough," Ariel declared as she collapsed against the wall without taking the pack off.

Buzz dropped hers, much more carefully, and gave out a sigh. "It's really nice. Cozy and functional."

"You mean 'small' and 'bare', don't you?" Liz jested.

"Well...that is also accurate," Buzz answered.

The cabin had a grand total of one room, plus a tiny chemical toilet. There was a small table in the corner with four stools, and a separate foldable counter for cooking with a hot plate that was included in the rental price.

Functionally the cabin was a solid-walled tent with a few extra features. Still, it was warm and waterproof, which meant it was pure luxury for people who'd been cold and miserable for the past week.

Buzz started to change into her dry clothing, which finally gave Ariel the kick to wiggle her arms free from pack straps and start digging for her own clothes.

Jacob didn't even notice when Buzz pulled her shirt off. He was too focused on whether his rook should move forward or capture Liz's knight. There wasn't a lot of privacy on the trail and he'd already seen the girls in underwear more times than he could remember. There had been a few times when he'd seen more than that, especially with Ariel, but he didn't want to think about that in a place with no privacy to retire to his own thoughts.

Ariel followed Buzz, though unlike her, she always turned her back to the rest of the groups despite wearing a sports bra. Nothing wrong with that. Jacob also tried to turn away whenever exposing his underwear, especially if he was developing a semi.

After the newcomers had changed and hung their damp clothes to dry they proceeded to spread the sleeping pads on the floor and then shamelessly enjoy the best part of cabin life: resting. The rest of the afternoon was spent napping, browsing the internet, playing chess with Jacob's tiny magnet board, and even a few card games, though those tended to get too competitive so everyone tried to avoid them.

"Okay, you lazy bums. It's time for dinner!" Ariel said after she lost her third chess game in row to Buzz.

"What's for food, mom?" Jacob asked.

"Let's see. We have...granola bars or granola bars! Oops. Should have gotten resupply before collapsing here."

"Toss me a raspberry one?" said Liz. "We can do resupply tomorrow morning."

It was about 7pm when they were done munching. There was no running water in the cabin, but the rental office had a water tap on the outside. Jacob was nominated by a 3-1 vote to go refill everyone's water bottles for the night.

It wasn't too bad. Filling bottles from a tap was much easier than from a stream, and it was good to get some fresh air. The air was clean and crisp.

When he was halfway done with the bottles Doug came out, short of breath.

"Oh good, you're here! Did you hear?"

"Hear what?" Jacob asked.

"The virus. It's gotten really bad. Thousands of new cases just in one day. They predict ten thousand per day in just a few days."

"Oh right. I was reading something about it just a few minutes ago on my phone."

"Yeah. So the governor has just enacted martial law and a state-wide lockdown."

"What? Seriously?"

"Afraid so."

"Holy shit. We were about to buy resupply from that BP station in the morning."

"Forget it. All businesses are to close. National Guard will set up locations to distribute food and medicine, that sort of stuff."

"Damn... That sounds serious. But we're here in this town kinda away from everyone."

"Makes no difference. The way people are moving around it's just a matter of time before someone here gets infected, and then two weeks later we'll all be sick. They said everyone, in every town. Exceptions for law enforcement, healthcare, that sort of stuff."

"Okay, so-"

"I'm not finished. They also say that all hospitality providers, which means me, can keep the current guests but must enforce strict lockdown procedures. Basically, I'm not allowed to let you leave. I'm not going to lie, I have no way to prevent you from packing up and continuing on the trail, but I ask you not to do that. Just stay here for as long as they ask. I'll go pick up food from National Guard every two days or so and bring it to your door."

"Uh, let me break the news to my group. Can you give me the office number so I can call you?"

The girls were as shocked as Jacob had been to hear the news. Since they had been cut off from communications the past week they had missed the explosive growth that had taken the whole nation by surprise. However, they agreed (with a 4-0 vote this time) that they should absolutely stay put. Even if they continued on their way it seemed likely all the stores would be closed, and it might be impossible to find another cabin to take them in.

Jacob called Doug with their decision and the older man sighed in relief.

"Thank you. I hope you have a good stay here. It will be free, of course. Don't worry, the state will reimburse me. Just call me if you need something."

###

Although their plans had been derailed they tried to make the best of it. In fact, it was great at first. When you're on the trail you're always counting hours to the next break, the next campsite, the next place with roof. Jacob could feel his body start to repair all the wear and tear he'd put it though, and the others echoed similar sentiments.

They passed their days doing very little productive aside from updating their friends and families that they'd shelter in place in this place and would wait until the quarantine ends.

The bliss of having to do nothing started to wear off quick. By the evening of their third day open hostilities had been declared.

"Ariel! Keep your elbow on your own side!" Liz yelled.

"My elbow is in the right place. It's your ass that's on my side," she retorted.

"Hmmpf."

"Did someone eat the Pop-Tart from my military rations?" Buzz asked.

"I did, yeah. I thought you didn't want it," Jacob said.

"If I didn't want it I would have put it on the table, like we specifically agreed to do. Why would you go through my stuff just to take one that I was saving for a snack," she said, her voice breaking a little bit at the end.

"Wait! I did eat the one from the table. I didn't go through your stuff."

"Oh. Oh, yeah, I found it. It was under some stuff," she replied. "Uh, sorry Jacob."

"It's fine. Uh, guys, why are we fighting with each other?" he asked the group.

Liz sat up, her ass still on Ariel's pad.

"Yeah. Why are we? Everyone, we need a team meeting. Huddle up."

"Liz, we are already as huddled up as one can be," Buzz said.

"Right. Well, Jacob is right. We shouldn't be fighting. I know we are all getting stir crazy here and we're worried about the virus, but arguing with ourselves is just going to make it worse. Whether we like it or not we'll be stuck here for a while. Let's not make it worse than it has to be."

Ariel sat up next to her, side by side.

"Yeah. I'm sorry, Liz. I intentionally hit your butt with my elbow earlier. I'm just somehow so tense, like I have no patience."

"Me too," Buzz said. "I lashed out at Jacob really easily. I don't even like Pop-Tarts."

"Same here," Jacob added. "The reason I slam the door so hard every time I go get water is because I'm pissed that I'm the one who has to get water even though I like it and getting to pick the military ration first is more than worth it."

"Okay, so we've all been assholes here," Liz concluded. Everyone nodded. "Time for some real talk. I don't know about you guys but I know why I'm like that."

There was expecting silence. "So, uh, there have been some personal care routines that have been neglected. Yeah, we all smell, but that's not the worst part. I'm talking about some self-care. The type that doesn't happen in tiny, shared cottages. Y'all feel me?"

There were some nervous, shy nods, so she continued.

"I mean we were in the wilderness for a week, and I can't really...you know, there in a cold tent. So we get here and I just want to pretend to sleep late when you guys go get the resupply and get some relief. But no."

More nods.

"Come on, get it out, you lot," she demanded when nobody said anything. Finally, she looked at Buzz with daggers in her eyes.

"Fine. You guys know why she calls me Buzz? It's not because I'm a Space Ranger. It's because I carry every girl's most essential hiking tool with me. It's waterproof and I really, really wanted to use that camp shower that's now closed."

Liz smiled and Buzz continued.

"So yeah. I wasn't very discreet when I was younger, and people kept hearing a buzzing sound from my tents at night. So nowadays it's showers."

Ariel went next.

"Thanks Liz for bringing this up. I feel it's very important and we shouldn't neglect it even in this weird situation. So...my thing is my pillow. Jacob, you remember that pillow case I bought, that you think I always just forget to put on the pillow? It's not that I forget, it's that I use it as a cover for when I'm using the pillow for things that are not sleeping. I can do that in my own tent pretty easily, but since we had to camp closer to each other this past week I didn't want to try."

All eyes turned to Jacob. His penis had woken up at the descriptions of how his hiking group masturbated, and he was trying his best to hide it under the sleeping bag that was on his lap.

"Eh..." he said, but froze, unable to continue.

"Jacob?" Liz said.

"Well... this is so embarrassing. Obviously I do it too, and obviously I do it on the hike. I just don't want you guys to think I'm a pervert who thinks about people I hike with when I do it."

"Well, do you?" Buzz asked.

"No! And I'm not just saying that. You see...I don't think about girls I know. I've never done it. Even girlfriends, nope."

"We get it. So, more details now that we've established how you don't do it?" Buzz continued.

"Well I kinda like to do it on my back. The issue for a guy is that it can get pretty messy, so I like to do it where I know I can take a shower soon after. I could also do it in the shower but on my back just feels nicer. So, I kind of hold it until these pit stops and then always take a shower in the morning."

"But you said you 'Wanted to start the day off fresh'," Ariel giggled.

"What else I would say. 'Oh hey, I masturbated last night so I need to wash it off before we leave'? Besides, what about that time when you asked to use my backup pillow because your 'neck was hurting'?" he replied.

"My neck was hurting! Though to be fair, it was hurting because I couldn't use my own pillow, since it was kind of soaked. You may remember I got that pillow case with the next resupply. So don't worry, your pillow was only used for sleeping."

"Seems like we have all been neglectful," Liz interjected. "And to avoid an open war we should probably find a way to resolve this. Any ideas?"

"We could just take turns going outside for a walk while one of us stays inside?" Buzz suggested, excitement in her voice.

"That could work. Other suggestions?"

"Well if it's sounds you guys are worried about we could agree to all listen to music for a given hour or so during the evening," Ariel added. "I don't know about you but I don't know if I can relax if I know my friends are shivering outside while I do my thing."

"Well, miss genius, how do you know everyone is listening to music and not listening to you?" Buzz retorted.

"Honestly, Buzz, I'm not sure if I would even care. I feel you girls probably know what a girl doing it sounds like already."

All eyes turned to Jacob, again.

"What? No! I would absolutely not listen to anyone. Why do you gotta make me seem like some perv."

"I was thinking more that I haven't really heard a guy before," Liz grinned. "My music might just accidentally stop, who knows."

"That's not funny, Liz," Jacob protested, but Liz and Buzz were already giggling uncontrollably.

"So what about the grinders among us?" Liz continued, looking at Ariel. "Do you suggest we also wear blindfolds? It gets dark but not that dark."

"I was kind of hoping everyone would be too focused on their own thing to care about others. Besides, I'll be inside my sleeping bag on my tummy. Riding sitting up is reserved for special occasions."

"Well, I'm stealthy as well so I don't mind. Any other ideas?"

"Wait! This may be all fine for you but I can't just do it inside the bag or it will get sticky," Jacob said.

"Do you have a better suggestion?" Liz said.

"Well, ordinarily I could use a sock, but my socks aren't really in a state that I'd want to touch anything intimate with them."

Liz made a fake gag noise. "I understand. Can you use something else?"

"If we had a washing machine then yeah I'd have plenty. But Doug said the machine is broken and the town laundromat is also closed since someone was coughing inside."

"Shit! And I thought it was such a good plan otherwise," Ariel cursed. "Okay, let's try to solve this somehow. I already got my hopes up and I'm not going to quell them now."

"The more I think about this idea the more I like it, Ariel," Buzz said, quietly. "Sorry I criticized it earlier. So...Jacob...could you use someone else's clothes?"

"Come again? In theory, yeah, anything that's not too rough would work."

"Well... I'm carrying spare, unused panties. You know, once a month ladies have stuff that might lead to accidents, so it's better to have spares. You're welcome to have one pair."

Jacob opened his mouth to say something, but he was interrupted by Liz.

"Fantastic! It's settled then. How about we try it and see how it goes. Can everyone promise to respect each other's privacy and not try to peek, listen in, or anything like that?"

"I will!" Ariel shouted, way too loud.

"Me too," Buzz added.

"Yeah. Absolutely. No peeking, music on," Jacob nodded in agreement.

"I will too, of course," Liz finished. "I move to a vote that we go to bed early tonight. How about thirty minutes for peeing and brushing teeth. Lights off and everyone in their bags by eight to get comfortable and to get all the equipment ready, and eight fifteen music turns on. Minimum playlist duration of one hour. All in favor say 'Yay!'"

After the easiest 4-0 in the history of voting everyone sprung to action. Ten minutes later they were all back, stripping to their underwear inside the sleeping bags. Ariel's pillow had the pillow case on.

"So, Jacob, do you have a preference?" Buzz asked. They were situated next to each other, with Buzz against the wall, then Jacob, Ariel and Liz against the other wall.

"For the...uh...the underwear?"

"Panties, yes. They're all the same material, but you get to pick between black, purple and light blue."

"How about that light blue then?" Theoretically white spots might be less clear on a more light fabric.

"Good choice," she said and reached for her pack to find the unopened package.

The material was smooth in Jacob's hand, and his penis, now safely inside the sleeping bag, sprung up in anticipation. They were a bit stretchy, with no unnecessary seams, decorations, or other rough parts. Sweet.